Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #1861 of 1987 Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv15xbmc View Post
Thanks. Will try that.

Also, does anyone know if the H3/5/7 speakers are DTS/Atmos/etc compatible?
Its the actual unit that does the decoding of the signal not the speaker.

Now the all the speakers work with Atmos and general dolby signal and dts(although they are not upfiring speakers), i know this as i have the H3's.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

Also i received my H3's yesterday, im from the UK and getting hold of any retail was pretty much impossible, so i got two of them second hand in great condition for £130.

Now the H3 speakers are very powerful for what they are and really good just on their own tbh for listening to music or whatever. I plan to use them in other rooms when i have parties etc.

I connected them up to the sound bar with relative ease and they sound great, well worth it IMO.

Also when i connected them to the sound bar, the app must have registered they were in the system and popped up another firmware update for the sound bar.

They also work in discrete L/R mode in movie mode too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1987 Old 07-07-2018, 05:03 AM

cant seem to edit my post above.....

Only problem i have found is that i get popping distortion of sound every now and then when using wireless with them connected to the sound bar. Never get this when using them on their own connected on wireless.

so i have ordered some flat cat6 cables and that will solve the problem im sure.
post #1863 of 1987 Old 07-07-2018, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer86 View Post

Only problem i have found is that i get popping distortion of sound every now and then when using wireless with them connected to the sound bar. Never get this when using them on their own connected on wireless.

so i have ordered some flat cat6 cables and that will solve the problem im sure.
Yes, that is a known problem with those speakers.
It was probably intoduced with the latest/last firmware update for those speakers in early 2017.
And yes that particular problem will be gone when wired.

Last edited by utility73; 07-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 1987 Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer86 View Post

Did you try changing the Mess Network Channel to another channel with no interference?

I'm using a 5 Ghz channel which nobody is using. Do a WiFi scan first to look for a free channel.
post #1865 of 1987 Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 AM

Hi all.

I have a LG C6 and SJ9. The setup is DirectTv to Xbox One S, output to the SJ9 then TV. Recently my soundbar is always on Dolby Atmos even with non Atmos sources. Then it will show Atmos Not Supported and then plays normal sound. When there is Atmos supported media, it plays Atmos. I cannot change the sound effect with the remote at all anymore. I assume this is due to an update but I’m unsure.

The biggest issues that seem to be cropping up more and more are the sound dropping out, and black screens when switching sources. I have changed nothing and they only seem to be getting worse and more consistent. As far as the sound dropping out, it will randomly drop or skip sound and the message Dolby Atmos not supported will flash by. This is while watching TV, YouTube etc. Sometimes, it won’t come back and I have to either cycle the inputs or shut everything off and turn it on again. This usually solves the problem but it is somewhat aggravating.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated and thank you in advance!
post #1866 of 1987 Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Liked: 18
Hey guys finally received my H7s and yes they are hella huge!!! If only H3 are still available.

So far I’ve been using wifi had a lot of hiccups at first but managed to make it work without dropping.

I have a few question for the guys with the same set up.

1.) How do you turn off the speaker? Or just leave it with the purle light in it on standby?

2.)How do you guys adjust/calibrate the volume?? manually?

3.) any tips that you can give to make the set up better. Thanks!
post #1867 of 1987 Old 07-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Hey guys finally received my H7s and yes they are hella huge!!! If only H3 are still available.

So far I’ve been using wifi had a lot of hiccups at first but managed to make it work without dropping.

1.) How do you turn off the speaker? Or just leave it with the purle light in it on standby?

*I always leave em on. I, for one, do not like having em on with stereo content, so I disengage them from the surround setup when watching stereo content. I do it with the app.

With stereo content (with them connected in surround mode) -- It's just the same sound coming from behind you as from the front. If you can tolerate it, leave em connected.

*I used a sound meter app and a YouTube video with a constant tone and tested volume differences from my main sitting position. I sit much closer to the rears, so I have the front speakers at plus 4 over the rears.
post #1868 of 1987 Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post

*I always leave em on. I, for one, do not like having em on with stereo content, so I disengage them from the surround setup when watching stereo content. I do it with the app.

With stereo content (with them connected in surround mode) -- It's just the same sound coming from behind you as from the front. If you can tolerate it, leave em connected.

*I used a sound meter app and a YouTube video with a constant tone and tested volume differences from my main sitting position. I sit much closer to the rears, so I have the front
speakers at plus 4 over the rears.
Cool thanks its kinda hard to balance the volume levels without visuals I guess I’ll have to try that app method.

For some reason I can’t find the speakers when connecting it directly to the ethernet it always says that there’s no connected multi-speakers.
post #1869 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I’m finding with the SJ9 I continuously need to put on auto vol because the dialogue is so low and the action scenes are too high. I don’t think I ever had this problem with a proper 5.1 set up I think because the sound was split evenly amongst other speakers. Any thoughts as to what I’m experiencing?
post #1870 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does having auto vol on ruin the audio track in terms of the clarity and dynamics for things like atmos?
post #1871 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Does having auto vol on ruin the audio track in terms of the clarity and dynamics for things like atmos?
atmos doesn’t use auto volume, atmos will not let you change ANY settings. Otherwise a uto volume clips everything to one volume. I use it when I watch TV and I just want to hear the voices and then 12-14 is easily enjoyable. Otherwise it’s mostly enjoyable, some movies seem to have weak dialogue.

Last edited by 3Dhereicome; 07-09-2018 at 05:58 AM.
post #1872 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
In atmos mode auto volume is not supported. I prefer to keep auto vol off though these days.
post #1873 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I’m finding with the SJ9 I continuously need to put on auto vol because the dialogue is so low and the action scenes are too high. I don’t think I ever had this problem with a proper 5.1 set up I think because the sound was split evenly amongst other speakers. Any thoughts as to what I’m experiencing?
As others have said, auto volume clips frequencies,
and while it makes the overall volume louder, it’s mush.
It’s a form of compression that should be off. I too
had issues with dialogue being drowned out some w the
SK 9Y, has the same issue with the new ‘10’ until
a firmware update that allowed EQ control
of the center speaker. Both bars are solid performers,
the 10 w the Meridian technology is excellent.
Paul
post #1874 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
As others have said, auto volume clips frequencies,
and while it makes the overall volume louder, it’s mush.
It’s a form of compression that should be off. I too
had issues with dialogue being drowned out some w the
SK 9Y, has the same issue with the new ‘10’ until
a firmware update that allowed EQ control
of the center speaker. Both bars are solid performers,
the 10 w the Meridian technology is excellent.
Paul
Yep, similar update would be nice touch for sj9 also. One can always hope.
post #1875 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Yep, similar update would be nice touch for sj9 also. One can always hope.
Definitely had issues w dialogue with the ‘9’
as well as lip sync issues which likely was more due to
the firmware version of the OLED. Lip sync problems went
away with the SK 10Y but voices/dialogue
being squashed was a big problem because
the ‘10’ has a wider more immersive sound field
compared to the ‘9’. Many owners were relentless
w LG posting about the problem on social media,
their own website and those of retailers like Best Buy.
Gotta give them credit after about six weeks
or so they updated the firmware to allow users
to boost the volume of the center speaker and
it made an incredible difference. Seeing the
10 is out might be too late to lobby for the
9 but can’t hurt to try.
Paul
post #1876 of 1987 Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM

To the folks that used the H7s as rears speakers what stand or table are you guys using contemplating to return mine due to their awkward shape and size
post #1877 of 1987 Old 07-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, i also just got the sk9y and like it alot. But so far, i am noticing a few issues.

1. every now and then, i do get the occasional pop or sound drop for half a second and then back to normal.
2. lip and audio does not sync when i use arc. And even worse is the "av sync' button on the remote can delay the audio but doesn't go the other way. WTF ?? or am i missing something?
3. most audio that i get from the HDMI IN appear to be PCM if it's not atmos conten. Is that 5.1 ? i feels like it's just stereo.

i like the sound bar a lot and it looks nice too. but anyone can assist me of these problems would be great.
post #1878 of 1987 Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfromNH View Post
Hi all.

I have a LG C6 and SJ9. The setup is DirectTv to Xbox One S, output to the SJ9 then TV. Recently my soundbar is always on Dolby Atmos even with non Atmos sources. Then it will show Atmos Not Supported and then plays normal sound. When there is Atmos supported media, it plays Atmos. I cannot change the sound effect with the remote at all anymore. I assume this is due to an update but I’m unsure.

The biggest issues that seem to be cropping up more and more are the sound dropping out, and black screens when switching sources. I have changed nothing and they only seem to be getting worse and more consistent. As far as the sound dropping out, it will randomly drop or skip sound and the message Dolby Atmos not supported will flash by. This is while watching TV, YouTube etc. Sometimes, it won’t come back and I have to either cycle the inputs or shut everything off and turn it on again. This usually solves the problem but it is somewhat aggravating.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated and thank you in advance!
The XBOX system sound has been updated to use a base track of Atmos at all times. It then places the game/dashboard sounds into that base track to give Atmos at all times. As I understand it, game music is not 'real' Atmos unless the source was also Atmos, but it prevents audio receivers (like your SJ9) from switching in/out of atmos whenever a dashboard sound would play. Originally, that's how it worked so anytime you got a notification (like an achievement) the soundbar would all of a sudden see an Atmos track from the Xbox, and try to switch -- but by the time the soundbar could switch, the notification was already done playing, and would have to immediately switch back to non-atmos. This caused the sound to basically just cut out and stutter quite often as it switched back and forth.

Anyway, what it means is that you lose the ability to use the 'modes' and auto-vol, etc on the LG SJ9 with this base Atmos track. You could probably turn off Atmos in the Audio settings, but I haven't cared enough to try.
post #1879 of 1987 Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenix View Post
Hey guys, i also just got the sk9y and like it alot. But so far, i am noticing a few issues.

1. every now and then, i do get the occasional pop or sound drop for half a second and then back to normal.
2. lip and audio does not sync when i use arc. And even worse is the "av sync' button on the remote can delay the audio but doesn't go the other way. WTF ?? or am i missing something?
3. most audio that i get from the HDMI IN appear to be PCM if it's not atmos conten. Is that 5.1 ? i feels like it's just stereo.

i like the sound bar a lot and it looks nice too. but anyone can assist me of these problems would be great.
For item 1 & 2 they can be from configuration issues between your tv and soundbar, you do not say what TV you have, how it is connected to the soundbar and other devices you have and if they are connected to the tv or soundbar. So more configuration information would be helpful.

Item 3. PCM is just stereo, the screen on the soundbar will show Dolby when it gets a dolby signal, so the device you connected to the soundbar HDMI in is probably not outputting bitstream.

Also make sure you have updated the firmware on the soundbar, tv and other devices and do a power reset of all devices after a firmware update.
post #1880 of 1987 Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oki so i own an Lg tv and it does’nt support atmos and i was thinking to go with one of these 3 options
1- xbox one S :i dont game that much but it would be nice to have a console that can support atmos and also play blu-ray movies

2- Get an Av receiver???does it work?

3- get an apple 4k tv

What do you guys suggest me to get?
post #1881 of 1987 Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skola28 View Post
The XBOX system sound has been updated to use a base track of Atmos at all times. It then places the game/dashboard sounds into that base track to give Atmos at all times. As I understand it, game music is not 'real' Atmos unless the source was also Atmos, but it prevents audio receivers (like your SJ9) from switching in/out of atmos whenever a dashboard sound would play. Originally, that's how it worked so anytime you got a notification (like an achievement) the soundbar would all of a sudden see an Atmos track from the Xbox, and try to switch -- but by the time the soundbar could switch, the notification was already done playing, and would have to immediately switch back to non-atmos. This caused the sound to basically just cut out and stutter quite often as it switched back and forth.

Anyway, what it means is that you lose the ability to use the 'modes' and auto-vol, etc on the LG SJ9 with this base Atmos track. You could probably turn off Atmos in the Audio settings, but I haven't cared enough to try.
Okay yeah that makes sense. Still, just last night I switched from Forza back to TV (DirectTv) and it went to a screen saver. I could hear the sound of my controller but no screen. Turned the SJ9 off, then on. Same thing. Did it again same thing. Turned TV and SJ9 off. Same thing. Cycled the inputs. Same thing. Finally I had to physically unplug the SJ9 from the surge protector, then after plugging it back in...voila pefectly fine again. Also, being able to completely turn thr SJ9 off period without having to remove the plug would be nice.

These problems happen roughly 30 pecent of the time. It makes no sense whatsoever. There seems to be no consistency.

Thank you for your reply!
post #1882 of 1987 Old 07-14-2018, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfromNH View Post
Okay yeah that makes sense. Still, just last night I switched from Forza back to TV (DirectTv) and it went to a screen saver. I could hear the sound of my controller but no screen. Turned the SJ9 off, then on. Same thing. Did it again same thing. Turned TV and SJ9 off. Same thing. Cycled the inputs. Same thing. Finally I had to physically unplug the SJ9 from the surge protector, then after plugging it back in...voila pefectly fine again. Also, being able to completely turn thr SJ9 off period without having to remove the plug would be nice.

These problems happen roughly 30 pecent of the time. It makes no sense whatsoever. There seems to be no consistency.

Thank you for your reply!
Happens to me from time to time as well. Physically unplugging the sound bar is the only thing that fixes some issues. Specifically, when the HDMI Out just stops working.

I wish the SJ9 HDMI OUT would simply output the HDMI IN constantly -- so I don't need to select HDMI OUT for the video to come out.
post #1883 of 1987 Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skola28 View Post
Happens to me from time to time as well. Physically unplugging the sound bar is the only thing that fixes some issues. Specifically, when the HDMI Out just stops working.

I wish the SJ9 HDMI OUT would simply output the HDMI IN constantly -- so I don't need to select HDMI OUT for the video to come out.
Man. Glad that I’m not alone but man thats frustrating. Years of use with my old Harmon Kardon reciever and zero issues. Oled plus SJ9?Plenty of sound drop outs or screen protectors with no input detected floating around.

My question is this. LG OLED. LG Sound Bar. Neither of which are cheap by any strech and why there are these issues? Should be plug and play and in the rarest of circumstances issues may creep up. I hold my breath everytime I change from a game back to TV or Netflix etc. my other question is could this be an Xbox issue?
post #1884 of 1987 Old 07-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Sunday I bought this soundbar. I'm trying to set it up with my Sharp tv with HDMI ARC. But it's not working so far. I have put the ARC on in the tv settings but it's not working. Now i have the bar connected with a optical cable and that is working. Does anyone know how I can get the ARC working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180715_221229_1531840047407.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2429562  
post #1885 of 1987 Old 07-19-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleon View Post
Hey guys,

Sunday I bought this soundbar. I'm trying to set it up with my Sharp tv with HDMI ARC. But it's not working so far. I have put the ARC on in the tv settings but it's not working. Now i have the bar connected with a optical cable and that is working. Does anyone know how I can get the ARC working?
Most TV's have multiple settings related to HDMI/ARC, you need to dig into all the settings on your TV related to ARC. ARC is a very poor standard so often a soundbar and TV from different brands will not work together over ARC, but I would really play with your TV settings and try power resetting all devices (unplug AC power for 30 seconds) to make sure all HDMI handshakes reset.
post #1886 of 1987 Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Moving on to SK9Y for surround

After trying the H7's with the SJ9 for rear surround I was not happy with that solution so returned the H7's.

Buydig has their sale on again (coupon code TDL188) for the SK10Y & SK9Y so I bite the bullet and ordered the SK9Y and SPK8-S rear surrounds. I would of gotten the SK10Y for the price they had but at 65 inches wide it was a no go for my media room setup.

I really like the sound of the SJ9, but I really miss having true surround.
post #1887 of 1987 Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there...my subwoofer for SJ9 has been stolen and iam looking for replacement. What options do I have, can i use
other LG wireless subwoofer, please?
post #1888 of 1987 Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Burglar need to get educated on avs forum before stealing the subwoofer and leave the soundbar and remote behind!

Joke aside it sucks, I would contact LG who might overprice the replacement (if they even have it) or buy a used on eBay for cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1889 of 1987 Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I thought I read some reviews that stated the new LG SPK8-S rear surrounds also work with the SJ9...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #1890 of 1987 Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Got the SJ9 this weekend new for a discounted price at 600 pounds. Atmos is really cool, however it feels like rear speaker are needed for a better sound.

Few Q:
1. H3-h5, how does it sound has rear speaker? Any lag? Are they compatible atmos.
2. Would you recommend to return and get the SK9 (at ~700 refurbished) with the SPK8, or the H3 would be good enough.
3. LG SJ9/SK9/Sk10 users who jumped to Z9F (which is at ~650), what are your impressions? (especially regarding top speaker simulation).

It's a bit of shame that LG doesn't support old model (e.g. making the SJ9 compatible with the SPK8), especially given that the H3 are kinda hard to find. The SJ9 being identical to the SK9.

Thanks a lot for your advices !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page