Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #151 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry that was Atmos part... I meant..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loic.juillerat View Post
I own a 2016 B6 Oled and I was asking myself how good is the ARC connection between soundbar abd TV. Is the power on of the soundbar instant with the nagic remote. I want to replace my Sony HT-XT3 soundplate as the ARC implementation is quite buggy. Power on is also very slow. Thanks for your advices.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk
I have a 2016 B6 as well. It's not quite instant. I'd say about 4-5 seconds after turning on the TV will the SJ9 turn on. Then another 5 seconds for sound to start.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #153 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
Alternatively you could connect your DirectTV or Xbox directly to the Sj9 via HDMI and you'll get Atmos that way. The Sj9 will pass through the video signal to the TV.
The only way to get Atmos is to have the sound bar connected straight to the ATMOS source? Even 2016 tvs can't do this, which I find strange.
Atmos won't work through the audio optic cable???

So my day one edition Xbox one connected to the sound bar, which then connects to the TV. I think Xbox one has a VUDO app and would give me atmos.
(VUDO has a free demo video that you can play one for Dolby Vision and one for Atmos sound -- the same demo video I think they use at shows.
I don't think I would get Dolby Vision which I can get on the TV app)

I would then have to hook up the TV through audio Optic cable or do some smart sound sync to get sound from the TV for anything else?

It seems like Atmos is a couple of years away.

It seems like a smarter choice is to pick up the high end sound bar from like 2 years ago. Good sound, but cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie112 View Post
HI, I am new here so hi all.. I want to buy the lg sj9 sound bar and have been waiting for all the reviews to read before I go rushing out to get one..
The problem is that to my surprise there are no reviews to read!! Why is this? I would have thought by now a major reviewer would have got hold of one and fully tested it...
I am still waiting...
So I found your thread ??..

TV speakers are useless so
I have had 2 sound bars, not high end but OK.. So I know the difference..
I just would like to ask the guys that own one what they think of it?

Does it blow your socks off?

Is it powerful?

Does it distort at high volume or Chrystal clear?

Forget about the atoms part I just mean as a sound bar?

Also have you had a sound bar before so you are comparing to your previous bar and not TV speakers?

and lastly one of you connected rear speakers to it... did that successfully work in the end and did you manage to get the volume out of them?

The reason for all the questions is that I am seriously considering this sound bar or do I go for the Sony?? A bit more pricey I know... And also another sound bar that has no professional reviews yet either!!!!
Can't understand that either!!

Many thanks everyone
Welcome! To answer your questions in order:
1. Yes! For everyday TV watching it's fantastic. The Atmos sound bubble is still fantastic despite not having dedicated ceiling speakers or rears.
2. I'd say so and I'm fine with 500 watts. But some would say an 800 watt system is inherently better, but as I live in an apartment with thin-ish walls with the sound bar 8ft from the couch, any louder than 25 would border on being uncomfortanly loud and draw the ire of our neighbors.
3. I've only pushed mine to 25 and it still sounded great to me.
4. Yes, a ca. 2014 Samsung 2.1 channel hand-me-down with a wireless sub. I had it for about a week before I got the SJ9. Huge difference in clarity and power. The SJ9 is obviously more capable.
5. You'll have to ask him about that. :-)

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #155 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Ok, I think I figured out some major differences between firmwares:
1. Connected via ARC, startup from turning on the TV to sound bar power on is still about 4-5 seconds. With original firmware, soundbar power on to sound output was about 10-11 seconds. With new firmware, it seems to be about 5.
2. When powered off, power LED stays dim blue (or white...depending your level of colorblindness) rather than red. I preferred red. I've opted to just turn it off all together in the Music Flow app.
3. I haven't noticed anything different soundwise.
4. Atmos functionality hasn't been bricked.

post #156 of 1986 Old 04-25-2017, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
I have a 2016 B6 as well. It's not quite instant. I'd say about 4-5 seconds after turning on the TV will the SJ9 turn on. Then another 5 seconds for sound to start.
Okay that seems not so bad. I have some 15-20 seconds with "please wait" message with my Sony and this is quite frustrating. After trying some Samsung/Sony soundbar, I have the feeling that buying a soundbar of the same brand will be better, but I am perhaps wrong. Due to the lack of Atmos compatibility with ARC (I use WebOS app like Plex and Netflix), I am asking myself if SJ8 is not a better option. Is there a "not too expensive" way to use Netflix/Plex from external player (connected to HDMI IN soundbar) ?
post #157 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@tubaloth Atmos is not possible via optical cable. The solution is to use a Dolby Vision/Atmos capable device for streaming, for example an Ultra HD Bluray Player and to connect it directly to the soundbar.
post #158 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
@tubaloth Atmos is not possible via optical cable. The solution is to use a Dolby Vision/Atmos capable device for streaming, for example an Ultra HD Bluray Player and to connect it directly to the soundbar.
Yeah just sad, that my new 4k tv can do HDR, looks nice when you find a good film to do it, but it can't do the cool sound.

What device are people hooking up to the soundbar to get Atmos?
post #159 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaloth View Post
Yeah just sad, that my new 4k tv can do HDR, looks nice when you find a good film to do it, but it can't do the cool sound.

What device are people hooking up to the soundbar to get Atmos?
I'm using the Philips BDP7501 4K bluray player from last year. I also used a PS4 for testing Atmos a few days ago and it worked fine once you fiddle with the settings.

post #160 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm using the Philips BDP7501 4K bluray player from last year. I also used a PS4 for testing Atmos a few days ago and it worked fine once you fiddle with the settings.
Do you use the sound bar for normal TV? I assume just Optical from the TV for everything else.
post #161 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Do you use the sound bar for normal TV? I assume just Optical from the TV for everything else.
Yes I do, but for regular TV, sound comes back to the sound bar via ARC, so no optical connection necessary.

post #162 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yes I do, but for regular TV, sound comes back to the sound bar via ARC, so no optical connection necessary.
Sorry, just to be clear how you got it set up.
Blu-ray player to sound bar (normal HDMI cable?) Sound Bar to TV through ARC? (ARC HDMI cable?) That is all you need?

Does it come with an HDMI cable?

Thanks
post #163 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry, just to be clear how you got it set up.
Blu-ray player to sound bar (normal HDMI cable?) Sound Bar to TV through ARC? (ARC HDMI cable?) That is all you need?

Does it come with an HDMI cable?

Thanks
Blu-ray to sound bar (certified premium high speed HDMI cable...for proper passing of HDR). Sound bar to TV via HDMI 2 (which is the ARC port on my TV, using another certified premium high speed HDMI cable). My TiVo is on HDMI 1, PS4 on HDMI 3, NUC on HDMI 4. All those other things send sound back to the sound bar via HDMI 2.

post #164 of 1986 Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I thought I'd post my setup now it's equalised a bit.

TV = LG B6 connected to the SJ9 via HDMI ARC. The TVs audio output setting is on 'Auto' otherwise it'd output PCM which doesn't sound as good with this soundbar as DD. This is how I watch TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. This gives me 5.1 output from the soundbar. I can turn on and off both the TV and SJ9 and control the volume with the TV's remote.

PS4 connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the 4k HDR video signal to the TV and 'should' enable ATMOS audio on the SJ9 but for some reason I just get noise. This will also give me 5.1 output from the PS4.

Xbox One alternatively connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the video signal to the TV and this 'does' give me ATMOS audio on the SJ9. This will also give me 5.1 output from the Xbox One.

I have 2 LG H3 speakers placed behind me that I can optionally enable as rear surround speakers via the LG Music Flow app. I can control the volume levels of each speaker separately from the soundbar via the app. The results of this vary from a very effective surround effect to unusable. Some movies sound great whereas broadcast TV sounds awful as the discreet 5.1 signals are not distributed correctly to the rear speakers and you get a slightly delayed copy of what's playing from the front. I don't know where this is going wrong. The app or the soundbar.

I've also go the SJ9 and both H3s in a Google Home group for music playback without the need to turn the TV on.

I'm expecting to get the Xbox Scorpio for my UHD BluRay playback at some point as I'd rather not have a player just for movie disks.

This is far from perfect (PS4 ATMOS playback bug for instance) but it might help someone with the cabling logic as I've been helped so far by this forum.

And if anyone knows how to improve this setup please shout out!
Justin Fletcher likes this.

Last edited by ShiroEd; 04-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.
post #165 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm running OpenPHT (Plex) on my Odroid C2 and it's working great! Can play all my (Atmos, DTS, DD51) MKV's and if a future firmware would add DTS:X, it could also play that.

About the lip sync I had, I also watched a Youtube lip sync video test and it's very weird, but that is spot on! So it's seems to be a problem with my Cable Box and the (Android) Netflix app... Stil think its strange that this wasnt the case with my old soundbar.
post #166 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lots of good info here, thanks!
post #167 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I thought I'd post my setup now it's equalised a bit.

TV = LG B6 connected to the SJ9 via HDMI ARC. The TVs audio output setting is on 'Auto' otherwise it'd output PCM which doesn't sound as good with this soundbar as DD. This is how I watch TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. This gives me 5.1 output from the soundbar. I can turn on and off both the TV and SJ9 and control the volume with the TV's remote.

PS4 connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the 4k HDR video signal to the TV and 'should' enable ATMOS audio on the SJ9 but for some reason I just get noise. This will also give me 5.1 output from the PS4.

Xbox One alternatively connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the video signal to the TV and this 'does' give me ATMOS audio on the SJ9. This will also give me 5.1 output from the Xbox One.

I have 2 LG H3 speakers placed behind me that I can optionally enable as rear surround speakers via the LG Music Flow app. I can control the volume levels of each speaker separately from the soundbar via the app. The results of this vary from a very effective surround effect to unusable. Some movies sound great whereas broadcast TV sounds awful as the discreet 5.1 signals are not distributed correctly to the rear speakers and you get a slightly delayed copy of what's playing from the front. I don't know where this is going wrong. The app or the soundbar.

I've also go the SJ9 and both H3s in a Google Home group for music playback without the need to turn the TV on.

I'm expecting to get the Xbox Scorpio for my UHD BluRay playback at some point as I'd rather not have a player just for movie disks.

This is far from perfect (PS4 ATMOS playback bug for instance) but it might help someone with the cabling logic as I've been helped so far by this forum.

And if anyone knows how to improve this setup please shout out!
I believe in the full SJ9 manual on the LG site, there's a procedure for pairing rear speakers to the sound bar without using the app. This is probably the route I'll go when I'm ready for rears. You put the idea in my head. Thanks a lot!

post #168 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
What rear LG speakers is everyone using, or going to use, with the SJ9?
post #169 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I believe in the full SJ9 manual on the LG site, there's a procedure for pairing rear speakers to the sound bar without using the app. This is probably the route I'll go when I'm ready for rears. You put the idea in my head. Thanks a lot!
Just done it.
Hit the '+' button on the SJ9 then the '+' buttong on the Left surround (H3) then the '+' button on the Right surround (H3). This is exactly the same as using the app. This connection appears in the app and you'll need the app to disconnect them.
It still doesn't treat my TV signal correctly. It sends the audio to all the speakers equally so the dialogue comes out of the rears too. Not tried it with an ATMOS signal yet. Will try that soon.
post #170 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
What rear LG speakers is everyone using, or going to use, with the SJ9?
LG H3s
post #171 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone compared how good the Atmos on the this LG soundbar vs others? It is kind of strange that it does not have any sound setup to calculate distance etc. Thanks.
New24K likes this.
post #172 of 1986 Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It still doesn't treat my TV signal correctly. It sends the audio to all the speakers equally so the dialogue comes out of the rears too. Not tried it with an ATMOS signal yet. Will try that soon.
So it is treating it like 5 channel stereo instead of 5.1
post #173 of 1986 Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
You have some bad tech luck or a gremlin!
I had no issues getting Beyond to play on my PS4 with Atmos changing the same settings you did. Proof attached. Also, I'm using certified premium high speed hdmi cables from monoprice for both sets of connections.
Hey dude,
I still can't get this working with my PS4 Pro.
Could you do me a favor and describe in detail your setup?
From the audio settings on the TV to the exact settings on the PS4?

I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue I've got.
Tar...
post #174 of 1986 Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM

WEIRD update on my ATMOS from PS4 Pro to SJ9 issue.

I borrowed another PS4 Pro console to rule out any hardware issue with my console and it behaves exactly the same. I just get noise when I play an ATMOS enabled track on a BluRay.

BUT, check this out, I put in my Everest BluRay and the default audio track is English ATMOS and that was noise the same as the others BUT it also has French and German ATMOS tracks THAT WORK PERFECTLY!!! The back of the BluRay box describes the English ATMOS track as "Dolby True ATMOS" and the French and German ATMOS tracks as "ATMOS DD+". Is this significant? It seems a bit of a coincidence that they are different yet play correctly.

What a PAIN!
post #175 of 1986 Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
WEIRD update on my ATMOS from PS4 Pro to SJ9 issue.

I borrowed another PS4 Pro console to rule out any hardware issue with my console and it behaves exactly the same. I just get noise when I play an ATMOS enabled track on a BluRay.

BUT, check this out, I put in my Everest BluRay and the default audio track is English ATMOS and that was noise the same as the others BUT it also has French and German ATMOS tracks THAT WORK PERFECTLY!!! The back of the BluRay box describes the English ATMOS track as "Dolby True ATMOS" and the French and German ATMOS tracks as "ATMOS DD+". Is this significant? It seems a bit of a coincidence that they are different yet play correctly.

What a PAIN!
Do you still need me to send over detailed settings? Probably wont' be able to do so until about 9PM or so EST.

So strange that it's happening with another PS4 Pro. Just did a quick google search and this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

post #176 of 1986 Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Do you still need me to send over detailed settings? Probably wont' be able to do so until about 9PM or so EST.

So strange that it's happening with another PS4 Pro. Just did a quick google search and this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.
Yes please. Any time you can mate. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.
One thing I was wondering from the picture you took was what 'player' you're using. I don't recognise the interface. The BluRay app I'm using on my PS4 Pro doesn't look like yours.

Thanks again.
post #177 of 1986 Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yes please. Any time you can mate. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.
One thing I was wondering from the picture you took was what 'player' you're using. I don't recognise the interface. The BluRay app I'm using on my PS4 Pro doesn't look like yours.

Thanks again.
The player was just the default bluray player. That screen you saw was just the pop menu for the movie so I could select a scene.

Here you go:

TV: 65B6
Sound Settings
Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
Digital Sound Out: Auto
SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC): On

PS4 (Non Pro):
Audio Output Settings
Primary Output Port: HDMI OUT
Audio Format (Priority): Bistream (Dolby)

In PS4 bluray player, while actual movie is playing and not paused, hit Options button on controller. Select Settings. Change Audio Format to Bitstream (Direct).

Also don't know if it matters, but my PS4 is on 4.55. The TV is on firmware 04.31.15 installed manually via thumb drive.

post #178 of 1986 Old 04-29-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Went into Best Buy today to take a look at the new LG OLEDs.

They had the new 65" E7 and right under it was the SJ9.

However, they couldn't get the SJ9 to work correctly...

Not sure how well that bodes for it...
post #179 of 1986 Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good afternoon,

I got a pretty tricky problem with my setup and I basically got no idea where the problem comes from. Setup:

TV: LG OLED 55 E6D (newest software version xx.95)
Sound Settings
Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
Digital Sound Out: Auto
SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC): On
HDR: HDMI 2 (ARC) turned on

Xbox One S (newest software version):
Audio Output Settings
Primary Output Port: HDMI OUT
Audio Format (Priority): Bit stream

Sound bar: SJ9 (newest software version)

Now to my problem. It seems like the paththrough is not working as indented. When I play a 4K movie the sound is played while the screen stays black or sometimes gray.
I bought the standard HDMI cable from Amazon (HDMI 2.0 a/b, 2.0, 1.4a - ULTRA HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, ARC ....) and also tried the cable delivered with the Xbox One S (bought it 3 days ago). Both cables showed the same problem.

Now I tested another cable from a friend (HDMI Ultra HD Premium 4K, 2.0b 60 Herz) it turned out that it worked "better" with this cable, I finally could see the movie BUT when I turned it off and switched back to XBox the TV screen started to flicker also it did not automatically switch to HDR mode.

For me it clearly looks like that the 4k signal isn't rooted through the SJ9 in the correct way.

Sorry if something is not 100% clear due to my non native english

BR
Thomas
mike240se likes this.
post #180 of 1986 Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You should try 2 new cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement