Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1201 of 1987 Old 01-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
So, if anyone is suffering from low/anemic sound via ARC to HDMI connected devices, I found some weird "fix" by accident.

I was playing an Atmos movie on Vudu with my CC U plugged into the bar (2016 LG OLED, so no DD+ over ARC) and after when I went to play content on my Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra over ARC I noticed the volume level was so much better on those devices. I was literally hitting MAX on some movies in iTunes and FandangoNOW before. Not anymore.

The problem arises again each time after turning off everything and booting back up. So, now it's my routine to play a few seconds of Atmos Vudu via HDMI In before I start a TV session each night.

I have no idea why I have this problem in the first place, though. There is a troubleshooting section in the SJ9 manual for low volume. I checked to make sure all the sound settings were kosher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1987 Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Has anybody owned both the LG SJ9 and the Samsung MS650?
Which soundbar has the best sound quality?
I'm aware that the SJ9 has a subwoofer, the MS650 does not
Dolby Atmos is not important to me
I got the Samsung a few days ago and like it
But now I can't stop wondering if I should have gone for the LG
The price is low right now for the SJ9
I would love to hear your experiences

Last edited by jake51; 01-06-2018 at 09:05 AM.
post #1203 of 1987 Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leej00 View Post
Anyone get a loud distorted sound from sj9 when booting up the xbox and the only way to stop it is to turn the speakers off and on?
Me too.
I get that loud and distorted sound even when i resume Xbox One X from idle state. That loud and random sound always frightens me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1987 Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi
Quick question/clarification. I own a 2017 lg 65e7p.
If I hook up 2 atmos devices directly to the tv and connect
the tv to the sound bar via arc, will the tv output atmos to the sound bar
from the 2 sources and the tv's internal apps. It seems like this should
work but with all the problems people are bringing up I'm a little nervous about pulling the trigger.
I'm wall mounting the tv next week and don't really want to wait until march for the new model to be released
post #1205 of 1987 Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi everyone. I am thinking of getting a SJ9, and I have a 65" B7A LG TV. I understand that TV (after update) supports ATMOS. The soundbar is going to be on a mantle that only has one HDMI connection available. Am I correct to say that what I should do is plug my TV into a source directly and then plug the SJ9 into the HDMI ARC "input", which then the TV can route the sound through? It seems like even if I had more than one HDMI, it makes the most sense to run everything into the TV so we just have to have one input used on the TV. Thanks!
post #1206 of 1987 Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ARC Failure

I've got an LG C7P TV with an SJ9 connected via HDMI/ARC, basically the simplest setup possible. I've been using it since Black Friday without any problems. Until tonight.

I was happily binge-watching an ATMOS-enabled shown on Netflix, when suddenly, in the middle of an episode, the sound totally cut out. The LED on the soundbar now shows Optical instead of HDMI/ARC, and since I don't have an optical connection, I have no sound. I'm able to connect the TV and SJ9 with Bluetooth, but obviously the sound suffers.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I swapped out the HDMI cable, even though the old one has worked fine for 5 weeks. I also did a factory reset on the soundbar, but that was no help. It's a mystery, because nothing was changed; it just stopped working in the middle of the program.

I've still got 5 days to return the unit, and if I can't figure it out I'll probably do that. Frankly, I may do it either way because I don't love the soundbar. But I'm baffled by the whole thing.
post #1207 of 1987 Old 01-09-2018, 04:33 AM

Wow. That?s strange. It sounds like you?re connecting it like I was thinking of doing. Right?

I wonder if there was some sort of electrical surge/short over HDMI that cooked it. If probably exchange it to be safe. Another idea is run something else into that port to make sure the TV?s ARC isn?t what?s messed up.
post #1208 of 1987 Old 01-09-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPSlOCKoN View Post
I've got an LG C7P TV with an SJ9 connected via HDMI/ARC, basically the simplest setup possible. I've been using it since Black Friday without any problems. Until tonight.

I was happily binge-watching an ATMOS-enabled shown on Netflix, when suddenly, in the middle of an episode, the sound totally cut out. The LED on the soundbar now shows Optical instead of HDMI/ARC, and since I don't have an optical connection, I have no sound. I'm able to connect the TV and SJ9 with Bluetooth, but obviously the sound suffers.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I swapped out the HDMI cable, even though the old one has worked fine for 5 weeks. I also did a factory reset on the soundbar, but that was no help. It's a mystery, because nothing was changed; it just stopped working in the middle of the program.

I've still got 5 days to return the unit, and if I can't figure it out I'll probably do that. Frankly, I may do it either way because I don't love the soundbar. But I'm baffled by the whole thing.
Did you try power cycling the tv and soundbar, disconnect ac power to both wait 30 seconds and plug back in.
post #1209 of 1987 Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Did you try power cycling the tv and soundbar, disconnect ac power to both wait 30 seconds and plug back in.
Thank you! That fixed it!
post #1210 of 1987 Old 01-10-2018, 11:50 AM

anyone know if we will ever get DTS X and DTS HD through firmware update?
post #1211 of 1987 Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking of getting a SJ9, and I have a 65" B7A LG TV. I understand that TV (after update) supports ATMOS. The soundbar is going to be on a mantle that only has one HDMI connection available. Am I correct to say that what I should do is plug my TV into a source directly and then plug the SJ9 into the HDMI ARC "input", which then the TV can route the sound through? It seems like even if I had more than one HDMI, it makes the most sense to run everything into the TV so we just have to have one input used on the TV. Thanks!
This is an okay to run it for maximum quality, right? Thanks!
post #1212 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvnart84 View Post
anyone know if we will ever get DTS X and DTS HD through firmware update?
Doubt that we will get any new features like DTS X, companies seldom add new features that were never in their marketing materials when the product is released.

I believe the new LG ATMOS soundbar for 2018 is going to support DTS X, so maybe we have a slim chance of getting it.
post #1213 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
This is an okay to run it for maximum quality, right? Thanks!
I would start with connecting the HDMI devices to the TV HDMI in ports and then connecting the TV to the soundbar via HDMI/ARC in your case. That would be the best way to go if everything works, that way you can use one remote for power on/off and sound level and switching sources, some people have had issues with sound sync in that configuration, not sure if LG firmware updates have totally solved that or not.
post #1214 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanks, Terrestrial!

This is excellent. To be honest, I've had some sound sync issues on the LG panel without a soundbar, so hopefully that will all work. I'm going to run optical too as a backup. I suppose a downside with optical is that no instructions are carried by the TV, in addition to a limitation on the bandwidth that can go through there.
post #1215 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have an oled 65E6 and i connect my apple tv 4k to the SJ9 soundbar and I connect the hdmi output to the tv, but I can't get a picture using chroma 4:2:2 only 4:2:0. However, I do get a picture on my hdmi 2 but it keeps blinking a black screen. I have ultra HD color enabled on all the hdmi inputs and I am using blue jean hdmi cables. Anyone having similar problems? I don't have this problem when I connect the apple 4k directly to the tv.
post #1216 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
I have an oled 65E6 and i connect my apple tv 4k to the SJ9 soundbar and I connect the hdmi output to the tv, but I can't get a picture using chroma 4:2:2 only 4:2:0. However, I do get a picture on my hdmi 2 but it keeps blinking a black screen. I have ultra HD color enabled on all the hdmi inputs and I am using blue jean hdmi cables. Anyone having similar problems? I don't have this problem when I connect the apple 4k directly to the tv.
Can you connect the Apple TV to the TV and the HDMI ARC to the soundbar?
post #1217 of 1987 Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Can you connect the Apple TV to the TV and the HDMI ARC to the soundbar?

well that worked. but is there a way to have the soundbar automatically play from arc? it starts under “hdmi”, but i get no sound unless i change the sound source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1218 of 1987 Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Terrestrial!

This is excellent. To be honest, I've had some sound sync issues on the LG panel without a soundbar, so hopefully that will all work. I'm going to run optical too as a backup. I suppose a downside with optical is that no instructions are carried by the TV, in addition to a limitation on the bandwidth that can go through there.
Optical would limit you to PCM and DD 5.1 audio, plus be aware that when you hook up optical the soundbar seems to want to make optical the default input when you turn it on instead of HDMI/ARC. Maybe a firmware update has fixed this as I have not tried that in awhile, I just leave optical disconnected unless I really need it for some reason.

To have the TV remote control the soundbar you will need to enable Simplink on the TV/ARC port.
post #1219 of 1987 Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
I recall someone else on this board having a similar problem passing that video config thru the soundbar, I think they changed to connecting the apple tv to the TV.
post #1220 of 1987 Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 AM

ya someone mentioned that and it worked. I wish i would have thought of that before dumping money on extra hdmi cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1221 of 1987 Old 01-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Same here. I had sparkle artifacts and intermittent video black-outs with the AppleTV connected through the SJ9. Wasted money trying different HDMI cables. I ended up directly connecting the AppleTV to my B7A and using ARC to get the audio over to the soundbar, which has worked just fine. My guess is the SJ9 has problem pushing video formats requiring high bandwidth.
post #1222 of 1987 Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Methinks it's a 4K HDR 60 FPS thing pass thru thing. I can force my Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra to 4K HDR 60 FPS with them plugged into the bar, but the bar doesn't like it very much. Very unstable that way. Even with the Belkin 48 Gbps cables. It likes 4K HDR 30 FPS just fine, though.

I put those two devices on ARC now. No DD+ for me that way, but oh well (2016 OLED).
Fiction and mconnolly like this.
post #1223 of 1987 Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I’ve had my SJ9 for just under a month and am seriously considering returning it as there are a few issues with it that I can’t seem to overcome, most of which seem to be relating to the ARC implementation I think.

1. Lip sync issues of varying severity across pretty much anything connected to it. It is always the video first with the audio lagging behind, so no matter how much fiddling of audio delay that I do on either the soundbar, TV, Sky Q box or Apple TV 4K, it does not make it any better, just worse. My TV (Samsung 49KS7000) has the Sky Q and Apple TV 4K connected to it and then its connected to the SJ9 via the HDMI ARC connection. I have seen lip sync on the Sky Q and Apple TV 4K, sometimes worth than others but always there.

2. When watching either the Sky Q or Apple TV 4K, the soundbar randomly decides that it is going to drop the ARC connection and revert to the optical connection, even though there is nothing connected to the optical connection. I’ve tried changing the input on the soundbar and back again to try and resinstate the connection but it doesn’t work. The only way that I can get an ARC connection again is by turning the SJ9 off and on again.

3. The other issue I have been getting is on the Xbox One S that is connected to the HDMI In port on the soundbar. Every now and again, the video cuts out for 3-4 seconds and then comes back on again. The sound is not affected, just the video, but it is really annoying when either watching a movie or in the middle of a Call of Duty match! It doesn’t happen all the time, its very random.

I am running brand new Amazon Basic HDMI 2.0 High Speed with Ethernet cables throughout so I’ve ruled out any cabling issues. I really wish I could get these issues resolved as I really rate the soundbar for performance etc, but I just do not feel like I am getting a premium experience from this bar.
post #1224 of 1987 Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Tried H7's as rear surround - awful

Well I tried connecting a pair of H7's to the SJ9 as rear surround and it is in my opinion not useable. The H7's can be configured in the SJ9's mesh network as rear surrounds left and right, but the implementation if awful. Here were the issues, some I already knew, but until I tried it, I did not know how bad this was going to be.

1. The rear channels are not discreet, and what the SJ9 decides to sent to them varies from nothing, to very loud to just bad (very bad) simulated rear surround depending on input source and audio format.
2. Often the rear sound is delayed from the front sound, so sounds like an echo chamber.
3. You can not control volume level or mute on the rear speakers with your remote control, only manually on each speaker.

The only good thing is that the H7 by itself sounds pretty good if you use it as a standalone bluetooth speaker.

So for now, I will hold on to the slight hope that the 2018 ATMOS soundbar rear speaker option may work with the SJ9.
post #1225 of 1987 Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Well I tried connecting a pair of H7's to the SJ9 as rear surround and it is in my opinion not useable. The H7's can be configured in the SJ9's mesh network as rear surrounds left and right, but the implementation if awful. Here were the issues, some I already knew, but until I tried it, I did not know how bad this was going to be.

1. The rear channels are not discreet, and what the SJ9 decides to sent to them varies from nothing, to very loud to just bad (very bad) simulated rear surround depending on input source and audio format.
2. Often the rear sound is delayed from the front sound, so sounds like an echo chamber.
3. You can not control volume level or mute on the rear speakers with your remote control, only manually on each speaker.

The only good thing is that the H7 by itself sounds pretty good if you use it as a standalone bluetooth speaker.

So for now, I will hold on to the slight hope that the 2018 ATMOS soundbar rear speaker option may work with the SJ9.
I hope so too. That is what is holding me back from the SJ9. No rear speakers for a true surround sound experience. Most reviews give the edge to the Samsung HW-K950 because of the rear surrounds.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1226 of 1987 Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Are the Atmos effects any better now than they were at this soundbar's launch?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #1227 of 1987 Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just picked this up with a B7 and the audio sync with my Xbox One X when outputting Atmos is completely unusable. Anyone know how to fix this? The one workaround I saw was to connect the Xbox to the HDMI in port, which does correct the issue, but now I can’t control everything through one remote which is also unacceptable. Should I just return it?
post #1228 of 1987 Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
It does the same thing with my PS4 Pro too
Is this an issue with any sound bar when using an ARC connection or just this one?
post #1229 of 1987 Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Could anyone please help with how best to set this up?

I have a Samsung 55KU6600 tv (2016, Amazon's version of the KU6500). Annoyingly, hdmi 3 is ARC but only HDMI 1 is UHD color (i.e. "HDR" - I know this tv isn't 10-bit, but it's better than without)

I have a couple of 4k HDR sources I want to connect and obtain 4k HDR and dolby atmos. The 2 options I can think of are as follows:

1. Buy a 4k HDR-compatible hdmi switch (e.g. smartoo 23051), and connect this to the SJ9. Output my xbox one x and fire tv to the switch. Connect the SJ9 to the tv via hdmi into the hdmi 1 socket (hdr). This should hopefully give me 4k hdr video and atmos sound for sources connected to the SJ9, correct? In order to get sound from the tv's bult in apps, would I have to run an optical cable to the SJ9 too?

2. Buy a 4k HDR-compatible hdmi switch, and connect this to the tv's hdmi 1 (hdr) socket. Output my xbox one x and fire tv to the switch. Connect the SJ9 to the tv via hdmi into the hdmi 3 (ARC)socket. This should give me 4k hdr video on my xbox one x and fire tv, but what is the best sound I will get via arc to the SJ9? Also, I wouldn't need an optical for this setup would I?

Is option 1. the preferable setup? For the tv built in apps, what do I lose if I connect to the sj9 via optical rather than hdmi arc?

Thanks
post #1230 of 1987 Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys,

I just had my SJ9 delivered today and I'm running across an annoying bug. I've tried my best to read through this entire thread but only had time to get to page 12 so forgive me if this has been addressed.

I've got a TCL 55P607 and I'm connected to the soundbar with the ARC port (HDMI 3) with a brand new HDMI 2.0 cable (SecurOMax) I got from Amazon I bought for the soundbar.

Opening up VUDU on the built in Roku on my TV to test out the AMAZE Atmos demo and it shows "Dolby Audio" on the soundbar display. If I change the source and then come back to HDMI ARC then it will proudly show Dolby Atmos and I can hear the difference that Atmos is now engaged.

Once the clip ends the soundbar goes back to normal Dolby Audio and won't restart Atmos if I try to play the clip again. I can repeat this process over and over without fail.

1.Start Atmos clip - no Atmos

2.Scroll through inputs - Atmos, but then switches right back off after the clip is over.

Is this a normal quirk on this soundbar to basically trick it into detecting an Atmos source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page