Onkyo SBT-A500 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #151 of 170 Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just ordered this and am excited to try it out this Friday. I've been using the Yamaha Yas 107 for a couple weeks and have been happy with it. The DTS Virtual X is very immersive. I just can't pass up the opportunity to try out an actual Atmos/DTS X soundbar for that price, even if the reviews aren't great. I'll keep whichever one I prefer. From reviews I've read this system doesn't sound great out of the box but after some tweaking it can sound much better. I've heard raising the volume of the upfiring speakers a few dB for example. Anyone have any other tips for getting this to sound the best it can?

Also, I'm curious as to where I should place the calibration mic. When me and my wife watch TV or movies, she sits on the left side of the couch which is directly in front of the TV, I sit on the right side of the couch so I'm viewing at an angle. Should i place the mic in between where we sit or just where she sits? Or does it matter at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I put the calibration mic right between where my wife and I sit, I sit just to the right , and she sits just to the left. I found it to be a good baseline for all the channel levels, however I did find myself increasing the height channels and the center a bit and now the sound is fantastic. I have a medium size, relatively rectangular room with flat 10’ ceilings. You can really fine tune the sound with all the features on this thing. Overall for the price it’s at now, you can’t go wrong, and the subwoofer blends very well with the bar itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #153 of 170 Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM

This is going to be a tough decision. I was hoping for more out of the Dolby surround enhancer mode. Atmos and DTS X is neat but that's such a small percentage of what I'll be watching. Most of what I watch is either Netflix or shows on Plex with 5.1 AAC so I can't even use Neural X. The DTS Virtual X sounds fantastic with all of that.

Overall the 107 soundstage just has more depth to it. The virtual x has a real home theater feel to it, such a wide and immersive soundstage. The onkyo's soundstage is clearly limited to the soundbar itself. It really only shines when playing Atmos and DTS X. I just don't know if it's worth sacrificing that immersive experience 90 percent of the time so I can experience the height effects the other 10 percent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 170 Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
... to add few cents.
I bought sbt-a500 to my bedroom and it works nicely with LG C7 via ARC out.
I have ps4 pro, apple tv and xbox x plugged in directly into LG and onkyo connected to HDMI (2) ARC TV output.
Not very intuitive setup process (it took time to figure out how to enable hdmi cec/arc control in onkyo) - but after that everything works just fine (atmos, dts, dd).
For 299$ it's perfect solution for bedroom/small apartment.
post #155 of 170 Old 04-29-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got this sound bar on Amazon. I'm replacing a 5.1 system that had separate speakers, because we have a new puppy and she can't help herself and keeps digging out the cables and chewing on them. Seemed like a good fit for our small game room. But I'm disappointed with the sound quality. It's very "in your face" and doesn't surround you at all. I know it's a 3.1 bar and not 5.1, but still.. I was expecting more after so many good reviews. I think I calibrated it right. I put the mic in the middle of our sofa which is right in front of the TV. Cable TV shows sound OK, but on my xbox one x it almost sounds like mono, every sound in the game coming from directly in front of me, background atmospheric sounds like birds chirping used to be quiet, now everything is the same volume.

I have my xbox set to 5.1 surround sound. I notice on the receiver, when mI hit the info button it says multichanel PCM 5.1, and surround enhancer 3.1.2.. why not Dolby Digital? I think that's what it was before on my old receiver.. I can't seem to set this anywhere on the soundbar's receiver.

Also I have everything connected directly into the receiver.. should I change it all to the be through the TV ARC? My TV is a 4K Samsung MU6300 65" .. I tried doing it that way on my old receiver, but it seemed like it wouldn't support 5.1 sound unless it was from a smart tv app like netflix, anything I connected was just stereo.

Any hints on how to calibrate my sound bar better?
post #156 of 170 Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkline View Post
I just got this sound bar on Amazon. I'm replacing a 5.1 system that had separate speakers, because we have a new puppy and she can't help herself and keeps digging out the cables and chewing on them. Seemed like a good fit for our small game room. But I'm disappointed with the sound quality. It's very "in your face" and doesn't surround you at all. I know it's a 3.1 bar and not 5.1, but still.. I was expecting more after so many good reviews. I think I calibrated it right. I put the mic in the middle of our sofa which is right in front of the TV. Cable TV shows sound OK, but on my xbox one x it almost sounds like mono, every sound in the game coming from directly in front of me, background atmospheric sounds like birds chirping used to be quiet, now everything is the same volume.

I have my xbox set to 5.1 surround sound. I notice on the receiver, when mI hit the info button it says multichanel PCM 5.1, and surround enhancer 3.1.2.. why not Dolby Digital? I think that's what it was before on my old receiver.. I can't seem to set this anywhere on the soundbar's receiver.

Also I have everything connected directly into the receiver.. should I change it all to the be through the TV ARC? My TV is a 4K Samsung MU6300 65" .. I tried doing it that way on my old receiver, but it seemed like it wouldn't support 5.1 sound unless it was from a smart tv app like netflix, anything I connected was just stereo.

I too was disappointed with this soundbar and returned it after a week. There's not really anything else out there that matches this soundbar's features: 3.1 channels, decodes every sound format including Atmos and DTS X. If only it didn't sound so bleh. Closest thing is the Sony Z9F but that's just virtual Atmos/DTS X and reviews seem underwhelming for that price point. Then of course there's the ST5000 but that price tag is just insane.
post #157 of 170 Old 04-30-2018, 05:00 PM

I was able to get it working for the most part. I ended up connecting everything to my TV and used the ARC to the receiver. I was having a hard time getting my TV to recognize dolby digital on my xbox, I set the xbox to 5.1 sound and it would keep telling me it can't do it. Then I changed the Xbox sound mode to bitstream, and then that let me select DD. It sounds much better now, but still needs some tweaking.

I think it's a good sound bar for our small game room. Some day maybe we can save up and get a nicer or bigger one. For now having separate speakers isn't gonna be an option anymore.
post #158 of 170 Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkline View Post

For the Xbox One X did you run through the Xbox audio setup and download the Dolby Atmos app for the Xbox One X? Our Xbox One X sounds amazing with this soundbar.

Our Xbox One X settings show:

Speaker audio - HDMI audio, bitstream out
Bitstream format - Dolby Atmos for home theater (HDMI only)

The soundbar info button then shows:

Input: HDMI 4, Dolby Atmos
Output: Surround Enhancer 3.1.2 ch

It really does sound great. If you forget and leave the volume up too high, the Xbox One X startup animation will shake the room. Don't use ARC - connect the Xbox to the receiver unit, then out to the TV. Make sure you're using really high-quality HDMI cables (4K HDR 18 Gbps) as the One X can be finicky with lesser cables.

Last edited by DWBoston; 04-30-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #159 of 170 Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM

Oh, I didn't know I needed a separate app for Atmos. I'll look for that. Will Atmos not work through ARC? I never saw that setting in my TV's sound menus, but maybe it's just because I never had anything that could play it before. Now that I have it all plugged into the TV I kind of like the convenience of not needing to use my soundbar remote anymore, the tv remote controls everything.. works real nice.
post #160 of 170 Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 PM

OK here's a new issue I'm having. I reconnected everything, so the xbox and cable box are once again going directly into the receiver again. I download the Dolby Atmos app for xbox and that's working great now. But, on xbox anyway, every so often the screen will suddenly turn black for a second. Sound keeps going like normal, there's just no picture. I remember this happend the other day before I connected everything through the TV, everything was fine then. Now that I plugged everything back into the receiver, I'm getting these black screens. It just lasts for a second and only happens every other hour or so, but it's pretty annoying especially in the middle of a game. Any idea what could be causing that and / or how to fix? All of my cables are new ultra high speed HDPC 2.2 or whatever it is. Never had issues before, so I don't think it's the cables.
post #161 of 170 Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 296
post #162 of 170 Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Dated reply I know, but with this soundbar below $300 on Amazon I am wondering about grabbing it just for the odd Atmos UHD disk I watch.

I have a full non-Atmos Integra 5.1 setup with Polk LSi speakers all around and a very nice Infinity 12" sub. I know the Onkyo soundbar can't entirely hang with the full system, but I am wondering if folks are getting good to very good results with Atmos content from the Onkyo?

And your opinion on price to performance ratio at $289? Did the firmware update in August 2018 improve the sound quality of the bar at all??

Thanks,

-Chris

Last edited by h1pst3r88; 10-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #163 of 170 Old 02-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 190
From what I've read, can see about the soundbar setup, it appears they used all full-range speakers for the soundbar. There do not appear to be tweeters in any of the speakers, so that probably limited the fidelity from the sound.

I wonder if you could pick up the sound bar and replace the drivers with some good replacements from like partsexpress? I wonder if that would improve the sound, or if they dsp'd the receiver for the cheap fullrange speakers in which case it likely wouldn't matter.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #164 of 170 Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Is there going to be a Dolby Vision update support?
An old post I know but just a heads update they pushed a firmware update this month for Dolby Vision Pass-through
post #165 of 170 Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedSky View Post
An old post I know but just a heads update they pushed a firmware update this month for Dolby Vision Pass-through
Going to check it out.

Quote:
Firmware Update Onkyo SBT-A500 (HTL05 A/V receiver)
(2-5-2019)
We are pleased to offer this firmware update for the best possible
performance of your Onkyo AV Receiver.
This update may be installed via USB or Network. We
recommend USB for faster, more reliable installation.
SBT-A500
(Current Version 2130-0040-2060-0010)
The 2/5/2019 update will address the following and includes
previous updates:
1. Adds support for pass-through function of Dolby Vision signal.
2. Adds support for pass-through function of HLG(Hybrid LogGamma) HDR signal.

3. Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
The 10/11/2018 update will address the following and
Thanks!

Last edited by Movie78; 02-26-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #166 of 170 Old 03-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
2/5/2019 broke the atmos passthrough via arc. I used play netflix and amazon video (jack ryan) with dolby atmos fine but now after the update the listening modes “surround enhancer” and other dont work, only dolby atmos works however folks at onkyo said “it is not suppose to work for atmos via arc and if it was working then it was not right, now it has been fixed, so it should not work and that is working as designed”. This was before when i figgled with the listening modes and found that audio was coming with dolby atmos listening mode (in other listening modes the receiver shows a red atmos/dd+ logo all the time but just does not output any audio at all). I also noticed that one of my android box output no audio when i first turn it on (connected to hdmi1, suppose to send audio from arc to receiver) and for it to work i have to change input to some other hdmi input or play a clip from youtube tv app then audio starts working from arc and android box. Other than screwing arc i think dolby vision and hlg hdr passthroughs are working good. But very dissapointing from onkyo on not recognizing the issue. Please share if your expereince is different after update or arc works with all listening modes (maybe my update did not went correctly? I tried to reflash from usb but there is no way to do that on this receiver? Thanks
post #167 of 170 Old 04-23-2019, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Going to check it out.

Thanks!
Just a warning the newest firmware released 4/18/19 2140-1040-2060-0010 removes Dolby Vision without any warning. I would disable updates if you want to keep this feature, hopefully it is just a bug and not intentional but I'm guessing it is.
post #168 of 170 Old 07-24-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedSky View Post
Just a warning the newest firmware released 4/18/19 2140-1040-2060-0010 removes Dolby Vision without any warning. I would disable updates if you want to keep this feature, hopefully it is just a bug and not intentional but I'm guessing it is.
I just picked up the Integra DLB 5 off Amazon for <$300. I am not limited to the crappy wireless sub so that alone makes it worth it.

I asked Integra if Dolby Vision will be supported and they said no, the latest firmware is the one From 4/19 so there’s your answer. I’m tempted to Try flashing the Onkyo firmware from Feb to the unit. It should work because unlike the Pioneer firmware the firmware seems to be exactly the same, file name, size, etc. I could try renaming the Pioneer firmware (latest dated a few weeks ago) but I imagine it’s also missing Dolby Vision, unless they fixed it.

Edit- It's the same firmware, so the devices are the same, except for the DLB 5 having the sub out.

After using the soundbar a bit I must say I'm pretty impressed. For the money it was well worth it- I find it to be much better than my Yamaha YAS-107, and although the included wireless soundbar leaves something to be desired, the option to replace it with my own makes it an even better deal than it's Onkyo and Pioneer brethren.
For me this is (almost) perfect. I would love to be able to hook up rears to it. Let's see if I can figure out the pin config to the soundbar and make discrete analog outs for each channel. lol

http://download.onkyo.com/ATM0001/ON...SOAO_N_113.zip

I just upgraded to the 115 firmware off the net. Version 117 has been released for the Pioneer, and I found Onkyo's downloadable for 113 (which was the Dolby Vision one) so if anyone needs it, you can grab it. Can you downgrade firmware from USB? I haven't tried because I don't have a DV equipped TV in the bedroom (yet).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.

Last edited by DaveFi; 07-24-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #169 of 170 Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I just upgraded to the 115 firmware off the net. Version 117 has been released for the Pioneer, and I found Onkyo's downloadable for 113 (which was the Dolby Vision one) so if anyone needs it, you can grab it. Can you downgrade firmware from USB? I haven't tried because I don't have a DV equipped TV in the bedroom (yet).

Dave,

I just picked up the Integra with a 3/2017 build date and the original firmware. I used the Onkyo SBT-A500 113 Firmware update and it worked perfectly. Not sure if it is possible to downgrade firmware, however.

I also ordered a Yamaha 207 so I can test it against the Integra after reading this thread, but I am really skeptical the 207 can compete. The Integra is a fantastic deal for the price. I am really impressed.
post #170 of 170 Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The Integra I received shipped directly from Onkyo and looked brand new. I was tempted on flashing 113 but decided against it because I don’t have a display that supports DV in my bedroom anyways.

One thing that bugs me is the surround effects are giving me a lot of echo. Does anyone know how to tone this down? I am tempted to fool around with the settings manually.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page