Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #61 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
After going through 3 soundbars now, I wish there were some actual reviews out on this. I think to be safe Im gonna wait before plunking down the cash.
Wow, 3 in how many weeks?? I admire your caution. This is one of the few things I've purchased without reading a formal review. I'm also surprised that this isn't getting more press. Isn't the SJ9 LG's first Atmos sound bar?

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
Wow, 3 in how many weeks?? I admire your caution. This is one of the few things I've purchased without reading a formal review. I'm also surprised that this isn't getting more press. Isn't the SJ9 LG's first Atmos sound bar?
Yeah... Sony's 7.1.2 800 Watt Atmos soundbar (vs. this LG's 5.1.2. 500 Watt Atmos soundbar) will get a lot more press/reviews.
post #63 of 1986 Old 04-14-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
3 in 2 months. First the new Onkyo atmos bar. Then Bose 300. Then Sony NT5. Best Buy must love me.

Considering im in nyc too perhaps u might consider a demo....

Some guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question

I have a question about my LG SJ9, hope you guys can help. My devices (Xbox One, AppleTV 4) do not support bitstream out for TrueHD or Atmos for media. Though the Xbox does have this for blu-ray now. So my best way to get Atmos/TrueHD content would be to got for PCM output right?

I tried this, on Xbox One this is calleds Uncompressed 5.1 and on Apple TV "highest quality available" (= PCM) . However if I do this I lose the voices in movies/tv shows. I ran a surround speaker test clip from Dolby and it show that the center speaker and subwoofer are not working in this mode.

If i switch to output Dolby Digital all works fine, but then I lose the TrueHD/Atmos. What is happening? Can anyone help?
post #65 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
@SJ9 owners.
How is the wireless connection between your sound bar and the sub?
Mine has dropped out quite a few times. It drops out for a split second each time but it's really disturbing when it happens.
post #66 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question for owners, how it's sounds in general without atmos content, did anybody had a chance to compare it to other soundbars. I am looking for good soundbar and trying to decide between lg sj9, bose ST300, and definitive technology studio. Went through 4 sony htnt5, i think they need to recall it, all stopped working in couple of months. Really interested in this soundbar, probably not going to use atmos but looking for good sound.
post #67 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergysn View Post
I have a question for owners, how it's sounds in general without atmos content, did anybody had a chance to compare it to other soundbars. I am looking for good soundbar and trying to decide between lg sj9, bose ST300, and definitive technology studio. Went through 4 sony htnt5, i think they need to recall it, all stopped working in couple of months. Really interested in this soundbar, probably not going to use atmos but looking for good sound.
I can't compare it to other soundbars but from my point of view the non-Atmos sound is very good in general. When it gets a Dolby signal it has a very wide sound stage. Quite impressive. It very clear and once the sub is tweaked it has a very large full sound. The soundbar itself has almost no bass compared to something like the Bose soundbar though which is a shame considering the price.

Regarding the price. I'm not sure I understand why it's so expensive as it has quite a few limitations in terms of tweakability etc. What do you guys think about the price? I've never had another soundbar but it's not 3 times better than my £300 Logitech Z906 system.
post #68 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
I can't compare it to other soundbars but from my point of view the non-Atmos sound is very good in general. When it gets a Dolby signal it has a very wide sound stage. Quite impressive. It very clear and once the sub is tweaked it has a very large full sound. The soundbar itself has almost no bass compared to something like the Bose soundbar though which is a shame considering the price.

Regarding the price. I'm not sure I understand why it's so expensive as it has quite a few limitations in terms of tweakability etc. What do you guys think about the price? I've never had another soundbar but it's not 3 times better than my £300 Logitech Z906 system.
First paragraph sound like a rave and then 2nd its a piece of crap not worth the price, lol. Heres hoping some online reviews show up soon.

Some guy
post #69 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 10:51 AM

OK. Satisfication Update!

Previous setups:

V1: LG B6 > LG Sound Sync > Optical cable > SJ9 = Controllable via LG TV remote control but ONLY outputting PCM therefor very shallow soundstage and no 5.1 rear signals passed to LG H3 rear surrounds = Unsatisfied Ed.

V2: LG B6 > Optical > Optical cable > SJ9 = Not controllable via LG TV remote control but outputting Dolby signal therefor wide soundstage and discreet 5.1 signals being sent to LG H3 rear surrounds = Still Unsatisfied Ed

V3: LG B6 > HDMI ARC > HDMI High Speed cable > SJ9 = Controllable via LG TV remore control AND outputting Dolby signal AND a MUCH wider soundstage from just the soundbar AND discreet 5.1 signals being sent to the LG H3 rear surrounds = VERY happy Ed!

The problem I had was that I had a very specific set of requirements from this soundbar and for a while I didn't think it would be able to tick ALL my boxes. The only thing it still does that's suboptimal is that it shares the sound from things like OTA broadcast TV and the Spotify app equally over the soundbar and the rear surrounds. If there was a way to enable an automatic switch to discern whether a singal was 5.1 or not and output the appropriate signal to the surrounds then everything I want would be GOLD!

Worth reiterating how much better the soundstage is over HDMI. I just watched the scene in Avatar where Jake spends his first night on Pandora and WOWOWOWOW! I seriously thought I had the rear surrounds on. Fantastic!

Sorry for being a bit of a killjoy folks. I just worked myself up into a worry as I'd been looking forward to this soundbar since it was announced. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my girlfrield later as she went to work today with me sitting in front of the TV scratching my head.

post #70 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 AM

So u had bose ST300 and sony ht5, how is the bose sound compared to ht5?, and why did you return it? I really considering st300.
post #71 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Ups i think i replied to wrong person
post #72 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
3 in 2 months. First the new Onkyo atmos bar. Then Bose 300. Then Sony NT5. Best Buy must love me.

So u had bose ST300 and sony ht5, how is the bose sound compared to ht5?, and why did you return it? I really considering st300
post #73 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So u had bose ST300 and sony ht5, how is the bose sound compared to ht5?, and why did you return it? I really considering st300
Bose had major arc problems so could only connect via optical. Also, bose soundbar alone didnt provide much base - buying the base module makes it a 1400 dollar investment. Not for me.

Some guy
post #74 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bose had major arc problems so could only connect via optical. Also, bose soundbar alone didnt provide much base - buying the base module makes it a 1400 dollar investment. Not for me.
Does ST300 with sub sound much better than Sony nt5?
post #75 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
@SJ9 owners.
How is the wireless connection between your sound bar and the sub?
Mine has dropped out quite a few times. It drops out for a split second each time but it's really disturbing when it happens.
I've never had dropouts while watching regular TV or 4K Bluray with Atmos or DTS. I do notice occasional dropouts of a few seconds when using the Youtube app on the B6. My B6 is on wifi, which might be the issue.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #76 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

Asking for a demo without dinner first? I'm insulted!

post #77 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I say it sounds fantastic on non-Atmos content. It's not that all encompassing bubble that Atmos gives you, but it definitely draws you in and has a wide and detailed soundstage. Watching reruns of Star Trek Voyager on BBC America and it's amazing how much ambient warp engine hum I was missing. There's a clarity that wasn't there before.

Weeks before I got the SJ9, I did have a chance to demo the Bose Sound Touch 300 for a good 2 hours. It was in a Best Buy, but early in the morning so it was fairly quiet. It did sound great, but you really needed the accompanying soundbar to really make it come alive. This basically meant you had to buy the sound bar in two parts ST300 for $800 then another $700 for the sub. That was strike 1 and strike 2. Not having Atmos support was strike 3.

About 1 week before the SJ9, I was given an older ca. 2014 Samsung sound bar. It was under powered, but at least gave me a baseline of what TV audio could sound like.

My original top choice was the Sony HT-ST9 even though it lacked Atmos support, but after reading about connectivity issues, I looked into the Sony HT-ST5000, but it was quite pricey and won't be released for a few months. The SJ9 was the best fit for me with the least amount of drawbacks. I actually think it's appropriately priced.

post #78 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Asking for a demo without dinner first? I'm insulted!
I got no manners. Anyway - curiosity got the best of me and I just picked one up. Gonna run it through its paces - Ill post my thoughts tomorrow.

Some guy
post #79 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone for replying. ??
post #80 of 1986 Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I got no manners. Anyway - curiosity got the best of me and I just picked one up. Gonna run it through its paces - Ill post my thoughts tomorrow.
Best buy?

post #81 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Ok so here are my initial thoughts on the soundbar. I hate to post a mixed bag review but so be it.

Compared to all the other Soundbars I have checked out (Bose 300, Sony NT5, etc) the LG is the best as far as stability and user-friendliness. ARC works without any fiddling around whereas with the others it was always a problem. The remote is clear - switching inputs simple as well as seeing what audio is playing through the info button. This was not the case on the previous soundbars.

That being said there is the sound. Yes it is a wide soundstage and yes it does pass through atmos but compared to the other soundbars (that did not even have atmos) the LG is lacking in my opinion - dynamics. The Bose and Sony were just more fun to listen to. And the Onkyo Atmos bar I tested at one point was much more enveloping/atmospheric as far as the Atmos was concerned. The Onkyo unfortunately failed in normal dolby, sounding flat, as well as ARC problems.

Its kinda like looking for the holy grail here. The LG, (Unlike the others) will be stable with a good professional sound. I'm just left wanting a stable bar with amazing sound.

Some guy
post #82 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 AM

addendum to review

Was playing everything through the "movie" preset. Now I switched to "standard" and it seems to improve the dimensionality of the sound.

What settings are you folks using?

Some guy
post #83 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Was playing everything through the "movie" preset. Now I switched to "standard" and it seems to improve the dimensionality of the sound.

I've been mostly using Movie too due to the wider sound but I'll give Standard a go.
A note on these presets:
Interestingly the Bass Boost preset 'hijacks' the Atmos speakers to achieve a large sound and it sounds SUPER wide and big.
This is why I wish there was a "Custom" preset. I would LOVE the ability to tweak the balance of each of these speakers to my particular liking.
It's way to closed of in this regard.
post #84 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Ok so here are my initial thoughts on the soundbar. I hate to post a mixed bag review but so be it.

Compared to all the other Soundbars I have checked out (Bose 300, Sony NT5, etc) the LG is the best as far as stability and user-friendliness. ARC works without any fiddling around whereas with the others it was always a problem. The remote is clear - switching inputs simple as well as seeing what audio is playing through the info button. This was not the case on the previous soundbars.

That being said there is the sound. Yes it is a wide soundstage and yes it does pass through atmos but compared to the other soundbars (that did not even have atmos) the LG is lacking in my opinion - dynamics. The Bose and Sony were just more fun to listen to. And the Onkyo Atmos bar I tested at one point was much more enveloping/atmospheric as far as the Atmos was concerned. The Onkyo unfortunately failed in normal dolby, sounding flat, as well as ARC problems.

Its kinda like looking for the holy grail here. The LG, (Unlike the others) will be stable with a good professional sound. I'm just left wanting a stable bar with amazing sound.
So sound on bose st300 with sub is much better?
post #85 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
So sound on bose st300 with sub is much better?
Never had the Bose sub, just the bar. 1400 $ a bit pricey imho.

Some guy
post #86 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I was using standard for about a week but just switched to movie which I seem to like better. I might be mistaken but when watching regular TV with Dolby Audio, dialogue comes through the center as it should with other sound from the forward left and right (plus sub). On movie mode, the effect seems a little more pronounced, but also engages the side and upward firing speakers to make a faux atmos effect. I might switch back to regular. I do like that an Atmos signal will override these presets, but I do find it strange that a DTS signal will not.

post #87 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:

So...will you keep it?

post #88 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Is central channel adjustable?
post #89 of 1986 Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So...will you keep it?
Its growing on me. Will see...

Some guy
post #90 of 1986 Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Is central channel adjustable?
Not manually. It seems it can only be changed by the few presets that are available, but even then it's not a true 'adjustment.'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page