Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #661 of 1986 Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguaroth View Post
I have a rather strange room shape:

high | |
kithen | | 1.7m
counter |___________|

So in front of the TV there is 1.7m open space to both sides.
Then, on the left there is a high kitchen counter to the left of the couch.
On the right of the couch there is a wall.

I realise that this shape is probably the opposite of ideal.
I do have a flat ceiling!

I am considering the SJ9 soundbar. Do you guys think that the SJ9 soundbar will still work decently?
Hm, something went wrong with the room layout, and I can't seem to edit the post.

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roomlayout.png
Views:	132
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	2258241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1986 Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Hm, something went wrong with the room layout, and I can't seem to edit the post.

Here is a picture.
The side firing speakers won't be able to bounce anything off the wall to simulate surround. You may want to look at a 5.1 set with surrounds (which you could put on either side of the couch) or a 3.1 bar that sends sound straight to you.
post #663 of 1986 Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
The side firing speakers won't be able to bounce anything off the wall to simulate surround. You may want to look at a 5.1 set with surrounds (which you could put on either side of the couch) or a 3.1 bar that sends sound straight to you.
You think the walls next to my couch won't help a bit? Or are they too far away?
Maybe I could add rear speakers to this bar? Or would you suggest another soundbar from another brand then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 1986 Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Another question for PS4 users what do you guys normally select for audio format PCM, dolby or dts?
Fiction likes this.
post #665 of 1986 Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Here is a picture.
If you want to listen to ATMOS material this sound bar will not work very good with your room layout. If you want ATMOS you need to look at a separate speaker setup.

For ATMOS material with this soundbar you need side walls, a rear wall and regular height ceiling to bounce the sound off from. From what I have read nobody has gotten rear speakers to work with the soundbar and have it produce true discrete channels, only simulated rear.
post #666 of 1986 Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi Guys.

I was interested in SJ9, and read whole thread which was helpful.
Finally I got one yesterday!! Although I got no PS4,or Netflix or ATMOS-supported TV, anyway I have one now

Currently I'm using PLEX and it worked fine with SJ9 and my 2015 LG OLED TV (55EC9310), but I got one question.
If 5.1 Ch sound played via plex, what it is showed on SJ9 info display?

What I played was DD 5.1, but SJ9 says 'Dolby Digital'. I plugged in by ARC.
Is this worked as normal? (5.1 Ch played correctly?)

Sorry if there is unclear message. My mother language is Korean.
post #667 of 1986 Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by goabaddon View Post
Hi Guys.

I was interested in SJ9, and read whole thread which was helpful.
Finally I got one yesterday!! Although I got no PS4,or Netflix or ATMOS-supported TV, anyway I have one now

Currently I'm using PLEX and it worked fine with SJ9 and my 2015 LG OLED TV (55EC9310), but I got one question.
If 5.1 Ch sound played via plex, what it is showed on SJ9 info display?

What I played was DD 5.1, but SJ9 says 'Dolby Digital'. I plugged in by ARC.
Is this worked as normal? (5.1 Ch played correctly?)

Sorry if there is unclear message. My mother language is Korean.
The SJ9 will show "Dolby Digital" on its display when it receives DD5.1, so it is working correctly.
post #668 of 1986 Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone noticed their subwoofer cutting out intermittently? It seems mine has been cutting out the last several days and I notice the green light will blink when it does it. Very annoying while watching something as all of the sudden the bass will randomly drop and then come back a few seconds later. The subwoofer is positioned below the soundbar, on the floor. Odd.
post #669 of 1986 Old 07-28-2017, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Bought the SJ9 yesterday to use with my Lg G6 Oled tv.

Easy to set up and use the Lg sound link with optical or wireless lets me controll the volume on the Soundbar with the Oled remote a big pluss.

The sound bar deliverd more n less what i exspected it to be, a large front sound stage that much higher than a regular sound bar. Atmos is crystal clear sounding on the few Uhd blurays i tested but its not a sound bobble effect you with a proper Atmos system.

Solid easy simple system that does it job well im happy with it it does what i was after.
post #670 of 1986 Old 07-28-2017, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
Has anyone noticed their subwoofer cutting out intermittently? It seems mine has been cutting out the last several days and I notice the green light will blink when it does it. Very annoying while watching something as all of the sudden the bass will randomly drop and then come back a few seconds later. The subwoofer is positioned below the soundbar, on the floor. Odd.

No issues with mine. Try avoiding any wireless transmitter or wifi access point within 2m. And also try moving sub near sound bar . That might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #671 of 1986 Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get my Xbox to see that it is an atmos receiver. When I play a movie it switches to atmos. Lg tried to tell me that my tv had to be atmos too. An ideas on the Xbox issue? I tried two different ones and different cables. Want to make sure it sounds good during my return times
post #672 of 1986 Old 07-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Newton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
Yeah I had the dropouts over ARC.. also fixed!
In the past, it happened with an episode on Netflix from LG C7. Big click sound and the sound disappeared or seemed like Darth Vader.

only still have a lipsync issue, but the image seems faster, so I'm hoping for a fix for the TV LG C7
I can also confirm the dropout seem to be fixed, as for you lipsync issues you should check the setting on the TV and also soundbar setting through music flow had the same issue then notice my tv setting was the case of the problem cant recall but i turned off something.
Finally.. update for the LG C7 TV
In korea is available a new firmware, 03.60.25 that correct lip sync problems with dd 5.1

Just wanted to confirm it was never a SJ9 issue
bgul likes this.
post #673 of 1986 Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivehere View Post
No issues with mine. Try avoiding any wireless transmitter or wifi access point within 2m. And also try moving sub near sound bar . That might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seems like the sub was too close to my router. It's working fine now after moving it. Thanks.
post #674 of 1986 Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
What does auto volume do?? Should I leave it on?
It evens out the volume so you won't have any ridiculously loud moments when watching something. I personally use it because I don't want the TV waking up the whole household when I watch movies at night. Also, it seems to improve dialogue quite a bit without having all the sound effects super loud.

The one I'm unsure of using is DRC through the app.
Auto Volume is indeed great for dialogue.
Also kills a sound effect, like a car speeding by. You wont hear it as intended, low sound left to getting louder right.
Still a great option, especially by night or if youre ennoyed by jumping sounds.

I hope more content will come in Atmos. Better combo for dialogue and surround effects.
Anyway it seems, not many streaming content atm.
post #675 of 1986 Old 07-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Also kills a sound effect, like a car speeding by. You wont hear it as intended, low sound left to getting louder right.
Still a great option, especially by night or if youre ennoyed by jumping sounds.

I hope more content will come in Atmos. Better combo for dialogue and surround effects.
Yeah, I mainly use it out of respect for my household. I'm fully aware that it ruins all of the sound effects, but it's either that or constantly adjusting the volume throughout the movie. Which is much more of an annoyance IMO. It is still pretty good at what it does on the SJ9 compared to the other versions of it I've heard, especially on a few Sony soundbars.
post #676 of 1986 Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I mainly use it out of respect for my household. I'm fully aware that it ruins all of the sound effects, but it's either that or constantly adjusting the volume throughout the movie. Which is much more of an annoyance IMO. It is still pretty good at what it does on the SJ9 compared to the other versions of it I've heard, especially on a few Sony soundbars.
Indeed I also use it when my girlfriend complains :-)
Would be better if we could adjust dialogue separately like subwf, treble, bass
On Bluray movies I love the surround effects, but like you say I also keep adjusting the volume.

Probably not possible to separate the dialogue in the surround sounds formats? That why we need more Atmos sounds I guess.
Fiction likes this.
post #677 of 1986 Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Is there any known news about additional sound flow products? I am interested in 2 small rear speakers to add to the SJ9 but it looks like the only options are H3s from 2015 (with no real channel separation which is probably a software thing)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #678 of 1986 Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosara2017 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
Re. Music Flow Rears: They do not receive discreet Left and Right Rear signals currently. Hopefully this is fixed at some point with an update.

+1 on the music flow rear fix. I am waiting for this get them. I love the Atmos effects far.

Also hope that they fix the handshake between the xbox one s and the soundbar for Netflix and the detection as a Dolby Atmos soundbar.

Atmos Works perfectly when I use a 4k blu-ray but not when I use Netflix on the Xbox one S. I do not understand why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't even play an Atmos track off a 4K blu ray which I know has an Atmos track. I tried both connecting the Xbox One S directly to the sound bar and also tried the TV. Couldn't even choose Atmos in the audio settings. How were you able to do so for the 4K player?

EDIT: Figured it out, despite Xbox One S not recognizing the SJ9 as a Atmos AV receiver, I was able to play Atmos tracks on the UHD Blu Ray player by enabling the Blu Ray setting "Let my receiver decode audio" set on.

Last edited by dil23; 08-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #679 of 1986 Old 08-08-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Hi all,

I'm shocked that I cannot find this through a "can I use Audyssey with a soundbar" but it really doesn't yield much. Anyway...

Even if I WANTED to (knowing some of the limitations/caveats with using a room correction with a soundbar) I simply couldn't if I wanted to, due to the audio being transmitted via HDMI to the soundbar, correct?

I thought Audyssey would only perform correction if connected via the RCA/XLR's or speaker connections?

Thanks- looking to use this in an install with the 65" LG OLEDs.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #680 of 1986 Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM

A new update is now available for the sound bar. I am glad LG has done several updates to this sound bar. It shows that LG is willing to support and fix problems through firmware. I just wish that LG would be kind enough to give us notes on what each update does.
post #681 of 1986 Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchap2 View Post
A new update is now available for the sound bar. I am glad LG has done several updates to this sound bar. It shows that LG is willing to support and fix problems through firmware. I just wish that LG would be kind enough to give us notes on what each update does.
Curious to what was changed before I update. LG's recent update on the C6 broke HDR Game mode so I'm a bit wary with their software quality control.
post #682 of 1986 Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HI all. I'm new to the forums but I've been browsing for a bit. I had the same issues that others had with this soundbar when paired with an Xbox One S where I was unable to select Dolby Atmos in the Xbox settings. For reference, my tv is the 55 inch C7P. I was recently prompted to update the soundbar (on 8.7.17 to be exact) but that did not fix the issue. Yesterday I decided to unplug the cables, then re-plugged them in but before turning on the tv, xbox and soundbar, I went into the Music Flow app and under settings, speaker, I "initialized" the setup and selected the bottom selection which was hdmi rather than optical and then hit complete. Once I turned on my devices, I was surprised to see that the xbox finally let me select dolby atmos. After that, I fired up the Dolby Access app but then that had some issues too. At first it would play the sounds but then it would cut off. I closed/quit the app and after a few tries and even restarting my xbox, I got the app to work and the soundbar played the sound and also displayed "Dolby Atmos" on the LCD.

Anyway, I don't know if what happened to my setup was just pure luck but I hope this can possibly help others who have the same issues.
bgul and dil23 like this.
post #683 of 1986 Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Snow View Post
HI all. I'm new to the forums but I've been browsing for a bit. I had the same issues that others had with this soundbar when paired with an Xbox One S where I was unable to select Dolby Atmos in the Xbox settings. For reference, my tv is the 55 inch C7P. I was recently prompted to update the soundbar (on 8.7.17 to be exact) but that did not fix the issue. Yesterday I decided to unplug the cables, then re-plugged them in but before turning on the tv, xbox and soundbar, I went into the Music Flow app and under settings, speaker, I "initialized" the setup and selected the bottom selection which was hdmi rather than optical and then hit complete. Once I turned on my devices, I was surprised to see that the xbox finally let me select dolby atmos. After that, I fired up the Dolby Access app but then that had some issues too. At first it would play the sounds but then it would cut off. I closed/quit the app and after a few tries and even restarting my xbox, I got the app to work and the soundbar played the sound and also displayed "Dolby Atmos" on the LCD.

Anyway, I don't know if what happened to my setup was just pure luck but I hope this can possibly help others who have the same issues.
WHoaa excited to try this! does this mean that VUDU can now play atmos on XBONE?
post #684 of 1986 Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
WHoaa excited to try this! does this mean that VUDU can now play atmos on XBONE?

No, each app must be updated to output Atmos bitstream. Only Netflix, Dolby Access, and BluRay apps currently output Atmos.
post #685 of 1986 Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchap2 View Post
Oh. Nice!

Can anyone confirm if this fixed the rears or not?
post #686 of 1986 Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Oh. Nice!

I wouldn't count on it, but I will check later. When I discussed the issue with LG several weeks ago, they described the stereo mix as the expected behavior, so unless others here have also asked them to resolve this, I doubt they've proactively fixed it.

Edit:
Still no discrete channels
Received:
'B-Update' and 'M-Update' on display

Last edited by buggyg; 08-11-2017 at 01:18 AM.
post #687 of 1986 Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post
Quote:
Oh. Nice!

I wouldn't count on it, but I will check later. When I discussed the issue with LG several weeks ago, they described the stereo mix as the expected behavior, so unless others here have also asked them to resolve this, I doubt they've proactively fixed it.

Edit:
Received:
Thank you.

So do you feel like the Music Flow surrounds, as LG has them "working" now, are a slight bonus or just a distraction and should be avoided?
post #688 of 1986 Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post

Edit:
Received:

Who do you talk to? I don't mind calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #689 of 1986 Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

So do you feel like the Music Flow surrounds, as LG has them "working" now, are a slight bonus or just a distraction and should be avoided?
I find them distracting and do not keep them connected to the soundbar. They have been relegated to function as multiroom audio speakers via chromecast audio until (and if) LG gets their act together.

I would strongly suggest saving your money and/or seeking out a different soundbar with true rear surround functionality if this is important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgul View Post
Who do you talk to? I don't mind calling.
LG Customer Support, chat or phone. Indicate that you would like to submit feedback and a complaint regarding the product functionality. Seems like a petition is required to get anything done these days, so maybe someone can put one together for this problem....though I really doubt many people have taken the time to seek out these discontinued speakers to set up rear surround. It doesn't help that CNET's totally inaccurate review states that an incompatible rear speaker kit is somehow compatible (obviously they didn't test any rear speaker options). (https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-sj9/review/)
bgul likes this.
post #690 of 1986 Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Am I doing something wrong in where I'm only getting PCM via ARC with a Nvidia Shield? (2016 LG OLED)

These give me Dolby Audio or DTS fine over ARC:

LG WebOS
Roku Ultra
UHD BP

Chromecast Ultra occupies HDMI In for Vudu DV with Atmos, so not swapping that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page