Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1831 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Surround sound speakers question:

I browsed through the thread and read that H3, H5 and H7 are compatible for add in rear speakers (tho has some discrete channel issue). My question is:

Are the other music flow speakers also compatible?

E.g. P5, P7, any speakers that are music flow compatible in 2016 2017?

Anybody has the experience?

Thanks a million
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup View Post

I browsed through the thread and read that H3, H5 and H7 are compatible for add in rear speakers (tho has some discrete channel issue). My question is:

Thanks a million
Yes I think so. LG actually answered this on Best Buy’s website under the answered questions section for the SJ9. Go check there, it’ll take a moment to look through but it’s there, I forget the models they listed.
post #1833 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First off, new user here. This thread has been very helpful and I ended up getting an LG SK9Y with a 5 port HDMI switch for my devices, everything has been working great... except for one minor issue I encountered last night.

When I got the SK9Y one of the first things I did was connect it to wifi via the LG WiFi speaker app and updated the firmware. I enjoyed the extra settings the app gives you. A couple of days later my Asus router failed and I replaced it with a Google Wifi unit. Last night I went to mess with the settings on my soundbar and saw it wasn't connected to wifi anymore, so I attempted to reconnect to no avail. It finds the soundbar via bluetooth initially, but when I go to the next screen to have it connect to my wifi it immediately returns with "connection failed". It doesn't even seem to try to connect. I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this issue by doing the following:
  • Powercycled sound bar.
    Reset sound bar by holding the wifi button 5+ seconds until you here the chime
    Unplugged soundbar from power for about 30-40 seconds
    Reinstalled the app
    Tried connecting the soundbar to another WiFi source
    Hard-wired the sound bar, was able to access it on the app and tried to do a simple settings reset there and connect to wifi again

None of the above troubleshooting steps worked and I'm at a loss for what I can try next, any ideas? Is there a way to factory reset the soundbar to go back to the original firmware?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Just out of curiosity...do you people prefer auto volume on or off? Seems autovolume is better for dialog but then you miss those moments sound really goes up...i been using off lately.
post #1835 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Just out of curiosity...do you people prefer auto volume on or off? Seems autovolume is better for dialog but then you miss those moments sound really goes up...i been using off lately.
It’s good for TV or late night watching or for when my fiancée is home and throwing a fit I have the soundbar so loud. I prefer not to use it though when I’m watching movies with good action.
post #1836 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OK finally ordered two H7's it will be delivered by next week but I forgot to ask does it only work as rears if the device I am using is directly connected to SJ9?
post #1837 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup View Post

Thanks a million
The P series speakers are bluetooth only speakers (with the exception of a 3.5 jack) and will not work as rear surround speakers with the SJ9. I have seen the occasional report that they were supposed to but they most definitely do not. Only the network connected speakers (H series) will function as rear surrounds.
post #1838 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
OK finally ordered two H7's it will be delivered by next week but I forgot to ask does it only work as rears if the device I am using is directly connected to SJ9?
No. ARC also works.
post #1839 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 PM

Any ideas what's going on with my issue I posted about above fellas? Appreciate any insight you may have.
post #1840 of 1987 Old 06-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
No. ARC also works.
Cool thanks! I guess I can hold off buying a HDMI switch since I only have 1 atmos compatible device.
post #1841 of 1987 Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 AM

I've read about 5 pages of this thread and I'm still a bit confused as to adding rear speakers to the SJ9. Are there wireless speakers that can function as discrete rear-left/rear-right speakers that work with this? And the SPJ4-S still don't work with the SJ9 correct?

The H3's will connect but not serve as discrete RL/RR, but will connect and play both right and left simultaneously (but not individually)?

I'd really like to add some rears, but want to make sure I get something that works properly.

Thanks for any help. 62 pages is a bit much to digest.
post #1842 of 1987 Old 06-30-2018, 09:26 PM

Fixed my issue. After the firmware update the Android app would not work to reconnect my soundbar to wifi. Tried it on an iPhone and it worked fine. Seems LG needs to update the Android app.
post #1843 of 1987 Old 06-30-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamvsMaximvs View Post
I've read about 5 pages of this thread and I'm still a bit confused as to adding rear speakers to the SJ9. Are there wireless speakers that can function as discrete rear-left/rear-right speakers that work with this? And the SPJ4-S still don't work with the SJ9 correct?

The H3's will connect but not serve as discrete RL/RR, but will connect and play both right and left simultaneously (but not individually)?

I'd really like to add some rears, but want to make sure I get something that works properly.

Thanks for any help. 62 pages is a bit much to digest.
The rear speakers can do discrete on some modes e.g. movie. Make sure you update the firmware on all the speakers. Having a set of rear speakers improves the soundstage drastically, discrete or not.
post #1844 of 1987 Old 07-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Hi, sorry about your issues. I can’t imagine trying anything you haven’t tried! I had an issue won’t with connecting to WiFi, but after the 2nd try it worked.
post #1845 of 1987 Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all, first time poster. I am encountering an issue (or at least I think I am) with my Xbox One X and the LG SJ9. I have the Xbox connected to the HDMI in port and the SJ9 to the ARC port of my LG B7A. I am getting audio, ATMOS seems to work just fine, but for some reason I am not getting ANY menu sounds through my Xbox UI, besides hitting LB/RB to swap pages. I know it's an odd thing to worry about, but I'm curious if that's just how the bar is or if there's something I'm missing, or it's just defective. I tested it on another 5.1 non ATMOS bar (Samsung N650) and everything was coming through just fine via the ARC pass-through. Any tips or confirmation that it's just how this bar works with the console?
post #1846 of 1987 Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiie View Post
The rear speakers can do discrete on some modes e.g. movie. Make sure you update the firmware on all the speakers. Having a set of rear speakers improves the soundstage drastically, discrete or not.
Thanks Tomiie,

Just ordered a set of H3 speakers, hopefully everything goes smoothly
post #1847 of 1987 Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I gotta laugt at myself a little. I've had this soundbar for couple of weeks. I've been happy.

Couple of days ago was the first time I watched a movie with Dolby Atmos. When Atmos signal is being fed to the soundbar it overrides user settings. In the very beginning of the movie one of my favorite songs played end I was amazed at the audio quality. A little bit of fiddling later I realized I had "Night Mode" on this whole time. Turned it off and wow, what a difference.

Also realized I had Auto Volume on. For example when I watched Saving Private Ryan I wondered why the action scenes weren't any louder than the talking scenes. Turning auto volume off helped. It's actually pretty good feature during the night but normally I want to really feel the action and have the volume go up when it's supposed to.
post #1848 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does anyone know how to default the SJ9 to a certain input when its turned on?

I have my xbox one plugged into it and via HDMI arc have it hooked up to my LG Oled as well as an optical cable. It defaults to optical which is not what I want because it can't pass through ATMOS.

I have set my xbox to sync with my sound bar and TV so when it turns on the TV and soundbar turn on automatically. I just don't want to constantly have to switch the input to HDMI when it turns on.

Would removing the optical cable and only have the HDMI plugged in do this?
post #1849 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi 👋
I would buy 2 rear speakers to add a real surround effect to my lg sj9.
What speakers do you suggest me to buy?
What speakers are compatible with left/right rear surround?

Ps. actually, what is last firmware version of our sj9? Thank you.
post #1850 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamvsMaximvs View Post
Thanks Tomiie,

Just ordered a set of H3 speakers, hopefully everything goes smoothly
No worries. I managed to source a brand new pair of H3s when I got the SJ9. Pretty happy with it. Without rear speakers, all the sound is literally in front of you. It was pretty disappointing when I first got the soundbar. My TV has a much wider soundstage. Lol.
post #1851 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccic View Post
Hi 👋

I bought the H7s as someone suggested it a few pages back its going to arrive this saturday I wanted the smaller H3 but sold out everywhere. hopefully everything works.
post #1852 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Ok please share your experience with us 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Quote:
Hi 👋

I bought the H7s as someone suggested it a few pages back its going to arrive this saturday I wanted the smaller H3 but sold out everywhere. hopefully everything works.
post #1853 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Hello,
I recently bought my LG Sj9 Soundbar. and i connected it with my
LG tv 55uk6100PVA

When i turn on any dolby atmos video and click on the info button in the remote control it does not say dolby atmos it only shows that it is dolby audio...is there a way to set it up? or do i need to get a device that supports dolby atmos such us Xbox One and Apple tv?
post #1854 of 1987 Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I’ve successfully connected a pair of H5’s as rear speakers using only WiFi on all devices and it works great. Even in atmos I’m getting the surround speakers sound correctly and not getting a mix like some users have said before.
post #1855 of 1987 Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozg3b View Post
I’ve successfully connected a pair of H5’s as rear speakers using only WiFi on all devices and it works great. Even in atmos I’m getting the surround speakers sound correctly and not getting a mix like some users have said before.
Very good new for me... thanks for sharing. I'm in Italy and it's hard for me to find them.
post #1856 of 1987 Old 07-04-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Ok please share your experience with us 🙂
I have H3s and H7s. They are all working well. H7s are too big in my opinion. I am using them for multiroom audio. They do pack a punch. It is a pitty that LG decided to ditch their whole line of speakers. So much potential.

I'm quite sure the discrete channels have some form of software manipulation/implementation. It is not 100% but it still beats having no rear speakers at all.

I never have any wifi issues in general. I'm using the Asus RT-AC88U router with Merlin's firmware and the SJ9 is connected via LAN.
post #1857 of 1987 Old 07-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alig607 View Post
Hello,
I recently bought my LG Sj9 Soundbar. and i connected it with my
LG tv 55uk6100PVA

When i turn on any dolby atmos video and click on the info button in the remote control it does not say dolby atmos it only shows that it is dolby audio...is there a way to set it up? or do i need to get a device that supports dolby atmos such us Xbox One and Apple tv?
No one knows the answer?
post #1858 of 1987 Old 07-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alig607 View Post
No one knows the answer?
You have to connect the soundbar via HDMI if you want to get Atmos from the TV built-in apps.

Though I’m not sure if your TV supports Dolby Atmos. If that is the case then you will have to get a device that supports it and connect it straight to your soundbar HDMI input.

Last edited by marcozg3b; 07-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #1859 of 1987 Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv15xbmc View Post
Does anyone know how to default the SJ9 to a certain input when its turned on?

I have my xbox one plugged into it and via HDMI arc have it hooked up to my LG Oled as well as an optical cable. It defaults to optical which is not what I want because it can't pass through ATMOS.

I have set my xbox to sync with my sound bar and TV so when it turns on the TV and soundbar turn on automatically. I just don't want to constantly have to switch the input to HDMI when it turns on.

Would removing the optical cable and only have the HDMI plugged in do this?
It has been awhile, but I recall that when I set up my system I had the same issue, if anything is plugged into the optical the soundbar would always default to the optical input at power on, so disconnected the optical.
post #1860 of 1987 Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
It has been awhile, but I recall that when I set up my system I had the same issue, if anything is plugged into the optical the soundbar would always default to the optical input at power on, so disconnected the optical.
Thanks. Will try that.

Also, does anyone know if the H3/5/7 speakers are DTS/Atmos/etc compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page