Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1291 of 1987 Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabik123 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm really interested in getting an SJ9 setup for my new LG OLED65E7P (just waiting for another $400 sale). I've been trying to understand how everything works, and going through all of the Atmos forums is really making my head spin... I've tried reading through some of the forums and am a little confused. Could someone give me a little guidance on the following?

1) As I understand it, the SJ9 needs to be plugged into the ARC port on my E7 by HDMI. Does the SJ9 pass through dolby vision, or just HDR10? Also, does it add input lag if i want to run an xbox one x through it?

2) Does the ARC connection carry Dolby Atmos sound from the tv to the souundbar? With Netflix originals now basically all supporting atmos, id love to know how to get the soundbar to play atmos from the TV (as I understand it, optical won't carry Atmos, only HDMI)?

3) Assuming 2) above is a yes, does Atmos pass through the TV? I.e. if I have an xbox one x and apple tv plugged into the TV by HDMI, as well as the sound bar into the ARC, will the ATMOS signal from the Xbox One X pass through the TV to the sound bar, or does the soundbar only accept Atmos through its HDMI input port?

4) Does the SJ9 connect wirelessly to rear speakers AND still play Atmos tracks? Is it worthwhile to get rear channel speakers if I'm sitting around 7-8 feet from the TV/Soundbar?

Thank you in advance!!
You will get lossless Atmos with whatever device you have plugged into the bar.

You will get lossy Atmos over ARC.

Rears are not working correctly with this bar. Rule em out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1987 Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post

Thank you!! Is it worthwhile to get this, then, if most of my Atmos content will be coming from the netflix app on the TV, to be played out by the ARC port to the soundbar? Also, any indication if it passes through Dolby Vision, or just HDR 10?

Thanks again
post #1293 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!! Is it worthwhile to get this, then, if most of my Atmos content will be coming from the netflix app on the TV, to be played out by the ARC port to the soundbar? Also, any indication if it passes through Dolby Vision, or just HDR 10?

Thanks again [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Good news:

Yes on Netflix Atmos over ARC with your E7. I own an E6. No for me.

&

Yes, it passes DV. Chromecast Ultra and Apple TV both work/worked for me via HDMI IN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Connecting your devices to an HDMI switch and from the switch to the sound bar, then from the sound bar to the projector. Since the projectors you are considering are not 4K a basic switch will work. All of them should be able to handle Dolby True HD for Atmos.

Thank you for the response, so which HDMI switch should I buy and from where?
Yes I though of buying a 4k projector, but 4k on projectors are still expensive and they need to work out all their bugs.
So apple tv 4k, ps4 pro, xbox one x all connected to the hdmi switch and the hdmi switch hdmi cable to the soundbar hdmi in? and from soundbar hdmi out to projector hdmi in?
post #1295 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Good news:

&

Yes, it passes DV. Chromecast Ultra and Apple TV both work/worked for me via HDMI IN.
Thanks again! The $400 ebay buydig deal just popped up this morning and I bought mine

I'll probably run my xbox one x through the sound bar and rely on ARC for everything else.
post #1296 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Good news:

&

Thanks again! The $400 ebay buydig deal just popped up this morning and I bought mine [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I'll probably run my xbox one x through the sound bar and rely on ARC for everything else.
Nice. Hopefully it works great for you and you are totally satisfied.

Here is the eBay deal he/she was referencing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-SJ9-Soun...h/311839416798
post #1297 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a question regarding this sound bar, is there any DTS MA, X, any other DTS codec coming to this sound bar in a firmware update? As of right now, it only supports Dolby and basic DTS correct?

LG OLED65C7P
LG SJ9
Xbox One X
post #1298 of 1987 Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 PM

I asked the above question because the new LG SK10Y was announced at CES, though it didn't specify DTS X, their sound bars below the SK10Y offer DTS codec so assuming the SK10Y will as well. Though nothing is certain, with this sound bar being had an incredible price, it's hard to pass up but no DTS codec would be a deal killer since not all 4K movies have Dolby Atmos.
Zoland2020 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P
LG SJ9
Xbox One X
post #1299 of 1987 Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Thank you for the response, so which HDMI switch should I buy and from where?
Yes I though of buying a 4k projector, but 4k on projectors are still expensive and they need to work out all their bugs.
So apple tv 4k, ps4 pro, xbox one x all connected to the hdmi switch and the hdmi switch hdmi cable to the soundbar hdmi in? and from soundbar hdmi out to projector hdmi in?
Any switch should work. I would try an inexpensive one from Amazon or Monoprice and if it doesn't work then get a better one.
post #1300 of 1987 Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

*link removed*
Wow is that seller legit and selling a brand new one? Ive been on the fence about getting one but that price is crazy and ill have to .
post #1301 of 1987 Old 02-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Quote:

*link removed*
Wow is that seller legit and selling a brand new one? Ive been on the fence about getting one but that price is crazy and ill have to [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG].
Yes. Legit.

Alot of us have been buying the SJ9 on eBay from buydig since July at $399.00, when they discount it every so often.

They have been discounting it more often, now. That's because the new model will be out in the Spring.
post #1302 of 1987 Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes. Legit.

Alot of us have been buying the SJ9 on eBay from buydig since July at $399.00, when they discount it every so often.

They have been discounting it more often, now. That's because the new model will be out in the Spring.
Good to know thanks! I didnt know there was a new model. Can you point me to some info on it or maybe a model # to search for?
post #1303 of 1987 Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Quote:
Yes. Legit.

Good to know thanks! I didnt know there was a new model. Can you point me to some info on it or maybe a model # to search for?
http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SK10Y-sound-bar

I would also seriously consider the 2018 Sony Z9F/ZF9. No ceiling reflecting for the Atmos effect. Optional rears, too.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-z9f
post #1304 of 1987 Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Thanks Skunkbeard, very much appreciated. I went ahead and bought the SJ9, for that price its a no brainer. Can always upgrade to the new model or the Sony in the spring and move the SJ9 to the kids room.
post #1305 of 1987 Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is there a way to turn off the MusicFlow access point? It just adds noise nearby, since I don't use it.
post #1306 of 1987 Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just checked out that Ebay seller, it says there's 0 available? does that mean it's sold out/
post #1307 of 1987 Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Is there a way to turn off the MusicFlow access point? It just adds noise nearby, since I don't use it.
You can not turn it off, but you can change the channel freq if it is causing interference.
post #1308 of 1987 Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
I just checked out that Ebay seller, it says there's 0 available? does that mean it's sold out/
They have it often on sale, if they are still taking orders, I would order it and you should get it when they have it back in stock.
post #1309 of 1987 Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
You can not turn it off, but you can change the channel freq if it is causing interference.
Thanks, and boy, that's irritating. How do you change it's channel? I didn't see anything like that.
post #1310 of 1987 Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The H5 & H7's are your only option for rear surrounds. I tried the H7's in January and found the solution totally unacceptable and returned them. You can see my write up in a previous post .
The H7 work perfectly fine, you need to configure then using the surround option so the LED is purple on all 3 not link which is green on the LED. then you need to turn off the compression on the speakers in the settings as without doing that they do sound terrible.

also make sure the sound bar and the speakers have the latest firmware.

The rears do not work with normal tv channels but fine for movies or netflix, blurays etc.
post #1311 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any help would be great folks before I smash the crap out of this unit.

Setup -

Xbox one x - hdmi in - SJ9 - hdmi arc - LG 65UB9200-UC

The issue I am running into is Netflix not playing 4k on the xbox but it sees dolby atmos. If I plug the hdmi cable directly into my tv on a non ARC port from my XBOX one x then I get 4k Netflix and of course no dolby atmos.

I tried the Netflix app on the tv and of course I get 4k and no atmos as the tv does not support atmos.

If I cannot get this working I might just take this back today for the price I am expecting the handoff to still pass 4k

Any ideas?
post #1312 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Thanks, and boy, that's irritating. How do you change it's channel? I didn't see anything like that.
In the MusicFlow app go to settings, then advanced settings, there you can change the mesh network channel freq.
post #1313 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lewis View Post

Setup -

The issue I am running into is Netflix not playing 4k on the xbox but it sees dolby atmos. If I plug the hdmi cable directly into my tv on a non ARC port from my XBOX one x then I get 4k Netflix and of course no dolby atmos.

I tried the Netflix app on the tv and of course I get 4k and no atmos as the tv does not support atmos.

If I cannot get this working I might just take this back today for the price I am expecting the handoff to still pass 4k

Any ideas?
Make sure you have ultra HD deep colour selected on for the ARC HDMI on the TV.

When you are sure it is on, go back into your Xbox settings>Display and sound>video output and make sure the TV resolution is set to 4K UHD
post #1314 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Setup -

Any ideas?
If you are running your apps from the Xbox try plugging the sound bar into a non-HDMI input.
post #1315 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddy8 View Post
Make sure you have ultra HD deep colour selected on for the ARC HDMI on the TV.

When you are sure it is on, go back into your Xbox settings>Display and sound>video output and make sure the TV resolution is set to 4K UHD
Not sure if my tv has that setting. I checked but i know for sure it does not have HDR. What makes it interesting is i pop in the hdmi directly from my xbox no pass through and life is good with regards to picking up Netflix 4k. In settings its set to 4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
If you are running your apps from the Xbox try plugging the sound bar into a non-HDMI input.
Ellebob you lost me a little on this one. The sound bar has to be plugged in via HDMI for atmos to work. No other way of connecting otherwise.
post #1316 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Not sure if my tv has that setting. I checked but i know for sure it does not have HDR. What makes it interesting is i pop in the hdmi directly from my xbox no pass through and life is good with regards to picking up Netflix 4k. In settings its set to 4k.

Ellebob you lost me a little on this one. The sound bar has to be plugged in via HDMI for atmos to work. No other way of connecting otherwise.
If it’s 4K on the Xbox settings when you’ve connected through the soundbar then it should work.. what happens if you connect the Xbox into the arc port on the TV?

Also, make sure you have updated the soundbar firmware

To check if your TV ha the deep colour setting go into settings>general and scroll to the bottom. That’s where it is in the new TVs but not sure about the UB9200

Last edited by Spuddy8; 02-20-2018 at 12:38 PM.
post #1317 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You said the sound bar is plugged into the ARC input of the TV. ARC is for getting sound from the TV to the sound bar which is what you use if playing the TV apps. You also said if you plug the Xbox into one of the other inputs and it works fine. It sounds like you are not using the TV apps and you are using the apps from the Xbox instead i.e. Netflix. So ARC is not needed and you don't have to use the ARC input for the sound bar.

Plug the Xbox into the sound bar HDI input and the sound bar's HDMI output plug into one of the TV inputs (whichever one you plugged the Xbox into) and not the ARC input. Then see if it works.
post #1318 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfranklin View Post
Quote:
The H5 & H7's are your only option for rear surrounds. I tried the H7's in January and found the solution totally unacceptable and returned them. You can see my write up in a previous post .
The H7 work perfectly fine, you need to configure then using the surround option so the LED is purple on all 3 not link which is green on the LED. then you need to turn off the compression on the speakers in the settings as without doing that they do sound terrible.

also make sure the sound bar and the speakers have the latest firmware.

The rears do not work with normal tv channels but fine for movies or netflix, blurays etc.
You are the first to state they are acceptable and not a hindrance in this thread.

Did LG fix something?
post #1319 of 1987 Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with an issue, the sub keeps disconnecting and the green light blinks a few times before it connects again, since i dont have the rear speakers or mesh network there is no way of changing the wireless channel, its on latest firmware, tried factory reset couple of times, tried resetting the sub but issue persist, also tried changing the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels on the router (Asus Ac68) but still that does not fix it permemantly, The problem occurs with multiple input sources like xbox1s streaming boxes and built in apps, tv is 65c7p, thanks in advance for any help as im at the edge of sending it back, thanks
post #1320 of 1987 Old 02-21-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow83 View Post
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with an issue, the sub keeps disconnecting and the green light blinks a few times before it connects again, since i dont have the rear speakers or mesh network there is no way of changing the wireless channel, its on latest firmware, tried factory reset couple of times, tried resetting the sub but issue persist, also tried changing the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels on the router (Asus Ac68) but still that does not fix it permemantly, The problem occurs with multiple input sources like xbox1s streaming boxes and built in apps, tv is 65c7p, thanks in advance for any help as im at the edge of sending it back, thanks
The sub is connecting on the mesh network, you can change the mesh network channel in the MusicFlow app, advanced setting, in case there is interference.

Make sure the sub is close to the soundbar.

Make sure your router is at least 10 feet away from the soundbar/sub. You can not have your router close by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page