1Likes
  • 1 Post By jb442386

post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4k HDR Pass Through Soundbar

I have a pretty specific situation that I am trying to figure out. I have an Xbox One S and am going to be purchasing a Vizio M50-D1 and will be setting this up in a very small "gaming room." (Approximately 10 ft x 6 ft) I will be sitting about 6 ft from the tv. Although I would prefer it, I am not going to be going with an AVR, and am looking for a sound bar. I would like a sound bar with multiple in and one out HDMI capable of passing through the full 4k HDR signal coming from the Xbox One S. I will also be connecting a gaming PC (4k capable) and a PS4 (not the PRO, but will likely be upgrading to the pro eventually). One of my major concerns is lip sync problems, which is why I am looking to go with hdmi for sending both video and audio. Currently I am running the Xbox One S on a 70" 2015 4k tv without HDR with audio going to an AVR that isn't capable of passing through the 4k signal, which is why I am moving it to the gaming room (where it probably should be anyway, lol).

Does anyone have any recommendations on which sound bar to go with? I am also up for adjusting my TV option but am looking for an inexpensive 4k HDR (with dolby vision). Total I would like to spend no more than $1200 (the Vizio M50-D1 is currently prices at $649.99). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by msfagnani View Post
I have a pretty specific situation that I am trying to figure out. I have an Xbox One S and am going to be purchasing a Vizio M50-D1 and will be setting this up in a very small "gaming room." (Approximately 10 ft x 6 ft) I will be sitting about 6 ft from the tv. Although I would prefer it, I am not going to be going with an AVR, and am looking for a sound bar. I would like a sound bar with multiple in and one out HDMI capable of passing through the full 4k HDR signal coming from the Xbox One S. I will also be connecting a gaming PC (4k capable) and a PS4 (not the PRO, but will likely be upgrading to the pro eventually). One of my major concerns is lip sync problems, which is why I am looking to go with hdmi for sending both video and audio. Currently I am running the Xbox One S on a 70" 2015 4k tv without HDR with audio going to an AVR that isn't capable of passing through the 4k signal, which is why I am moving it to the gaming room (where it probably should be anyway, lol).

Does anyone have any recommendations on which sound bar to go with? I am also up for adjusting my TV option but am looking for an inexpensive 4k HDR (with dolby vision). Total I would like to spend no more than $1200 (the Vizio M50-D1 is currently prices at $649.99). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if this helps, but I currently own the Sony HT-CT790 soundbar, coupled w/a SonyX930D & Oppo 203 4K Bluray player. All HDMI ports are 4K compliant, & passes audio & video perfectly! Sounds great & suggested retail I believe is about $499. You might want to check the Sony or Best Buy websites for all the relevant specs. Good Luck!
msfagnani likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I currently own the Sony HT-CT790 soundbar, coupled w/a SonyX930D & Oppo 203 4K Bluray player. All HDMI ports are 4K compliant, & passes audio & video perfectly! Sounds great & suggested retail I believe is about $499. You might want to check the Sony or Best Buy websites for all the relevant specs. Good Luck!

This is perfect, thanks a lot. It seems to meet all of my requirements and I'll add it to the list of considerations. Of course while I was looking around I found the Onkyo SBT-A500 and am considering increasing my budget a few hundred dollars for this beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Had the Onkyo SBT-A500. Avoid unless you enjoy ARC problems and HDMI Handshake dropouts.

Some guy
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Had the Onkyo SBT-A500. Avoid unless you enjoy ARC problems and HDMI Handshake dropouts.

I agree. Sending the Onkyo back today.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocanefan View Post
I agree. Sending the Onkyo back today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Thanks a lot. I had a few onkyo receivers that had the same problem. I am definitely hesitant and will probably stay away from the onkyo.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by msfagnani View Post
Thanks a lot. I had a few onkyo receivers that had the same problem. I am definitely hesitant and will probably stay away from the onkyo.
Onkyo input is interesting, i was about to pull the trigger on a Onkyo Reciever for my new finished basement. I will now second guess that decision, and perhaps look at Yamaha.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm loving the Bose SoundTouch 300. I haven't received the newest software update, but have heard the sound quality have improved even further.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm in basically the same position, will be following along to see suggestions!

Sucks that the SBT-A500 isn't any good apparently.. that seemed to fit my needs perfectly.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also in the same situation and have been keeping an eye on the JBL SB450. Waiting for it to go on sale to pounce!

Definitely am open to other suggestions
post #11 of 12 Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I ended up buying the Onkyo SBT-A500 off Amazon..

I'll let you know how it works out!

My setup:

Samsung UN65JS9500
Onkyo SBT-A500
Microsoft Xbox One S (1 gig BF1 model if it matters)
DirecTV HR44 Genie

I have the TV outputting from HDMI4 (ARC) to the Onkyo input (also ARC).
The DirecTV genie is plugged into the Xbox One S (HDMI input).
The Xbox One S is plugged into the "Game" input on the Onkyo (HDMI #4 I think by default, they're all 2.2 capable though).

It's a pretty simple setup. I have a set of Turtle Beach headphones I need to connect optically, but haven't worried about that yet.

At first I had some issues getting my TV app audio to play, then finally realized HDMI ARC wasn't turn on.. oops. Got that sorted out, but I'm not sure if it's outputting Dolby Digital/etc. Need to do some more testing with this.. but I moved on to the Xbox.

Popped in my Oblivion UHD disk and the picture came up and sounded fine, but no Atmos (TrueHD or something). I had to figure out how to enable it on the XB1S (Blue Ray settings, I'm in preview). Got that enabled and restarted everything and it is now successfully outputting an Dolby Atmos signal. It's playing in 4K with HDR and Atmos. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I had a few black screens, and the signal to the TV seemed to disappear, requiring me to turn off the Onkyo and turn it back on to get the signal restored.

After that I figured I'd check for new firmware.. and.. a new version came out yesterday! Took about 10 minutes to download and install (75M/75M FiOS).

Since the update I haven't had any more black screens or dropouts. FYI I'm using all "high speed" cables that came with the Xbox One's I've gotten over the years. I ordered some certified platinum or whatever HDMI cables from monoprice, will use those once they arrive. ARC seems to work fine with the TV now, volume up/down, tv on/off.. etc.

The Atmos is really cool.. I think I probably need to calibrate it some more (and need a tripod..), but it seems like a cool feature.

One issue I've seen is while jumping around chapters/FF in Oblivion UHD the sound got kind of wonky. I'm not sure if this is the Xbox's fault, since the atmos support is beta or what.. but typically pausing and resuming fixes it.

Gonna try some Xbox tonight and watch a couple movies tomorrow.. we'll see how it goes.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, did you get your SBT-A500 to work with the universal Direct TV remote control? I'm having all types of issues trying to get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
soundbar , uhd , Vizio , xbox one