Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #601 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
Wait, I forgot this bar can do Chrome Cast stuff. Does it pass 4k HDR to the TV and play atmos on Netflix, Youtube, etc? (assuming the source has an atmos track)
I believe it will if you have the 2017 model?,

I'm no sure if it its worth getting chromecast ULTRA for the 2016 model is the app better than the built in app we have in 2016 model.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Second confirmation that the latest update fixes the PS4 Pro Atmos issue. Yay!

I can also confirm that whilst playing an Atmos BluRay the soundbar will also send a rear signal to my 2 H3s when they're enabled. Still not discreet Left and Right rears but this is progress at least.
post #603 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SJ9 update?

Would someone post a link to information or instructions on how to do the update?
I have an OLED C7 with sj9 hdmi out connected to c7 arc in with certified A cable. Many times when I start an Amazon Prime or Netflix movie I get darth vader sound. I discovered by accident that by rewinding a bit then hit play the sound gets normal. Info button on sj9 remote never shows anything but Dolby Audio. Dolby Atmos and Smart Sound are greyed out in C7 setup. C7 audio out = ARC, Digital Sound = auto, hdmi cec = on. Advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dne2 View Post
Would someone post a link to information or instructions on how to do the update?
I have an OLED C7 with sj9 hdmi out connected to c7 arc in with certified A cable. Many times when I start an Amazon Prime or Netflix movie I get darth vader sound. I discovered by accident that by rewinding a bit then hit play the sound gets normal. Info button on sj9 remote never shows anything but Dolby Audio. Dolby Atmos and Smart Sound are greyed out in C7 setup. C7 audio out = ARC, Digital Sound = auto, hdmi cec = on. Advice appreciated.
You just have to be downlaod music flow to your phone or ipad and connect it to the soundbar then when you open the app you will be notified that there is an update.
post #605 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@Hiredgoon The soundbar can only do Chromecast Audio.
post #606 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dne2 View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post54030081
post #607 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
Okay the Netflix app just updated from 1.5.18 to 1.5.19 on my LG C7

Tried again and it working fine now! You could try again for Okja, maybe it helps too. :-)
I was able to get Okja to play correctly and Meridian looked good as well, but this is on an Xbox, so I imagine the versioning is different. The Xbox app suffers from an awful always-on HDR mode....so still waiting for Chromecast Ultra support from Netflix.
post #608 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
My SJ9 arrives tomorrow. For anyone using this with a 2017 LG OLED, will they only send Atmos over ARC for internal apps or can I ARC Atmos from my PS4 Pro? I'd like to avoid switching the soundbar input from In to AVR if at all possible. That extra step to switch between discs and apps will confuse the wife and kids >.<
post #609 of 1986 Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
I guess I'll be waiting on your monoprice update
I can now confirm that the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro (P/N 21614) maintains a much better signal stability than the Sewell. I have had extremely infrequent signal drops @4k/60 (which may relate to my cables - I will have new ones to try soon).

It is powered with a 2 amp power supply, so it may have a higher signal amplification capability than the Sewell, which only uses a 1 amp power supply. This might explain why it performs better.

Aesthetically the Monoprice switch is incredibly slim, with a more attractive design than the white/blue Sewell. It comes with a fully featured remote with CEC controls and an external IR receiver, which is nice when the switch is positioned away from IR line of sight.

Amazingly this switch has 6 EDID banks that can be modified via serial connection to computer.

Overall it is the best & most compatible 4k switch I've seen in the 'affordable' switch market, and I'm happy I replaced the Sewell. If you can manage with a 4x1 switch over a 5x1 switch, I recommend this one. I am getting 4K/RGB correctly routed through the soundbar now with PS4 Pro, but I don't know if that's due to my use of the Integral or Blackbird, or maybe the recent Micom update. If I have time to play around with the connections later I will report back.
post #610 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post
I can now confirm that the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro (P/N 21614) maintains a much better signal stability than the Sewell. I have had extremely infrequent signal drops @4k/60 (which may relate to my cables - I will have new ones to try soon).

It is powered with a 2 amp power supply, so it may have a higher signal amplification capability than the Sewell, which only uses a 1 amp power supply. This might explain why it performs better.

Aesthetically the Monoprice switch is incredibly slim, with a more attractive design than the white/blue Sewell. It comes with a fully featured remote with CEC controls and an external IR receiver, which is nice when the switch is positioned away from IR line of sight.

Amazingly this switch has 6 EDID banks that can be modified via serial connection to computer.

Overall it is the best & most compatible 4k switch I've seen in the 'affordable' switch market, and I'm happy I replaced the Sewell. If you can manage with a 4x1 switch over a 5x1 switch, I recommend this one. I am getting 4K/RGB correctly routed through the soundbar now with PS4 Pro, but I don't know if that's due to my use of the Integral or Blackbird, or maybe the recent Micom update. If I have time to play around with the connections later I will report back.

Can u confirm mono price switch works with Dolby vision and atmos ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #611 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
My SJ9 arrives tomorrow. For anyone using this with a 2017 LG OLED, will they only send Atmos over ARC for internal apps or can I ARC Atmos from my PS4 Pro? I'd like to avoid switching the soundbar input from In to AVR if at all possible. That extra step to switch between discs and apps will confuse the wife and kids &gt;.&lt;
Yes Atmos through ARC from the C7 is only with apps like Netflix (only 1 full movie Okja available for now)
Atmos from PS4, need to connect to HDMI In from SJ9
On the C7 magic remote is a button for 'inputs', between netflix and amazon buttons.
C7 will show all inputs, even hdmi in from SJ9 (as long if CEC is enabled, called Simplink)
pretty simple :-)

make sure to update the SJ9, fixes arc and hdmi in issues.
post #612 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
@Hiredgoon The soundbar can only do Chromecast Audio.
Damn that's pretty shady saying Chromecast Built-in - Yes on their website specs. Well no, its Chromecast Audio Built-in not Chromecast, which are two different devices that do different tasks.

Thanks LG for being specific in the Specs.

Anyway, I guess the xbox can handle all the work.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 07-13-2017 at 06:23 AM.
post #613 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So I just purchased the LG SJ9 to pair with my C6 since there was a decent deal on it yesterday. My current devices are a PS4 Pro and a Nintendo Switch. What is the best way to connect this soundbar with the TV? I know the C6 doesn't support Atmos through ARC. Would it be best to plug the SJ9 into the ARC HDMI on the C6 and then plug the PS4 Pro into the SJ9? Or should I use optical and forego ARC, while plugging the Pro directly into the TV?

I've read that ARC seems to be super buggy with this soundbar at the minute, so I'm unsure of what to do.
post #614 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tried everything! Cannot activate atmos from the Xbox one s plugged directly in hdmi in of sj9. It kept saying that my sound system is not atmos compatible.any idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #615 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
So I just purchased the LG SJ9 to pair with my C6 since there was a decent deal on it yesterday. My current devices are a PS4 Pro and a Nintendo Switch. What is the best way to connect this soundbar with the TV? I know the C6 doesn't support Atmos through ARC. Would it be best to plug the SJ9 into the ARC HDMI on the C6 and then plug the PS4 Pro into the SJ9? Or should I use optical and forego ARC, while plugging the Pro directly into the TV?

I've read that ARC seems to be super buggy with this soundbar at the minute, so I'm unsure of what to do.

For a while I had issue with arc until I used the hdmi cable coming with the Xbox one s, since then all smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #616 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post

I would plug the PS4 Pro directly to the soundbar to take full advantage of 4k HDR and Atmos.

Then connect the soundbar to the arc hdmi port of the tv.

And last connect the Nintendo directly to the tv, which should produce sound over arc cable, if it works. Worst case, use an optical cable from the tv output to the soundbar, if you have issues with arc.
Fiction likes this.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 07-13-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #617 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Yes Atmos through ARC from the C7 is only with apps like Netflix (only 1 full movie Okja available for now)
On the C7 magic remote is a button for 'inputs', between netflix and amazon buttons.
C7 will show all inputs, even hdmi in from SJ9 (as long if CEC is enabled, called Simplink)

Was I misreading earlier? Thought the SJ9's remote needed to be used to switch the *audio* from ARC to HDMI in when switching between PS4 connected to soundbar and internal apps. Will the bar correctly and automatically ID the active audio source?
post #618 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I would plug the PS4 Pro directly to the soundbar to take full advantage of 4k HDR and Atmos.

Then connect the soundbar to the arc hdmi port of the tv.

And last connect the Nintendo to the tv directly, which should produce sound over arc cable, if it works. Worst case, use an optical cable from the tv output to the soundbar, if you have issues with arc.
That's exactly how I have it.
Turning on the PS4 Pro this way auto switches the input on the TV to the correct input which is nice. Turning the PS4 Pro off again doesn't auto switch 'back' to the previous input. Not the end of the world I guess. Atmos from the PS4 Pro is great. I really hope we start seeing some games with it soon.
post #619 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
That's exactly how I have it.
Turning on the PS4 Pro this way auto switches the input on the TV to the correct input which is nice. Turning the PS4 Pro off again doesn't auto switch 'back' to the previous input. Not the end of the world I guess. Atmos from the PS4 Pro is great. I really hope we start seeing some games with it soon.
Yep, classic Arc shenanigans. I would turn off arc settings in the ps4 and manually control the input selection on the TV with a remote or something else.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 07-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #620 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yep, classic Arc shenanigans. I would turn off arc settings in the ps4. and manually control the input selection with a remote or something else.
But that would be less convenient that what I've got now though. At least now it auto-switches 'on' and I'm left with manually switching back.
post #621 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
But that would be less convenient that what I've got now though. At least now it auto-switches 'on' and I'm left with manually switching back.
Yeah, regardless your going to have to manually switch inputs from the HDMI input to another source on the TV.

A Smart remote would make it slightly easier, but if you only have 2 devices, there might not be a need.
post #622 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, regardless your going to have to manually switch inputs from the HDMI input to another source on the TV.

A Smart remote would make it slightly easier, but if you only have 2 devices, there might not be a need.
Aye. What I tend to do is using my LG Magic Remote I switch directly to a Live TV channel which switches the Input automatically on the TV and on the SJ9 as I'm using ARC. At least I think it does the SJ9 too. I'll double check tonight.
post #623 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivehere View Post
Can u confirm mono price switch works with Dolby vision and atmos ?
Yes, both pass through just fine.
post #624 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
Quote:

Was I misreading earlier? Thought the SJ9's remote needed to be used to switch the *audio* from ARC to HDMI in when switching between PS4 connected to soundbar and internal apps. Will the bar correctly and automatically ID the active audio source?
At the beginning it did not work, It is important to update the SJ9. Last Micom update fixes a lot.

I just checked it.. all with magic remote.. turned on Bluray player with 'inputs' button.
auto switch to SJ9 hdmi In.
turn off Bluray player with button 'AD' (next to the '0' button) press power icon.
Click 'Netflix' button.. play episode
auto switch to ARC

I also have the C7, good luck.
I have to add this info..
if I remember right, long press 'inputs' button and make sure when the Bluray player is ON you let the C7 magic remote know your device, click 'universal remote' button and go to the steps.

Edit: I do not own a PS4, but if it has CEC I think it will work the same.
post #625 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I bought a Nvidia Shield to stream via plex blu ray rips that have Dolby Atmos or Dolby True HD tracks .

What is the best way to connect this with the SJ9 and my 2017 OLED C7 TV?

Should it be via the arc as in

Shield -- > LG C7 TV --> LG SJ9 (Via Arc)

or

Shield --> LG SJ9 -- > LG C7 TV

Or does it not matter? Asking as I got the impression that the Arc does not bitstream True HD or Atmos tracks as per earlier conversations on this thread.
post #626 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlias View Post
So I bought a Nvidia Shield to stream via plex blu ray rips that have Dolby Atmos or Dolby True HD tracks .

Shield -- > LG C7 TV --> LG SJ9 (Via Arc)

or

Shield --> LG SJ9 -- > LG C7 TV

Or does it not matter? Asking as I got the impression that the Arc does not bitstream True HD or Atmos tracks as per earlier conversations on this thread.
Shield --> LG SJ9 -- > LG C7 TV to Retain the Atmos

If you need more HDMI ports down the road, a good HDMI switch will work, as mention in this thread.
post #627 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Shield -- &gt; LG C7 TV --&gt; LG SJ9 (Via Arc)

or

Shield --&gt; LG SJ9 -- &gt; LG C7 TV

C7 can not send Dolby TrueHD over ARC
So connect the shield to the Hdmi In from SJ9

Arc can only send Atmos compression through Dolby Digital Plus

Also read:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2378442
post #628 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Shield --> LG SJ9 -- > LG C7 TV to Retain the Atmos

If you need more HDMI ports down the road, a good HDMI switch will work, as mention in this thread.
Quote:
C7 can not send Dolby TrueHD over ARC
So connect the shield to the Hdmi In from SJ9

Arc can only send Atmos compression through Dolby Digital Plus

Also read:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2378442?page=1

Thanks guys! So this makes the Nvidia shield a worthwhile purchase i guess.

I mean I was debating whether it was needed if the TV could do Dolby True HD or Atmos over arc since otherwise the apps on the TV were pretty fast and slick.
post #629 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks guys! So this makes the Nvidia shield a worthwhile purchase i guess.

I mean I was debating whether it was needed if the TV could do Dolby True HD or Atmos over arc since otherwise the apps on the TV were pretty fast and slick.
Yep,

Its all in one box, that runs the latest video and audio features. If they were a little cheaper, I would get one myself.
post #630 of 1986 Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yep,

Its all in one box, that runs the latest video and audio features. If they were a little cheaper, I would get one myself.
Still no DV support on Shield...so, not exactly the "latest" video features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page