Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1501 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
You don’t have Monoprice? They’re like $30. I have my ARC always plugged in and than I have my Xbox and PS4, I just swap them.
Can you give me a link to this monoprice switch and it does pass hdr/dolby vision/atmos etc? i only know about smartoo switch that's cheap but they don't sell it here. Monoprice they might, just need a link to it so i can check.

Last edited by OwnerOfLg; 03-31-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
They would still sound better for movies or TV you just give up surround/atmos effects. I have 3 TV systems in my home and I could of used a sound bar on any one of them but instead they are all 2.0 or 2.1 systems because they sound better. I do have a 5.2 and 7.2.4 projector systems in my home as well so for material i want the full effect on I watch on one of those systems. There are just certain things sound bars don't do as well as regular decent sized speakers unless they were to make them much larger. It is personal choice whether one wants the better sound or surround/atmos effects in there space. Maybe if I didn't have other systems in my home I might opt for a sound bar system if a traditional surround/atmos system was not an option.
post #1503 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:
You don’t have Monoprice? They’re like $30. I have my ARC always plugged in and than I have my Xbox and PS4, I just swap them.
Can you give me a link to this monoprice switch and it does pass hdr/dolby vision/atmos etc? i only know about smartoo switch that's cheap but they don't sell it here. Monoprice they might, just need a link to it so i can check.
My bad, I misspoke. They’re like $65, I looked but apparently I looked wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Re: LG Music Flows as rears for SJ9.

If in Movie or Atmos mode, you will get a mix of the rear channels. In other modes, they will put as separate discrete channels.

I also recommend connecting each speaker via LAN, otherwise they are very unstable.

Another con is there is no remote button to disconnect the rears for stereo content. You will have to use a phone/tablet to disconnect/reconnect.
post #1505 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Would have been nice if they offered rear surround. One thing no one talks about I guess is that the 4K passthrought hdr is great. I tried another soundbar with 4K hdr passthrough but Apple TV 4K on this soundbar look great.

I am also interested in a switch, so it’s the mono price switch? Is it available on amazon and direct links. Does it do 4khdr and audio pass through?
post #1506 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post

If in Movie or Atmos mode, you will get a mix of the rear channels. In other modes, they will put as separate discrete channels.

I also recommend connecting each speaker via LAN, otherwise they are very unstable.

Another con is there is no remote button to disconnect the rears for stereo content. You will have to use a phone/tablet to disconnect/reconnect.
So they do actually work as rears? Interesting. I might try this, I’ll keep the speakers for other rooms if it isn’t perfect.
post #1507 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Would have been nice if they offered rear surround. One thing no one talks about I guess is that the 4K passthrought hdr is great. I tried another soundbar with 4K hdr passthrough but Apple TV 4K on this soundbar look great.

I am also interested in a switch, so it’s the mono price switch? Is it available on amazon and direct links. Does it do 4khdr and audio pass through?
Monoprice is a website, I buy their stuff directly from them usually. But some of it is on amazon.

It’s the Monoprice blackbird line you’re looking for. They’re 4K, HDR, HDCP 2.2

They’re 1X2 to 1X8 or more. They go from $60 to over $800.

But Monoprice is legit. They offer incredibly priced products at great prices. I only buy their HDMI cables.
post #1508 of 1987 Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

had to do some searching.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15262

HDMI switcher is what you guys need. 1 output, 3 inputs. Reviews say HDR, HDCP 2.2, 18GBPS and HDMI 2.0
OwnerOfLg likes this.

Last edited by 3Dhereicome; 03-31-2018 at 08:17 PM.
post #1509 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 AM

Then again, i wonder if it makes any difference in audio to plug ps 4 pro directly to tv and sound would work with arc, and for example 4k player with atmos sound directly to soundbar. Ps 4 doesn't do atmos in games so i think audio would be about the same.
post #1510 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

So they do actually work as rears? Interesting. I might try this, I’ll keep the speakers for other rooms if it isn’t perfect.
Yes, they work.

Just be aware that with the two best modes of the bar, Movie and Atmos, the rears are playing together as a mix of the left surround and right surround channels.

I guess you would call it 4.1 or 4.1.2 in those sound modes. You will get 5.1 in other modes, though.

I also could not get the rears to work wirelessly with constant stability. They are now connected via LAN to my router and they are rock solid stable.
post #1511 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Repost of my H7 test as rear surround

Quote:
Since everyone keeps asking (me included) before I found out can you post it again so everyone knows? That would be helpful thanks.
Tried H7's as rear surround - awful

Well I tried connecting a pair of H7's to the SJ9 as rear surround and it is in my opinion not useable. The H7's can be configured in the SJ9's mesh network as rear surrounds left and right, but the implementation if awful. Here were the issues, some I already knew, but until I tried it, I did not know how bad this was going to be.

1. The rear channels are not discreet in the best modes (ATMOS & MOVIE), and what the SJ9 decides to sent to them varies from nothing, to very loud to just bad (very bad) simulated rear surround depending on input source and audio format.
2. Often the rear sound is delayed from the front sound, so sounds like an echo chamber.
3. You can not control volume level or mute on the rear speakers with your remote control, only manually on each speaker.
4. Mesh network dropouts (others have said use direct connect ethernet LAN connection instead)

The only good thing is that the H7 by itself sounds pretty good if you use it as a standalone bluetooth speaker. I returned mine.
post #1512 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, they work.

Just be aware that with the two best modes of the bar, Movie and Atmos, the rears are playing together as a mix of the left surround and right surround channels.

I guess you would call it 4.1 or 4.1.2 in those sound modes. You will get 5.1 in other modes, though.

I also could not get the rears to work wirelessly with constant stability. They are now connected via LAN to my router and they are rock solid stable.
Weird it does that in Atmos and movie mode. Either way, it might be worth it since they’re really cheap anymore! LAN is no issue with me either so that works.
post #1513 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Quote:
Since everyone keeps asking (me included) before I found out can you post it again so everyone knows? That would be helpful thanks.

Well I tried connecting a pair of H7's to the SJ9 as rear surround and it is in my opinion not useable. The H7's can be configured in the SJ9's mesh network as rear surrounds left and right, but the implementation if awful. Here were the issues, some I already knew, but until I tried it, I did not know how bad this was going to be.

1. The rear channels are not discreet in the best modes (ATMOS & MOVIE), and what the SJ9 decides to sent to them varies from nothing, to very loud to just bad (very bad) simulated rear surround depending on input source and audio format.
2. Often the rear sound is delayed from the front sound, so sounds like an echo chamber.
3. You can not control volume level or mute on the rear speakers with your remote control, only manually on each speaker.
4. Mesh network dropouts (others have said use direct connect ethernet LAN connection instead)

The only good thing is that the H7 by itself sounds pretty good if you use it as a standalone bluetooth speaker. I returned mine.
How annoying. LG could have made it easy to use and really dropped the ball. Then they make new ones and if they had customer loyalty they would have found a way to make them backwards compatible. But nope.
post #1514 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
How annoying. LG could have made it easy to use and really dropped the ball. Then they make new ones and if they had customer loyalty they would have found a way to make them backwards compatible. But nope.
Planned obsolescence of 1 year so you will buy the SK9Y or SK10Y to get real rears, buggers.
post #1515 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Planned obsolescence of 1 year so you will buy the SK9Y or SK10Y to get real rears, buggers.
That’s Apple like backwards compatibility.
post #1516 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Re: 3.

Not true in my experience. The volume of the rears are all in sync with the soundbar. All volume changes from my remotes keep them in sync, too.

Re: other issues.

Definitely sounds like stability issues.

Yes...without a good Mesh Network or LAN connection, they are junk. I bought two cheap 25 foot LAN cables (Amazon) and they are now stable.

And yes...you don't want the rears connected with stereo content. Echo chamber madness! One has to use the Music Flow app to disconnect/reconnect em. Can't use a remote, which is inconvenient.
post #1517 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Re: 3.

Not true in my experience. The volume of the rears are all in sync with the soundbar. All volume changes from my remotes keep them in sync, too.

Re: other issues.

Definitely sounds like stability issues.

Yes...without a good Mesh Network or LAN connection, they are junk. I bought two cheap 25 foot LAN cables (Amazon) and they are now stable.

And yes...you don't want the rears connected with stereo content. Echo chamber madness! One has to use the Music Flow app to disconnect/reconnect em. Can't use a remote, which is inconvenient.
Varying results for all. Weird.
post #1518 of 1987 Old 04-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, they work.

Weird it does that in Atmos and movie mode. Either way, it might be worth it since they’re really cheap anymore! LAN is no issue with me either so that works.
Re: Weird it does that in Atmos and movie mode.

The LG MF rears are actually mocking the same exact behavior the soundbar outputs from the rear channels on the bar itself, because...

without Music Flow rears connected, the soundbar's rear channels are a rear channel mix in Movie and Atmos modes.
post #1519 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can someone explain the 4k passthrough and HDR/Dolby vision in this chain.

4k HDR projector connected to HDMI out of the soundbar and the apple TV4k connected to the HDMI in of the soundbar. ATV 4k set to 4k SDR and match content on, frame rate off.

I do find the netflix shows with DV to look amazing, who is processing what and what is being passed on?

I also have another soundbar and not sure if I am seeing things but for some reason when connected to the sj9, the pq looks a tad bit brighter and sharper. I may be imagining it, but still wanted to confirm, if different soundbars or equipment process pq differently or everything is being processed by my projector and the soundbars are just passing it through.
post #1520 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
So you're using an HDMI switch or you're manually switching the Xbox & PS4? If you have a switch, what's the experience like? Does HDMI-CEC still work seamlessly where you just turn on the console and the TV switches? What about manual switching? You have to use the remote that came with the HDMI switch right?
post #1521 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfirz View Post
Quote:
So you're using an HDMI switch or you're manually switching the Xbox & PS4? If you have a switch, what's the experience like? Does HDMI-CEC still work seamlessly where you just turn on the console and the TV switches? What about manual switching? You have to use the remote that came with the HDMI switch right?
I have the Sewell switch, myself. Since it does not auto-switch like HDMI CEC, I don't use it. Pain in the @ - 🍩.

If there is such a thing as a switch that behaves as smooth as HDMI-CEC and passes DV, I want to know about it.
post #1522 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
HDMI and "pass through". In a situation like this where you have a source device connected to the sound bar and then the sound bar connected to the TV the sound bar should process the audio and repeat the video signal to the TV. The term pass through is not accurate it should really be repeat. With HDMI there is a protocol that needs to be followed. Every device in the HDMI chain of components needs to identify itself with the source device and tell the source what it is capable of doing. So let's use an Ultra Blu-ray player as an example for the source.

Blu-ray player talks to TV and TV says I can process 4K HDR and DV.
Blu-ray player talks to sound bar and sound bar answers I can process the various audio formats (Dolby Atmos, etc.) and I can repeat 4k HDR.
Blu-ray player sends 4k HDR and Dolby Atmos. Since the sound bar didn't say it can handle DV it does not send DV.

There can be a number of reasons the sound bar will not repeat DV and none of it has to do with licensing. It only needs DV licensing if it is processing the signal not repeating it. Here are the main two reasons.

1. The sound bar's HDMI chips do not have the bandwidth to do DV. It need 18gbs and it might only have 10 or 13 bs HDMI chips.
2. The sound bar has the bandwidth but it does not know what DV is. This depending on the chips may or may not be able to be corrected with a firmware update.

Here is the same devices but set up differently. Now the Blu-ray player connects to the TV and the sound bar connects to the TV using ARC.
Blu-ray player talks to TV and TV say I can process 4k HDR and DV
Blu-ray player asks TV what audio formats it can accept. TV answers DD, DD+, DTS Hmmm. Why is the TV answering this?
Because the TV has to repeat it to ARC or optical or for the TV to be able to repeat it it needs to be able to process it using tis own TV speakers. So even if the TV can process Dolby True HD, ARC is not capable of carrying those formats and that is all that can be repeated.
So in this situation you get the 4K DV picture but not the Dolby True HD (Atmos) to the soud bar. You can get the compressed DD+ Atmos through ARC but not the lossless version.

So pick your poison - DV or lossless Atmos sound. This might be able to be corrected with a firmware update to the sound bar to let it repeat DV if it is capable.
post #1523 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfirz View Post
Quote:
For the first few days I just swapped the HDMI cable. But since the PS4 isn’t truly passing 4K just HDR and the audio isn’t anything truly special I’m just sending the audio to the TV and letting the ARC pass it back. Doesn’t sound any different to me so I just leave the Xbox for the Atmos.
post #1524 of 1987 Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just picked up the SJ9 sound bar. Love it so far, other than the fact I can’t get the front display to turn off. Is this something that all SJ9s do? Thanks in advance.
post #1525 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzy25 View Post
Just picked up the SJ9 sound bar. Love it so far, other than the fact I can’t get the front display to turn off. Is this something that all SJ9s do? Thanks in advance.
What do you mean? It’s always on when the speaker is on and it’s just a red light when it’s off.
post #1526 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? It’s always on when the speaker is on and it’s just a red light when it’s off.

I uploaded a picture. But no matter what it displays the input I am in, whether it be ARC or HDMI in. I watched 20 mins of John Wick 2 last night, and it stayed on the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1527 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzy25 View Post

I uploaded a picture. But no matter what it displays the input I am in, whether it be ARC or HDMI in. I watched 20 mins of John Wick 2 last night, and it stayed on the whole time.

Sadly, you can‘t do anyhting. Display is always on as long as the Soundbar is on.
post #1528 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
For the first few days I just swapped the HDMI cable. But since the PS4 isn’t truly passing 4K just HDR and the audio isn’t anything truly special I’m just sending the audio to the TV and letting the ARC pass it back. Doesn’t sound any different to me so I just leave the Xbox for the Atmos.
I plug ps4 pro directly to soundbar for one reason...i like dolby atmos in movies, i watch blu-rays with ps4.
post #1529 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:
I plug ps4 pro directly to soundbar for one reason...i like dolby atmos in movies, i watch blu-rays with ps4.
I lied, it does sound different, I’m going to get a switch or just keep changing it. But the PS4 doesn’t have a 4K blu-ray player so unfortunately with Atmos going UHD exclusive it won’t work going forward. Which is lame.
post #1530 of 1987 Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utility73 View Post
Sadly, you can‘t do anyhting. Display is always on as long as the Soundbar is on.

Well that stinks. Seems like it would only make sense for this to turn off when watching tv or a movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page