Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1171 of 1987 Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppama7515 View Post
Hi,

There are discrete rear channels if you use Optical Connection and Change the soundbar Mode to Movie Mode. Can someone Please also Test if it works?
But Atmos with discrete rear channels is not possible with this Connection.
So are you saying DD 5.1 thru optical from TV gives discreet rear channels when you run a DD 5.1 test file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1987 Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, I tested it several times with several 5.1 Videos.
It works if you set to Movie mode in the soundbar (standard does not work).
With ARC or LG Sound Sync it does not give a true dircrete Rear left and right, its a kind of Stereo Mix, but if you use the optical connetion (volume change with TV remote not possible) there is a discrete Rear left and rear right.
post #1173 of 1987 Old 12-23-2017, 07:48 AM

I have connected the Soundbar to my LG OLED65C7D with a optical cable. (For ARC via HDMI highspeed w. Ethernet)
I also get with ARC a delay in the rear channels, which does not exist with the optical connection.
So far there is only the disadvasntage of missing Atmos Support, and that it is not possible to use the TV remote.
So far I only turn on the rear Speakers if I am wathong a good movie, and therefor I use in the TV the LG Sound Sync mode to be able to change the volume with the TV remote.
When I watch movies I change to optical connection mode in the TV (not LG Sound Sync optical). To change volume I use my mobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1987 Old 12-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Hi,

There are discrete rear channels if you use Optical Connection and Change the soundbar Mode to Movie Mode. Can someone Please also Test if it works?
But Atmos with discrete rear channels is not possible with this Connection.
What do you use to test 5.1? I have tried youtube app on B7. I have SJ8 (not SJ9) and H4 and H5 setup in the surround mode.

If I tried optical or HDMI it doesn't make difference. I get all channels on the soundbar while rear speakers cancel only the opposite side - so, for example, H4 set as "rear right" would give "front right", "center" and "rear right".

Changing between cinema or standard mode also doesn't make difference.

Do you get this when you connect it with HDMI and only "rear right" when you connect via optical?
post #1175 of 1987 Old 12-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
To test 5.1, run the last episode of "Test Patterns" on Netflix.
schalliol likes this.
post #1176 of 1987 Old 12-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I have connected the Soundbar to my LG OLED65C7D with a optical cable. (For ARC via HDMI highspeed w. Ethernet)
I also get with ARC a delay in the rear channels, which does not exist with the optical connection.
So far there is only the disadvasntage of missing Atmos Support, and that it is not possible to use the TV remote.
So far I only turn on the rear Speakers if I am wathong a good movie, and therefor I use in the TV the LG Sound Sync mode to be able to change the volume with the TV remote.
When I watch movies I change to optical connection mode in the TV (not LG Sound Sync optical). To change volume I use my mobile.
Have you tried connecting a device, blueray or tivo, to HDMI in on the SJ9 to see if DD 5.1 gives discreet rear channels that way? If that worked then you may be able to still use Simplink so you can control volume with one remote.
post #1177 of 1987 Old 12-26-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ144 View Post
I was playing around with a similar setup the other day. When I connected the UP970 to my OLED55B7P and the SJ9 to the TV via HDMI ARC, ATMOS is displayed on the soundbar, meaning it was passed through the TV, but there was a noticeable audio sync (delayed) issue. Plugging the UP970 directly into the SJ9 solves this.
Over all I have been happy with the H7 setup as the rear speakers. When I installed them in the Music Flow app they both received an update. I setup surround mode with the H7's and it sounds discreet to me in some cases and not so much in others. It changes with different inputs and shows. It does require a strong wireless signal in your room and I have had occasional dropout. I am considering purchasing a few more of the H-7's to put around the house.
post #1178 of 1987 Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
So for some reason, the NUC is not getting the signal that HDR is available from the TV when going thru ARC to the soundbar. Double check again that you did enable HDR on the TV HDMI/ARC port that is connected to the SJ9.
It very much is. I, as far as I know can't turn it on or off. It's always on what I know. It's the same HDMI port I tried with my NUC as I have the soundbar in.
post #1179 of 1987 Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I’ve had the SJ9 for a couple of months now and just ran into an issue. Either the HDMI in or the HDMI out port has stopped working. It went from simply working yesterday to no signal today. I’ve checked the firmware, and I’ve checked my cables and my TVs ARC port, and both are functioning, so I’ve narrowed it down to the sound bar. Any suggestions or ideas about what I can do, or what may be happening?
post #1180 of 1987 Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 PM

I spoke to LG support and I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever dealt with someone dumber. They tried to tell me if I connected my Apple TV to the hdmi IN and then annhdmi cable from HDMI out to the ARC port on my tv that I would only get audio. They said there is now way for me to get video using the sound bar. They had no idea what pass through meant. I asked them to explain to me how I would be able to watch what was on my Apple TV if I connected it to the hdmi in port if it was how they said it was. They said there should be another port on my Apple TV to get the video. I **** you not.
post #1181 of 1987 Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dil23 View Post
I have the samething happen to me with my Xbox One X. I powered it on one day, and switch my soundbar input to HDMI IN. And I get no signal. I tried turning the soundbar on/off, switch input of the soundbar, and finally enabling and disabling HDMI UHD color on my LGOLEDB7. None of it helped.

Did either of you find a solution to this issue?
Water68man likes this.
post #1182 of 1987 Old 12-28-2017, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by loic.juillerat View Post
I own a 2016 B6 Oled and I was asking myself how good is the ARC connection between soundbar abd TV. Is the power on of the soundbar instant with the nagic remote. I want to replace my Sony HT-XT3 soundplate as the ARC implementation is quite buggy. Power on is also very slow. Thanks for your advices.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk
Seems there have been a number of firmware updates to the HT-XT3 to solve compatibility issues with non-sony TV's.

http://www.sony.com.au/electronics/s...loads/00014971
post #1183 of 1987 Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers View Post
First I would try power cycling all connected components by unplugging AC power for 30 seconds.

Second you can try a full reset:
Resetting the SJ9
Press and hold the +(Add) button on the back of the SJ9 (not the + volume up button) until you hear the
beep sound once. You can see “DISABLED” on the display window. Then all wireless network ports
are deactivated and the stored wireless network information is deleted.

Press and hold the (Add) button until you hear the beep sound twice. You can see “RESET” on the
display window. You can reset the speaker to its original factory settings.
post #1184 of 1987 Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpc View Post
Over all I have been happy with the H7 setup as the rear speakers. When I installed them in the Music Flow app they both received an update. I setup surround mode with the H7's and it sounds discreet to me in some cases and not so much in others. It changes with different inputs and shows. It does require a strong wireless signal in your room and I have had occasional dropout. I am considering purchasing a few more of the H-7's to put around the house.
pwpc, since the H7 is a stereo speaker, can you set the musicflow app to send the right and left rear channels to just one speaker?
post #1185 of 1987 Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Follow up to the SJ9?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12...stant-speaker/

Wonder if you could use two Thin Qs as rears...
post #1186 of 1987 Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

post #1187 of 1987 Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
pwpc, since the H7 is a stereo speaker, can you set the musicflow app to send the right and left rear channels to just one speaker?
In the Music Flow App when you go into Surround mode it asks to assign a speaker for the left and a speaker for the right. With the exception of dropouts (do to network connectivity I believe) I am very happy with the setup.
post #1188 of 1987 Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpc View Post
In the Music Flow App when you go into Surround mode it asks to assign a speaker for the left and a speaker for the right. With the exception of dropouts (do to network connectivity I believe) I am very happy with the setup.
Thanks for your evaluation, I think I may try it with the price of the H7's so low on closeouts.

Be aware that you can change the mesh network channel in the musicflow app, maybe a different channel will not have interference or dropouts.
post #1189 of 1987 Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
hm.. do you mind explaining how can I use this to test 5.1. I've run the Season 4 Episode 1, but I have no idea how does this test my sound and how do I know if H3s are behaving as rear speakers and that they are not picking up the front channel.

Thx

Does the inbuilt youtube app on B7 gives 5.1 sound? There is a test video on yt.
post #1190 of 1987 Old 12-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker87 View Post
Quote:
hm.. do you mind explaining how can I use this to test 5.1. I've run the Season 4 Episode 1, but I have no idea how does this test my sound and how do I know if H3s are behaving as rear speakers and that they are not picking up the front channel.

Thx [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Does the inbuilt youtube app on B7 gives 5.1 sound? There is a test video on yt.
Season 4, episode 3 or episode 4 will have channel tests. Right channel, center channel, etc.
Water68man and seeker87 like this.
post #1191 of 1987 Old 12-30-2017, 06:52 PM

Help with LG SJ9 max Volume

When I turn up the volume on my SJ9 it jumps from 39 to MAX. It happens whether it's connected to my TV (LG OLED B6) via ARC or optical or to my phone playing music via bluetooth. Is this how it's supposed to work or is something wrong? If the latter, is there a way to fix it or is the soundbar defective? Thanks to anyone who can help.
post #1192 of 1987 Old 12-31-2017, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackphillip View Post
When I turn up the volume on my SJ9 it jumps from 39 to MAX. It happens whether it's connected to my TV (LG OLED B6) via ARC or optical or to my phone playing music via bluetooth. Is this how it's supposed to work or is something wrong? If the latter, is there a way to fix it or is the soundbar defective? Thanks to anyone who can help.
40 is the max. Which I find unfortunate with most iTunes movies, as their volume is often low. MAX with the bar, then, is sometimes too low.

Other instances you more than likely won't need to crank it that high.
post #1193 of 1987 Old 12-31-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
According to AVSForum article the follow up models will get a dedicated rear speaker package (SPK8).

https://www.avsforum.com/lg-soundbars-ces-2018/

While not all hope is lost yet I‘d guess us SJ9 owners will be left out in the rain regarding a well working rear speaker solution.

Last edited by utility73; 12-31-2017 at 05:03 AM.
post #1194 of 1987 Old 12-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Google Home and SJ9 and Spotify Connect issue:

Anyone else seeing this?
  • SJ9 is turned OFF
  • I ask my Google Home to play something "Hey Google, play Stevie Wonder"
  • Google Home complies and plays the music from ITSELF (desired result)
  • SJ9 turns ON (Why?)

I'm not sure but I think this has something to do with Spotify Connect?

Have any of you peeps seen this happen?
Taaar.
post #1195 of 1987 Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dil23 View Post
I have the samething happen to me with my Xbox One X. I powered it on one day, and switch my soundbar input to HDMI IN. And I get no signal. I tried turning the soundbar on/off, switch input of the soundbar, and finally enabling and disabling HDMI UHD color on my LGOLEDB7. None of it helped.
Unplug the power for about 2 min. It happens to me once in a while. Thought it was my Xbox at first...
post #1196 of 1987 Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
40 is the max. Which I find unfortunate with most iTunes movies, as their volume is often low. MAX with the bar, then, is sometimes too low.

Other instances you more than likely won't need to crank it that high.
Thank you. It's a big help to know it's not a problem with my setup or hardware. It's true that the volume is fine for some content, but not some movies, you-tube videos, and random other content, which is unexpected and disappointing.
post #1197 of 1987 Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utility73 View Post
According to AVSForum article the follow up models will get a dedicated rear speaker package (SPK8).

https://www.avsforum.com/lg-soundbars-ces-2018/

While not all hope is lost yet I‘d guess us SJ9 owners will be left out in the rain regarding a well working rear speaker solution.
Maybe, just maybe they will decide to support the SJ9 with the SPK8 package. But I think our odds are slim to none.
post #1198 of 1987 Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Maybe, just maybe they will decide to support the SJ9 with the SPK8 package. But I think our odds are slim to none.
I think your odds are accurate i find with most of the big brand companies once they come out with a new model the old model is soon forgotten and no longer updated. I find this a lot with TVs and their apps that is why I usually recommend a streaming box of some kind instead of the internal apps. The external boxes tend to be updated for a longer period of time. I don't think it is much different for sound bars. They might have an update to fix a problem but after new models come out it is rare they update one to add features unless it is the same platform as the new model and the update works for multiple models.
post #1199 of 1987 Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The 2017 LG OLED's do support ATMOS over ARC, LG did something with their HDMI ARC to make it work.

My SJ9 has no problem like yours, turns on via HDMI CEC or remote power button. Note that your HDMI cable must have ethernet support to have CEC work. The white light on the front is always on when in standby. Try changing the Auto Power setting, check to see if you have any Sleep settings. What is really strange is the remote power button does not turn it on, so you may want to do a Reset of the SJ9. Would also be curious to know if you unplug devices from the HDMI ports on the SJ9 can you then turn it on via the remote.

Resetting the SJ9
Press and hold the +(Add) button on the back of the SJ9 (not the + volume up button) until you hear the
beep sound once. You can see “DISABLED” on the display window. Then all wireless network ports
are deactivated and the stored wireless network information is deleted.

Press and hold the (Add) button until you hear the beep sound twice. You can see “RESET” on the
display window. You can reset the speaker to its original factory settings.
Unfortunately its not working. I tried everything... Looks like its some issue with my sound bar. But its not turning off when I`m using it before 24 hours. I thinking about Xbox One S since it have Kodi, so maybe when I will be using only HDMI IN maybe it will work.
post #1200 of 1987 Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anyone get a loud distorted sound from sj9 when booting up the xbox and the only way to stop it is to turn the speakers off and on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page