Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1591 of 1987 Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherctba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
I’m sorry you have to clarify what you said here, you lost me.

In one sentence you say it’s not DTS X and the next you say it’s DTS X.
Sorry for my poor English , I say SJ9 working with DTS but not have DTS X, after the update DTS X is enabled but to listen DTS X the sound effect "movie" must be enable.
That’s great news! I’ll fiddle with it later today. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1987 Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Official LG SJ9 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherctba View Post
Sorry for my poor English , I say SJ9 working with DTS but not have DTS X, after the update DTS X is enabled but to listen DTS X the sound effect "movie" must be enable.

Does a press on the « info » button shows « DTS X »
I have upgraded and only see « DTS » even in movie mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1593 of 1987 Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
Does a press on the « info » button shows « DTS X »
I have upgraded and only see « DTS » even in movie mode.

Nothing change into display you only see DTS but if you try a movie with DTS X sound you will hear the diference. I use Blu-Ray discs of Gods of Egypt, Atomic Blonde and Despicable Me 3 (all DTS X encoded ) after I try only DTS normal movie and what a diference... Try in Google search for DTS X examples and you find Demo trailers find this one DTS:X Out of the Box (Long) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1987 Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

LG has no info on what these updates include. That is not only weird, it’s stupid.
post #1595 of 1987 Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
LG has no info on what these updates include. That is not only weird, it’s stupid.
OK, I rattled LG Support this morning and as usual they said they do not have the information available. They did say they would email it to me once it is available. So we will see, but will be real surprised if I ever get anything from them.
post #1596 of 1987 Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Quote:
OK, I rattled LG Support this morning and as usual they said they do not have the information available. They did say they would email it to me once it is available. So we will see, but will be real surprised if I ever get anything from them.
I talked to them last night and the guy said the only update was for the windows musicflow app. So clearly nobody knows
post #1597 of 1987 Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
I checked LG's Korea support site this morning and they do not have any firmware release notes there either, was hoping they did as I have gotten them before for the LG OLED tv firmware updates. No luck for SJ9.
post #1598 of 1987 Old 04-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anyone know if the new SK9Y is the same as the sj9? Any differences?
post #1599 of 1987 Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Anyone know if the new SK9Y is the same as the sj9? Any differences?
As far as specs go it’s a repackaged SJ9. But, it does have the ability to adjust only the height channels, which is welcome. It can also add rear speakers as a package. If you don’t have a SJ9, I’d get the new one.
post #1600 of 1987 Old 04-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
As far as specs go it’s a repackaged SJ9. But, it does have the ability to adjust only the height channels, which is welcome. It can also add rear speakers as a package. If you don’t have a SJ9, I’d get the new one.
Surprising you couldn't adjust heights on the sj9. I'm assuming no dtsx will ever come.
post #1601 of 1987 Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Quote:
Surprising you couldn't adjust heights on the sj9. I'm assuming no dtsx will ever come.
I’m not counting on it. I wish I could adjust just the height channels but it still sounds awfully good without it. Gears of war with rain and choppers is pretty damn cool.
post #1602 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I thought the ability to adjust height channels is only in sk10y not in sk9y

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #1603 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I picked up an SJ9 open box (no blemishes or anything) so I was super excited since I got it for less than $600. Sounded exceptional in the stores we listened to. Got it home and put on some EDM music, cranked the sub setting to 6, treble at 0 and bass at 3 and the bar itself sounds great but the sub for how large it is kind of underwhelmed my wife and I! We have a Logitech Z623 and the bass on that thing blows the SJ9 out of the water. Not sure what could be up. But for the minimal ATMOS content we will probably have, considering trying something else. Am I doing something wrong or does she need to be "broken in"?

TIA

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
post #1604 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theike View Post
I picked up an SJ9 open box (no blemishes or anything) so I was super excited since I got it for less than $600. Sounded exceptional in the stores we listened to. Got it home and put on some EDM music, cranked the sub setting to 6, treble at 0 and bass at 3 and the bar itself sounds great but the sub for how large it is kind of underwhelmed my wife and I! We have a Logitech Z623 and the bass on that thing blows the SJ9 out of the water. Not sure what could be up. But for the minimal ATMOS content we will probably have, considering trying something else. Am I doing something wrong or does she need to be "broken in"?

TIA
Use bass blast. I actually use that for all my music playing, I like how it sounds.
post #1605 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

TIA

It seems to me than the soundbar only awoke itself fully when you play atmos content. It does not seem to use all its speakers and the subwoofer the same way for music (or any non atmos source)

Maybe someone here knows how we could force it to do so?

Does that make sense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1606 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
I thought the ability to adjust height channels is only in sk10y not in sk9y
This is a great point, I might be wrong and I don’t why I assumed or said that previously, does anyone know for sure? I can’t find anything.
post #1607 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosara2017 View Post
Quote:

TIA

It seems to me than the soundbar only awoke itself fully when you play atmos content. It does not seem to use all its speakers and the subwoofer the same way for music (or any non atmos source)

Does that make sense

The volume of the Soundbar sounds low to me (for movies/TV) when I wake it up each session.

What I do is play an Atmos track real quick on Vudu (Any Atmos movie/HDMI In/Chromecast Ultra/) and I have much higher volume the rest of my TV session.

Note: my TV does not do DD+ over ARC.
post #1608 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hi everyone, debating getting this.

If I connect a 4K Blu Ray player directly to the SJ9, then SJ9 to LG B7, will I get the best lossless Atmos experience?
post #1609 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
Hi everyone, debating getting this.

If I connect a 4K Blu Ray player directly to the SJ9, then SJ9 to LG B7, will I get the best lossless Atmos experience?
Thats the way to go with every soundsystem. U wont get true atmos through arc from TV back to the soundbar.
post #1610 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post
Thats the way to go with every soundsystem. U wont get true atmos through arc from TV back to the soundbar.

Thx. Sucks there’s only 1 HDMI input. That’s a critical blocker for me. I have multiple devices I want to connect

post #1611 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post

Thx. Sucks there’s only 1 HDMI input. That’s a critical blocker for me. I have multiple devices I want to connect [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

There are HDR/DV HDMI splitters on monoprice for like $40
post #1612 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

TIA

Does that make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Quote:
Quote:

TIA

Does that make sense

The volume of the Soundbar sounds low to me (for movies/TV) when I wake it up each session.

What I do is play an Atmos track real quick on Vudu (Any Atmos movie/HDMI In/Chromecast Ultra/) and I have much higher volume the rest of my TV session.

Note: my TV does not do DD+ over ARC.
That makes no sense. The speaker doesn’t need to be woke up after it was off, at least mine doesn’t and thats enough to convince me that’s an anomaly and isn’t normal. Bass blast, Atmos and movie use all 5.1 speakers the other presets do not. Movie seems to have the highest height effects volume and bass blast seems to be slightly lower. You can’t force the bar to do anything else besides what it’s programmed to do though: I use movie for everything and bass blast for music.

Next time check your sound effect before you play some Atmos content. Mine always sounds the same, every time it’s turned on.
post #1613 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
That makes no sense. The speaker doesn’t need to be woke up after it was off, at least mine doesn’t and thats enough to convince me that’s an anomaly and isn’t normal. Bass blast, Atmos and movie use all 5.1 speakers the other presets do not. Movie seems to have the highest height effects volume and bass blast seems to be slightly lower. You can’t force the bar to do anything else besides what it’s programmed to do though: I use movie for everything and bass blast for music.

Next time check your sound effect before you play some Atmos content. Mine always sounds the same, every time it’s turned on.

It would have been nice If LG has clearly described how each mode behave. One would think that you should use The Music mode to play music.

Also when you look at other atmos soundbars like the Sony you can actually decide what it does with stereo and for instance say transform stereo source into Neural:x which simulate surround with a stereo source.

Lg has no such explanation or feature that allows me to decide how the sound should be.

post #1614 of 1987 Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
Quote:

It would have been nice If LG has clearly described how each mode behave. One would think that you should use The Music mode to play music.

Also when you look at other atmos soundbars like the Sony you can actually decide what it does with stereo and for instance say transform stereo source into Neural:x which simulate surround with a stereo source.

Lg has no such explanation or feature that allows me to decide how the sound should be.

Can’t disagree with you there, it’s poorly explained in the manual. But it does state what each mode does in a general sense. Movie will take any mode and make it 5.1 and a “wider sound stage.” Bass blast will do the same with more bass. ASC is adaptative sound control which decides what should sound the best based on the content. Standard is generic and music is for music. It does the same thing that the Sony bar does but it’s not explained very well. Music is for music, but I prefer bass blast as I enjoy rock music and I like the extra bass. Music to me sounds good but feels like it’s missing something and I have to turn it up louder to achieve the same volume as bass blast.
post #1615 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Can’t disagree with you there, it’s poorly explained in the manual. But it does state what each mode does in a general sense. Movie will take any mode and make it 5.1 and a “wider sound stage.” Bass blast will do the same with more bass. ASC is adaptative sound control which decides what should sound the best based on the content. Standard is generic and music is for music. It does the same thing that the Sony bar does but it’s not explained very well. Music is for music, but I prefer bass blast as I enjoy rock music and I like the extra bass. Music to me sounds good but feels like it’s missing something and I have to turn it up louder to achieve the same volume as bass blast.
I was able to pick up an open box SJ9 at BB for under $360, yesterday, so obviously they are whittling down their inventory. Just set it up last night and really haven't put it through t's paces, yet. It was late and the kids were getting ready for bed. The room I have is rather large with a high ceiling, so I'm not very confident this will serve the room well. I have a existing sub, ceiling speakers and center speaker in the room, but the wife wanted something simple to operate from the remote of the 65" LG OLED.
post #1616 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post
Quote:
I was able to pick up an open box SJ9 at BB for under $360, yesterday, so obviously they are whittling down their inventory. Just set it up last night and really haven't put it through t's paces, yet. It was late and the kids were getting ready for bed. The room I have is rather large with a high ceiling, so I'm not very confident this will serve the room well. I have a existing sub, ceiling speakers and center speaker in the room, but the wife wanted something simple to operate from the remote of the 65" LG OLED.
It’s pretty loud. I paid $499 for mine, $360 is a steal.
post #1617 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, all

Purchased SJ9 last week, wondering what would be the best setup to get DV/Atmos.
Currently have LG 65 B7A OLED and LG UP970 UHD BD Player.

So as I understand, I can connect everything two ways:

case #1 .
UP970 -> HDMI OUT -> B7 -> (ARC) -> SJ9

case #2 .
UP970 -> HDMI OUT (Audio Only) -> SJ9
UP970 -> HDMI OUT (Out to TV) -> B7

In case #1 I will get DV but not Atmos. (Sucks because Atmos was one of the features of this soundbar)
In case #2 I will get Atmos, but not DV. (Kinda sucks because DV really makes a difference for pq sometimes)

Is there a way to get both? Or would we have to wait for fw update (who knows when).TIA!
post #1618 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf342 View Post
Hi, all

Purchased SJ9 last week, wondering what would be the best setup to get DV/Atmos.
Currently have LG 65 B7A OLED and LG UP970 UHD BD Player.

So as I understand, I can connect everything two ways:

case #1 .
UP970 -> HDMI OUT -> B7 -> (ARC) -> SJ9

case #2 .
UP970 -> HDMI OUT (Audio Only) -> SJ9
UP970 -> HDMI OUT (Out to TV) -> B7

In case #1 I will get DV but not Atmos. (Sucks because Atmos was one of the features of this soundbar)
In case #2 I will get Atmos, but not DV. (Kinda sucks because DV really makes a difference for pq sometimes)

Is there a way to get both? Or would we have to wait for fw update (who knows when).TIA!

Like I told you in the other thread... I have

970 to SJ9 IN.... SJ9 OUT to TV HDMI 2 (ARC)

Everything works fine. DV and Atmos via any disc played on the 970 as well as from internal TV apps such as Netflix and Amazon.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #1619 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Gotcha. I will play around with the setup this weekend, thanks for the detailed answer

post #1620 of 1987 Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yf342 View Post
Gotcha. I will play around with the setup this weekend, thanks for the detailed answer

Yeah it’s easy...

Audio always goes to soundbar. Plug the HDMI from ARC HDMI port on SJ9 to ARC HDMI on B7, which is HDMI 2.

Vudu, Netflix, Dolby access all work with DV and Atmos and everything going to the soundbar first is the same way, it all works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page