Sonos PlayBase TV Sound Stand Announced - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9073 Post(s)
Liked: 16000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandson View Post
This product might be better suited to sit under a large monitor in a PC desktop setup. How would the Playbase work at a short near field distance?
That's a good question, and one that I hope to answer when I get a chance to review the play bass along with that stand.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Playbase versus HEOS

I'm really interested in how the Sonos Playbase will compare agains the new Denon HEOS soundbar. The HEOS clearly wins in terms of features, but I'm more interested in sound quality, and reliability.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews on the both products.

Cheers,

-Phil
post #33 of 37 Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Even after reading all these reviews, etc. I still went ahead and bought the PlayBase. Here's why:

1) I will be using it in my family room, not in my HT. For really serious, blow your pants off, "OMG I cannot believe what I am hearing!" critical listener type sound, we will walk upstairs to the HT which is equipped with Dolby Atmos, Def Tech SuperTowers all around, and an SVS sub. For Family room viewing (mainly Netflix/AmazonVideo/YouTube/KODI of M2ts) I am perfectly content with non-DD/non-DTS.

2) I already have a big SONOS ecosystem. Having a PlayBase allows me to stream the music from my TV to all other SONOS speakers around the home. Yay.

3) Aesthetically this is the only "below TV" soundbar I liked.

I do wish it had HDMI-ARC so I can control volume with the TV remote, but we are all used to adjusting the other SONOS speakers with our phones, we will do the same here. In many ways, the TV is joining the existing SONOS ecosystem, rather than the other way so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
I haven't used the play base yet but the playbar can learn your tv codes or other codes so you can use your tv or cable remote.
post #35 of 37 Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat24 View Post
Even after reading all these reviews, etc. I still went ahead and bought the PlayBase. Here's why:

I do wish it had HDMI-ARC so I can control volume with the TV remote, but we are all used to adjusting the other SONOS speakers with our phones, we will do the same here. In many ways, the TV is joining the existing SONOS ecosystem, rather than the other way so...
I have the playbase, and it is set up to control volume using the TiVO remote, it will just as easily use a TV remote.

Basically, when you set up the playbase using your phone, there is a step that says.... "aim your remote at the playbase and press your volume up button..." From there it will recognize the manufaturer and respond to the audio controls of that remote. (volume up, volume down, mute... not sure what else you need. :-) )
post #36 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about a Playbase for the LG OLED B7 55" I just ordered. This is a family room TV that would exclusively used for streaming content - Netflix, Amazon streaming etc.

For this use, would the playbase support the necessary sound formats to give me decent sound? I am willing to pay the price because again it's in the family room, and aesthetics are fairly important. I don't mind the optical output IF it will support the formats applicable to streaming sources.

I have an upstairs room that has a 65" Panasonic VT and more traditional 5.1 system, that is where game systems etc will be set up. I can understand the hate in that I don't consider something like a soundbar or playbase to be a home theater replacement, but for a family room where there is a secondary home theater in the house, is this a good product or are the audio formats too limiting?
post #37 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
I am thinking about a Playbase for the LG OLED B7 55" I just ordered. This is a family room TV that would exclusively used for streaming content - Netflix, Amazon streaming etc.

For this use, would the playbase support the necessary sound formats to give me decent sound? I am willing to pay the price because again it's in the family room, and aesthetics are fairly important. I don't mind the optical output IF it will support the formats applicable to streaming sources.

I have an upstairs room that has a 65" Panasonic VT and more traditional 5.1 system, that is where game systems etc will be set up. I can understand the hate in that I don't consider something like a soundbar or playbase to be a home theater replacement, but for a family room where there is a secondary home theater in the house, is this a good product or are the audio formats too limiting?

I have a very similar setup and I find the performance of the playbase to be more than acceptable , especially the surround effect while watching movies with dd 5.1 is very convincing but the size of my room is quite limited...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
playbase , Sonos , tv sound stand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page