Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #121 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
It doesn't make any sense to use a Dolby Atmos soundbar and connect all devices to the TV. 99.7% of the TVs are not able to forward the new audio formats through ARC. At least the Bluray player should connect directly to the bar.

Agree. I don't have a Bluray player yet. When I get one it'll be connected to the soundbar directly. I'm talking about everything else and normal 5.1. Streaming MKVs via the TVs Plex app, using the TVs YouTube app, the TVs Netflix and Amazon app and normal TV broadcasts. All of these output to the soundbar over the one HDMI ARC connection.
With varying degrees of success decoding the 5.1 signal correctly. I can't figure out why though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It doesn't make any sense to use a Dolby Atmos soundbar and connect all devices to the TV. 99.7% of the TVs are not able to forward the new audio formats through ARC. At least the Bluray player should connect directly to the bar.
Agreed. Very few TVs will pass Atmos via ARC. I think the new LG OLED 7 series will do it. I have my BDP7501 connected to the SJ9's input. I'll have to do my research, but I think maybe I can put a splitter behind that input so I can connect my PS4 and Plex server as well...

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #123 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
Agreed. Very few TVs will pass Atmos via ARC. I think the new LG OLED 7 series will do it. I have my BDP7501 connected to the SJ9's input. I'll have to do my research, but I think maybe I can put a splitter behind that input so I can connect my PS4 and Plex server as well...
So, I picked up a copy of Star Trek Beyond to try out the ATMOS via my PS4 Pro. I connected the PS4 to the Soundbar via HDMI and the soundbar to my LG B6 via HDMI/ARC. First thing I noticed is that HDR isn't getting passed through the soundbar and the ATMOS track is silent.
I've set the PS4 audio output to be Bitstream (Dolby) and I've set the output on the BluRay to be Bitstream too and silence!

Any guidence here folks? Why isn't HDR getting passed through to the TV from somethinng like Uncharted 4? Why can't I hear the ATMOS track?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
So, I picked up a copy of Star Trek Beyond to try out the ATMOS via my PS4 Pro. I connected the PS4 to the Soundbar via HDMI and the soundbar to my LG B6 via HDMI/ARC. First thing I noticed is that HDR isn't getting passed through the soundbar and the ATMOS track is silent.
I've set the PS4 audio output to be Bitstream (Dolby) and I've set the output on the BluRay to be Bitstream too and silence!

Any guidence here folks? Why isn't HDR getting passed through to the TV from somethinng like Uncharted 4? Why can't I hear the ATMOS track?

Thanks!
Two things to check:
1. Are you sure your PS4 Pro is set to display HDR properly? I only have the regular PS4 and I had to set HDR to [Automatic]. If this is already set properly, it might be your HDMI cables.
2. As for the Atmos track, since your PS4 Pro is on the input to the soundbar, you have to set the SJ9 to HDMI IN on the remote. If it's still on ARC, you're passing the audio to the TV where it's being downgraded to DD.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #125 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Two things to check:
1. Are you sure your PS4 Pro is set to display HDR properly? I only have the regular PS4 and I had to set HDR to [Automatic]. If this is already set properly, it might be your HDMI cables.
2. As for the Atmos track, since your PS4 Pro is on the input to the soundbar, you have to set the SJ9 to HDMI IN on the remote. If it's still on ARC, you're passing the audio to the TV where it's being downgraded to DD.
The HDR on my PS4 Pro was working perfeclty when I had the PS4 connected directly to the TV. Maybe the HDMI cable from the soundbar to the TV can't carry the HDR signal? It is a high speed HDMI cable though.

The soundbar is set to HDMI in. When I change the audio channel from English (ATMOS) to one of the other 5.1 tracks (German, French etc.) I get audio. I'm only getting PCM though according to the soundbar where I should be getting Dolby Audio no?

Infact I get white noise when I try to play the ATMOS track. ARGG!

Last edited by ShiroEd; 04-23-2017 at 06:47 AM.
post #126 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
The HDR on my PS4 Pro was working perfeclty when I had the PS4 connected directly to the TV. Maybe the HDMI cable from the soundbar to the TV can't carry the HDR signal? It is a high speed HDMI cable though.

The soundbar is set to HDMI in. When I change the audio channel from English (ATMOS) to one of the other 5.1 tracks (German, French etc.) I get audio. I'm only getting PCM though according to the soundbar where I should be getting Dolby Audio no?

Infact I get white noise when I try to play the ATMOS track. ARGG!
Yeah, the cable from the soundbar to the TV might be an issue. I found something on another forum that might work for you: "i just found out that, when we play the movie with our PS4, press OPTION BUTTON while we playing our movie, then choose SETTING > AUDIO FORMAT > Bitstream(Direct) [instead of Linear PCM!]
that's all we need to do!"

post #127 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the cable from the soundbar to the TV might be an issue. I found something on another forum that might work for you: "i just found out that, when we play the movie with our PS4, press OPTION BUTTON while we playing our movie, then choose SETTING > AUDIO FORMAT > Bitstream(Direct) [instead of Linear PCM!]
that's all we need to do!"
That's exactly what I've done but no joy!
When I toggle between the two available options on the PS4 of PCM and Bitstream (Direct) I get either noise with ATMOS or really muffled dialogue with PCM.

Why can't it just WORK?!?
post #128 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I've done but no joy!
When I toggle between the two available options on the PS4 of PCM and Bitstream (Direct) I get either noise with ATMOS or really muffled dialogue with PCM.

Why can't it just WORK?!?
Maybe it is that cable causing all the issues. Can you swap out?

post #129 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Will try that now. If I can find another one! Bloody cables!
post #130 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Just tried a different HDMI cable. Smae issue.
No ATMOS (Just noise) and no HDR passthrough from the PS4 Pro. I wish I had another BluRay player to try out and maybe narrow down the issue to the PS4. If that is in fact the case.

If anyone has a PS4 plugged into their SJ9 can they confirm HDR passthrough at least?
post #131 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Just tried a different HDMI cable. Smae issue.
No ATMOS (Just noise) and no HDR passthrough from the PS4 Pro. I wish I had another BluRay player to try out and maybe narrow down the issue to the PS4. If that is in fact the case.

If anyone has a PS4 plugged into their SJ9 can they confirm HDR passthrough at least?
HDR Passthrough is fixed. My Bad! I just needed to enable Deep Color for the other HDMI input on the TV. Still getting noise with the ATMOS track.

Can anyone with a PS4 confirm this is possible and not a bug with the PS4?
post #132 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
FYI. ARC is not capable of passing the lossless formats (Dolby True HD/ DTS Master Audio) used for Atmos/ DTS:X, the only way to get Atmos through ARC is if the source uses Dolby Digital+ which is a compressed format and not lossless. So if you are trying to play a file through your TVs apps and using ARC you will not get Atmos material unless the file it encoded in DD+. This is a limitation of ARC and not a limitation of the TV or sound bar, so no matter which TV or sound bar you have you will not get the lossless formats through ARC. If you are trying to play a file through flex and get the lossless formats you need a device connected to the sound bar's HDMI input and not ARC.
post #133 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
FYI. ARC is not capable of passing the lossless formats (Dolby True HD/ DTS Master Audio) used for Atmos/ DTS:X, the only way to get Atmos through ARC is if the source uses Dolby Digital+ which is a compressed format and not lossless. So if you are trying to play a file through your TVs apps and using ARC you will not get Atmos material unless the file it encoded in DD+. This is a limitation of ARC and not a limitation of the TV or sound bar, so no matter which TV or sound bar you have you will not get the lossless formats through ARC. If you are trying to play a file through flex and get the lossless formats you need a device connected to the sound bar's HDMI input and not ARC.
Yep. Understood. Thanks for the really clear explaination. In this case this is not what I'm trying to do though. It's normal 5.1 via ARC and then the soundbar handing the rear signals off to the LG H3s thats a bit of an issue.
post #134 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The LG 2017 TVs use a nonstandard way to send ATMOS via ARC. That is why it only works with LG devices in both ends.
post #135 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
HDR Passthrough is fixed. My Bad! I just needed to enable Deep Color for the other HDMI input on the TV. Still getting noise with the ATMOS track.

Can anyone with a PS4 confirm this is possible and not a bug with the PS4?
Found this on the Dolby website: http://developer.dolby.com/News/Enab...aystation.aspx

Seems like you've done most of these steps except for setting primary output port to HDMI out.

post #136 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Found this on the Dolby website: http://developer.dolby.com/News/Enab...aystation.aspx

Seems like you've done most of these steps except for setting primary output port to HDMI out.
Yep. Did that too! LOL! Thanks for helping me chase this down dude!

Update on my ATMOS adventures:
Updated my Xbox One which can now output an uncompressed bitstream signal and hooked it up to my soundbar using the same HDMI I was using with the PS4 Pro. Dolby ATMOS success! The Xbox One outputs an ATMOS signal perfectly. At least in a way the SJ9 likes. This points to the problem being firmly on the PS4 Pro side. Further investigation required. OYE! SONY! Sort it!

If anyone has a PS4 and wants to see if it works or not that'd be really useful to chase this down.
post #137 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yep. Did that too! LOL! Thanks for helping me chase this down dude!

Update on my ATMOS adventures:
Updated my Xbox One which can now output an uncompressed bitstream signal and hooked it up to my soundbar using the same HDMI I was using with the PS4 Pro. Dolby ATMOS success! The Xbox One outputs an ATMOS signal perfectly. At least in a way the SJ9 likes. This points to the problem being firmly on the PS4 Pro side. Further investigation required. OYE! SONY! Sort it!

If anyone has a PS4 and wants to see if it works or not that'd be really useful to chase this down.
You have some bad tech luck or a gremlin!
I had no issues getting Beyond to play on my PS4 with Atmos changing the same settings you did. Proof attached. Also, I'm using certified premium high speed hdmi cables from monoprice for both sets of connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beyond_atmos.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	2098513  

post #138 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You have some bad tech luck or a gremlin!
I had no issues getting Beyond to play on my PS4 with Atmos changing the same settings you did. Proof attached. Also, I'm using certified premium high speed hdmi cables from monoprice for both sets of connections.
Well THATS just strange. Great result for you mate.
BUT it leaves me scratching my head.
I've set the PS4 to output Bitstream (Dolby) > Set the Audio Format to Bitstream (Direct) in the PS4s BluRay player = The menu has perfect audio with the soundbar displaying "Dolby Audio" BUT as soon as I click play I get NOISE! and the soundbar displays PCM.

SO bloody frustrating.
post #139 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep. Understood. Thanks for the really clear explaination. In this case this is not what I'm trying to do though. It's normal 5.1 via ARC and then the soundbar handing the rear signals off to the LG H3s thats a bit of an issue.
I misunderstood. Anyway your TV might not be capable of 5.1 through ARC, some TVs can and others can't. This has to do with how the TV identifies itself to the source. Every device in the HDMI chain has to identify itself with the source device and state its capabilities. Some TVs circuitry only allows stereo and that is what it identifies itself as to the source. The source will only send what the TV and other devices are capable. If the TV only requests a stereo signal and that is all that is sent by the source then ARC and optical will only get passed along stereo signal regardless what the source device is set at in its menus. This could be what is happening in your the situation.

Here is an older test of various models. It is not 100% accurate as they make it sound like the TV gets a 5.1 signal when in reality it doesn't if it isn't requested. But for the lay person it doesn't matter the reason.
https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tes...o-a-sound-bar/

Ps. when the devices connect to the sound bar (or receiver) first the sound bar identifies itself to the source. with ARC the TV is the one to identify itself and then pass whatever it gets to ARC or optical.
post #140 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I misunderstood. Anyway your TV might not be capable of 5.1 through ARC, some TVs can and others can't. This has to do with how the TV identifies itself to the source. Every device in the HDMI chain has to identify itself with the source device and state its capabilities. Some TVs circuitry only allows stereo and that is what it identifies itself as to the source. The source will only send what the TV and other devices are capable. If the TV only requests a stereo signal and that is all that is sent by the source then ARC and optical will only get passed along stereo signal regardless what the source device is set at in its menus. This could be what is happening in your the situation.

Here is an older test of various models. It is not 100% accurate as they make it sound like the TV gets a 5.1 signal when in reality it doesn't if it isn't requested. But for the lay person it doesn't matter the reason.
https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tes...o-a-sound-bar/

Ps. when the devices connect to the sound bar (or receiver) first the sound bar identifies itself to the source. with ARC the TV is the one to identify itself and then pass whatever it gets to ARC or optical.
The TV does send a 5.1 signal. It worked perfectly with my previous 5.1 speaker setup. On this soundbar I get discreet Right, Center and Left channels that are totally seperate and discreet from the signal sent to the rears. This is not a simple stereo signal. The issue I have in this instance is that it seems that the soundbar, via LG's Music Flow software, isn't passing along the rear signals correctly to my LG H3s.

Thanks for that link. Below is an updated list that shows my TV LG B6 can pass a 5.1 signal.
http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs...io-passthrough
Staxtis likes this.
post #141 of 1986 Old 04-23-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the updated link. The company I work for does mostly projector systems but when we do TVs it is usually Sony. I do run into a lot of Samsung and Vizio in the field but not that many LGs.
post #142 of 1986 Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So no one else having problems with lip sync? My tv is connected to the soundbar over hdmi ARC.

When watching netflix through the app on my sony android tv, I can notice a small delay in.the sound, so the image is just a bit faster, really annoying. The same goes for my cable box for regular tv which is connected to my hdmi1. I cannot fix this by av sync button because the sound is too slow, not too fast...

My plex, which is running on an Raspberry pi and is connected directly to the soundbar does not have this problem so it definitely seems to be a problem with hdmi ARC. My previous soundbar did not have this problem and was connected in.the exact same way.
post #143 of 1986 Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giejay View Post
So no one else having problems with lip sync? My tv is connected to the soundbar over hdmi ARC.

When watching netflix through the app on my sony android tv, I can notice a small delay in.the sound, so the image is just a bit faster, really annoying. The same goes for my cable box for regular tv which is connected to my hdmi1. I cannot fix this by av sync button because the sound is too slow, not too fast...

My plex, which is running on an Raspberry pi and is connected directly to the soundbar does not have this problem so it definitely seems to be a problem with hdmi ARC. My previous soundbar did not have this problem and was connected in.the exact same way.
I personally don't have any sync issues over ARC. I ran sync test videos on youtube and made sure the sound traveled through ARC and didn't see/hear any sync issues.

post #144 of 1986 Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just got a 2016 LG TV two months ago. DirecTV and Xbox One connected to the TV. Most of the movies I watch now seem to be on some streaming app, VUDO, or Amazon.

It sounds like there is no point in getting the LG SJ9 sound bar (or any Atmos sound bar) because I won't be able to get the Atmos effect right?
post #145 of 1986 Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaloth View Post
I just got a 2016 LG TV two months ago. DirecTV and Xbox One connected to the TV. Most of the movies I watch now seem to be on some streaming app, VUDO, or Amazon.

It sounds like there is no point in getting the LG SJ9 sound bar (or any Atmos sound bar) because I won't be able to get the Atmos effect right?
I'd say it's still worth it for the significant improvement over the built-in speakers. I have a 65B6 and until I got the SJ9, I thought the internal speakers were the best I ever heard on any TV. The sonic improvement cannot be ignored, Atmos or not.

post #146 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That's right about not getting Atmos.
If you only want to improve the sound when watching TV you can dramatically do that for a LOT less money. Any soundbar with a subwoofer will hugely increase the sound experience over your TVs internal speaker. A 2.1 soundbar can be had for ~$100 that would eclipse your TVs sound. And if you want 5.1 you can get a soundbar with rear speakers for ~$200.
The reasons some soundbars like this Sj9 are so expensive are their list of connectivity options, the quality of the signal processing and speakers and the audio format support.
But, the practical difference (sound wise) between what a $200 5.1 soundbar will get you over your TV speakers is FAR greater than the difference between that $200 5.1 soundbar and a $1000 soundbar. If that makes sense?
Others may not agree...
bgul and Kerwin515 like this.
post #147 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Alternatively you could connect your DirectTV or Xbox directly to the Sj9 via HDMI and you'll get Atmos that way. The Sj9 will pass through the video signal to the TV.
post #148 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
That's right about not getting Atmos.
If you only want to improve the sound when watching TV you can dramatically do that for a LOT less money. Any soundbar with a subwoofer will hugely increase the sound experience over your TVs internal speaker. A 2.1 soundbar can be had for ~$100 that would eclipse your TVs sound. And if you want 5.1 you can get a soundbar with rear speakers for ~$200.
The reasons some soundbars like this Sj9 are so expensive are their list of connectivity options, the quality of the signal processing and speakers and the audio format support.
But, the practical difference (sound wise) between what a $200 5.1 soundbar will get you over your TV speakers is FAR greater than the difference between that $200 5.1 soundbar and a $1000 soundbar. If that makes sense?
Others may not agree...
Well said!

post #149 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I own a 2016 B6 Oled and I was asking myself how good is the ARC connection between soundbar abd TV. Is the power on of the soundbar instant with the nagic remote. I want to replace my Sony HT-XT3 soundplate as the ARC implementation is quite buggy. Power on is also very slow. Thanks for your advices.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk
post #150 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HI, I am new here so hi all.. I want to buy the lg sj9 sound bar and have been waiting for all the reviews to read before I go rushing out to get one..
The problem is that to my surprise there are no reviews to read!! Why is this? I would have thought by now a major reviewer would have got hold of one and fully tested it...
I am still waiting...
So I found your thread ??..

TV speakers are useless so
I have had 2 sound bars, not high end but OK.. So I know the difference..
I just would like to ask the guys that own one what they think of it?

Does it blow your socks off?

Is it powerful?

Does it distort at high volume or Chrystal clear?

Forget about the atoms part I just mean as a sound bar?

Also have you had a sound bar before so you are comparing to your previous bar and not TV speakers?

and lastly one of you connected rear speakers to it... did that successfully work in the end and did you manage to get the volume out of them?

The reason for all the questions is that I am seriously considering this sound bar or do I go for the Sony?? A bit more pricey I know... And also another sound bar that has no professional reviews yet either!!!!
Can't understand that either!!

Many thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page