Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #31 of 1986 Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
I'm still fiddling, but I still find Standard with Sub, Treble and Bass at 0 to be the best for my ears. I think I might set the sub to -1 or -3.
Just disconnect the Sub and save some energy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1986 Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
Just disconnect the Sub and save some energy!
Whoa whoa, that's just crazy talk!

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #33 of 1986 Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Whoa whoa, that's just crazy talk!
How are you connecting the soundbar to your B6?
I'm using LG Sound Sync (Optical) and my DTV Audio Setting is Dolby Digital. When I press the Info button on the soundbar's remote the dislay on the soundbar says PCM. Is this the optimal setup? Am I getting a 5.1 signal with this setup?

Thanks mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1986 Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
How are you connecting the soundbar to your B6?
I'm using LG Sound Sync (Optical) and my DTV Audio Setting is Dolby Digital. When I press the Info button on the soundbar's remote the dislay on the soundbar says PCM. Is this the optimal setup? Am I getting a 5.1 signal with this setup?

Thanks mate.
I'm connected via HDMI-ARC. I have a TiVo and it was originally set to PCM and hitting the Info button said the same. I changed the TiVo to output Dolby Audio and the sound bar says the same. I did some A/B testing between PCM and Dolby Audio and Dolby was definitely better. More clarity wider/fuller soundstage. The center channel was definitely being used for dialogue, though I don't think it was 5.1.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #35 of 1986 Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I'm connected via HDMI-ARC. I have a TiVo and it was originally set to PCM and hitting the Info button said the same. I changed the TiVo to output Dolby Audio and the sound bar says the same. I did some A/B testing between PCM and Dolby Audio and Dolby was definitely better. More clarity wider/fuller soundstage. The center channel was definitely being used for dialogue, though I don't think it was 5.1.
Just played around with the sound modes and 'Movie' is the only one that seems to treat a 5.1 signal correctly. It's only by using that one that the dialogue comes through the center speaker. All other modes share the dialogue across all the speakers.
I wish there was some control over how 'spread' the sound could get. Even though it may not be 'correct' it's nice to be able to play around with it.
post #36 of 1986 Old 04-11-2017, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can someone let me know if DTS 5.1 is supported? And maybe DTS:X/Master audio? That was my problem with the Samsung atmos soundbar and I want to make sure that I'm not gonna make that mistake again.
kleve1972 likes this.
post #37 of 1986 Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giejay View Post
Can someone let me know if DTS 5.1 is supported? And maybe DTS:X/Master audio? That was my problem with the Samsung atmos soundbar and I want to make sure that I'm not gonna make that mistake again.
Not sure if DTS:X is supported, but DTS-HD Master Audio definitely is.

post #38 of 1986 Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Not sure if DTS:X is supported, but DTS-HD Master Audio definitely is.
Do you own the soundbar? Cannot find this information anywhere on the LG site..
post #39 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
DTS HD Master and DTS:X is not supported, the SJ9 only uses the DTS Core.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk
post #40 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giejay View Post
Do you own the soundbar? Cannot find this information anywhere on the LG site..
Yes I do. Look at the pics earlier in the thread and you'll see that I'm playing Arrival in 4K HDR with the DTS Master Audio track.

post #41 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM

I think that is what is in the disc and the "DTS" in the lower right is showing what is used for the sound.
post #42 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
I think that is what is in the disc and the "DTS" in the lower right is showing what is used for the sound.
Perhaps, you're right. I'll double check tonight and see what the sound bar's display indicates.

post #43 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Folks - wondering what your opinion is after having the lg bar for a few days. Thrilled? Satisfied? Pros and cons.

I had the Onkyo atmos bar and while atmos sounded great - everything else was flaaaaat. Now I have the Sony nt5 which sounds great when it works. But 25% of the time is spent fiddling to get connections right because the sound just stops. No fun. So Im considering the Lg. Thoughts?

Some guy
post #44 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Folks - wondering what your opinion is after having the lg bar for a few days. Thrilled? Satisfied? Pros and cons.

I had the Onkyo atmos bar and while atmos sounded great - everything else was flaaaaat. Now I have the Sony nt5 which sounds great when it works. But 25% of the time is spent fiddling to get connections right because the sound just stops. No fun. So Im considering the Lg. Thoughts?
Overall I love it! Very satisfied. I haven't experienced any sound drop outs like you mention.
Pros:
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Supports 4K/HDR passthrough
  • Good design
  • Great clarity, wide soundstage even when listening to regular Dolby Digital sources
  • Different sound modes to suit your taste
  • Ability to customize sub, bass and treble
  • Support for hi-res audio playback (though I have yet to try this for myself)

Cons:
  • Only 1 HDMI input port (might be a deal breaker for some)
  • No ability to calibrate sound bar to your room a la the Yamaha YSP-5600
  • Subwoofer can only be connected wirelessly, which limits placement options.
  • Subwoofer dimensions are relatively large and can limit placement options
  • Limited DTS support (still have to do some testing myself, but not a deal breaker for me)

Concerns:
  • Nowhere in the specs does it specify the DAC used to output hi-res 24/192.
  • LG Soundsync with compatible LG tv (via bluetooth) was gimmicky.
  • Non removable grill means keeping the speakers dust free (especially the upward firing ones) will be near impossible.

post #45 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Overall I love it! Very satisfied. I haven't experienced any sound drop outs like you mention.
Pros:
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Supports 4K/HDR passthrough
  • Good design
  • Great clarity, wide soundstage even when listening to regular Dolby Digital sources
  • Different sound modes to suit your taste
  • Ability to customize sub, bass and treble
  • Support for hi-res audio playback (though I have yet to try this for myself)

Cons:
  • Only 1 HDMI input port (might be a deal breaker for some)
  • No ability to calibrate sound bar to your room a la the Yamaha YSP-5600
  • Subwoofer can only be connected wirelessly, which limits placement options.
  • Subwoofer dimensions are relatively large and can limit placement options
  • Limited DTS support (still have to do some testing myself, but not a deal breaker for me)

Concerns:
  • Nowhere in the specs does it specify the DAC used to output hi-res 24/192.
  • LG Soundsync with compatible LG tv (via bluetooth) was gimmicky.
  • Non removable grill means keeping the speakers dust free (especially the upward firing ones) will be near impossible.
Wow, did not realize there was only one HDMI in - what the he*l?

And there is no set up at the beginning - to put in the ceiling height and distance from the listening position from the soundbar?
post #46 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Wow, did not realize there was only one HDMI in - what the he*l?

And there is no set up at the beginning - to put in the ceiling height and distance from the listening position from the soundbar?
Nope, no kind of setup/calibration like that.

post #47 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Nope, no kind of setup/calibration like that.
How the heck does it know how high your ceiling is and how far from the soundbar your listening position is - to project the Atmos sound to the right place...
post #48 of 1986 Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
How the heck does it know how high your ceiling is and how far from the soundbar your listening position is - to project the Atmos sound to the right place...
1 Hdmi would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as arc works properly. Which it hasnt on bose 300 and sony nt5. Good question about calibration....

Some guy
post #49 of 1986 Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
1 Hdmi would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as arc works properly. Which it hasnt on bose 300 and sony nt5. Good question about calibration....
With ARC not working on properly on two different soundbars, do you think there's something wrong with ARC on your TV?

post #50 of 1986 Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
With ARC not working on properly on two different soundbars, do you think there's something wrong with ARC on your TV?
Arc is known to be poorly implimented across the board. There is a massive thread on it at the bose forums.

Some guy
post #51 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
I believe you're right. Sound bar display just said DTS. I guess the SJ9 is first and foremost and Atmos soundbar.

post #52 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 AM

So, I'm frustrated that I can get this bloody soundbar to do what I want! Thinking about returning it to be honest.

Here's the scenario:
I've got it connected to my LG B6 via Optical. The sound output setting on the TV is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical). The soundbar tells me that whatever I play to it it's recieving a "PCM" signal (Info button on the remote). That PCM signal is not getting interpreted correctly as a 5.1 signal. I suspected that it wasn't but now I'm sure. I was unsatisified with the surround effect so I bought two LG H3s with the intention of setting them up as the rear surrounds (As LG proclaim I can!). Set them up and lo and behold the soundbar is just splitting the sound over itself and the rear speakers. No discreet signals. The soundbar still reports it's getting a PCM signal.
Changing the TV's sound output to Audio Out (Optical) the soundbar now reports it's getting a "Dolby Audio" signal. Not THIS is a correct 5.1 signal and it outputs correctly to the new rear surrounds.
BUT when I play nomal TV and the TV's Spotify app etc. it splits that signal over the soundbar and two rear surrounds.
As there is NO WAY to adjust how the soundbar processes the input signal I can't solve this. Every other system I've owned has had the ability to cycle through audio modes that interpreted the signal in a different way. The available sound 'modes' are nonadjustable presets so one is stuck with them whether you like them or not.
This soundbar is a closed box with little to no oppertunity to tweak it to my liking.

Am I missing something gang?
Thanks!
post #53 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So, I'm frustrated that I can get this bloody soundbar to do what I want! Thinking about returning it to be honest.

Here's the scenario:
I've got it connected to my LG B6 via Optical. The sound output setting on the TV is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical). The soundbar tells me that whatever I play to it it's recieving a "PCM" signal (Info button on the remote). That PCM signal is not getting interpreted correctly as a 5.1 signal. I suspected that it wasn't but now I'm sure. I was unsatisified with the surround effect so I bought two LG H3s with the intention of setting them up as the rear surrounds (As LG proclaim I can!). Set them up and lo and behold the soundbar is just splitting the sound over itself and the rear speakers. No discreet signals. The soundbar still reports it's getting a PCM signal.
Changing the TV's sound output to Audio Out (Optical) the soundbar now reports it's getting a "Dolby Audio" signal. Not THIS is a correct 5.1 signal and it outputs correctly to the new rear surrounds.
BUT when I play nomal TV and the TV's Spotify app etc. it splits that signal over the soundbar and two rear surrounds.
As there is NO WAY to adjust how the soundbar processes the input signal I can't solve this. Every other system I've owned has had the ability to cycle through audio modes that interpreted the signal in a different way. The available sound 'modes' are nonadjustable presets so one is stuck with them whether you like them or not.
This soundbar is a closed box with little to no oppertunity to tweak it to my liking.

Am I missing something gang?
Thanks!
Have you configured your cable box (or whatever you use) to output the correct signal? I had to change a setting on my TiVo to output Dolby Audio rather than PCM which made all the difference for my TV watching. Perhaps the spotify app has a similar setting?

Also, just so you can cross it off the list, is it possible for you to connect your B6 to the SJ9 via HDMI-ARC and see (hear) if that makes a difference?

post #54 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Have you configured your cable box (or whatever you use) to output the correct signal? I had to change a setting on my TiVo to output Dolby Audio rather than PCM which made all the difference for my TV watching. Perhaps the spotify app has a similar setting?

Also, just so you can cross it off the list, is it possible for you to connect your B6 to the SJ9 via HDMI-ARC and see (hear) if that makes a difference?
I'm playing movies via the Plex app on my TV and using Netflix/Amazon etc. All of these outputted perfectly to my previous 5.1 system via the optical cable. I wish I could specify Dolby Audio either on the TV or the soundbar but no joy.

I can output via HDMI_ARC and that gives me the ability to set the output from the TV to be either 'Auto' or 'PCM'. When I choose 'Auto' I get the correct Dolby 5.1 signal to the soundbar. It seems that the SJ9 can't interperet a PCM signal as a 5.1 stream where my other system could do just that.
Am I correct in thinking that a PCM signal should be 5.1? And the soundbar should be able to recognise 5.1 channels and output them accordingly?

Thanks for the help mate.
post #55 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I'm playing movies via the Plex app on my TV and using Netflix/Amazon etc. All of these outputted perfectly to my previous 5.1 system via the optical cable. I wish I could specify Dolby Audio either on the TV or the soundbar but no joy.

I can output via HDMI_ARC and that gives me the ability to set the output from the TV to be either 'Auto' or 'PCM'. When I choose 'Auto' I get the correct Dolby 5.1 signal to the soundbar. It seems that the SJ9 can't interperet a PCM signal as a 5.1 stream where my other system could do just that.
Am I correct in thinking that a PCM signal should be 5.1? And the soundbar should be able to recognise 5.1 channels and output them accordingly?

Thanks for the help mate.
In my opinion - what you want is dts or dolby. If connected via hdmi you are getting those then you are good to go. Pcm will not sound as good and should be avoided.

Some guy
post #56 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
In my opinion - what you want is dts or dolby. If connected via hdmi you are getting those then you are good to go. Pcm will not sound as good and should be avoided.
Yep, I want Dolby or DTS. So PCM isn't the optimal format?
post #57 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Yep, I want Dolby or DTS. So PCM isn't the optimal format?
Not to my ears no. I just returned a Sony nt5 soundbar because it was mostly passing pcm. When i could get lossless dolby or dts through it, it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately it liked pcm better which sounded flat.

Some guy
post #58 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM

HDMI is clearly the besteht solution, nowadays optical connection should be avoided.
post #59 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Not to my ears no. I just returned a Sony nt5 soundbar because it was mostly passing pcm. When i could get lossless dolby or dts through it, it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately it liked pcm better which sounded flat.
Now that I've heard the difference for myself, I completely agree.

post #60 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 12:40 PM

After going through 3 soundbars now, I wish there were some actual reviews out on this. I think to be safe Im gonna wait before plunking down the cash.

Some guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page