Official LG SJ9 Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #241 of 1986 Old 05-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have an LG 55B6 and I never had an soundbar. Is this a good choice to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1986 Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orod Harati View Post
I have an LG 55B6 and I never had an soundbar. Is this a good choice to buy?
Initial reviews are positive.

If space is limited or you don't want wires everywhere then a good soundbar fits in nicely with everything.
post #243 of 1986 Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I seemed to have fixed most of the problems with the Darbee. I just had to turn off Deep color on the LG while going through the Darbee, which I wont need anyway while going 1080p. Now the signal is much more stable while chained.

Last edited by grodd; 05-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1986 Old 05-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I continue to have non-stop issues with HDMI passthrough mode. I am debating to exchange it and see if my unit is faulty or just return it and wait for the Sony.
post #245 of 1986 Old 05-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240se View Post
I continue to have non-stop issues with HDMI passthrough mode. I am debating to exchange it and see if my unit is faulty or just return it and wait for the Sony.
Either something is wrong with your unit or you are using some questionable non-certified cables. I would use Monoprice certified, Audioquest Cinnamon and above or Supra.
post #246 of 1986 Old 05-12-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
Either something is wrong with your unit or you are using some questionable non-certified cables. I would use Monoprice certified, Audioquest Cinnamon and above or Supra.
I have some monoprice cables for my vr stuff i can test but i am pretty sure its not the cables. the cables have been working perfectly for hdr 4k for months, plus the brand new cables i bought just incase are pretty highly rated cables.
post #247 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well here in the UK the H3 speakers are rare as hens teeth.
Looks like they are basically discontinued.
Managed to get a pair at half price eventually.
Anyways using the app got them connected to the SJ9 and after tweaking they work really well on movies I have recorded and blu ray films.
Once you link the speakers in the app all the white lights, including the sj9, go purple and all is well.
Biggest problem is the SJ9 does not tell you when a broadcast is surround sound and when it is not you get dialogue out of all speakers and sync goes to crap.
However still practising and after watching Mad Max Fury Road last night I was pleased with my purchase.
For normal viewing I just disconnect rear speakers using app then reconnect to watch a film.
post #248 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is this soundbar worth the price guys?
post #249 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheznous View Post
Well here in the UK the H3 speakers are rare as hens teeth.
Looks like they are basically discontinued.
Managed to get a pair at half price eventually.
Anyways using the app got them connected to the SJ9 and after tweaking they work really well on movies I have recorded and blu ray films.
Once you link the speakers in the app all the white lights, including the sj9, go purple and all is well.
Biggest problem is the SJ9 does not tell you when a broadcast is surround sound and when it is not you get dialogue out of all speakers and sync goes to crap.
However still practising and after watching Mad Max Fury Road last night I was pleased with my purchase.
For normal viewing I just disconnect rear speakers using app then reconnect to watch a film.

My H3s worked the same for the first 3 weeks and now I can't get them to function as rears. The app sees them and I can connect them through that but no sound comes through.
It's SUCH a flakey system.

UPDATE: A factory reset of the SJ9 fixed things.

Last edited by ShiroEd; 05-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #250 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just got my SJ9 delivered today to replace an older all in one player and 5.1 setup.

It does sound better than my previous arrangement but it is twice the price so that is to be expected.

Issues so far, it doesn't pass through 3D Blu-ray signals to the TV - this is annoying as I am planning on using my Xbox One S as a 4k/Blu-ray player and have a library of stuff on 3D Blu-ray.

HDR pass through works no issues on both 4k films via the Xbox and games that support HDR - there is a bit of a delay when the input signal switches complete with either a white or pinkish output on the TV - this clears in around 10 seconds though.

Its annoying in that it switches to ARC on power-on, if you want to watch 4k Atmos you need the tiny remote supplied with it to switch to HDMI in.

For anyone setting up its also worth noting that you will only get patches via the LG Music Flow App - it does tell you to do this in the 'simple manual' that is supplied but I suspect like a few folks that's easily missed.

The full manual is on LGs website, it details lots of other info including what you need to plug in to get Atmos to work, it does state that ARC will provide Atmos support via your TV if your TV supports it - given I have a LG OLED E6V it would be great if they patched the firmware to enable that.

Aside from 4k discs I have not had any other Atmos sound sources - neither Netflix nor Prime seem to offer it via their in-house 4k content so have been unable to test it, tried both Xbox and WebOS versions of those apps.

Like other owners on here I would like some more tweaking via the app to be available, some sort of room calibration function (TV does it why not the soundbar!) and the ability to use the function button via my main remote - I hate having lots of remotes laying around and as this is essentially, volume up and down, mute and sources it shouldn't be that difficult.

Finally on the downside I would expect better integration from LGs own products to products - despite owning various manufacturers kit over the years I am still amazed that a device that is aimed more at the general consumer is not as plug and play as it should be.

All that said it does sound very good, the subwoofer is plenty punchy and the sound bar does a great job of spreading the sound around the room - need to watch some films with sequences that move the audio around the room to see how it holds up.

On a side note the LG W7 with the pop-up speakers does support Atmos contrary to New24ks comment.
post #251 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
It only supports virtual Atmos, it doesn't have upfiring speakers.
New24K likes this.
post #252 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandards View Post
On a side note the LG W7 with the pop-up speakers does support Atmos contrary to New24ks comment.
No it doesn't - contrary to your comment

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #253 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
It only supports virtual Atmos, it doesn't have upfiring speakers.
According to various sites it has two upfiring speakers. It sure sounds that way when I listen to it as well.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-sj9/preview/

Unless you are talking about the W7 speaker, in which case it gets a little more fuzzy. It does support Atmos, it sort of has upfiring speakers but only to the TV level.
Plus it can only support Atmos when delivered via Dolby Digital Plus.
https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-6...v-review.13308
https://www.whathifi.com/lg/oled65w7/review (not a fan of this site, but decent link)

Last edited by grodd; 05-13-2017 at 11:03 PM.
post #254 of 1986 Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Just got my SJ9 delivered today to replace an older all in one player and 5.1 setup.

It does sound better than my previous arrangement but it is twice the price so that is to be expected.

Issues so far, it doesn't pass through 3D Blu-ray signals to the TV - this is annoying as I am planning on using my Xbox One S as a 4k/Blu-ray player and have a library of stuff on 3D Blu-ray.

HDR pass through works no issues on both 4k films via the Xbox and games that support HDR - there is a bit of a delay when the input signal switches complete with either a white or pinkish output on the TV - this clears in around 10 seconds though.

Its annoying in that it switches to ARC on power-on, if you want to watch 4k Atmos you need the tiny remote supplied with it to switch to HDMI in.

For anyone setting up its also worth noting that you will only get patches via the LG Music Flow App - it does tell you to do this in the 'simple manual' that is supplied but I suspect like a few folks that's easily missed.

The full manual is on LGs website, it details lots of other info including what you need to plug in to get Atmos to work, it does state that ARC will provide Atmos support via your TV if your TV supports it - given I have a LG OLED E6V it would be great if they patched the firmware to enable that.

Aside from 4k discs I have not had any other Atmos sound sources - neither Netflix nor Prime seem to offer it via their in-house 4k content so have been unable to test it, tried both Xbox and WebOS versions of those apps.

Like other owners on here I would like some more tweaking via the app to be available, some sort of room calibration function (TV does it why not the soundbar!) and the ability to use the function button via my main remote - I hate having lots of remotes laying around and as this is essentially, volume up and down, mute and sources it shouldn't be that difficult.

Finally on the downside I would expect better integration from LGs own products to products - despite owning various manufacturers kit over the years I am still amazed that a device that is aimed more at the general consumer is not as plug and play as it should be.

All that said it does sound very good, the subwoofer is plenty punchy and the sound bar does a great job of spreading the sound around the room - need to watch some films with sequences that move the audio around the room to see how it holds up.

I have the E6 and an Xbox one S also. Xbox one S has terrible 3D problems even without the soundbar. But my PS4 and Panasonic UB900 work great.

One other thing to add on the SJ9. Sometimes I prefer "Movie", sometimes "standard" I haven't figured out why sometimes Standard sounds better.

Last edited by grodd; 05-13-2017 at 11:19 PM.
post #255 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@grodd The W7 soundbar is a 4.2 channel soundbar, so no upfiring speakers and no real Atmos. It can decode Atmos but the pop-up speakers are simply a design gimmick. In every review I know, they ask why LG made this odd design choice for their flagship TVs although the SJ9 exists.
post #256 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
No it doesn't - contrary to your comment
I sit corrected behind my keyboard

Although in my defence LG are selling it as such and as with all their 2017 OLEDs the TV will recognise Dolby Atmos info.
post #257 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
@grodd The W7 soundbar is a 4.2 channel soundbar, so no upfiring speakers and no real Atmos. It can decode Atmos but the pop-up speakers are simply a design gimmick. In every review I know, they ask why LG made this odd design choice for their flagship TVs although the SJ9 exists.
Yes 4.2 Meaning 2 upward firing speakers as I showed in the links but only at the TV level , then 2 forward firing speakers and two built in subwoofers.

As in the previous links:

"There are two forward-firing drivers and two upward-firing drivers, along with two built-in subwoofers. The upward-firing speakers rise up out of the AIO box when the TV is turned on and go back down again when the TV is turned off. However the upward-firing drivers don't bounce sounds off the ceiling, they simply fire sounds up so that they appear to emanate from where the screen is located rather from beneath the screen. "
post #258 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Well after ordering a set of premium high speed HDMI cables and fitting them today in an effort to avoid some of the issues I have been having its still not fixed.

The new cables have helped, the 'info' button on the E6V remote will now display source and resolution info for signals via the sound bar.

When playing 4k HDR atmos stuff through the Xbox > SJ9 > TV it works most of the time, however, if I am playing a film then drop back into the Xbox home page then sometimes it drops the signal and other times it does show up but won't then re-play the movie or let me launch another app, say Netflix without re-booting all three devices.

It won't do 3D pass through (tried my old 3D Blu-ray) and I bought this in an effort to simplify the amount of kit I was using - plus all the extra reboots means it's not wife friendly at all so that's another non-starter.

On top of that its really damn slow to pick up on the signal from both Xbox and the testing I did with my old Blu-ray player, it constantly dumps into ARC mode despite me wanting it in HDMI in (in the process losing the ARC return too). I have also had it playing a 4k disc whilst outputting a 1080p signal to the TV - the Xbox was sending 4k as you can pull up the encoding info etc on the Blu-Ray player.

So its going back as despite it sounding good it really doesn't work as a sound bar unless you are sending it an Atmos signal or Bluetooth audio - which it's pretty good at.

Also worth noting then when I mounted it as per the instruction (100mm below the bottom of the TV) it sounded much better then when I had just placed it on the unit below the TV - worth using the provided template.

Anyone got any recommendations for an Atmos sound bar that supports 3D pass through and works without having to constantly recycle power?
post #259 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Well after ordering a set of premium high speed HDMI cables and fitting them today in an effort to avoid some of the issues I have been having its still not fixed.

The new cables have helped, the 'info' button on the E6V remote will now display source and resolution info for signals via the sound bar.

When playing 4k HDR atmos stuff through the Xbox > SJ9 > TV it works most of the time, however, if I am playing a film then drop back into the Xbox home page then sometimes it drops the signal and other times it does show up but won't then re-play the movie or let me launch another app, say Netflix without re-booting all three devices.

It won't do 3D pass through (tried my old 3D Blu-ray) and I bought this in an effort to simplify the amount of kit I was using - plus all the extra reboots means it's not wife friendly at all so that's another non-starter.

On top of that its really damn slow to pick up on the signal from both Xbox and the testing I did with my old Blu-ray player, it constantly dumps into ARC mode despite me wanting it in HDMI in (in the process losing the ARC return too). I have also had it playing a 4k disc whilst outputting a 1080p signal to the TV - the Xbox was sending 4k as you can pull up the encoding info etc on the Blu-Ray player.

So its going back as despite it sounding good it really doesn't work as a sound bar unless you are sending it an Atmos signal or Bluetooth audio - which it's pretty good at.

Also worth noting then when I mounted it as per the instruction (100mm below the bottom of the TV) it sounded much better then when I had just placed it on the unit below the TV - worth using the provided template.

Anyone got any recommendations for an Atmos sound bar that supports 3D pass through and works without having to constantly recycle power?

I have the exact same issue with both xbox one s and nvidia shield. i went through the same game of new high end cables, etc. either there is a bad batch of these units out there (several others in this thread have exact same issues) or the passthrough is seriously buggy and you have to get really lucky with your setup maybe for it to be fine.
post #260 of 1986 Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Try turning off "Deep color" on the HDMI 2 port on your E6 and see if that helps for 3D. I have an Xbox, I'll try using the Xbox to see if I have the same problems. I usually use the Panny UB900. I've watched a few 3D movies so far. I had 2 drop outs on Mad Max but that was before I made a few changes to the cables set-up. So far no dropouts since but will keep watching. I did have a recent connection issue where I had to turn off the sound bar and turn everything back on to watch a 4K movie but for the most part after some issues last week it's been almost perfect sailing. I did a little testing and high quality cables do help with this soundbar.
post #261 of 1986 Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 AM

Grodd, I guess the main issue I have is that its not reliable enough.

Tried a reset this morning in an effort to see if that helps but booting the Xbox and putting Daredevil on (4k HDR) it keeps flashing a white screen occasionally, complete with 'HDR' caption on TV. Cables are short (1m x 2) and being HDMI premium high speed have to be certified for way more data than needs to go through the cable.

It's still taking ages to show an image on switching inputs - I get a nice violet output when going from Xbox splash page to the app until I see the user selection screen, no sign of the 'Netflix' flash pop-up that should be there.

Jumping back to the Xbox home screen works ok and then trying to play a 4k Blu-ray results in the TV showing a 1080p input signal when it should be 4K...

Throw in the fact I am away from home with work and its not user friendly enough for the Mrs to just turn it all on and it work.

I have had no issues when directly connected to the TV so its got to be the sound bar causing the problems despite trying various HDMI cables.

Its very disappointing to buy some kit that is being sold as the upper end for non-audiophile home users that is definitely pitched as simple plug and play that doesn't work reliably.

Looking at the Yamaha YSP5600 instead, its more money but it does also support DTS-X, comes with a calibration microphone, lots of inputs and a lot more tweaking options
post #262 of 1986 Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Tried a reset this morning in an effort to see if that helps but booting the Xbox and putting Daredevil on (4k HDR) it keeps flashing a white screen occasionally, complete with 'HDR' caption on TV. Cables are short (1m x 2) and being HDMI premium high speed have to be certified for way more data than needs to go through the cable.

It's still taking ages to show an image on switching inputs - I get a nice violet output when going from Xbox splash page to the app until I see the user selection screen, no sign of the 'Netflix' flash pop-up that should be there.

Jumping back to the Xbox home screen works ok and then trying to play a 4k Blu-ray results in the TV showing a 1080p input signal when it should be 4K...

Throw in the fact I am away from home with work and its not user friendly enough for the Mrs to just turn it all on and it work.

I have had no issues when directly connected to the TV so its got to be the sound bar causing the problems despite trying various HDMI cables.

Its very disappointing to buy some kit that is being sold as the upper end for non-audiophile home users that is definitely pitched as simple plug and play that doesn't work reliably.

Looking at the Yamaha YSP5600 instead, its more money but it does also support DTS-X, comes with a calibration microphone, lots of inputs and a lot more tweaking options

There are lots of so called "HDMI premium high speed" cables, if its monoprice certified or some of the other high quality ones then you are likely fine.
Ive heard the Yamaha YSP5600 is the best sounding bar, but it doesn't support HDR passthrough so its not going in my system and almost twice the price. One other note, some devices recommend 2m length cables instead of 1 because of various connection problems. Also make sure you updated the soundbar firmware with the app. I have to agree though its not an easy plug and play.

Last edited by grodd; 05-15-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #263 of 1986 Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:

I am waiting for the new Sony soundbar and going to exchange my SJ9 for the Sony. I have the exact same issues as you.
post #264 of 1986 Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM

Grodd, the HDMI cables are the newer certified HDMI premium high speed ones, complete with 3D barcode to check on HDMI.org via an app - they are tested at 18Gbps and have an EMI test. So pretty confident I can rule out cables - despite only being 1m in length it wasn't an issue as I have the E6V on the wall, the SJ9 was below it on the wall as per the mounting template.

I was curious to see if keeping the total cable length from source to TV via the SJ9 under 3m made any difference - it doesn't.

I have updated the firmware and also tried a factory reset post cable replacement as well as resetting the TV, basically out of ideas and as such its getting collected to go back on Friday.

Annoying about the YSP-5600 not having HDR pass through - there really does seem to be nothing out there in a sound bar that does what most of us want it to, ie sound good, 4k, HDR, 3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X with enough inputs too!
post #265 of 1986 Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Grodd, the HDMI cables are the newer certified HDMI premium high speed ones, complete with 3D barcode to check on HDMI.org via an app - they are tested at 18Gbps and have an EMI test. So pretty confident I can rule out cables - despite only being 1m in length it wasn't an issue as I have the E6V on the wall, the SJ9 was below it on the wall as per the mounting template.

I was curious to see if keeping the total cable length from source to TV via the SJ9 under 3m made any difference - it doesn't.

I have updated the firmware and also tried a factory reset post cable replacement as well as resetting the TV, basically out of ideas and as such its getting collected to go back on Friday.

Annoying about the YSP-5600 not having HDR pass through - there really does seem to be nothing out there in a sound bar that does what most of us want it to, ie sound good, 4k, HDR, 3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X with enough inputs too!
The only other things I can think of is if you have something set wrong on the Xbox settings or haven't done the recent firmware updates for the E6. (Latest update 04.30.99) Otherwise I would take it back also. An HD fury (Linker) would likely help with reliablity, but you shouldn't have to shell out the money for one of those. Sounds like you have bigger issues.

Last edited by grodd; 05-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #266 of 1986 Old 05-16-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Wait on the Sony 5000 its got 3 hdr passthrough ports and all the bells and whistles. That is what i am doing, my guy at best buy confirmed first week of june.
post #267 of 1986 Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just returned my second SJ9. I have the same setup as some of you, 65 E6 with and Xbox One S. No go, i tried $100 worth of cables, software updates. Resets. EVERYTHING. Nothing worked, constantly having HDMI issues. If and when I could get a UHD HDR disc to play through, I wouldn't have ATMOS. If I was able to get ATMOS, HDR wouldn't work, it would take upwards of 15 seconds to get a signal. Half the time it said "Invalid Signal". Mainly it was just a bunch of white screes, pink screens and the occasional flashing white triangles. Yes, I was using certified cables. I tried different inputs. Nothing worked. I'm over it. When I could hear it, it was amazing. Disappointed in LG. This thing worked 10 percent of the time, and even then not correctly. Total time invested: 4 hours.
post #268 of 1986 Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just finished to setup my SJ9 with my LG B6 OLED TV. Very impressive sound. For those who are interested to test Atmos, thedigitaltheater.com (Dolby trailers) provide some ATMOS mkv that could be used into Plex for example (setup audio passthru into Plex options)
post #269 of 1986 Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loic.juillerat View Post
I just finished to setup my SJ9 with my LG B6 OLED TV. Very impressive sound. For those who are interested to test Atmos, thedigitaltheater.com (Dolby trailers) provide some ATMOS mkv that could be used into Plex for example (setup audio passthru into Plex options)
What Plex client are you using to test the Atmos?
post #270 of 1986 Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Plex android application on Nvidia Shield pro 2017

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk
Pencreus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version