Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1411 of 1987 Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I went to Best Buy tonight to buy the SJ9 but their customer service is so bad I gave up. Now I’ll just either wait for a crazy sale or get the SK9Y/SK10 and later add the satellites if I want. Best Buy is the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1987 Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Pricing for the SPK8 rear channels seems to be around $175 - $180.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sound_bar.html

Again, we won't know if/how they work with the SJ9.
@LGUS confirmed that they do not work with the SJ9 on Twitter.

TV: LG 55OLEDB8P & C6P | Audio: LG SJ9 Atmos Soundbar
Source Devices: Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | PC | CCU | Nintendo Switch | Wii U
Switches: Monoprice Blackbird Pro 1x4 4K60+HDR switch (18 GB/s), CSRET 1x5 switch (up to 4K30) (10 GB/s?)
EDID Management: HDFury Vertex | Remote: Harmony Elite
post #1413 of 1987 Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Pricing for the SPK8 rear channels seems to be around $175 - $180.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sound_bar.html

Again, we won't know if/how they work with the SJ9.
Thank you.

Guessed they would not, with the way you are supposed to connect 'em up (from the 2018 user manuals).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1987 Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Well thats a pisser, guess I will wait for a sale on one of the SKY models and ebay the SJ9. But first will want to see how well the rears actually work on the SKY's.
post #1415 of 1987 Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hi, having a weird problem with sj9, when i use the music flow app to play local radio streams (tunein) the soundbar seems to drop out of wifi connection like every 20 mins...time is always about the same. Also it won't connect back to wifi until i pull the power plug and reconnect. I wonder is this soundbar failing or something else...i haven't had problems with wifi before im watching netflix on my tv all the time. Could this be something in my router that blocks it?
post #1416 of 1987 Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Quote:
Well thats a pisser, guess I will wait for a sale on one of the SKY models and ebay the SJ9. But first will want to see how well the rears actually work on the SKY's.
Out of curiosity, what happens when DTS:X content comes on? Does it resort to something much lower? You want to get rid of it just because the rears? I think this thing sounds fantastic in store but not owning it makes it hard to judge.
post #1417 of 1987 Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what happens when DTS:X content comes on? Does it resort to something much lower? You want to get rid of it just because the rears? I think this thing sounds fantastic in store but not owning it makes it hard to judge.
Never mind, I bit the bullet. I’ve never heard of Greentoe until today but that app is amazing. I threw an offer out for $450 and got a counter offer of $499 2 minutes later and said screw it. $499, no tax, no shipping and a 30 day return policy.
khackshaw likes this.
post #1418 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the SJ9 sounds great for a soundbar, but having come from a full AVR 7.1 system I really miss the surround rears for sports and movies.

The SJ9 does not support DTS:X, I believe the SKY versions will support DTS:X.
post #1419 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the SJ9 sounds great for a soundbar, but having come from a full AVR 7.1 system I really miss the surround rears for sports and movies.

Yeah that’s not a fair comparison lol.

I know it doesn’t have DTS:X. I was curious what it changed to if you watch a movie in DTS:X? Does it dumb it down to something lower or is it able to play it similar to Atmos?
post #1420 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know it doesn’t have DTS:X. I was curious what it changed to if you watch a movie in DTS:X? Does it dumb it down to something lower or is it able to play it similar to Atmos?
The SK series does not support DTS:X either. Check the user manual.

In my experience, playing DTS-HD results in the soundbar yielding a “format not supported” error (at least that’s what I remember from testing the Planet Earth II UHD Blu-ray), when passing audio directly to soundbar from Xbox settings. (So it requires you disable the audio passthrough and let the Xbox decode the DTS-HD to LPCM)

I’m also under the impression that DTS:X is just an added layer on top of DTS-HD that is dropped for the base audio track if the sink doesn’t support X, which if it’s DTS-HD is unsupported by the soundbar.

Fortunately, most Blu-ray media comes with Dolby TrueHD / Atmos tracks, not DTS:X.

Source Devices: Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | PC | CCU | Nintendo Switch | Wii U
Switches: Monoprice Blackbird Pro 1x4 4K60+HDR switch (18 GB/s), CSRET 1x5 switch (up to 4K30) (10 GB/s?)
post #1421 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The SK series does not support DTS:X either. Check the user manual.

In my experience, playing DTS-HD results in the soundbar yielding a “format not supported” error (at least that’s what I remember from testing the Planet Earth II UHD Blu-ray), when passing audio directly to soundbar from Xbox settings. (So it requires you disable the audio passthrough and let the Xbox decode the DTS-HD to LPCM)

I’m also under the impression that DTS:X is just an added layer on top of DTS-HD that is dropped for the base audio track if the sink doesn’t support X, which if it’s DTS-HD is unsupported by the soundbar.

Fortunately, most Blu-ray media comes with Dolby TrueHD / Atmos tracks, not DTS:X.
�� all these codecs and nonsense are confusing. I was worried about DTS:X because i read stuff here. Then I realized that there’s like 15 movies in DTS:X and i already own 8 of them on blu-ray with the Harry Potter franchise and I’m fairly certain that none of those have anything to do with DTS:X. I think that was added with the 4K versions but I could be wrong.
post #1422 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I'm having some bass drop outs at random times. Turning it off, unplugging the sub doesn't seem to help. It happens more with Youtube videos, but I'm seeing the problems sometimes with NetFlix and sometimes with Blu rays as well.

Tonight I'm going to try and re-initalize/reset the speakers but I'm curious if anyone else has had the issue.
post #1423 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What settings are you guys using? Currently I have my SJ9 in the basement hooked the ATV 4k to the HDMI in and the HDMI arc connected to the projector (4k HDR). I am using a 25 feet monoprice HDMI cable, When I select best Available audio in ATV4k, I think i only get PCM, when i put the ATV 4k to 5.1 that's when I see Dolby AV flash on the soundbar. What am I doing wrong?

PCM is lower than dolby 5.1 right?

Also, could this be due to the long cable? the cable is supporting chroma 4.4.4. Although netflix has a show with atmos, I cant test atmos because of ATV 4k doesn't support it yet.
post #1424 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
What settings are you guys using? Currently I have my SJ9 in the basement hooked the ATV 4k to the HDMI in and the HDMI arc connected to the projector (4k HDR). I am using a 25 feet monoprice HDMI cable, When I select best Available audio in ATV4k, I think i only get PCM, when i put the ATV 4k to 5.1 that's when I see Dolby AV flash on the soundbar. What am I doing wrong?

Also, could this be due to the long cable? the cable is supporting chroma 4.4.4. Although netflix has a show with atmos, I cant test atmos because of ATV 4k doesn't support it yet.

Might be the cable. I usually go with active HDMI cables once I hit around 20-25 feet to be safe.
post #1425 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

PCM is uncompressed multi channel audio. It’s what you want and the highest quality output the Apple TV offers.

post #1426 of 1987 Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Eventually you will want Dolby Digital Plus. Most streaming sources are NOT lossless or PCM. Apple converts DD to PCM, that does not make it lossless. PCM doesn't carry Atmos information and DD+ does. Apple said they will come out with an update to have DD+ but it has not appeared yet.
post #1427 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Eventually you will want Dolby Digital Plus. Most streaming sources are NOT lossless or PCM. Apple converts DD to PCM, that does not make it lossless. PCM doesn't carry Atmos information and DD+ does. Apple said they will come out with an update to have DD+ but it has not appeared yet.
that’s really beside the point, especially as the ATV does not yet support Atmos. Setting the ATV to “Best Available” audio ouput results in Linear PCM output which has the capacity to output native pcm or transcoded bitstream, depending on the media type. Compression or lackthereof depends on the original media.

PCM is absolutely what the SJ9 should display/use with the current ATV audio implementation.

yes, in the long term, if Apple chooses to implement Atmos, then this might change.

Last edited by buggyg; 03-20-2018 at 12:49 AM.
post #1428 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I agree that compressions depends on the source and NONE of the major services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu use PCM or any lossless format, they mostly use DD or DD+ for Atmos. Now when dealing with compressed formats how they get transcoded can make a difference because they try to fill in the missing bits that were thrown out during the compression process. Some devices have better algorithms for this than others. Back in the DVD days when all there was compressed formats it was usually preferred to have the receiver (there weren't sound bars) decode the compressed stream instead of the DVD player because their algorithms were usually better with a few high end players as an exception. The same could be true of the SJ9, it might transcode the DD stream better than the Apple TV. It would be a try and see which one does better. If you have sources that have multi channel PCM (RARE) then I would absolutely use PCM, otherwise use whichever one sounds better. The SJ9 might do a better job decoding DD then the Apple TV. In fairness it is probably splitting hairs.

I was just pointing out that because this is an Atmos sound bar you might change this setting in the future and it might not be the best setting now. We don't know how Apple or if Apple is going to implement it and what the menu choice will be. They said they were going to implement Atmos but that was about 8 months ago.
post #1429 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
I'm having some bass drop outs at random times. Turning it off, unplugging the sub doesn't seem to help. It happens more with Youtube videos, but I'm seeing the problems sometimes with NetFlix and sometimes with Blu rays as well.

Tonight I'm going to try and re-initalize/reset the speakers but I'm curious if anyone else has had the issue.
Couple of things to check out:

1) Do not place your router/wifi device near the SJ9, it can interfere with the mesh network.
2) Try changing the mesh network channel in the musicflow app.
post #1430 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3107 View Post
these are interesting news.
Did you made an firmware upgrade on SJ9 ?
And which firmware version is actually shown on App ?

SK9Y is the successor from SJ9 which means that features like rear speakers and DTS HD may be possible.
I didn't, it came with the SJ9 packaging but "SK9Y" ID, by the way on the subwoofer the model name is "SPK9-W", manufactured December 2017.

Haven't setup network in my new apartment yet, so I couldn't check the firmware version.

Quote:
I think the SK10Y is the successor to the SJ9.

But I would like to know the firmware version he is showing.
Will check ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3107 View Post
Off course I mean that SK10Y is the successor to the SJ9, not from. Sorry it was a mistake regarding my language skills.

I hope we will get an answer from kenofstephen
Will do.

Last edited by kenofstephen; 03-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #1431 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
This makes no sense, only the SJ9 is shown on their product page, yet there is a separate SK9Y manual. Plus, you ordered a SJ9 and got an SK9Y.

I read the SK9Y manual and it does show the SPK8-S as an optional setup.

What firmware number do you show?

I received a set of "SK9Y" inside the SJ9 packaging...so...
post #1432 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I agree that compressions depends on the source and NONE of the major services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu use PCM or any lossless format, they mostly use DD or DD+ for Atmos. Now when dealing with compressed formats how they get transcoded can make a difference because they try to fill in the missing bits that were thrown out during the compression process. Some devices have better algorithms for this than others. Back in the DVD days when all there was compressed formats it was usually preferred to have the receiver (there weren't sound bars) decode the compressed stream instead of the DVD player because their algorithms were usually better with a few high end players as an exception. The same could be true of the SJ9, it might transcode the DD stream better than the Apple TV. It would be a try and see which one does better. If you have sources that have multi channel PCM (RARE) then I would absolutely use PCM, otherwise use whichever one sounds better. The SJ9 might do a better job decoding DD then the Apple TV. In fairness it is probably splitting hairs.

I was just pointing out that because this is an Atmos sound bar you might change this setting in the future and it might not be the best setting now. We don't know how Apple or if Apple is going to implement it and what the menu choice will be. They said they were going to implement Atmos but that was about 8 months ago.
I get it, and I think we’re both on the same page, but to the original poster’s concern, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with his/her signal chain. Which device should be handling possible decoding/transcoding is a separate concern, and the fact is that the ATV does not offer 100% bitstream passthrough (which it should, I agree), so it’s a moot discussion here.

Now in terms of the future, I would assume the “Best Available” setting would likely remain the same and have some sort of “allow atmos” setting available that would passthrough atmos/DD+ bitstream on those sources only, but that’s purely speculative. Or perhaps they will offer native passthrough for everything, which would be great.

Pre-encoded multichannel PCM may be rare, but case-uses for uncompressed and/or multichannel PCM aren’t rare. Airplay sends lossless audio (2 ch stereo) to the ATV. You wouldn’t want to then compress this into DD/DTS by forcing those output options. Also, many games on *other platforms* use multichannel pcm, though to your point, I’m not aware of any on tvOS.

post #1433 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenofstephen View Post
Quote:
This makes no sense, only the SJ9 is shown on their product page, yet there is a separate SK9Y manual. Plus, you ordered a SJ9 and got an SK9Y.

I read the SK9Y manual and it does show the SPK8-S as an optional setup.

What firmware number do you show?

I received a set of "SK9Y" inside the SJ9 packaging...so...
Wow. I’m wondering if I should push for an in warranty replacement from LG for the amount of time wasted with the SJ9, poor passthrough support, money spent on music flow speakers, and the general aweful surround implementation and see if they replace with an SK9??

Or is the SK9 really a rebadged SJ9? Seems hard to believe as the subwoofer is different and so would likely need a different packaging.

post #1434 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Other than the Music Flow speakers, are there any rear surround speakers that will work with the SJ9? I know LG says the SPJ4-S aren't compatible, but I've seen some people saying they work. And with the troubles I'm reading about with music flow, I'd like to avoid that.
post #1435 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
Other than the Music Flow speakers, are there any rear surround speakers that will work with the SJ9? I know LG says the SPJ4-S aren't compatible, but I've seen some people saying they work. And with the troubles I'm reading about with music flow, I'd like to avoid that.

Nope, you have to use music flow speakers. H3s are the most compact ones, but good luck finding a reasonably priced set. H5s work but are bigger than I like. H7s are huge.

I have a set of both H3s and H5s, and can’t recommend either set.

post #1436 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Nope, you have to use music flow speakers. H3s are the most compact ones, but good luck finding a reasonably priced set. H5s work but are bigger than I like. H7s are huge.

Bummer. I guess there are no good options then. I'm thinking I'll just return the SJ9. I enjoy it, but not sure it's worth the cost when I could get something a little cheaper without Atmos but that will sound just as good.
post #1437 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Bummer. I guess there are no good options then. I'm thinking I'll just return the SJ9. I enjoy it, but not sure it's worth the cost when I could get something a little cheaper without Atmos but that will sound just as good.

What did you pay? I can’t complain for the $499 I spent, cheapest Atmos you can get. I don’t have a home theater and so anything above TV speakers is amazing.
post #1438 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Why can’t you recommend them?
post #1439 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What did you pay? I can’t complain for the $499 I spent, cheapest Atmos you can get. I don’t have a home theater and so anything above TV speakers is amazing.

It’s been extensively discussed previously in this thread, but they essentially don’t output discrete rear left and right channels, but rather a custom LG mixdown of front and rear channels.

I paid around $460 open box for my SJ9 back in June last year and picked up both the H5 and H3 sets used on eBay for <$100 per set, but I was lucky find them at that price.

I also spent another ~$300 on an hdfury vertex splitter/scaler to fix passthrough problems by splitting A/V signals and ~$90 on a switch to get all my devices connected.

Atmos is fun, but I don’t know if it’s worth the headache of this soundbar to get it, especially if you want true surround speakers. When you add up everything I bought, you can get a decent Atmos AVR and set of speakers for less, with better surround speaker support. Even at $500 for the bar alone, there are Atmos AVR+Speaker bundles that sell for around that price.

post #1440 of 1987 Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It’s been extensively discussed previously in this thread, but they essentially don’t output discrete rear left and right channels, but rather a custom LG mixdown of front and rear channels.

I paid around $460 open box for my SJ9 back in June last year and picked up both the H5 and H3 sets used on eBay for <$100 per set, but I was lucky find them at that price.

I also spent another ~$300 on an hdfury vertex splitter/scaler to fix passthrough problems by splitting A/V signals and ~$90 on a switch to get all my devices connected.

Atmos is fun, but I don’t know if it’s worth the headache of this soundbar to get it, especially if you want true surround speakers. When you add up everything I bought, you can get a decent Atmos AVR and set of speakers for less, with better surround speaker support. Even at $500 for the bar alone, there are Atmos AVR+Speaker bundles that sell for around that price.
I don’t want speakers and cables everywhere for my place. When I have a dedicated room in my new house and can install ceiling mounted speakers, it will be different. I’d rather have the soundbar and get some of the benefits than buy a half-baked Atmos system. If I’m going 7.1, it’s going to be pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page