Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #361 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
I think the Sony MSRP is more than twice the MSRP of the SJ9 ($1,500 vs $700, though I think the SJ9 started at a grand).
Thanks for the info, but comparing 1000$ msrp for the LG to 1,500$ for the sony, i'd still go with the sony! But ofcourse everyone should demo it first. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Thanks for the info, but comparing 1000$ msrp for the LG to 1,500$ for the sony, i'd still go with the sony! But ofcourse everyone should demo it first. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype
if, the Sony soundbar delivery what promises.
post #363 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Msrp means nothing - the LG is available to buy right now for $699 and the Sony is $800 more expensive. If there was just a couple of hundred dollars in it then you could make a case for the Sony but it is looking hugely ovrpriced compared to the LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkyjames View Post
Msrp means nothing - the LG is available to buy right now for $699 and the Sony is $800 more expensive. If there was just a couple of hundred dollars in it then you could make a case for the Sony but it is looking hugely ovrpriced compared to the LG.
I think the SJ9 is the better deal and judging from the reviews (from good sources) the Atmos is better. Another note there was an update to the LG 2016 firmware a few days which might help certain HDMI issues. It seemed to help some members and its a larger update. I downloaded it also and seems to work fine.

Korean update.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...hread-613.html

Its not the perfect soundbar, but right now it checks all of the marks best. HDR passthrough, Atmos etc.
jimmy.le.3388 likes this.
post #365 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My local bestbuy has SJ9 for sale at $499

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #366 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'd take one at that price... Care to ship one up north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivehere View Post
My local bestbuy has SJ9 for sale at $499

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #367 of 1986 Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
I think the SJ9 is the better deal and judging from the reviews (from good sources) the Atmos is better. Another note there was an update to the LG 2016 firmware a few days which might help certain HDMI issues. It seemed to help some members and its a larger update. I downloaded it also and seems to work fine.

Korean update.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...hread-613.html

Its not the perfect soundbar, but right now it checks all of the marks best. HDR passthrough, Atmos etc.
That's interesting which reviews say the sj9 is better? care to list some sources? Because from what i've seen so far, digital trends were impressed most at CES by the sony ht:st5000 more than all the others, and whathifi say it's the first atmos soundbar that delivers! so i would love to see which reviews you are judging from that the sj9 is better?
post #368 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
That's interesting which reviews say the sj9 is better? care to list some sources? Because from what i've seen so far, digital trends were impressed most at CES by the sony ht:st5000 more than all the others, and whathifi say it's the first atmos soundbar that delivers! so i would love to see which reviews you are judging from that the sj9 is better?

Main issue I have is with one hdmi port , given my C6 doesn't support atmos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #369 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivehere View Post
Main issue I have is with one hdmi port , given my C6 doesn't support atmos

The Sony HT:ST5000 has 3 hdmi inputs, or 4 i'm not 100% sure whether it's 3 or 4. all supporting 4k hdr and hdcp 2.2. it's basically a reciever
post #370 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
See my post 304 in this thread. http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceint...7033/test.html
"The real downside concerns the Atmos and its restitution by the HT-ST5000. Indeed, where information should be collected from the ceiling between the sound bar and the listener (or even at the level of the sound barrier at best), they are perceived as being glued against the wall or at the level of the closed off. On this terrain, the LG SJ9 is really more impressive."

whathifi is a poor source for reviews, its widely known they just make stuff up and often get basic information wrong. Do a search on the forums and elsewhere for the crazy incorrect reviews about UHD players or HDMI cables.

Last edited by grodd; 06-07-2017 at 06:59 AM.
post #371 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See my post 304 in this thread. http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceint...7033/test.html
"The real downside concerns the Atmos and its restitution by the HT-ST5000. Indeed, where information should be collected from the ceiling between the sound bar and the listener (or even at the level of the sound barrier at best), they are perceived as being glued against the wall or at the level of the closed off. On this terrain, the LG SJ9 is really more impressive."

whathifi is a poor source for reviews, its widely known they just make stuff up and often get basic information wrong. Do a search on the forums and elsewhere for the crazy incorrect reviews about UHD players or HDMI cables.
Sure there's one bad review, just as there's a few good ones. I don't think its fair to judge it before its out. Let's see when its out
post #372 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Sure there's one bad review, just as there's a few good ones. I don't think its fair to judge it before its out. Let's see when its out
Where are the good reviews that says the HT-ST5000 is better?
post #373 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where are the good reviews that says the HT-ST5000 is better?
Caleb from digital trends here say that this is the soundbar which has impressed him most from all soundbars!
And whathifi is also a review site, a famous one at that, so honestly just you questioning it's credibility won't make it's reviews invalid, they highly praised the sony soundbar as the best so far. And if it's questioning credibility, what does just one statement from a guy from a website i've never heard about before mean? A guys opinion has you so taken aback yet you question whathifi!
post #374 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Caleb from digital trends here say that this is the soundbar which has impressed him most from all soundbars! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYu5MK9tuk&t=5s
And whathifi is also a review site, a famous one at that, so honestly just you questioning it's credibility won't make it's reviews invalid, they highly praised the sony soundbar as the best so far. And if it's questioning credibility, what does just one statement from a guy from a website i've never heard about before mean? A guys opinion has you so taken aback yet you question whathifi!
whatthehifi is a famous one alright. It's hardly just me that knows they are BS. Read the AVforums about soundbars as well. Don't take my word for it.
Just do a little research. I just prefer more technical more credible reviews.
I'll check out the other one.
rikkyjames likes this.

Last edited by grodd; 06-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #375 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
whatthehifi is famous one alright. It hardly just me that knows they are BS. Read the AVforums about soundbars as well.
Just do a little research. I just prefer more technical more credible reviews.
I'll check out the other one.
There's no way to know for certain which is better as of yet, which is why i found it surprising you made the statement that lg is better than the sony, based on just one opinion of a site whose name i find it hard to pronounce lol, so i think it's fair to wait till the sony is out. i'm sure there will be plenty of comparisons
post #376 of 1986 Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
In a german magazine all Atmos soundbars were tested and the Sony had the worst Atmos effects, together with the Onkyo/Pioneer bar. The LG got a good review, especially at this pricepoint (still alot more than 500$ in Germany).
post #377 of 1986 Old 06-08-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
In a german magazine all Atmos soundbars were tested and the Sony had the worst Atmos effects, together with the Onkyo/Pioneer bar. The LG got a good review, especially at this pricepoint (still alot more than 500$ in Germany).
where did the Samsung K950 rank (if at all) ?
post #378 of 1986 Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The Samsumg was considered the best. But they had no problems with hiss or anything else.
post #379 of 1986 Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob F1UK View Post
Nobody else having this issue where the screen will just to black / blank / no signal when trying to use the player's home screen via the SJ9 HDMI in?

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
Hi Rob, I also have problems with HDMI IN
Connecting a decoder or samsung bluray player. With both the lower half of the screen flickers. This doenst happen when I connect the devices directly to the oled C7
Even tried different hdmi cables.
firmware SJ9 shown in app 'Music Flow Player'
NB8.028.70221.C

I'm going to call my supplier, if they can reproduce it with a different SJ9
So changing the hdmi cable to HDMI IN port wasn't the solution.
Now I used a different brand HDMI cable for the ARC port.
No flickering (black / blank / no signal) issues.
Note: different brand cable was necessary for good ARC communication
3 'identical' cables from the same brand had issues
One that is working for me is from the brand SilverCrest

Someone can recommend a good brand for a hdmi cable?
wanna change the rest of cables
post #380 of 1986 Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
post #381 of 1986 Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
@SJ9 owners.
How is the wireless connection between your sound bar and the sub?
Mine has dropped out quite a few times. It drops out for a split second each time but it's really disturbing when it happens.
Quote:
So.
I'm unsure if what I'm hearing is the Sub cutting out or not but:
Every now and then it does sound very like the subwoofer cuts out for literally a fraction of a second. It's SUPER obvious though and very annoying.

Have any of you owners experienced anything like this yet? Really short cut outs?
I was having this issue too. I realized I was connected with the optical audio instead of HDMI. I got rid of the optical cable and it seems to not be a problem now so far.
post #382 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Driessel View Post
I was having this issue too. I realized I was connected with the optical audio instead of HDMI. I got rid of the optical cable and it seems to not be a problem now so far.
Mine has been connected via HDMI the whole time and I still get it.
I've connected the SJ9 to my router directly with a cable but I'm unsure if its still communicating with it wirelessly or not. I've reset the SJ9 but I dont get the option to connect wired or wirelessly anymore.

Any ideas on how to check connection or setup the wired connection?
post #383 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Guys - really need someone with an X800 or other connected blur-ay player to let me know what happens when you return to the players main home screen. Does your SJ9 just drop the connection after a few seconds with the screen going black?
Quote:
Hi Rob, I also have problems with HDMI IN
Connecting a decoder or samsung bluray player. With both the lower half of the screen flickers. This doenst happen when I connect the devices directly to the oled C7
Even tried different hdmi cables.
firmware SJ9 shown in app 'Music Flow Player'
NB8.028.70221.C

I'm going to call my supplier, if they can reproduce it with a different SJ9
Quote:
he is going to ask his contact from LG
His 2nd SJ9 will arive 6 june
He wil come back to me then.. long Pentecost weekend now.
Did you hear anything in the end? I let a blu-ray play to the end of the credits last night, and then let it sit idle with the X800 eventually returning to its home screen - once it did this, it did stay up?!
post #384 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
In other news, like ShiroEd, I've picked up a pair of LG H3's to pair with the SJ9. My sofa is also against a wall (small lounge) and I currently have the speakers on the floor alongside the sofa. This gives me some effects but not much (unless the H3's are turned *right-up*). I've just tried resting them on the top of the sofa back and watched the X-Men: Apocalypse opening sequence - this resulted in far more audible effects. Think I need to get some speaker stands, anyone have any recommendations?
post #385 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
In other news, like ShiroEd, I've picked up a pair of LG H3's to pair with the SJ9. My sofa is also against a wall (small lounge) and I currently have the speakers on the floor alongside the sofa. This gives me some effects but not much (unless the H3's are turned *right-up*). I've just tried resting them on the top of the sofa back and watched the X-Men: Apocalypse opening sequence - this resulted in far more audible effects. Think I need to get some speaker stands, anyone have any recommendations?
Why not just get some speaker mount brackets and mount them directly to the wall. You can get the kind that is on a ball socket so you can tune the angle. This is what I used to do while I still had an HT set up in my basement with the sofa right against a wall. I set them above near the ceiling and angled towards the sofa and down and it worked well. It should work even better for you since those LG speakers are much smaller and lighter than the bookshelves I had on the wall.
post #386 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 06:26 AM

John Archer said there is an update coming for the LG SJ9 to help with HDMI issues.

https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher

"If anyone like me is having HDMI loop-thru probs w/ LG's SJ9 soundbar, LG says there's an 'HDMI EDID' issue it will fix via firmware update."

Last edited by grodd; 06-09-2017 at 06:31 AM.
post #387 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Mine has been connected via HDMI the whole time and I still get it.
I've connected the SJ9 to my router directly with a cable but I'm unsure if its still communicating with it wirelessly or not. I've reset the SJ9 but I dont get the option to connect wired or wirelessly anymore.

Any ideas on how to check connection or setup the wired connection?
I just connected mine via ethernet last night and the only way I could tell that it was communicating via the cable and not wifi was by logging into my router and checking which IPs were active.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #388 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 AM

I connected via Ethernet and works great. I see wifi being used when I issue play or cast from google home or mobile

post #389 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Arrow

Quote:
Did you hear anything in the end? I let a blu-ray play to the end of the credits last night, and then let it sit idle with the X800 eventually returning to its home screen - once it did this, it did stay up?!
No he didn't call back, I think I'm going to visit the store tomorrow.
Now I changed the ARC port cable, my picture is good, but got sound issue.. After a while the people start talking like Darth Vader . Rewind, play again.. no problem.
Quote:
John Archer said there is an update coming for the LG SJ9 to help with HDMI issues.

twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher

"If anyone like me is having HDMI loop-thru probs w/ LG's SJ9 soundbar, LG says there's an 'HDMI EDID' issue it will fix via firmware update."
Wow.. hope thats the solution. Would explain the bad ARC communication.
post #390 of 1986 Old 06-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
I just connected mine via ethernet last night and the only way I could tell that it was communicating via the cable and not wifi was by logging into my router and checking which IPs were active.
Did you have to change any settings or reset or anything to enable the Ethernet connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page