Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1771 of 1987 Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is the SJ9 too tall to be used with C7? Does it cover the screen or the black bezel around the screen at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1987 Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skola28 View Post
If you watch everything with Roku, you could just move the Roku connection to the HDMI In on the SJ9, and then take your SJ9 HDMI Out to the B7.

HOWEVER- I also want to know if there is a way to change the default source. In fact, I'd love it if when I selected a specific source on my LG TV, that the SJ9 would switch to a prescribed input.
Example: When I select HDMI 1 (chromecast ultra) on my LG TV, I want the SJ9 to switch to HDMI/Optical ARC. When I select HDMI 3 (Xbox One) on my LG TV, I want the SJ9 to switch to HDMI IN.

Thanks, I'll give that a try later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post
Is the SJ9 too tall to be used with C7? Does it cover the screen or the black bezel around the screen at all?

Someone else can probably give you a better answer but in the meantime, I think it'll be a tough fit. The SJ9 pairs with my B7 almost perfectly and the stand for the C7 is listed as .4" shorter than the B7.
post #1773 of 1987 Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
Someone else can probably give you a better answer but in the meantime, I think it'll be a tough fit. The SJ9 pairs with my B7 almost perfectly and the stand for the C7 is listed as .4" shorter than the B7.

Do you mean the the top of the soundbar is right below the bottom bezel of your B7? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfriedel View Post
Update to the PS4 Pro saga.

I plugged the SJ9 in to the Panasonic 4K player, and got Atmos effortlessly.

I then plugged the other PS4, a first gen white one, and got the exact same issue. Nothing I tried could get Atmos to play - just the hissing static.

Plugging both the PS4 Pro and the White PS4 in to our Yamaha amp, which has Atmos set up through a 5.1.2 setup, and both worked perfectly.

So there's something not quite right between the SJ9 and a PS4. I'll contact both LG and Sony to discuss as not sure who is really at fault here.

Dolby 5.1 is fine. But Atmos creates hiss/static. Given the PS4 Pro is used for games with the SJ9, it's not *that* much of an issue, but would still like it to work. And I wonder what would happen if there were any Atmos games - would they static/hiss too?
I know this is old post but i answer anyway, i was able to get atmos working without problems between ps4 pro and lgjs9. Played Stephen kings IT on pro and lg sj9 displays atmos sound signal. Direct connection from ps4 pro to lg sj9.
I know this an old post but I have the issue with PS4 pro. Hissing static sound when I’m on Dolby bitstream and switch the Blu-ray from pcm to bitstream in options menu when the dvd is playing.

My hardware:
PS4 pro
Lg sj9
Lg C6

I had the PS4 pro connected to sj9 via HDMI. Sound bar HDMI out to tv arc HDMI.

Please help me!! I greatly appreciate any and all help. I’m playing the Batman vs Superman Blu-ray. It has an atmos soundtrack. It plays atmos when I had the same setup just using a lg Blu-ray player instead of the PS4 pro.

Thank you!!
post #1775 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoncay11 View Post
I know this an old post but I have the issue with PS4 pro. Hissing static sound when I’m on Dolby bitstream and switch the Blu-ray from pcm to bitstream in options menu when the dvd is playing.

My hardware:
PS4 pro
Lg sj9
Lg C6

Please help me!! I greatly appreciate any and all help. I’m playing the Batman vs Superman Blu-ray. It has an atmos soundtrack. It plays atmos when I had the same setup just using a lg Blu-ray player instead of the PS4 pro.

Thank you!!
Strange, i watched game of thrones blu-ray discs (dolby atmos sound) with ps 4 pro and it worked like it should. Do you have latest system software installed to pro? Did you switch ps 4 pro general audio option to bitstream also?
post #1776 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:

My hardware:
PS4 pro
Lg sj9
Lg C6

Thank you!!
Strange, i watched game of thrones blu-ray discs (dolby atmos sound) with ps 4 pro and it worked like it should. Do you have latest system software installed to pro? Did you switch ps 4 pro general audio option to bitstream also?
I’m pretty sure I do. My PS4 is on automatice updates. Does the sound abt also have firmware upgrades, that may be adversely affectingly its performance with the PS4. I got it open box from BB not sure if they ever updated it.

In the PS4 settings I have the audio output to HDMI and Dolby bitstream.
post #1777 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I’m pretty sure I do. My PS4 is on automatice updates. Does the sound abt also have firmware upgrades, that may be adversely affectingly its performance with the PS4. I got it open box from BB not sure if they ever updated it.

You can update soundbar software with music flow mobile app atleast.
post #1778 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post

Quoting my own post. I just bought the SJ9. You can absolutely use this soundbar with the C7. The SJ9 is a tad taller than the space under the C7 but obviously you look at the TV from higher up so there is really no way to see that.

Also I want to say that I first bought the SJ8 because of esthetics but that sounded absolutely horrible and I'm not and audiophile of any sort.
post #1779 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You can update soundbar software with music flow mobile app atleast.
Okay so looks like I updated the PS4 pro and the sound bar to latest firmware. I tried a different Blu-ray movie. “Baby driver” this was DTS and the sj9 info did in fact show DTS when the movie was playing on the PlayStation. Issue is still persisting when I play the Batman vs Superman Blu-ray which has an atmos soundtrack. when I play that and switch the options to bitstream direct back comes the hissing static noise. I’m pretty frustrated at this point
post #1780 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Okay so looks like I updated the PS4 pro and the sound bar to latest firmware. I tried a different Blu-ray movie. “Baby driver” this was DTS and the sj9 info did in fact show DTS when the movie was playing on the PlayStation. Issue is still persisting when I play the Batman vs Superman Blu-ray which has an atmos soundtrack. when I play that and switch the options to bitstream direct back comes the hissing static noise. I’m pretty frustrated at this point
If I have the PS4 connected to the TV, then use ARC, I still get static.

But if I have the PS4 connected directly to the sound bar, then soundbar to the TV (so SJ9 uses HDMI In), Atmos works from the PS4 Pro.

LG patched the SJ9 to allow PS4 Pro to work when directly connected.

Apparently a late-2017 firmware update for the C7 TV did it too - but I still get static. I ended up buying a HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 switch to plug between my devices and the SJ9, and use that instead of ARC.
OwnerOfLg likes this.

LG OLED65B6 | Yamaha RX-A860 | LG UBK90 | Morel SoundSpot SP2 (x5) | Morel Sub 8X | 2 x Atmos/DTS:X speakers | Fetch Mighty | Plex | Apple TV 4K
LG OLED55C7 | PS4 Pro | Panasonic UB900 | LG SJ9 | Apple TV 4K
post #1781 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope someone can help me I’m having a huge problem.

I have an Xbox X, LG65B7A, and SJ9 setup.

Everything works perfect until I use HDR video games on my Xbox.

If I connect my Xbox via HDMI to SJ9 via HDMI to the LGB7A it works until I put on HDR games. Then the TV completely cuts out and I get no video or audio.

If I connect my Xbox X via HDMI to my LGB7A and SJ9 via HDMI to LGB7A I have lip sync issues with a delay on HDR games. Any suggestions?
post #1782 of 1987 Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfriedel View Post
Quote:
If I have the PS4 connected to the TV, then use ARC, I still get static.

But if I have the PS4 connected directly to the sound bar, then soundbar to the TV (so SJ9 uses HDMI In), Atmos works from the PS4 Pro.

LG patched the SJ9 to allow PS4 Pro to work when directly connected.

Apparently a late-2017 firmware update for the C7 TV did it too - but I still get static. I ended up buying a HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 switch to plug between my devices and the SJ9, and use that instead of ARC.
My tv is the C6 so the tv arc doesn’t actually do Atmos. I only get atmos when the source connected into the HDMI in. And HDMI out from sj9 into the arc HDMI on my tv. Funny enough on the current setup I played the atmos sample from Vudu through the PS4 app and surprise surprise the sj9 passses through atmos it shows up on the led on sj9. So seems like the only issue is coming from the blu ray playback.

Set up is : PS4 pro > sj9 > tv HDMI arc

Tv is lg oled c6
post #1783 of 1987 Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
Hi All, I have a few questions about my sj9, some basic issues. Also my TV is the OLED65B7A... I have a PS4 Pro, Xfinity top box, and iMac 2017 plugged directly into the TV. currently SJ9 is connected to the HDMI 2 (ARC) port on the TV, and an Xbox One X is fed through HDMI in on the SJ9.

1. For some reason when I choose ATMOS output on my XBOX One X there is a significant delay in the sound, but only when the xbox plugged into the TV directly and I'm outputting the sound on the SJ9 on the HDMI 2 ARC source. For example the if the XBOX is connected to HDMI 3 or 4, and I choose to output sound to the SJ9, the delay is bad... I noticed the issue is fixed by running the Xbox through the HDMI Input on the SJ9, and and then outputting that to HDMI 2 on the TV. Its a solution so I'm happy about that, but does anyone know why this happens?

2. When I connect my iMac 2017 a few different ways to play games, there are 2 issues. To clarify too, I have a USB-C to HDMI adapter on the iMac that is rated 4k / 60hz. If I connect the mac to the TV directly into the TV HDMI inputs (1, 3, or 4) I get the full 4k / 60 Hz without issue on the video side, however the audio is sometimes significantly delayed in games. When I try the method like with the Xbox, and plug the iMac through the HDMI input on the SJ9, and then use the SJ9 output to HDMI2, the sound delay gets significantly better and syncs up nicely, However the display only outputs 4k / 30hz making some of the games tough to play. Anyway to get 4k / 60 hz from the iMac through the SJ9 HDMI input??

3. For some reason, whenever and HDMI cable is connected to the SJ9 HDMI IN port, and I connect a 3.5mm cable to the portable in, there is a buzzing noise that comes from the speaker. I originally tried to use this method to hookup the Mac. For example, had the mac plugged in directly the TV HDMI port, then ran the 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack on mac to the portable input to SJ9. This did solve the sound delay issue somewhat and gave me 4k / 60Hz, but the buzzing noise makes it useless. Now this is fixed by unplugging whatever is connected to the HDMI in port on the SJ9 (in this case the Xbox) but that's kind of annoying to have to do every time. Any solutions to this? Edit: and it doesn't matter what source the sj9 is set to output either, the buzzing will happen no matter what source is selected.

As a note, I updated the firmware on the SJ9 a few days ago through the music flow app on my phone. TV is set to auto update whenever it happens and connected to WiFi.

Last edited by wisdom_cube29; 06-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #1784 of 1987 Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 AM

Hi all,
does anyone know what can be the reason I can't make an update my SJ9? The musicflow application (PC) shows me a new version of the software, the update starts automaticaly, the LED on the soundbar flashes and I see the word "update". Unfortunately, this is already the case for a few hours. The Internet connection is OK (120 Mbps cable). I don't have an idea how to force a proper update.

Thank you for your advice.
post #1785 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I have just grabbed the SJ9, as the newer SK9Y is the same model with an updated firmware.

im sure i might be able to clone this firmware in someway so i will keep you posted on that as the unit is identical in every way, bar the colour.

ALSO LG confirmed that the new SPK8-S rear speakers for the 2018 lineup of sound bars will work with the SJ9.

HAPPY DAYS
post #1786 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer86 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just grabbed the SJ9, as the newer SK9Y is the same model with an updated firmware.

im sure i might be able to clone this firmware in someway so i will keep you posted on that as the unit is identical in every way, bar the colour.

ALSO LG confirmed that the new SPK8-S rear speakers for the 2018 lineup of sound bars will work with the SJ9.

HAPPY DAYS
Where did you get confirmation that the SPK8-S works with the SJ9? My inquiries to LG support and sales both said no, and the manual for the SPK8-S does not list the SJ9 as compatible. If true, that would be great news.
post #1787 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Where did you get confirmation that the SPK8-S works with the SJ9? My inquiries to LG support and sales both said no, and the manual for the SPK8-S does not list the SJ9 as compatible. If true, that would be great news.
i got the confirmation that is should work directly from LG Phone product support UK.

I will be purchasing the SPK8-S speakers and seeing if they do indeed.

He said that they should work with it as the SJ9 as is bluetooth compatible and they speakers connect via bluetooth to the soundbar.

So they should work even though they are not listed in the manual, i beleive they are not listed as they were not released with the 2017 soundbars.

Many thanks

Reefer
post #1788 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
i got the confirmation that is should work directly from LG Phone product support UK.

I will be purchasing the SPK8-S speakers and seeing if they do indeed.

He said that they should work with it as the SJ9 as is bluetooth compatible and they speakers connect via bluetooth to the soundbar.

So they should work even though they are not listed in the manual, i beleive they are not listed as they were not released with the 2017 soundbars.

Many thanks

Reefer

Cool.... let us know if they do. I might pick up a set for mine.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #1789 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 08:15 AM

HMMMM FYI regarding the SPK8-s rear speakers

They confirmed NOW that they dont, this is a firmware issue they said................ what a joke. (called again)

The SJ9 is £699 currently (what i paid) and the SK9 is £899 plus £159 for rear speakers is £359 more............ not sure its worth it tbh.

Thoughts?
post #1790 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Official LG SJ9 Thread

Guys,

I wanted to report on my experience with the SJ9 and the LG H7 speakers.

First i got those 2 speakers brand new for less than $200 thanks to fleabay with a 20% coupon a few weeks ago. So it’s definitely a no brainer if you have an sj9 as I will explain below.

A) Connecting the speakers and sound bar
3 possibles modes:
- all WiFi
- sj9 wired , h7s WiFi
- all wired

Lets cut to the chase, all WiFi is super instable, no matter what I did the back were sometime sounding distorted. A little bit better when I used à streamed compressed atmos soundtrack. But that is not my main use case, I use 4K blu-rays

Hybrid works perfectly if you make sure that the channel is untouched by your WiFi router and there is no other devices preventing a clear connection. Streamed compressed atmos works perfectly.

All wired (ugly in my setup so went back to hybrid) works flawlessly as expected

B) Set up the surround mode and watching experience

First make sure to make all the firmware updates this is super important.

From the app, i simply click on the sj9 surround icon and add a left and right speaker. Super easy.

The famous question are the left and right discrete.

The answer is yes they absolutely are to my ears this is a non scientific test but... I think LG has not nailed down yet (and probably never will) the perfect implementation for it in the Atmos mode. It works better in Dolby digital/ normal dts

My non scientific analysis goes as follow. In Atmos they seem to send a mixed of the all the rear and up channels continuously to the rears and then add on top the rear or left discrete channel and it does not always sound good.
Basically they ****ed up the atmos decoding with rear channels

Even with That 90% of my 4K blu rays with atmos sounded way better with the H7 , here a few ones when you can clearly hear the issue I am mentionning above:
- Baby driver
- gladiator (probably because of ****ty support of dts-x)

The best immersion effect imho with the H7
Matrix
Braveheart
All the Batman
Ghost in the shell
Fast and furious
Wonder Woman

C) conclusion

So YMMV But no matter what my overall feedback is that its worth it to add them because the immersion is 1000 times better and with the new models out the H7s are a really cheap add ons. If you get the soundbar for $360’and the two rear for $200; this cannot be beaten.

LG please tweak the implementation for the atmos just a little bit better please
Oh and add dts-x when you are it, still does not work well ( tested with gladiator 4K)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by paulhenta; 06-15-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #1791 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The rear speakers do not work and they are not Bluetooth, that person needs a new job. They feed from a rear receiver through speaker wire and 120V. You can use other rear speakers with this soundbar but it’s very mixed results.

As for everyone else, I think it’s been stated many times here that there is a lip sync issue over ARC. I personally have no idea what anyone’s talking about because I’ve never noticed a thing. The best way to connect ALL sources is through the HDMI IN. Unfortunately LG thinks we all own only one device though.
post #1792 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
HMMMM FYI regarding the SPK8-s rear speakers

They confirmed NOW that they dont, this is a firmware issue they said................ what a joke. (called again)

The SJ9 is £699 currently (what i paid) and the SK9 is £899 plus £159 for rear speakers is £359 more............ not sure its worth it tbh.

Thoughts?
Worth it to me? No.

I'm fine with the SJ9... I saw the rears you mentioned for $136 online and I'm like "Ok, why not" but I'm definitely not standing here saying "ZOMG I NEED REAR SPEAKERS."

The SJ9 sounds great... and paired with my 65 B7 it's a great experience... Atmos too.

As for the lip sync issues thru ARC... I originally had the problem when trying to use the XB1X as a player. I went out and bought the LG 970 and connected it via HDMI IN... no problems since.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #1793 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
The rear speakers do not work and they are not Bluetooth, that person needs a new job. They feed from a rear receiver through speaker wire and 120V. You can use other rear speakers with this soundbar but it’s very mixed results.

As for everyone else, I think it’s been stated many times here that there is a lip sync issue over ARC. I personally have no idea what anyone’s talking about because I’ve never noticed a thing. The best way to connect ALL sources is through the HDMI IN. Unfortunately LG thinks we all own only one device though.

I know that was a fairly stupid move from LG

Have you tried the Monoprice blackbird 4K hdmi 2.0 slim switch with 4 hdmi in?

post #1794 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
Quote:

I have not. But I have no issues recommending anything from monoprice. As long as you read the reviews and specs and it states it can pass 4K/DV/HDR it will. I absolutely love Monoprice.
post #1795 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

To be completely honest I just use my TV apps, Xbox and PS4 and I switch the HDMI between the two every so often.
post #1796 of 1987 Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
To be completely honest I just use my TV apps, Xbox and PS4 and I switch the HDMI between the two every so often.

I wish i could do the same but too many things to plug
Xbox one x
PS4 pro
UBP x800
Apple TV 4k
on the switch

Sj9
Mac mini
in Tv ports

No hassle setup, make less cable go to the tv this way
I wish lg had done the same thing Samsung did with the little side box with all the hdmi inputs

post #1797 of 1987 Old 06-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Guys,

I wanted to report on my experience with the SJ9 and the LG H7 speakers.

First i got those 2 speakers brand new for less than $200 thanks to fleabay with a 20% coupon a few weeks ago. So it’s definitely a no brainer if you have an sj9 as I will explain below.

A) Connecting the speakers and sound bar
3 possibles modes:
- all WiFi
- sj9 wired , h7s WiFi
- all wired

Lets cut to the chase, all WiFi is super instable, no matter what I did the back were sometime sounding distorted. A little bit better when I used à streamed compressed atmos soundtrack. But that is not my main use case, I use 4K blu-rays

Hybrid works perfectly if you make sure that the channel is untouched by your WiFi router and there is no other devices preventing a clear connection. Streamed compressed atmos works perfectly.

All wired (ugly in my setup so went back to hybrid) works flawlessly as expected

B) Set up the surround mode and watching experience

First make sure to make all the firmware updates this is super important.

From the app, i simply click on the sj9 surround icon and add a left and right speaker. Super easy.

The famous question are the left and right discrete.

The answer is yes they absolutely are to my ears this is a non scientific test but... I think LG has not nailed down yet (and probably never will) the perfect implementation for it in the Atmos mode. It works better in Dolby digital/ normal dts

My non scientific analysis goes as follow. In Atmos they seem to send a mixed of the all the rear and up channels continuously to the rears and then add on top the rear or left discrete channel and it does not always sound good.
Basically they ****ed up the atmos decoding with rear channels

Even with That 90% of my 4K blu rays with atmos sounded way better with the H7 , here a few ones when you can clearly hear the issue I am mentionning above:
- Baby driver
- gladiator (probably because of ****ty support of dts-x)

The best immersion effect imho with the H7
Matrix
Braveheart
All the Batman
Ghost in the shell
Fast and furious
Wonder Woman

C) conclusion

So YMMV But no matter what my overall feedback is that its worth it to add them because the immersion is 1000 times better and with the new models out the H7s are a really cheap add ons. If you get the soundbar for $360’and the two rear for $200; this cannot be beaten.

LG please tweak the implementation for the atmos just a little bit better please
Oh and add dts-x when you are it, still does not work well ( tested with gladiator 4K)

Please test "Movie mode" with H7s for discreet rears effects.

The majority sans 2 reports here can not get discreet rear effects in "Movie mode". Personally, I think that's just how the bar acts in that particular mode, rears or not.

Hopefully they made later produced versions of the bar work correctly in "Movie mode", as those saying that they do work correctly are new reports here.

Even if they are not discrete in "Movie mode" for the majority here, I definitely recommend rears with the SJ9 as long as you have a stable connection.

If it's not stable, they are junk. For me, that meant Etherneting up everything. YMMV depending on ones router, etc.
post #1798 of 1987 Old 06-17-2018, 05:41 PM

Is SJ9 can decode dts:x?
post #1799 of 1987 Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Worth it to me? No.

I'm fine with the SJ9... I saw the rears you mentioned for $136 online and I'm like "Ok, why not" but I'm definitely not standing here saying "ZOMG I NEED REAR SPEAKERS."

The SJ9 sounds great... and paired with my 65 B7 it's a great experience... Atmos too.

As for the lip sync issues thru ARC... I originally had the problem when trying to use the XB1X as a player. I went out and bought the LG 970 and connected it via HDMI IN... no problems since.

I watched 4k hdr Jumanji (new) with xbox 1 x last nite, i really didn't have any problems whatsoever. Maybe it's a b7/c7 thing this lipsync, i have year older version.

But i do have other complaints about the x1x...sometimes there no sound when i boot up etc. i suppose this is because i use bitstream option. It has bugs for sure, lot more than ps 4 pro...hopefully they fix em.
post #1800 of 1987 Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Please test "Movie mode" with H7s for discreet rears effects.

The majority sans 2 reports here can not get discreet rear effects in "Movie mode". Personally, I think that's just how the bar acts in that particular mode, rears or not.

Hopefully they made later produced versions of the bar work correctly in "Movie mode", as those saying that they do work correctly are new reports here.

Even if they are not discrete in "Movie mode" for the majority here, I definitely recommend rears with the SJ9 as long as you have a stable connection.

If it's not stable, they are junk. For me, that meant Etherneting up everything. YMMV depending on ones router, etc.
Long time AVS Forum browser/first time poster. I usually only browse the forums and never post because I can 99% of the time find the information I need fairly quickly, but I felt I should chime in on this one.

My set up consists of the following
LG OLEDC7V
LG SJ9 with 2 MusicFlow H7's as rears
Sky Q 2tb
Apple TV 4K
Chromecast Ultra
And this week I will be adding a dedicated UHD player as I am not overly impressed with the UHD player in the Xbox One X
All devices are running the latest public release firmware for my region (U.K.)

Firstly, the lip sync issue from external devices via ARC discussed many times on here and other forums is real and completely unsolvable for me unless I tone down audio quality from DD+ to PCM or Stereo, which for me defeats the object of having the soundbar in the first place. My conclusion was the TV's Audio Return Channel is causing the audio delay so I got around this by purchasing a relatively inexpensive HDMI 2.0b 5 port switch rated for full 18Gbps which works perfectly. Here in the U.K. I found my choices limited for such a switch, but the Smartooo 23051 I have does the job well even if there is a slight delay on input switching. In the U.S. there other options from Monoprice, and I have read good things about the Sewell SwitchDeck too.

Now onto the SJ9.
I have this all set up in a what I would call a medium sized room, 13' x 15'. I sit approximately 8' away for viewing. The TV is wall mounted with the SJ9 directly below and slightly forward of the screen to avoid any interference to the upfiring speakers. I have heard dedicated Atmos set ups before, and while the SJ9 cannot compete with individual speakers placed around you, I found it gave a fairly immersive experience from in front and to the sides, and good effect from the height channels. However, sounds from behind were severely lacking which is why I set about trying to get hold of a pair of H7's. Here in the U.K. I found them extremely difficult to get hold of and they are not cheap!! So when I did decide to plump down the cash on them, I can't tell you how annoyed and disappointed I was when I couldn't get them to function at all properly.
The SJ9 has always been connected via ethernet (all my devices are routed through an ethernet switch), so I initially set up the H7's wireless. No dice. The connection was so unstable in surround mode, I would get constant crackling noises and sound delay. So I broke out the LG wireless bridge that came with the H7's, factory reset all the speakers, and tried connecting wireless with that thinking that maybe the Sky Q hub was interfering with the LG's MESH network channels. Again, no dice. Unstable connection in surround mode, crackling and audio delay. So I purchased some flat ethernet cable and hardwired the lot, and PRESTO, flawless connection, no crackles and sound all in sync. I can only assume that with so many devices in close proximity, the wireless connection just had too much interference. With ethernet I have no such issues, and with the flexible flat cable I have managed to route it to the rears so it is not at all visible. And now it is working as it should, the room is completely filled with sound, the experience is so much better!

So with the way I have it set up, I would hazard to argue that it is the best possible way to get the absolute most out of the soundbar and rear speakers. All devices go directly to the HDMI in port on the bar, and H7's are hardwired. Apple TV 4K is set to best possible audio, Sky Q is set to DD+, and Xbox is set to Bitstream Audio/Dolby Atmos (which in itself is buggy, but that's an Xbox issue).

!!!MOVIE MODE (for me at least) DOES NOT DO DISCRETE REAR AUDIO!!!
With Movie Mode, any content I play, if I listen to the rear channels the sound is duplicated in both rears, i.e. the same sounds are coming from both speakers. Switching through ASC, Bass Blast or Standard gives proper discrete rears, but going back to Movie just duplicates both rear channels into both rear speakers again. To test this, I downloaded some proper surround sound test tones (I cannot post links, but I found them on a site called Digital Theatre). I have tried Dolby True HD in both 5.1 & 7.1, and DTS HD in both 5.1 & 7.1. Both the Dolby and DTS 5.1 soundcheck test tones performed as expected, individual channels playing the correct tones in the correct speakers in ASC/Bass Blast/Standard. In Movie the both rears played both rear tones. With the Dolby and DTS 7.1, in all modes except Movie, the front and centre channels were correct, the H7's grouped the right surround/right rear & left surround/left rear. In Movie, the right surround/rear & left surround/rear all played through both H7's.

Atmos tracks from Netflix, Sky Q, UHD Blu Ray and demos all play and perform exactly how I would expect so absolutely no complaints there I'm happy to say.

All in all I'm happy with the way it all works now. I use Movie at night when I don't crank it up so high and don't have the H7's connected, and when I want to blast it out, I connect the rears and set it to ASC or Standard (Bass Blast is a bit much for my enviroment).
Oh, my SJ9 has a build date of Jaunary 2018, so I guess it is a "newer" unit, not that I would think that makes a difference, they all use the same firmware as far as I'm aware.

I apologise if this post is a bit long winded, but I wanted to express how much testing I have done, how I eventually got it all set up and working correctly, and my discoveries once I had

Cheers, Leon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page