Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #181 of 1986 Old 04-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrak View Post
Good afternoon,

I got a pretty tricky problem with my setup and I basically got no idea where the problem comes from. Setup:

TV: LG OLED 55 E6D (newest software version xx.95)
Sound Settings
Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
Digital Sound Out: Auto
SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC): On
HDR: HDMI 2 (ARC) turned on

Xbox One S (newest software version):
Audio Output Settings
Primary Output Port: HDMI OUT
Audio Format (Priority): Bit stream

Sound bar: SJ9 (newest software version)

Now to my problem. It seems like the paththrough is not working as indented. When I play a 4K movie the sound is played while the screen stays black or sometimes gray.
I bought the standard HDMI cable from Amazon (HDMI 2.0 a/b, 2.0, 1.4a - ULTRA HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, ARC ....) and also tried the cable delivered with the Xbox One S (bought it 3 days ago). Both cables showed the same problem.

Now I tested another cable from a friend (HDMI Ultra HD Premium 4K, 2.0b 60 Herz) it turned out that it worked "better" with this cable, I finally could see the movie BUT when I turned it off and switched back to XBox the TV screen started to flicker also it did not automatically switch to HDR mode.

For me it clearly looks like that the 4k signal isn't rooted through the SJ9 in the correct way.

Sorry if something is not 100% clear due to my non native english

BR
Thomas
Yes, definitely try two certified premium high-speed cables for both the Xbox to SJ9 connection and from SJ9 to tv.

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroEd View Post
I thought I'd post my setup now it's equalised a bit.

TV = LG B6 connected to the SJ9 via HDMI ARC. The TVs audio output setting is on 'Auto' otherwise it'd output PCM which doesn't sound as good with this soundbar as DD. This is how I watch TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. This gives me 5.1 output from the soundbar. I can turn on and off both the TV and SJ9 and control the volume with the TV's remote.

PS4 connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the 4k HDR video signal to the TV and 'should' enable ATMOS audio on the SJ9 but for some reason I just get noise. This will also give me 5.1 output from the PS4.

Xbox One alternatively connected to the soundbar via HDMI. This will 'passthrough' the video signal to the TV and this 'does' give me ATMOS audio on the SJ9. This will also give me 5.1 output from the Xbox One.

I have 2 LG H3 speakers placed behind me that I can optionally enable as rear surround speakers via the LG Music Flow app. I can control the volume levels of each speaker separately from the soundbar via the app. The results of this vary from a very effective surround effect to unusable. Some movies sound great whereas broadcast TV sounds awful as the discreet 5.1 signals are not distributed correctly to the rear speakers and you get a slightly delayed copy of what's playing from the front. I don't know where this is going wrong. The app or the soundbar.

I've also go the SJ9 and both H3s in a Google Home group for music playback without the need to turn the TV on.

I'm expecting to get the Xbox Scorpio for my UHD BluRay playback at some point as I'd rather not have a player just for movie disks.

This is far from perfect (PS4 ATMOS playback bug for instance) but it might help someone with the cabling logic as I've been helped so far by this forum.

And if anyone knows how to improve this setup please shout out!
First, thanks for all the effort and updates you have provided. I have been lurking this forum for many months and purchased off of the feedback of many members.

So I have two new LG 65" OLEDs (B/E) series. I followed your wiring suggestion with the B6P, SJ9, and Sony X800 UHD player.

X800 > HDMI out > SJ9 HDMI in > SJ9 HDMI out > B6P ARC HDMI 2 in (all HDMI cables are brand new media bridge 4k)

Doing this set up nets me 4k/hdr video on the screen and a mess of audio. Voices only come through sub and sound is weak through SJ9. That and when i hit info on the SJ9 it only ever says PCI (SJ9 set to HDMI IN setting)

TV: 65B6P
Sound Settings

I spent the entire day tinkering (wife was thrilled...) and no success. If i connect the blu ray to tv HDMI 1 and HDMI arc to SJ9 i get sound but its still PCM and no atmos. Plan on calling LG tomorrow since I am at a loss at what to do other than returning it.

I also bought LG - 120W Wireless Surround Sound Speaker Kit hoping they would work. No such luck. I also cant find H3s that arent on ebay to test out. Really tempted at getting another soundbar with native rear speaker support...

Any suggestions on what I may be missing?
post #183 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You have to change the sound settings in the bluray player, the TV settings doesn't matter. Set them to bitstream if you use Atmos discs. You can't get Atmos over ARC, your connection is correct.

The sound bar doesn't recognise DTS sound formats, don't try that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
You have to change the sound settings in the bluray player, the TV settings doesn't matter. Set them to bitstream if you use Atmos discs. You can't get Atmos over ARC, your connection is correct.

The sound bar doesn't recognise DTS sound formats, don't try that!
THANK YOU!!! Man, that was all I had to do! I was literally about to pull the plug and return it all. Now I just have to figure out the rear speaker situation. But seriously, thank you!!!
post #185 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry forgot to mention that the standard cable works perfect when I connect the TV directly to the Xbox One S. No problem watching 4k Movies.
post #186 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Got the sj9 yesterday, connected it to my Samsung ks 8000 TV by hdmi arc port and the sound bar wouldn't turn on.. Disconnected the hdmi cable and it would turn on.. Updated the sound bar, checked all the settings on the TV.. All OK.. Turned TV and sound bar on and no sound.. I only get sound with optical cable.. Tired 3 different hdmi cables and still the same result.. No sound through hdmi.. And sound bar only displays optical.. It will not connect with arc at all.. been messing about with it since.. Spoke to Samsung, went through all the settings, still doesn't work.. They say speak to LG, they are closed today so will try tomorrow..

Not impressed with the optical sound at all

Any thoughts?
post #187 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie112 View Post
Got the sj9 yesterday, connected it to my Samsung ks 8000 TV by hdmi arc port and the sound bar wouldn't turn on.. Disconnected the hdmi cable and it would turn on.. Updated the sound bar, checked all the settings on the TV.. All OK.. Turned TV and sound bar on and no sound.. I only get sound with optical cable.. Tired 3 different hdmi cables and still the same result.. No sound through hdmi.. And sound bar only displays optical.. It will not connect with arc at all.. been messing about with it since.. Spoke to Samsung, went through all the settings, still doesn't work.. They say speak to LG, they are closed today so will try tomorrow..

Any thoughts?
Optical Cabel won't pass Dolby Atmos through I think, too low data.
post #188 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
There is no Atmos via ARC or optical. Only LG 2017 TV can do it over ARC.
post #189 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM

HI.. I know it won't do Dolby atmos but surely should still work through hdmi arc ports? That's what I can't work out..
post #190 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM

Surly it should work digitally with arc? But it will only work on optical cable. Displays optical and won't recognize hdmi at all..

I will try and plug my blue ray player into the other hdmi in port and see is it works or recognizes that!
post #191 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Are you absolutely sure that your KS8000 is set to output via HDMI ARC? The only other thing I can think of is that your hdmi cable might not support ARC. Do you have a newer cable you can try?

LG OLED65B6P | LG SJ9 | Philips BDP 7501 | PS4 (Original) | Audeze LCD-XC | Apogee Groove | Plex | Roon
post #192 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM

HI, yes the KS8000 is definitely set correctly.. I have tried 2 other cables including a 4k high speed cable and still nothing!
post #193 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
HI, yes the KS8000 is definitely set correctly.. I have tried 2 other cables including a 4k high speed cable and still nothing!
Hmmmm....let's get the dumb stuff out the way.
What's your source: cable box, TiVo, etc?
You're connecting from the HDMI Out port on the SJ9 to the ARC port on the KS8000?

post #194 of 1986 Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Can you post your TV audio settings? Maybe we can identify something?
post #195 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 AM

Just ordered a pair of H3 speakers to test the surround sound capabilities. Wish me luck, lol.
post #196 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNCO View Post
Just ordered a pair of H3 speakers to test the surround sound capabilities. Wish me luck, lol.
Goodluck! Will you link through the app or just manually via the sound bar?

post #197 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Let us know how it works!
post #198 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin515 View Post
It's the same thing mate.
The soundbar is the controlling device and if you connect 'outside' the app via the '+' buttons it appears as connected when you go in to the app.
Also, as of yesterday I can no longer get any sound out of them after I connect them to the soundbar. No idea why!

Great.
post #199 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It's the same thing mate.
The soundbar is the controlling device and if you connect 'outside' the app via the '+' buttons it appears as connected when you go in to the app.
Also, as of yesterday I can no longer get any sound out of them after I connect them to the soundbar. No idea why!

Great.
You think your SJ9 is dying a slow death? How goes the PS4 Atmos issue?

post #200 of 1986 Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
You think your SJ9 is dying a slow death? How goes the PS4 Atmos issue?
Still unsolved.
I borrowed another PS4 Pro oevr the weekend and its exactly the same. I want to borrow a normal PS4 and see if there is some difference between the Pro and non-Pro somehow. The only alternative is that my SJ9 is faulty. That the ATMOS signal is different from the Xbox One than the one output from the PS4.
If I thought for one second that LG might help in any way I'd consider calling them but I reckon I'd be just wasting my time.
The H3 surrounds went wrong when I got a new mobile phone this weekend. I installed the LG app on my new phone and of course it didn't pick up the speakers. I had to reset them for them to pop up but no sound from surround mode.
post #201 of 1986 Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Still unsolved.
I borrowed another PS4 Pro oevr the weekend and its exactly the same. I want to borrow a normal PS4 and see if there is some difference between the Pro and non-Pro somehow. The only alternative is that my SJ9 is faulty. That the ATMOS signal is different from the Xbox One than the one output from the PS4.
If I thought for one second that LG might help in any way I'd consider calling them but I reckon I'd be just wasting my time.
The H3 surrounds went wrong when I got a new mobile phone this weekend. I installed the LG app on my new phone and of course it didn't pick up the speakers. I had to reset them for them to pop up but no sound from surround mode.
Have you tried resetting the sound bar to factory default via the app?

post #202 of 1986 Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 AM

Hey guys, I just noticed that most stores that carry the SJ9 are now selling it for $100 less. I put this in a credit card and I've already started the price protection claim process. Those that did buy via credit card should do the same.

post #203 of 1986 Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I actually canceled the order shortly after posting about it. I am seeing the writing on the wall with trying to piece together rear surround. While I was at Best Buy yesterday i picked up an open box Samsung HWK950 and when it works sound much fuller than the LG (IMO). I am no audiophile so take my opinion lightly.

But like I said, that is while they work, they have a lot of issues connecting to the various HDMI inputs. Atmos effect on these is a little better but as a whole having tried out two separate units I am not sure I am the target audience for Atmos. I dont notice it enough. For reference I set this up in a 12'x12' room with 9' ceilings with no obstructions to speak of. So this should be the ideal landscape for it.

I am very tempted to just pick up the bose system. They had an update recently that appears to have fixed many concerns current owners had. Undecided what to do next.
post #204 of 1986 Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
I actually canceled the order shortly after posting about it. I am seeing the writing on the wall with trying to piece together rear surround. While I was at Best Buy yesterday i picked up an open box Samsung HWK950 and when it works sound much fuller than the LG (IMO). I am no audiophile so take my opinion lightly.

But like I said, that is while they work, they have a lot of issues connecting to the various HDMI inputs. Atmos effect on these is a little better but as a whole having tried out two separate units I am not sure I am the target audience for Atmos. I dont notice it enough. For reference I set this up in a 12'x12' room with 9' ceilings with no obstructions to speak of. So this should be the ideal landscape for it.

I am very tempted to just pick up the bose system. They had an update recently that appears to have fixed many concerns current owners had. Undecided what to do next.

You sure you have everything set up right?

Because the professional reviewers that saw and heard this soundbar at CES this January said it sounded "excellent".

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #205 of 1986 Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrak View Post
Good afternoon,

I got a pretty tricky problem with my setup and I basically got no idea where the problem comes from. Setup:

TV: LG OLED 55 E6D (newest software version xx.95)
Sound Settings
HDR: HDMI 2 (ARC) turned on

Xbox One S (newest software version):
Audio Output Settings
Primary Output Port: HDMI OUT
Audio Format (Priority): Bit stream

Sound bar: SJ9 (newest software version)

Now to my problem. It seems like the paththrough is not working as indented. When I play a 4K movie the sound is played while the screen stays black or sometimes gray.
I bought the standard HDMI cable from Amazon (HDMI 2.0 a/b, 2.0, 1.4a - ULTRA HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, ARC ....) and also tried the cable delivered with the Xbox One S (bought it 3 days ago). Both cables showed the same problem.

Now I tested another cable from a friend (HDMI Ultra HD Premium 4K, 2.0b 60 Herz) it turned out that it worked "better" with this cable, I finally could see the movie BUT when I turned it off and switched back to XBox the TV screen started to flicker also it did not automatically switch to HDR mode.

For me it clearly looks like that the 4k signal isn't rooted through the SJ9 in the correct way.

Sorry if something is not 100% clear due to my non native english

BR
Thomas
Got 2 HDMI Ultra HD cables, esured 60 Herz and still not working. Any more ideas?
post #206 of 1986 Old 05-04-2017, 02:40 PM

HI guys...
Still can't get the sj9 to work with my Samsung ks8000 TV..
Spoke to Samsung and LG, they both blame each other as you world expect..
Plugged another sound bar into the Samsung and guess what?
It doesn't work! So got to get Samsung to fix it...

Anyway decided to treat myself again!

Just ordered the LG 55" oled c7 and the LG 4k player to go with it..

It will be delivered tomorrow.. Lots of playing to do at the weekend then!

I think this will be the ultimate test for the sound bar as everything will be LG and this sound bar is designed for the 2017 TV range..

Fingers crossed it all works...
I may need some help with TV and port settings to get the best out of it..

Let you know how I get on..
post #207 of 1986 Old 05-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Audio dropouts

Ok so I have my computer connect to the hdmi in. Playing video files been getting slight but annoying audio dropouts. Not cool.

Some guy
post #208 of 1986 Old 05-08-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm considering adding two of LG's MusicFlow speakers as surrounds.
Quote:
OK. Satisfication Update!

Previous setups:

V1: LG B6 > LG Sound Sync > Optical cable > SJ9 = Controllable via LG TV remote control but ONLY outputting PCM therefor very shallow soundstage and no 5.1 rear signals passed to LG H3 rear surrounds = Unsatisfied Ed.

V2: LG B6 > Optical > Optical cable > SJ9 = Not controllable via LG TV remote control but outputting Dolby signal therefor wide soundstage and discreet 5.1 signals being sent to LG H3 rear surrounds = Still Unsatisfied Ed

V3: LG B6 > HDMI ARC > HDMI High Speed cable > SJ9 = Controllable via LG TV remore control AND outputting Dolby signal AND a MUCH wider soundstage from just the soundbar AND discreet 5.1 signals being sent to the LG H3 rear surrounds = VERY happy Ed!

If there was a way to enable an automatic switch to discern whether a singal was 5.1 or not and output the appropriate signal to the surrounds then everything I want would be GOLD!

Quote:
Earlier in the thread, ShiroEd did connect dedicated rear speakers to the soundbar: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...l#post52269497

I wonder if the 'rear' speakers on the sound bar are disabled when having dedicated rear speakers.
Quote:
With varying degrees of success decoding the 5.1 signal correctly. I can't figure out why though.

Quote:
Yep. Understood. Thanks for the really clear explaination. In this case this is not what I'm trying to do though. It's normal 5.1 via ARC and then the soundbar handing the rear signals off to the LG H3s thats a bit of an issue.
Quote:
The TV does send a 5.1 signal. It worked perfectly with my previous 5.1 speaker setup. On this soundbar I get discreet Right, Center and Left channels that are totally seperate and discreet from the signal sent to the rears. This is not a simple stereo signal. The issue I have in this instance is that it seems that the soundbar, via LG's Music Flow software, isn't passing along the rear signals correctly to my LG H3s.

Thanks for that link. Below is an updated list that shows my TV LG B6 can pass a 5.1 signal.
http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs...io-passthrough
Quote:
I have 2 LG H3 speakers placed behind me that I can optionally enable as rear surround speakers via the LG Music Flow app. I can control the volume levels of each speaker separately from the soundbar via the app. The results of this vary from a very effective surround effect to unusable. Some movies sound great whereas broadcast TV sounds awful as the discreet 5.1 signals are not distributed correctly to the rear speakers and you get a slightly delayed copy of what's playing from the front. I don't know where this is going wrong. The app or the soundbar.

I've also go the SJ9 and both H3s in a Google Home group for music playback without the need to turn the TV on.

Quote:
I believe in the full SJ9 manual on the LG site, there's a procedure for pairing rear speakers to the sound bar without using the app. This is probably the route I'll go when I'm ready for rears. You put the idea in my head. Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
What rear LG speakers is everyone using, or going to use, with the SJ9?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
There is no Atmos via ARC or optical. Only LG 2017 TV can do it over ARC.
So hey guys!
I've got a B6 and i am aslo 1 step behind from the Sj9....The only thing that didnt convince me to bought it was the..."surround effect".
I was hoping to find something similar to Samsung K950 with Soundbar+Sub+2 sat...But LG did this bad thinkg...with only soundbar+sub and not an accurate 100% solution for pairing-work the 2 rear speakers.
As i can see..many of you bought the H3s for rear speakers..My main question is...Are they working?How does the surround effect work?As saw that some didnt test it..Some of you got some problems and some others SEEMS to be fine..But i am trying to understand if there is a surround effect or not.
I dont need some extra volume-noise and have equal noise-sound on the rear speakers as soundbar,I jsut need the surround effect and thats the only that really matters for me,Since i dodnt want to spend more than the cost of SJ9+H3s...
Does it work???maybe there are some other speakers (LG OR NOT) that we can pair n work with nice surround effect for SJ9?

PS:I would like to mention that i dont really care if the rear speakers will work via my tv...I would only want to work properly via my HTPC for 5.1.2...However if its possible work 5.1.2 and ot TV chaneel as well ...THAT WOULD BE GOLD.....So if there is any soundcard or ANY WAY in order to make em work properly with nice surround effect to watch some movies from my htpc or directly form tv-chaneel or something..Please let me know.!

Thank you very much...!!!
post #209 of 1986 Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi all, I have been waiting for this to come out and didnt realize it already did and was goign to buy it until I found out the C6 I have doesnt do ATMOS via ARC, only the 2017 models do. Bummer. First question is, is it possible LG might add this feature to the 2016 models via firmware, have they said either way?

Second question. With no ARC ATMOS, I have an issue that i have 2 ATMOS devices, my nvidia shield TV and my Xbox one s for hd blu ray. This is a problem since there is only 1 hdmi input. My question is, can I use my HDMI 2.0a switch (i went through many and finally found one that truely is hdmi 2.0a with hdcp 2.2 support, it passes HDR at 4k 18gbps) before the sound bar? So Nvidia shield and xbox s connected to my hdmi switch, connected to the soundbar, connected to the tv via ARC (for all the other inputs coming to the tv, plus built in tv apps)??? This would obviously solve my issue.

third question, the main reason I am looking at a soundbar is that my girlfriend always complains she cant hear the voices without turning the tv up too high (we live in an apartment), I figured this was due to using the tv stereo speakers or my old sony 2.1 soundbar which dont have center channel support. Does this soundbar work well for this specifically bringing out voices? I was hoping it might even have a DSP mode to bring out the voices like some soundbars claim they can do.

fourth, do i get any virtual surround? I know no soundbar can give me rear speaker sound but i was hoping this might give me a little virtual surround, especially since in my apartment i cant really install rear speakers.

Lastly, someone mentioned firmware upgrades and DTS:X, is it possible they could add DTS:X or is it possible it needs hardware it doesnt have? Also, just want to confirm as i read conflicting things in this thread that it can do regular DTS 5.1?

Thanks all.
post #210 of 1986 Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I thought I'd post my setup now it's equalised a bit.

This is interesting, so it all works through an app? Does the app setup a wireless connection via the speakers and the soundbar directly or does the auto actually pass through the app? I am interested in adding rear speakers maybe if i can find the space down the road but i wouldnt want to have to take my phone out every time i watch something is why i ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page