Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 1987 Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledshot View Post
Got the SJ9 this weekend new for a discounted price at 600 pounds. Atmos is really cool, however it feels like rear speaker are needed for a better sound.

Few Q:
1. H3-h5, how does it sound has rear speaker? Any lag? Are they compatible atmos.
2. Would you recommend to return and get the SK9 (at ~700 refurbished) with the SPK8, or the H3 would be good enough.
3. LG SJ9/SK9/Sk10 users who jumped to Z9F (which is at ~650), what are your impressions? (especially regarding top speaker simulation).

It's a bit of shame that LG doesn't support old model (e.g. making the SJ9 compatible with the SPK8), especially given that the H3 are kinda hard to find. The SJ9 being identical to the SK9.

Thanks a lot for your advices !
1. I found that solution not acceptable for me, returned the H7's and have now bought the SK9Y and have the SPK8-S speakers on the way.
2. Absolutely, in my opinion, but I just set up the SK9Y yesterday and don't have the SPK8-S yet.

My first impression of the SK9Y is that it has been totally re-engineered, it is not simply a rebadge of the SJ9. Both the soundbar and sub have different UL current draw ratings, even though the 500Watt rating is the same. The sub is totally different in size and design. The soundbar has additional features the SJ9 does not have, pause play button, can adjust not only treble, bass and sub level, it also have up firing speaker level (they call it OWC level) and center channel level and rear speaker level all from the remote.

The soundfields have been totally redone, on the SJ9 you usually used Movie mode, the SK9Y has totally different soundfields so still playing with them to see what is best for various sources. The SK9Y just totally sounds different from the SJ9, but I can't say yet that it sounds better until I get all the settings tweaked, can't wait to use it with the SPK8-S for true surround.

The SK9Y uses a new app from LG, LG WI-FI app, not the MusicFlow app that the SJ9 uses. The new app LG WI-FI does not work with the SJ9 either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SK9Y play pause button (Medium).jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	2434890   Click image for larger version

Name:	SK9Y remote on right (Medium).jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2434892   Click image for larger version

Name:	SK9Y sub on left (Medium).jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2434896  
Terrestrial is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 1987 Old 08-02-2018, 02:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

just got my new LG C8 OLED TV and connected my LG SJ9 sound bar to it. Unfortunately I experience severe delay for any Dolby Atmos audio from Xbox One X. I´d say it´s probably off about half a second. Configuring the Xbox to use DD instead of Atmos results in almost perfect audio sync, only a very very minimal delay is noticeable.

The connection is as follows:
Xbox One X -> TV HDMI1
LG SJ9 -> TV HDMI2 (ARC)

Figured out that the Atmos delay is basically gone when hooking up the Xbox to the LG SJ9 "HDMI IN". Makes me think that the issue is not with the Xbox, but with the LG TV ARC feature.

Is this a known issue? I´d hate to lose the ARC option as this would mean using the sound bar remote all the time to switch to the Xbox as a source. Thank for any hints.
bharald is offline  
post #1893 of 1987 Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I followed up on your advice, and upgraded to the sk9.

Yes, I agree with you! The bar has a more pronounced surround (it is way less front heavy than the sj9). Clarity wise it was also day and night (it is way less muchy), and it was easier to spacialise the sound.

Pretty happy about this upgrade. I also tried the spk8, and it was a delight to watch atmos or even dts movie (the renevant sounded great)
untitledshot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1894 of 1987 Old 08-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledshot View Post
I followed up on your advice, and upgraded to the sk9.

Yes, I agree with you! The bar has a more pronounced surround (it is way less front heavy than the sj9). Clarity wise it was also day and night (it is way less muchy), and it was easier to spacialise the sound.

Pretty happy about this upgrade. I also tried the spk8, and it was a delight to watch atmos or even dts movie (the renevant sounded great)
I just set up the rears (SPK8-S) yesterday and dived into the movies last night. Wow, I am so happy I upgraded from the SJ9. Surround works very well with 7.1 and ATMOS, not really liking the way they implemented 5.1 surround but can live with it. Still determining the best sound field setting for sources, looks like the Standard sound setting is where it sounds best to me, of course ATMOS does it own thing, so you just go with what the bar wants to do. Being able to set the center channel level and upward sound level (OWC) is a great add, but really makes dialing in settings complicated, wish there was some better way to do that then by ear.
Terrestrial is offline  
post #1895 of 1987 Old 08-05-2018, 02:46 AM
Newbie
 
kenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, Quick question. Due to limited space for my subwoofer, If i place my sub between two object, would that be okay. Meaning i only have about half an inch of space on each side of the sub. (dropping my sub right in the middle of my tv-stand and a book case.
kenix is offline  
post #1896 of 1987 Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenix View Post
Hi guys, Quick question. Due to limited space for my subwoofer, If i place my sub between two object, would that be okay. Meaning i only have about half an inch of space on each side of the sub. (dropping my sub right in the middle of my tv-stand and a book case.
Where you place the sub will affect its bass performance, so cramming it in between two items is not ideal, but as long as it sounds good to you it will work. I have noticed that some mids are pushed to the sub, so having it close to the tv stand is better than moving it to somewhere else in the room to improve bass response.
Terrestrial is offline  
post #1897 of 1987 Old 08-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone -- I got the SK9Y a couple months back. I'm trying to mount it to my Mantel Mount MM540 soundbar bracket. It looks like the Mantel Mount wants to screw into the 4 blue holes at the bottom whereas the soundbar wants to screw into the 2 red holes in the middle. Have you guys run into this issue mounting yours or have any ideas?



Thanks!
mtchang07 is offline  
post #1898 of 1987 Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchang07 View Post
Hey everyone -- I got the SK9Y a couple months back. I'm trying to mount it to my Mantel Mount MM540 soundbar bracket. It looks like the Mantel Mount wants to screw into the 4 blue holes at the bottom whereas the soundbar wants to screw into the 2 red holes in the middle. Have you guys run into this issue mounting yours or have any ideas?



Thanks!
Looks like my picture didn't attach. Trying again ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2438346  
mtchang07 is offline  
post #1899 of 1987 Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Super quick question!! So I bought some cat6 ethernet cables to connect my sj9 and h7 how would I know if they are already connected via the ethernet? I am trying to add them but it always says that it cannot be found not sure if it is still connected to wifi.
aero29 is offline  
post #1900 of 1987 Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 AM
Senior Member
 
liberator72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Sunny (when it's not raining) Devon, U.K.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Super quick question!! So I bought some cat6 ethernet cables to connect my sj9 and h7 how would I know if they are already connected via the ethernet? I am trying to add them but it always says that it cannot be found not sure if it is still connected to wifi.
I had trouble initially when going this route. What I found I had to do was factory reset the Soundbar and both H7's then power them all down. I started by setting up the soundbar first via ethernet, then connecting powering up each H7 individually in turn to set up, making sure the other was powered down in the process. Renaming each speaker during the setup process made things a little easier to identify once all three were connected.

As a side note, my router only has 2 ethernet ports, so I have everything running through a D-Link 8 port unmanaged gigabit network switch (fairly inexpensive piece of kit), and the performance has been faultless since going this route.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Leon
liberator72 is online now  
post #1901 of 1987 Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfromNH View Post
Man. Glad that I’m not alone but man thats frustrating. Years of use with my old Harmon Kardon reciever and zero issues. Oled plus SJ9?Plenty of sound drop outs or screen protectors with no input detected floating around.

My question is this. LG OLED. LG Sound Bar. Neither of which are cheap by any strech and why there are these issues? Should be plug and play and in the rarest of circumstances issues may creep up. I hold my breath everytime I change from a game back to TV or Netflix etc. my other question is could this be an Xbox issue?
Signed up just to respond to this. I also have the exact same issues with my SJ9/LG C7. Going from HDR>SDR or vice versa or anything that resend a video signal will often make sound or video drop out. Have to go out of HDMI In on the soundbar and then change back to get it working again. This is while connecting an Xbox One X to HDMI in.

A couple days ago I couldn't even get a signal at all after turning on my Xbox, so I just gave up and now run everything through ARC. It's also annoying that in order to not get sound coming from both the sound bar and the TV while using HDMI In, you have to choose headphone mode through the TV audio settings. Not nearly as automatic or hassle free as just using ARC.

I'm not sure what's the cause of these handshake issues, but apparently the US version of the 7 series OLEDs received a firmware update to deal with input loss with Dolby sources. Nothing like that in Europe yet.
Sky87 is offline  
post #1902 of 1987 Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
I had trouble initially when going this route. What I found I had to do was factory reset the Soundbar and both H7's then power them all down. I started by setting up the soundbar first via ethernet, then connecting powering up each H7 individually in turn to set up, making sure the other was powered down in the process. Renaming each speaker during the setup process made things a little easier to identify once all three were connected.

As a side note, my router only has 2 ethernet ports, so I have everything running through a D-Link 8 port unmanaged gigabit network switch (fairly inexpensive piece of kit), and the performance has been faultless since going this route.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Leon
Hey Leon thanks! I think I did that factory reset is by holding the + button until it beeps right? and then its going to show up in the app as a new speaker. checked my router connection all 3 says its connected via ethernet but the distorted sound everytime I hover to a movie and plays a trailer (Netflix TV app) it always starts with a short "bzzzt" sound is that normal? I thought that it would go away after connected to a wired connection. I never really had problems going wireless but I wanted to get rid of that short distorted sound sometimes its coming from the left H7 or right sometimes both.
aero29 is offline  
post #1903 of 1987 Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
liberator72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Sunny (when it's not raining) Devon, U.K.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Hey Leon thanks! I think I did that factory reset is by holding the + button until it beeps right? and then its going to show up in the app as a new speaker. checked my router connection all 3 says its connected via ethernet but the distorted sound everytime I hover to a movie and plays a trailer (Netflix TV app) it always starts with a short "bzzzt" sound is that normal? I thought that it would go away after connected to a wired connection. I never really had problems going wireless but I wanted to get rid of that short distorted sound sometimes its coming from the left H7 or right sometimes both.
Sorry to hear you're still having that issue.

All I can tell you is that when I initially got the SJ9 and H7's to pair with my C7V OLED, I had the main bar connected via ethernet into a R1 MusicFlow hub, and the H7's connected wireless through the LG MESH network, and I had nothing but trouble. Continuous sound dropouts, speaker disconnects, unstable connections. It was terrible considering the amount it all cost (here in the U.K. the SJ9 was reduced at the time but MusicFlow surrounds are rare as rocking horse turd and expensive). It didn't matter whether I was running directly through the HDMI in port on the bar, or via ARC through the display, sound was unstable.

I already had a 5 port gigabit network switch, so I upgraded that to an 8 port one, I also added in a 5 port, full 18Gps, 4K HDR HDMI switch and ran everything into the HDMI IN port on the bar, connected each of the speakers individually via ethernet (note, when doing this I first factory reset each one, and then added each one whilst ensuring the others were disconnected from the power at the time, ensuring there was no way there could be any confusion in connecting them via ethernet or wireless), and I can honestly say I have had never had an issue since. I definitely do not have the issue you are describing, and although I use the Apple TV 4K for my main Netflix viewing (it spools up to it's highest quality a lot quicker than the inbuilt TV app), I do use the TV app on a nightly basis and have never heard the buzz you are describing.

I'm not saying the SJ9 is faultless, there are for sure some niggling gripes I have with it. I was hoping for an update to appear so that individual speakers could be adjusted such as the SK9Y can, considering they basically the same soundbar rebranded. And MOVIE mode when connected to rear surrounds definitely needs fixing as the 2 rears play the same sounds instead of individual left and right rears. Other than that, once I got it setup the way I have described, I have been very happy with it.

I hope you manage to solve your issue,
Regards, Leon
aero29 likes this.
liberator72 is online now  
post #1904 of 1987 Old 08-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Hey Leon thanks! I think I did that factory reset is by holding the + button until it beeps right? and then its going to show up in the app as a new speaker. checked my router connection all 3 says its connected via ethernet but the distorted sound everytime I hover to a movie and plays a trailer (Netflix TV app) it always starts with a short "bzzzt" sound is that normal? I thought that it would go away after connected to a wired connection. I never really had problems going wireless but I wanted to get rid of that short distorted sound sometimes its coming from the left H7 or right sometimes both.
Sorry to hear you're still having that issue.

All I can tell you is that when I initially got the SJ9 and H7's to pair with my C7V OLED, I had the main bar connected via ethernet into a R1 MusicFlow hub, and the H7's connected wireless through the LG MESH network, and I had nothing but trouble. Continuous sound dropouts, speaker disconnects, unstable connections. It was terrible considering the amount it all cost (here in the U.K. the SJ9 was reduced at the time but MusicFlow surrounds are rare as rocking horse turd and expensive). It didn't matter whether I was running directly through the HDMI in port on the bar, or via ARC through the display, sound was unstable.

I already had a 5 port gigabit network switch, so I upgraded that to an 8 port one, I also added in a 5 port, full 18Gps, 4K HDR HDMI switch and ran everything into the HDMI IN port on the bar, connected each of the speakers individually via ethernet (note, when doing this I first factory reset each one, and then added each one whilst ensuring the others were disconnected from the power at the time, ensuring there was no way there could be any confusion in connecting them via ethernet or wireless), and I can honestly say I have had never had an issue since. I definitely do not have the issue you are describing, and although I use the Apple TV 4K for my main Netflix viewing (it spools up to it's highest quality a lot quicker than the inbuilt TV app), I do use the TV app on a nightly basis and have never heard the buzz you are describing.

I'm not saying the SJ9 is faultless, there are for sure some niggling gripes I have with it. I was hoping for an update to appear so that individual speakers could be adjusted such as the SK9Y can, considering they basically the same soundbar rebranded. And MOVIE mode when connected to rear surrounds definitely needs fixing as the 2 rears play the same sounds instead of individual left and right rears. Other than that, once I got it setup the way I have described, I have been very happy with it.

I hope you manage to solve your issue,
Regards, Leon
I see. I guess I’ll try to do another factory reset and connect one by one. Sound wise I am happy with it I also bought a hdmi switch its the monoprice blackbird ultra slim to connect everything to the sj9 like you mentioned in an earlier post It made my life easy it auto switch the sj9 to arc when watching from tv apps and go back to hdmi in when using a connected device auto switches to whenever a device is turned on and gained lossless 5.1 surround on my consoles using PCM connection. Thanks again for the tips!
liberator72 likes this.
aero29 is offline  
post #1905 of 1987 Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky87 View Post
Signed up just to respond to this. I also have the exact same issues with my SJ9/LG C7. Going from HDR>SDR or vice versa or anything that resend a video signal will often make sound or video drop out. Have to go out of HDMI In on the soundbar and then change back to get it working again. This is while connecting an Xbox One X to HDMI in.

A couple days ago I couldn't even get a signal at all after turning on my Xbox, so I just gave up and now run everything through ARC. It's also annoying that in order to not get sound coming from both the sound bar and the TV while using HDMI In, you have to choose headphone mode through the TV audio settings. Not nearly as automatic or hassle free as just using ARC.

I'm not sure what's the cause of these handshake issues, but apparently the US version of the 7 series OLEDs received a firmware update to deal with input loss with Dolby sources. Nothing like that in Europe yet.
Its been a bit since I posted and the issue has cleared up a bit. By a bit I mean I don’t have as many issues with no signal detected when swapping HDR to SDR. The sound drops out at times, but I can now now power cycle the SJ9 and the sound comes back. It’s not perfect but for whatever reason manageable.

Its absolutely irritating for whatever reason.
JKfromNH is offline  
post #1906 of 1987 Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I have a quick question. I have SJ9 with two H7 rear speakers. The soundbar it self is 5.1.2 system but with two H7 connected is it 7.1.2 or stays 5.1.2? I wrote to LG but no answer was given. I am asking because there is Windows 10 Dolby Atmos setup where you can define your speaker system via check boxes. And one more , also regarding Windows 10 setup - are front speakers full range? H7 are full range aren't they? Anyone?

Regarding the hardware it plays really good. I use Netflix and play games and the sound rocks.
nitrooo is offline  
post #1907 of 1987 Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a SJ9 and wanted to check with someone of how I should connect it for best performance. I have a Samsung UE65KS7005 and if I understand it correctly it's unlikely that it will bypass Atmos-sound from a hardware point. So if I want Atmos sound I guess the Samsung built-in apps (everyone) are a no-go. I also have a Chromecast Ultra connected to the TV from where I watch Netflix for example. Should I put this in the SJ9 input HDMI? Will it extract the Atmos sound from Netflix (from Chromecast) and transfer the HDR-video to my TV? I also have a PS4 Pro, but rarely use for watching video and I haven't been able to read something about that games have Atmos sound. So this should make sense to connect to the TV by HDMI and have optical out to the SJ9. The same with my 720p TV-box, HDMI to the TV and output through the same optical. What do you think about this setup? Does it make sense? Any other suggestions? HDMI-hub? Will the TV change HDMI-input if I start something on the Chromecast Ultra in the SJ9? Will it work to change the volume on the SJ9 with the TV-remote?

I also use Plex to watch videos sometimes, can this handle Atmos and HDR through Chromecast (since the built-in apps in the TV probably can't forward Atmos)?

Thanks for any suggestions!
allwise is offline  
post #1908 of 1987 Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwise View Post
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a SJ9 and wanted to check with someone of how I should connect it for best performance. I have a Samsung UE65KS7005 and if I understand it correctly it's unlikely that it will bypass Atmos-sound from a hardware point. So if I want Atmos sound I guess the Samsung built-in apps (everyone) are a no-go. I also have a Chromecast Ultra connected to the TV from where I watch Netflix for example. Should I put this in the SJ9 input HDMI? Will it extract the Atmos sound from Netflix (from Chromecast) and transfer the HDR-video to my TV? I also have a PS4 Pro, but rarely use for watching video and I haven't been able to read something about that games have Atmos sound. So this should make sense to connect to the TV by HDMI and have optical out to the SJ9. The same with my 720p TV-box, HDMI to the TV and output through the same optical. What do you think about this setup? Does it make sense? Any other suggestions? HDMI-hub? Will the TV change HDMI-input if I start something on the Chromecast Ultra in the SJ9? Will it work to change the volume on the SJ9 with the TV-remote?

I also use Plex to watch videos sometimes, can this handle Atmos and HDR through Chromecast (since the built-in apps in the TV probably can't forward Atmos)?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Atmos will work if you directly connect the device into the sj9 passthrough. I have PSPRo and Xone connected to a HDMI switch that is connected to the SJ9 passthrough then sj9 to the TV both can play atmos tracks from vudu ( both consoles) and media disc,netflix xbone as long as the device supports atmos it shoulld be no problem as long as its you are using the passthrough.
aero29 is offline  
post #1909 of 1987 Old 08-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Member
 
paulhenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hope the below will help people.

Talking about switch for the sj9, I initially got the monoprice 4 in 1 switch supposedly able to pass:
- 4K @ 4.4.4 60hz
- Dolby vision
- Dolby Atmos

I was happy for a while but:
- it was slow to switch
- the remote is a joke
- the ir cable is a joke
-auto switch never worked
- it was expensive ($90!)

It broke down and only one input was working at end .

Great experience! Kudos to amazon to back up a non working product and take it back

With no hope at all, I tried this totally unknown brand on amazon Called roofull (sounds a lot like awful). They sell a 5 in 1 switch (wow!) for $46 supposedly with the same capability.

To my surprise it works (the 5 source), switch faster (it ain’t fast, it’s faster), and the remote works! And auto switch works if you don’t do stupid stuff like powering on everything at the same time.

So you can probably try this one if you have a lot of inputs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulhenta is offline  
post #1910 of 1987 Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
I hope the below will help people.

Talking about switch for the sj9, I initially got the monoprice 4 in 1 switch supposedly able to pass:
- 4K @ 4.4.4 60hz
- Dolby vision
- Dolby Atmos

I was happy for a while but:
- it was slow to switch
- the remote is a joke
- the ir cable is a joke
-auto switch never worked
- it was expensive ($90!)

It broke down and only one input was working at end .

Great experience! Kudos to amazon to back up a non working product and take it back

With no hope at all, I tried this totally unknown brand on amazon Called roofull (sounds a lot like awful). They sell a 5 in 1 switch (wow!) for $46 supposedly with the same capability.

To my surprise it works (the 5 source), switch faster (it ain’t fast, it’s faster), and the remote works! And auto switch works if you don’t do stupid stuff like powering on everything at the same time.

So you can probably try this one if you have a lot of inputs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a slight different experience with the monoprice HDMI switch bought it directly on their website on sale for $60

- Auto switching works fine for me and to my suprise It even auto switch my SJ9 to Arc using tv apps and HDMI on connected devices.
there is a toggle switch for the autoswitch feature you know its on when the light is green I had problems with autoswitching too and realized that you can turn this feature on and off(manual mode) after turning it on it auto switch automatically.
- Yep remote kinda sucks low quality build but it works for me and yes the IR cable is a jk XD.
- the slim profile and metal construction is a plus.
aero29 is offline  
post #1911 of 1987 Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Member
 
paulhenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Had a slight different experience with the monoprice HDMI switch bought it directly on their website on sale for $60



- Auto switching works fine for me and to my suprise It even auto switch my SJ9 to Arc using tv apps and HDMI on connected devices.

there is a toggle switch for the autoswitch feature you know its on when the light is green I had problems with autoswitching too and realized that you can turn this feature on and off(manual mode) after turning it on it auto switch automatically.

- Yep remote kinda sucks low quality build but it works for me and yes the IR cable is a jk XD.

- the slim profile and metal construction is a plus.


So you also got the blackbird one correct? I am glad it worked for you. I was aware of the button to autoswitch on / off but still no dice with the mode on.

Quick question did you have all your hdmi ports filled? I suspected that my Apple TV was the device killing the autoswitch not the switch itself because it always wanted to get on



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulhenta is offline  
post #1912 of 1987 Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
So you also got the blackbird one correct? I am glad it worked for you. I was aware of the button to autoswitch on / off but still no dice with the mode on.

Quick question did you have all your hdmi ports filled? I suspected that my Apple TV was the device killing the autoswitch not the switch itself because it always wanted to get on



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I got the blackbird ultraslim.

at first yes but I removed my cable tv box because its almost always on all the time when I initially tested it turning on a device it switches to that and turning it off switches back to the TV feed sometimes volume are too high or since its not insta switch sometimes I accidentally leave the tv turned on for hours but I think it kinda affects it when one device is always on. My only gripe with this switch is when rendering HDR on my Xbox one going back to SDR source (after playing or watching a movie) sometimes it transfers to the TV feed when its on or signal is lost I had to cycle the input using the remote once to get the picture back not sure if its the switch or xbox issue.
aero29 is offline  
post #1913 of 1987 Old 08-30-2018, 02:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwise View Post
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a SJ9 and wanted to check with someone of how I should connect it for best performance. I have a Samsung UE65KS7005 and if I understand it correctly it's unlikely that it will bypass Atmos-sound from a hardware point. So if I want Atmos sound I guess the Samsung built-in apps (everyone) are a no-go. I also have a Chromecast Ultra connected to the TV from where I watch Netflix for example. Should I put this in the SJ9 input HDMI? Will it extract the Atmos sound from Netflix (from Chromecast) and transfer the HDR-video to my TV? I also have a PS4 Pro, but rarely use for watching video and I haven't been able to read something about that games have Atmos sound. So this should make sense to connect to the TV by HDMI and have optical out to the SJ9. The same with my 720p TV-box, HDMI to the TV and output through the same optical. What do you think about this setup? Does it make sense? Any other suggestions? HDMI-hub? Will the TV change HDMI-input if I start something on the Chromecast Ultra in the SJ9? Will it work to change the volume on the SJ9 with the TV-remote?

I also use Plex to watch videos sometimes, can this handle Atmos and HDR through Chromecast (since the built-in apps in the TV probably can't forward Atmos)?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Atmos will work if you directly connect the device into the sj9 passthrough. I have PSPRo and Xone connected to a HDMI switch that is connected to the SJ9 passthrough then sj9 to the TV both can play atmos tracks from vudu ( both consoles) and media disc,netflix xbone as long as the device supports atmos it shoulld be no problem as long as its you are using the passthrough.
But do I really need a HDMI-switch since the Chromecast is the only source Atmos capable? How will it work if I connect the Chromecast to the SJ9 and all other to the TV? Will auto-switching work and will it be possible to change the volume of the SJ9 through the TV-remote in all cases?

Thanks for your assistance!
allwise is offline  
post #1914 of 1987 Old 09-01-2018, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
jake51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Has anybody owned the LG SJ8?
Does it sound as good as the LG SJ9 only without the Atmos (which I don't need for TV series on my OLED)?
I'm having a hard time deciding between the two
jake51 is offline  
post #1915 of 1987 Old 09-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
khundkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the sj9 from best buy as an open box item for $200. it was missing the remote, but i ordered it directly from lg for $20.. I do like the sound bar, but from reading all these pages, it seems like there is still an issue with rear speakers. I can get the LG h3 speakers, but from what I read, it will have issues doing discreet audio all the time.. and i guess it can't do simulated surround if the audio is stereo like how my receiver does.
khundkar is offline  
post #1916 of 1987 Old 09-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
schalliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If people are still looking for AV matrix/switchers for just two outputs and four inputs, I'd highly recommend the 4K HDR passing AC-MX42-AUHD: https://www.avproedge.com/ac-mx42-au...to-matrix.html. I use one with my SJ9 and a 65 LG OLED.

It isn't cheap, but you can use it with an automation system and it's totally transparent.
Ellebob likes this.
schalliol is offline  
post #1917 of 1987 Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 AM
OT7
Member
 
OT7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why is LG calling for a HDMI high-speed cable with Ethernet for a HDMI connection.
Probably inaccurate.

Last edited by OT7; 09-21-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add
OT7 is offline  
post #1918 of 1987 Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks just wanted some advice, facing a weird issue since few months. I can hear a white noise in both upward firing speakers in movie and bass blast mode. I tried changing the HDMI cable the noise is still there. even in blue tooth I can hear it. Has someone faced this issue ? Any help is appreciated? Customer care says to take it for a repair. Would they be replacing if the issue is Persistent?
akshay Kathuria is offline  
post #1919 of 1987 Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Member
 
aero29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay Kathuria View Post
Hey folks just wanted some advice, facing a weird issue since few months. I can hear a white noise in both upward firing speakers in movie and bass blast mode. I tried changing the HDMI cable the noise is still there. even in blue tooth I can hear it. Has someone faced this issue ? Any help is appreciated? Customer care says to take it for a repair. Would they be replacing if the issue is Persistent?
just send it in either they replace/fix it or if you are lucky you'll get a free upgrade and send you the new Sk series soundbar.
OwnerOfLg likes this.
aero29 is offline  
post #1920 of 1987 Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey All,

My setup is LG SJ9 and two H3's as surround speakers. Do/did any of you encouter issue with crackling sound from time to time from H3's ? I suspect it's due to the high WIFI/BT interference as I live in the flat. I've already tried different mixes of connections like soundbar wired to router, H3s wireless, soundbar wireless, and H3s connected to the bridge R1. ( even bought that sh*t, in hope it will resolve my issue ) on the 2,4GHZ or/and 5ghz router network etc etc. I've been trying to change channels in the Musicflow app, and All I could observe is less frequent cracks at 5ghz. Sure, I can live with it, but I've paid over 1k $ not for this kind experience. Moreover I'm already after the point when I could give back the whole setup to the store and buy SK9/10. Did anybody have a luck to resolve this issue ?

+ Bonus issue, once any Musicflow speaker is connected wirelessly, and after I disconnect my iPhone from my wifi network, I'm not able to connect my phone again to the WIFI network. The only solution is to turn off all wirelessly connected speakers.
Strasburger000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off