Yamaha YAS-706, has anyone heard it yet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellebob
  • 1 Post By HendersonD

post #1 of 20 Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yamaha YAS-706, has anyone heard it yet?

The Yamaha YAS-706 is a soundbar I am interested in purchasing. It has been on sale for about 4 weeks now. Has anyone heard this soundbar?

It ticks off a lot of features I like:
  • HDMI - 2 in (Sony UBP-X800 UHD Bluray player and DISH) and 1 out with ARC
  • Subwoofer out so I can use my HSU sub
  • 4K passthrough with HDR and HDCP 2.2
  • Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD
  • Yamaha Air-Surround 7.1 - my living room has sloped ceilings and is quite open, not great for Atmos

Last edited by HendersonD; 03-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-04-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
We have one here and I've heard it but not in a great environment and I haven't had a lot of time to play with it or install it yet. Initial impressions is it sounded nice but didn't blow me away for $1k and I would definitely take the Paradigm Soundtrack over it for sound quality. If you have other MusicCast products in your home or want the MusicCast part of it for streaming music than I think it is a good choice. Your Sub might not work with it. Although, it has a subwoofer output Yamaha states it is for their subs and others subs don't work well with it. I know the system connector also connects to the sub if not using it wireless and I don't know if that is needed for the sub to work, the YSP-2700 has the same setup. I haven't tried a separate sub with it though, it is certainly worth a try. Their subs are nothing to write home about

The Air surround never impresses me, I usually just use stereo/music mode on the Yamaha YAS series. The YSP series with sound bouncing off the walls does a much better job for surround effects than using the timing/phase tricks of air surround. This isn't a dig against Yamaha, I'm not fond of the unnaturalness of most sound bars trying to expand the soundstage using phase tricks, it is a tradeoff for sound quality. With the Paradigm I do the same thing and use it in stereo mode. The Yamaha air surround would beat the Paradigm version.

Working in this industry I find a lot of people get focused on specs/features and often lose sight of the final outcome which is the sound. I did the same thing looking for a car where one model had all the features I wanted until I test drove it and it wasn't what I hoped.

If you are looking for a sound bar that is going to give decent surround sound than I would look at the Yamaha YSP-1600. It has a subwoofer out for your sub. You would connect it either with ARC or optical for Dish and TV apps. It does have one HDMI input for your UHD. You would use one HDMI of your UHD for the sound bar and the other to the TV. This sound bar does not pass HDR so you need to use the two connections if your TV has HDR.

if you are looking for better quality sound and don't care as much about surround sound than their are better sounding bars. The Monitor Audio ASB-10 and Martin Logan Vision both under $1K with a subwoofer connection.
karps1987 likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-04-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Whatever soundbar I choose will not be used to play music. I have two HSU speakers and an HSU sub in the same room for music reproduction. I have a full home theater in my basement and rarely do I decode Dolby Digital. I have a Netflix disc subscription and I believe that nearly every Bluray has lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD).

One question, on a soundbar, how important is it to have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD? I guess I am having a hard time thinking about connecting a soundbar with an optical or coax connection.

The Paradigm Soundtrack, Monitor Audio ASB-10, and Martin Logan Vision do not have HDMI so of course cannot decode lossless soundtracks. The convenience of HDMI switching with multiple inputs is also a consideration. I would guess that every manufacturer of soundbars in their next iteration will be also be putting HDMI connections on their product. I have never purchased a soundbar and was surprised when I started doing research how few had HDMI connections. The first place I looked were some of the better speaker manufacturers sites like Martin Logan, Paradigm, B&W and it seems like the last time any of them refreshed their soundbars was 2 or 3 years ago.

The HSU sub I have that is used for music has two connections so I can hook it to a soundbar. You are correct, it seems that most soundbars that come with subs, the subs are not great. My HSU rocks so a sub without a subwoofer out or one that will not work with a sub other than what comes with, I am not interested in. The other thing that surprised me is how few subs have subwoofer out ports.

About two months ago I purchased an LG OLED TV that does have HDR. The Sony UHD player does have two outputs so I could hook one directly to the TV

Last edited by HendersonD; 03-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-04-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The lossless formats are not as important for sound quality. When a Blu-ray is used the DD or DTS is done with the least amount of compression, so it is still a big step up from broadcast and streaming which tends to use a lot more compression. The difference between lossless and the compressed formats with the least amount of compression is not that great. Quality of speakers will definitely have a bigger difference in sound quality.

I think many of the smaller companies chose not to use HDMI because you have to upgrade the hardware too often and it becomes obsolete too quick. HDMI averages a new revision about every 10 months. Big companies like Sony, Samsung, Vizio, Yamaha, etc. have many products with HDMI and a lot more volume. They can handle products getting changed over to the latest version of HDMI a lot easier. HDMI has put many smaller manufacturers out of making HDMI products. The smaller companies that don't use HDMI tend to focus on other things like better speaker drivers for better sound quality. But, most main stream consumers buy features and specs.

I agree HDMI switching is convenient especially if it is not convenient to have all the HDMI go to the TV and have it do the switching. I know Paradigm had a preview of their next sound bar coming out in a few months and it does have HDMI. I hope they hired more people to handle calls for their tech support line
post #5 of 20 Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am not in a huge rush to purchase a soundbar so I might just wait and see what the likes of Paradigm, B&W, and Martin Logan release over the next 6-8 months. I am hoping with the advent of UHD and HDCP 2.2 that the HDMI standard does not change as quickly as it has and most manufacturers start incorporating multiple HDMI ports in their soundbars.

The other thing I found is soundbars with subwooofer out often have the crossover really high like 500Hz. That is fine if you have the sub close to the soundbar but if you want to place the sub in another location, the high crossover makes it localize the low frequency sound. I wish more soundbars went down to the 80 to 100Hz range and then let the user select that for the crossover point to a sub that is cabled to the soundbar.

I am also considering purchasing small left, center, right speakers to fit under the TV (I have about 7" under the TV) and then purchasing a lower end receiver. In the end this might yield better 3.1 sound, I can choose speakers that go closer to 80Hz so I can use the sub on the other side of the room, get HDMI switching, and lossless audio. If I move the mount up a bit for my TV I could have about 9" below the TV

If I went this route, are there speakers you would recommend?
post #6 of 20 Old 03-04-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDMI just announced a new version in January and it is a significant change to get ready for 8K. The chips won't be shipping until later this year and probably a while after that before products start showing up and even longer before content is readily available. But, it is coming and the current receivers and sound bars will not be able to repeat the signal to the TV.

You are correct some sound bars and small speakers that only have 1" or 2" full range drivers have to use higher crossovers. As consumers want smaller sound bars you will see more of this happening. Using a receiver and three speakers or a passive sound bar is a good option. I like the three speakers because you can usually get the speakers a little further apart than a sound bar and I like when the drivers can be arranged vertically for better dispersion. A limitation with most sound bars. Although the sound bar wins for aesthetics usually. There are so many good speaker brands out there, here are a few I can think of.

Paradigm MilleniaOne - One of my favorite small speakers. It measures great on and off axis
Focal dome - another great choice
Kef Q300 - Place it on its side, it 6.5" woofer will definitely have more oomph (technical term) than many of the smaller speakers. And with its coax driver you don't worry about vertically arranged drivers
Monitor Audio Radius 90
Atlantic Technology LCR2
Episode 500
post #7 of 20 Old 03-05-2017, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Over the past few years I have read quite a few good reviews on the Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers. I also looked at the Focal dome's online but it seems difficult to purchase just 3 of these where the Paradigm are sold as a 3 pack among other configurations. Two questions:
  1. If I go for the Paradigms, I have two choices for placement of the L/R pair. The center would need to go on its side since I have 7" below my TV. In one configuration the L/R would be below the TV on their side. The other configuration would have them upright to the left and right of the TV. Does it make any difference whether the L/R are upright or on their side? I have 53" left to right below my LG OLED TV
  2. Any suggestion for a receiver or integrated amp to drive this setup?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

1. It is usually preferred to place speakers vertically for dispersion reasons. When drivers are arranged vertically you will have better dispersion horizontally. When you place it on its side you lose horizontal dispersion, as long as you seating is +/- ~15 degrees it won't be a problem. So I would use upright, plus you will get better separation.

2. Most of them are pretty good. The company I work for we deal mostly with Yamaha Aventage series and Anthem although they do have access to other brands. Occasionally I will see a Marantz. Anthem is my favorite but pricey. although, you can use it as a measurement system to find the best location for your sub and speakers. Yamaha has a lot of tweaking capability which as a calibrator I like. Yamaha is the only one that makes their own receivers in their own plant, their reliability is top notch. Every other mainstream manufacturer has their product made by other companies. Yamaha's least expensive models are outsourced, it is too expensive for Yamaha to compete on the low end and make it in their factory.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-06-2017, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just sent an email to Paradigm to see if their soon to be released PW soundbar that you mentioned will have a sub out
The Martin Logan Cadence has a sub out, not sure when it is going to be released or how it will sound
The Pioneer Elite FS-EB70 also has a sub out and looks interesting. Dolby Atmos will probably not work well in my room but I am assuming I could setup this particular soundbar as just 3.1

Any opinion on these three product?
post #10 of 20 Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't heard any of these and but I can guess based on the specs or the ones we know. The Pioneer is using a high crossover (180hz) due to their small drivers to keep the size of the sound bar more attractive to average buyers. I doubt it will perform great with those limitations. For sound quality the 3.1 system is your best option. I understand the convenience of the sound bar for both aesthetics and integration.

The Paradigm and Martin Logan bars I believe are basically the same with maybe some minor DSP tweaks between them. They are both using nine 2.5" full range drivers which I think will require a higher crossover and have limited highs. There is only so much that can be done with 2.5" drivers. It does show they have a subwoofer output. I think these companies are catering to market demands and not products for the best sound quality. I don't know if their current line up will be discontinued but I bet the current lineup with 4" drivers and tweeters plays louder, has better sound due to a lower crossover and better highs. I know many of the larger sound bars simply do not sell well.

For aesthetics, if you are willing to use a receiver a passive sound bar might be a good option or use a mini-amp if you don't want the receiver. The Phase Technology Teatro PC3.0 is a very good sound bar that has vertically arranged midrange and tweeter with a 5.25" woofer and is 7" tall. There are lots of passive options and some that can be custom sized to match the width of your TV. There are lots of options for passive sound bars.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

As I mentioned before I have a full home theater in my basement. My family room upstairs is where the problem lies. I have two HSU speakers on one wall with a nice HSU sub, all to provide music. The TV is on another wall perpendicular to where my HSU speakers are. If I put three Paradigm MilleniaOnes with the TV it will sound great mated with the same sub. The HSU sub has two line level inputs so I can use it with my HSU speakers for music or the Paradigms for TV and movie watching.

The difficulty is what to drive all of this with. I have an older Denon receiver that I use with the HSU setup now and it works fine since it has sub out and the crossover set at 80Hz. A 7.1 receiver would allow me to drive the Paradigm's and have base management for the sub. I could use the back two channels to drive the HSU speakers but there is one big gotcha. It appears that any receiver that is used to drives speakers in a zone 2, the sub is not active. That means I need to use some type of setup to drive the HSU speakers and sub and a different setup to drive the Paradigms and the sub.

You are correct, this will all sound better than any soundbar on the market. Having two separate setups (two AV receivers) to drive my upstairs along with the control pieces (iRule, SimpleControl, etc.) adds expense and complicates matters.

My only hope is to possibly drive the HSU speaker and sub setup via speaker inputs. In other words, use an AVR to drive the Paradigms with a line level to sub and then wire the same AVR with speaker cable to the sub and then the HSU speakers. I have to see if the HSU sub will handle the crossover in this situation.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I understand your situation a little better now that you described the room. in your situation I think I would go back to the powered sound bar that you can connect to the sub. I think things would just get two complicated or costly otherwise with either two receivers or a speaker switching device to alternate between the HSU and other system. Is it too hard to use your TV as the HDMI switcher? If not I would give up the check mark for lossless sound and just use an optical from your TV to the sound bar.

In the best of systems when they have done studies on the difference. The results were it was difficult for people to tell lossless from the compressed formats at their highest bit rate, which is what Blu-ray players do. Now at lower quality bits rates it became much easier to tell the differences. As humans we think we are missing out on something if it doesn't have all our check marks. Maybe in this case it is but the difference would be very minor at best with a sound bar.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

If I give up the HDMI switching and settle for dolby digital, this certainly opens up more possibilities for soundbars. Would your recommendation still be to look at the current Paradigm, Martin Logan, or Monitor Audio as the go to products? Are there other soundbars, perhaps the B&W that I should throw in the mix?
post #14 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those would be my top choices and the B&W and Focal Dimension.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to go with three of the Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers and the Marantz NR1506 slimline receiver. Two of the Paradigms will be vertical on either side of my TV and one will be horizontal and below the TV. I like the size of the Marantz and it gets me HDMI switching, 4K passthrough, HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 and HDR, lossless decoding, and sub out so I can use my existing HSU sub.

Many soundbars come with subs and if I went this route I would be paying for a sub I would not even use. Most of the soundbars I was looking at are in the $1,000 price range. For about $300 more I get a system that meets all of my needs and is a big step up in sound quality compared to nearly any soundbar.
RayGuy likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
YAS 706, wx-010, wx-030 reliability

Don't buy until you read...

In February, I purchased a YAS-706, a WX-010, and a WX-030. Since then, two YAS-706s and two speakers (wx-010 and wx-030) have failed.

The ARC HDMI in the original 706, which communicates with the TV, failed soon after I received it. The Virginia company that sold it to me was great and replaced it. At the time, I was also having frequent dropouts in the wx-010 and wx-030, which we thought were related to the original bad soundbar or a weak WiFi signal. The dropouts were so bad that the speakers were unusable.

While waiting for the replacement 706, I replaced the router with a high quality Linksys.

The dropout problem persisted with the new 706. All this (the back and forth on the phone, testing, shipping, configuring, interceding business trips etc) took a long time and I was finally forced to deal with Yamaha customer support.

It took almost 3 more weeks to get to high level Yamaha support. They agreed that both speakers were defective. (i.e. they were bad out of the box! ) They sent me two new units, which took another 3 ½ more weeks.

That's three bad products out of the box! But it's worst then that.

Finally, the system worked great... for 4 weeks.

Than the second, replacement 706 soundbar failed. The amplifier is dead (loud continuous screeching even a low volumes). I called Yamaha again.

I explained that four failures (two out of the box, one within two weeks and the fourth after 4 weeks) was unacceptable. They assured me that my case was unusual. I don't buy it. If you know statistics, that many failures is indicative of very serious QC issues. Or maybe a Sigma 0.5 program! However, if I were truly the one in ten million "lucky lottery winner", then I should get special treatment.

They refused to refund my purchase price, or let me trade me up to a more reliable model (I'd pay the difference). They offered another warranty exchange and would send return shipping boxes to me. When asked about the turn around time, they said it would happen in days. They also said that the 3 1/2 weeks required for the first return was highly unusual. I must be the unluckiest customer in the US!

After almost 10 days, I got an email from Yamaha saying they didn't have boxes to send me. Oh, well another $20 to the UPS store.

Bottom line: I paid about $1400 for the Yamaha products 6 months ago, bought a new router (which I didn’t need), and had 5 months of aggravation. In return, I've received 4 weeks of sound.

Pros:
- The YAS-706 sounds great, when it works.
- Set up is easy.
- Musiccast works reasonably well in a multi-room configuration.
- The WX-030 sounds great.
- The WX-010 is sounds okay but is a definite step down from the WX-030.

Cons:
- Expensive
- Completely unreliable.
- Customer service is slow and hard to reach. Maybe they are over loaded.

Conclusion: Mercedes prices, Chinese sweatshop quality.

Questions?

Don't buy until you read... I have had two YAS-706s and two speakers (wx-010 and wx-030) fail in 5 months. The original YAS-706's ARC HDMI, which communicates with the tv, failed soon after I got it. Crutchfield customer support was great and replaced it. I was also having frequent dropouts in the wx-010 and wx-030, which we thought were related to the original bad soundbar or a weak WiFi signal. I replaced my router with a high quality Linksys. The problem persisted with the new soundbar. All this (back and forth on the phone, testing, shipping, configuring etc) took a long time and I was exceeding the generous Crutchfield return limit. So, I began talking to Yamaha tech support. It took almost 3 more weeks to get to high level Yamaha support. It wasn't easy to get to them, but they were quite good. They agreed that the problem was that both speakers were defective. (ie they were bad out of the box! ) They sent me two new ones, which took 3 ½ more weeks. Finally, the system worked great... for 4 weeks. Then, this Saturday the second 706 soundbar failed. The amplifier is dead. I'll call Yamaha tomorrow. If I'm lucky I'll have a new soundbar in a month. At this point I've had 4 months of aggravation and one month of sound, and now another failure. Yamaha has a serious problem with this product. This experience had been miserable. Crutchfield might want to reconsider carrying this product.
Pros: Great sound, when it works. Nice design. Good smartphone app
Cons: wx-010 and wx-030 were defective out of the box. YAS-706 had failed twice. Yamaha support hard to reach.
Don't buy until you read... I have had two YAS-706s and two speakers (wx-010 and wx-030) fail in 5 months. The original YAS-706's ARC HDMI, which communicates with the tv, failed soon after I got it. Crutchfield customer support was great and replaced it. I was also having frequent dropouts in the wx-010 and wx-030, which we thought were related to the original bad soundbar or a weak WiFi signal. I replaced my router with a high quality Linksys. The problem persisted with the new soundbar. All this (back and forth on the phone, testing, shipping, configuring etc) took a long time and I was exceeding the generous Crutchfield return limit. So, I began talking to Yamaha tech support. It took almost 3 more weeks to get to high level Yamaha support. It wasn't easy to get to them, but they were quite good. They agreed that the problem was that both speakers were defective. (ie they were bad out of the box! ) They sent me two new ones, which took 3 ½ more weeks. Finally, the system worked great... for 4 weeks. Then, this Saturday the second 706 soundbar failed. The amplifier is dead. I'll call Yamaha tomorrow. If I'm lucky I'll have a new soundbar in a month. At this point I've had 4 months of aggravation and one month of sound, and now another failure. Yamaha has a serious problem with this product. This experience had been miserable. Crutchfield might want to reconsider carrying this product. Pros: Great sound, when it works. Nice design. Good smartphone app Cons: wx-010 and wx-030 were defective out of the box. YAS-706 had failed twice. Yamaha support hard to reach.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WOW! You must be the unluckiest person. I've been installing Yamaha for years and I don't think the company I work for has ever had one return on a Yamaha product except the older disc players. Never a sound bar or receiver that I am aware, the two most common Yamaha items they sell.

I do a lot of the testing for new products at the company. I have tested Sonos, Yamaha MusicCast, DTS Play-fi (Paradigm products mostly), Bluesound, URC and Denon Heos. And currently I have 3 Musiccast devices, three URC devices, 2 Paradigm DTS-playfi devices and 5 Sonos devices in my home right now. All of them except Sonos and URC (wired) chokes on wi-fi networks with anything more than three different lossless streams of music and consumer routers. With more compressed sources you get up to about 10 different streams depending on the amount of compression before the network starts to choke. This is with consumer routers and nothing else using bandwidth on the network, if someone is using Netflix or something elseis using some bandwidth, the results are even worse. The commercial routers do better. Sonos uses its own mesh network and doesn't have to use Wifi, although it can but I never set it up that way. I mention this because I wonder if some of your problems are network related even with a good router. So while a lot of people criticize sonos for not having the features of some of these other devices, it has been rock solid and just plain works without hassle. I don't think they have ever had a bad sonos product either. I know sonos is more expensive than Musicast but might be a consideration for you if you return the Yamaha.

ARC and CEC have been installer nightmares. They are often finicky and CEC conflicts with control systems. Except in the simplest of systems we usually turn it off and just use the optical connection from the TV to the sound bar or receiver if using the TV's apps, tuner or devices connected to the TV. I know this goes against the grain for many people but reliability is key if you don't want service calls. I mention this as it might be something to consider with whatever product you use in the future.

I hope all the problems with your system get worked out or you can return them and replace it with something that works better for you. Good Luck
post #18 of 20 Old 07-07-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2850 Post(s)
Liked: 2614
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post
I have decided to go with three of the Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers and the Marantz NR1506 slimline receiver. Two of the Paradigms will be vertical on either side of my TV and one will be horizontal and below the TV. I like the size of the Marantz and it gets me HDMI switching, 4K passthrough, HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 and HDR, lossless decoding, and sub out so I can use my existing HSU sub.

Many soundbars come with subs and if I went this route I would be paying for a sub I would not even use. Most of the soundbars I was looking at are in the $1,000 price range. For about $300 more I get a system that meets all of my needs and is a big step up in sound quality compared to nearly any soundbar.
Excellent choices all the way around. Please give us your impressions when installed and broken in a bit ...
post #19 of 20 Old 07-07-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Milleniaone are excellent speakers, I'm sure you will enjoy them
post #20 of 20 Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
WOW! You must be the unluckiest person. I've been installing Yamaha for years and I don't think the company I work for has ever had one return on a Yamaha product except the older disc players. Never a sound bar or receiver that I am aware, the two most common Yamaha items they sell.

I do a lot of the testing for new products at the company. I have tested Sonos, Yamaha MusicCast, DTS Play-fi (Paradigm products mostly), Bluesound, URC and Denon Heos. And currently I have 3 Musiccast devices, three URC devices, 2 Paradigm DTS-playfi devices and 5 Sonos devices in my home right now. All of them except Sonos and URC (wired) chokes on wi-fi networks with anything more than three different lossless streams of music and consumer routers. With more compressed sources you get up to about 10 different streams depending on the amount of compression before the network starts to choke. This is with consumer routers and nothing else using bandwidth on the network, if someone is using Netflix or something elseis using some bandwidth, the results are even worse. The commercial routers do better. Sonos uses its own mesh network and doesn't have to use Wifi, although it can but I never set it up that way. I mention this because I wonder if some of your problems are network related even with a good router. So while a lot of people criticize sonos for not having the features of some of these other devices, it has been rock solid and just plain works without hassle. I don't think they have ever had a bad sonos product either. I know sonos is more expensive than Musicast but might be a consideration for you if you return the Yamaha.

ARC and CEC have been installer nightmares. They are often finicky and CEC conflicts with control systems. Except in the simplest of systems we usually turn it off and just use the optical connection from the TV to the sound bar or receiver if using the TV's apps, tuner or devices connected to the TV. I know this goes against the grain for many people but reliability is key if you don't want service calls. I mention this as it might be something to consider with whatever product you use in the future.

I hope all the problems with your system get worked out or you can return them and replace it with something that works better for you. Good Luck
The only issue that could have been router related were dropouts on the WX-010 and WX-030. They were wifi connected. During trouble shooting no other devices were using the wifi. Using a network analyzer, I checked signal strength and verified that there was no conflicting traffic. The speakers were reset to factory settings but that made no difference.

The dropouts originally occurred with a CenturyLink Q1000. Just to be sure, I replaced it with a Linksys WRS 1900ACS. Dropouts continued as before. Yamaha's high level support said the router was a good one and should work fine. We confirmed that when he had me download the "info" data report from the speakers. He said they looked fine.

We then set the speakers up in sight of, and within 10 feet of the router. The dropouts continued as before. BTW technical support and I were on the phone for a couple of hours. Two replacement speakers were sent to me ... that took 3 weeks.

When the new ones were connected they immediately worked fine. No configuration changes had been made to the router or anything else in the meantime.

The YAS-706 soundbar issues were simple to diagnose. All audio sources were hardwired. The ARC HDMI failed on the first 706 while we were watching Netflix. The sound first became intermittent and within a couple of minutes went off. The failure happened with the same TV setup and speaker setup that had been working for a week. We went through everything technical support could think of. It was broken.

The replacement YAS-706 was installed and immediately worked fine. Then 4 weeks later, while listening to XM radio the sound first became noisy (I'm using the engineering definition of noise). The noise continued to get worse over the next 20 minutes until it turned into loud screeching even at low volume. That was the case regardless of the audio source selected.

A lot more troubleshooting was involved in each of these cases than I've described. If the issues were something other than Yamaha hardware technical support couldn't fine it.

Again that's four failures with three devices (YAS-707, WX-010 and WX-030). It appears that the WX's were bad out of the box. The first YAS worked for a week. The second one worked for a month.

If Yamaha had a 1% defect rate, the probability that I'd have 4 is well over a million to one.

Questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page