Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #631 of 1986 Old 07-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post
Still no DV support on Shield...so, not exactly the "latest" video features.
Yeah, I get that, DV is better overall, but HDR10 and the newer HDR10+ are good enough that its a moot point. Not many DV only titles out there.

On a side note, the SJ9 went back up to rip off prices of $1299 in Canada.

Waiting until it goes on sale again.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 07-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just a quick note on a surprising feature:

Setup:
PS4Pro connected to LG SJ9 via HDMI which is connected to my LG B6 via HDMI ARC.

Feature:
I can Play/Pause/Fast Forward/Rewind a playing BluRay with the LG TV's magic remote using the center wheel and surrounding circle button.

Unexpected & Nice.
post #633 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

HDMI Splitter

Can anyone in the UK recommed a good high quality HDMI splitter please?
I bought this one from Amazon and its rubbish. It barely holds the signal and when it does get a signal its fully of speckles!

Looking to connect a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S.
Any recommendations very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How do you go about updating the firmware on the SJ9? Tried searching on google a bit and haven't found much of anything.

Thank you!
post #635 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
How do you go about updating the firmware on the SJ9? Tried searching on google a bit and haven't found much of anything.

Thank you!
Using the mobile phone app go to the 'Settings' section in the left hand menu then go to 'Version Info.' There you'll see if any of your connected speakers are due an update. If so just hit Update.
Fiction likes this.
post #636 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Does this not come with a full fledge owner's manual? Only got a quick start manual in the box. Have to currently use a DLed copy of the full manual.

First impressions. Blown away. Played some Mad Max, Sup vs Batman, and Lego Batman -- all Atmos content on Vudu and loved it.
post #637 of 1986 Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Does this not come with a full fledge owner's manual? Only got a quick start manual in the box. Have to currently use a DLed copy of the full manual.

First impressions. Blown away. Played some Mad Max, Sup vs Batman, and Lego Batman -- all Atmos content on Vudu and loved it.
Make sure you update to the lastest firmware
post #638 of 1986 Old 07-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:

It doesn't include a full manual.
post #639 of 1986 Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Thank you!
You can use the LG musicflow mobile app or you can download the musicflow app for windows from LGs support site.
Fiction likes this.
post #640 of 1986 Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Bunch of questions:

1) Is this thread considered the owner's thread, or is there one?

2) Are there best settings for tweaking treble, bass, and subwoofer? Or, maybe a preferred preset sound effect mode instead?

3) What's the situation with the Music Flow rears? Are they their own channels and working properly? If not, can we expect an update with a fix?

Thank you.
post #641 of 1986 Old 07-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Bunch of questions:

2) Are there best settings for tweaking treble, bass, and subwoofer? Or, maybe a preferred preset sound effect mode instead?

3) What's the situation with the Music Flow rears? Are they their own channels and working properly? If not, can we expect an update with a fix?

Thank you.
1) Yes, this is the owner's thread.

2) I have left T/B/S all at 0, but am also curious for this question. As far as sound effect modes, I find "Movie" to be the best for nearly everything. And this is slightly odd, but it also seems like "Movie" is the only mode where dialogue comes solely out of the center channel speaker. All the other modes seem to combine dialogue into all of the speakers. Very strange, possibly a bug?
post #642 of 1986 Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
2) I have left T/B/S all at 0, but am also curious for this question. As far as sound effect modes, I find "Movie" to be the best for nearly everything. And this is slightly odd, but it also seems like "Movie" is the only mode where dialogue comes solely out of the center channel speaker. All the other modes seem to combine dialogue into all of the speakers. Very strange, possibly a bug?
I use "Movie" too - as it creates the widest soundstage too.

The only exception is when Atmos audio goes in, and the SJ9 does its own thing. Which is fine too to create the desired effect. But "Movie" works well for me for the PS4 for general gameplay.

LG OLED65B6 | Yamaha RX-A860 | LG UBK90 | Morel SoundSpot SP2 (x5) | Morel Sub 8X | 2 x Atmos/DTS:X speakers | Fetch Mighty | Plex | Apple TV 4K
LG OLED55C7 | PS4 Pro | Panasonic UB900 | LG SJ9 | Apple TV 4K
post #643 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
1) Yes, this is the owner's thread.

Settings for T/B/S are entirely subjective I reckon. Whatever sounds best to you etc. Personally I prefer a warm sound so I naturally up the Bass and Sub straight away. This soundbar sounds too 'light' with everything at 0.
post #644 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Bunch of questions:

Thank you.
Re. Music Flow Rears: They do not receive discreet Left and Right Rear signals currently. Hopefully this is fixed at some point with an update.
post #645 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Received and set up SJ9 from the BuyDig deal last week. It's great sound for $400. No sense of true surround, but the stage and channel separation are excellent for a stand-alone bar without surrounds, which is all that's possible with our room layout.

I have PS4 Pro -> SJ9 <- B7.

PS4 didn't show up on inputs until I turned CEC on. With the Panasonic TV and Sony bar we had prior to the B7 everything would turn on when I logged in from across the country using Remote Play with CEC enabled on the PS4. Which scared the crap out of my wife. Doesn't happen with this setup. Not sure if it's the B7, SJ9 or a change to Sony's firmware, but it's definitely welcome.
post #646 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9437 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post
I can now confirm that the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro (P/N 21614) maintains a much better signal stability than the Sewell. I have had extremely infrequent signal drops @4k/60 (which may relate to my cables - I will have new ones to try soon).

It is powered with a 2 amp power supply, so it may have a higher signal amplification capability than the Sewell, which only uses a 1 amp power supply. This might explain why it performs better.

Aesthetically the Monoprice switch is incredibly slim, with a more attractive design than the white/blue Sewell. It comes with a fully featured remote with CEC controls and an external IR receiver, which is nice when the switch is positioned away from IR line of sight.

Amazingly this switch has 6 EDID banks that can be modified via serial connection to computer.

Overall it is the best & most compatible 4k switch I've seen in the 'affordable' switch market, and I'm happy I replaced the Sewell. If you can manage with a 4x1 switch over a 5x1 switch, I recommend this one. I am getting 4K/RGB correctly routed through the soundbar now with PS4 Pro, but I don't know if that's due to my use of the Integral or Blackbird, or maybe the recent Micom update. If I have time to play around with the connections later I will report back.
4K60/RGB works fine from the PS4 Pro with the Sewell. It is perfectly stable in my setup(I have two of the 5x1 switches). I would check your cables if you have issues. The Sewell is a great deal for only $65 directly from Sewell.

https://sewelldirect.com/switchdeck-...-22-444-chroma

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #647 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
4K60/RGB works fine from the PS4 Pro with the Sewell. It is perfectly stable in my setup(I have two of the 5x1 switches). I would check your cables if you have issues. The Sewell is a great deal for only $65 directly from Sewell.

https://sewelldirect.com/switchdeck-...-22-444-chroma
It may have been my cables, but without changing cables, my MP switch is rock solid. Additionally, the combination of the SJ9 and C6 was not allowing an RGB signal to be passed at all (grayed out in PS4 settings, no 8 bit RGB option in Windows). This was most likely an EDID table issue, rather than an issue with the switch (and was resolved by forcing EDID with HDFury Integral); however, when I used the Sewell switch in line with the TV, I still had white artifacts displayed with the Sewell Switch, even with non RGB signals. While this again could be related to marginal cables, the switch wasn't helping. I have no white artifacts with the Monoprice switch. IMO it is better to have hardware that can handle lesser quality cables than pickier hardware that requires more expensive or new cable purchases.

I may have also just had a bad unit, but either way, that was my experience. It seems like one of the better switches on the market, regardless, and I hope it works as advertised for everyone that buys it.
post #648 of 1986 Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
Re. Music Flow Rears: They do not receive discreet Left and Right Rear signals currently. Hopefully this is fixed at some point with an update.

+1 on the music flow rear fix. I am waiting for this get them. I love the Atmos effects far.

Also hope that they fix the handshake between the xbox one s and the soundbar for Netflix and the detection as a Dolby Atmos soundbar.

Atmos Works perfectly when I use a 4k blu-ray but not when I use Netflix on the Xbox one S. I do not understand why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #649 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Gang!

If you really want to hear what this soundbar is capable of then you need to get this Atmos Demo disk. I got this yesterday with an Xbox One S and OH MY GOD!!!

The demos on this disk are INCREDIBLE and show how expansive a soundstage this soundbar can achieve. No movie I've watched yet has even approached what these demos showcase. This makes sense of course as the demos are designed to dial things up to 11 but it very very impressive stuff and at least shows that the soundbar can create a really immersive soundfield.

A must have disk for us SJ9 owners!
ATMOS DEMO DISK
aaronwt likes this.
post #650 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

1. How does it handle general (all types from rock, rap, pop, etc) music from Spotify?

2. If I have a large open room, am I able to crank this bar and not get any distortion?

This is replacing and old Klipsh F1 setup which I have downgraded over the years from 7.1 to 5.1 to currently 2.1 to reduce the size.

FYI - My Justification for getting this Soundbar is "Baby Safety" to the wife. Mainly to reduce the cable mess and large tipy speakers that the baby can knock over, while retaining the quality.
post #651 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
1. How does it handle general (all types from rock, rap, pop, etc) music from Spotify?

2. If I have a large open room, am I able to crank this bar and not get any distortion?

This is replacing and old Klipsh F1 setup which I have downgraded over the years from 7.1 to 5.1 to currently 2.1 to reduce the size.

FYI - My Justification for getting this Soundbar is "Baby Safety" to the wife. Mainly to reduce the cable mess and large tipy speakers that the baby can knock over, while retaining the quality.
1: I Google Cast to it from Spotify all the time. I think it sounds great. I've also got it in a Google Home 'group' with the two rear LG H3s which is fun.

2: It can get pretty loud but that's subjective I guess... I haven't pushed it to it's limit yet but I haven't noticed any distortion.

It's a very tidy solution cable wise so all good there!
post #652 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1: I Google Cast to it from Spotify all the time. I think it sounds great. I've also got it in a Google Home 'group' with the two rear LG H3s which is fun.

2: It can get pretty loud but that's subjective I guess... I haven't pushed it to it's limit yet but I haven't noticed any distortion.

It's a very tidy solution cable wise so all good there!
Thanks for the reply, reading back people say it gets loud, so it can probably be pushed hard.

How does Google Home integrate with it? Can I tell Google Home to play music on the soundbar? And with your groups, can I send music to the soundbar and the home, aka whole home audio?

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 07-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #653 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
Thanks for the reply, reading back people say it gets loud, so it can probably be pushed hard.

How does Google Home integrate with it? Can I tell Google Home to play music on the soundbar? And with your groups, can I send music to the soundbar and the home, aka whole home audio?
Because it has Google Cast built in it just appears as another 'castable' device. You can say "Hey Google. Play Radiohead on the Soundbar". You can call it anything you want not just Soundbar which is nice.
Yes to your Groups question. You can create any combination of Google Cast enabled speakers and tell Google Home to play to that. For instance, I can say "Hey Google, play Radiohead in the Front Room" where the 'Front Room' group has my soundbar and the two rear H3s. Or I can say "Hey Google, play Radiohead on Everything" where 'Everything' is a group that contains all of my Google Cast enabled speakers all over my apartment. Really neat.
post #654 of 1986 Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Because it has Google Cast built in it just appears as another 'castable' device. You can say "Hey Google. Play Radiohead on the Soundbar". You can call it anything you want not just Soundbar which is nice.
Yes to your Groups question. You can create any combination of Google Cast enabled speakers and tell Google Home to play to that. For instance, I can say "Hey Google, play Radiohead in the Front Room" where the 'Front Room' group has my soundbar and the two rear H3s. Or I can say "Hey Google, play Radiohead on Everything" where 'Everything' is a group that contains all of my Google Cast enabled speakers all over my apartment. Really neat.
Hell yeah, I love google Cast, it makes my life easier.
post #655 of 1986 Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah Google Cast is great, also I have the Amazon Echo and just saying "Alexa Pair Speaker" and then picking my tunes that way works great too.

Has anyone noticed an issue with a Sony X800D model connected via HDMI/ARC, when I play Netflix and resume from a paused state I lose all sound and have to cycle through the inputs until I hear anything again.
post #656 of 1986 Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just a tip for anyone with a Harmony remote:

I just picked up a Harmony Elite, and the default profile for the SJ9 in the Logitech database does not have discrete input codes (so the harmony must cycle through inputs, which can introduce errors if the input is manually changed);

however, the profile for the "SH6" Soundbar does have discrete input codes that work with the SJ9, so I use the SH6 profile in my activities to directly switch between ARC and HDMI-In depending on activity. Not all the discrete codes from the SH6 seem to work (e.g. WIFI), but most do (critically Optical(ARC) & HDMI). (I do wonder if the remaining discrete codes for this sound bar are out there somewhere...)

I also have the SJ9 added as a separated device, just in case I need to access the full array of original SJ9 remote keys.
post #657 of 1986 Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What does auto volume do?? Should I leave it on?
post #658 of 1986 Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thinking of replacing my current vizio soundbar. Have also been looking at the sony ht5000. How does this compare to the sony. Does it play true hd and dts? I will be using it mostly for Netflix and amazon streaming and plex. I think if the $400 deal comes back its a great deal to get into atmos.
does it give you a sense of enveloping you with sound and can you hear sound coming from behind or is it more front and side.
post #659 of 1986 Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
What does auto volume do?? Should I leave it on?
It evens out the volume so you won't have any ridiculously loud moments when watching something. I personally use it because I don't want the TV waking up the whole household when I watch movies at night. Also, it seems to improve dialogue quite a bit without having all the sound effects super loud.

The one I'm unsure of using is DRC through the app.
post #660 of 1986 Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a rather strange room shape:

high | |
kithen | | 1.7m
counter |___________|

So in front of the TV there is 1.7m open space to both sides.
Then, on the left there is a high kitchen counter to the left of the couch.
On the right of the couch there is a wall.

I realise that this shape is probably the opposite of ideal.
I do have a flat ceiling!

I am considering the SJ9 soundbar. Do you guys think that the SJ9 soundbar will still work decently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page