This is a super-basic and noob question about digital co-ax and getting better audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmkeuning

post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is a super-basic and noob question about digital co-ax and getting better audio

I have a pretty lame TV, Magnavox 32MF301B but it's working for me. I would like to get better audio out of it. I ONLY watch video coming in through a Chromecast (I think that this might matter).

What are my options with this thing? As far as I can tell, the only audio out that it has is digital coaxial cable. Is this a correct reading of the manual? If so, how do I hook this up to a soundbar? Obviously a soundbar with digital coax input will work, but the things I am looking at are mostly RCA input. Is there a way to go from digital coax to RCA?

Or is there a device, like a receiver or something, that I can plug the chromecast into, and then go from that thing with video to the TV and audio out to the sound bar?

(I am too new to post links to the manual!) google search for 32mf301b/f7 pdf will get you there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Chromcast output digital audio through HDMI port already. That is as good as you can get.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I looked at the manual and the digital coax audio out is the only connection. However, the manual doesn't state what the digital coax is capable of. On some older TVs the digital coax only worked for the internal tuner if using an antenna and not for the HDMI connection. I don't know if that is the situation with your TV. You can always get a sound bar with an HDMI input(s) and connect the Chromecast into that and the HDMI output from the sound bar goes to the HDMI input of the TV. There are many models that do this, if you have more devices you would want one with multiple HDMI inputs. If it is only the Chromecast the models with only one HDMI input and one HDMI output will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I looked at the manual and the digital coax audio out is the only connection. However, the manual doesn't state what the digital coax is capable of. On some older TVs the digital coax only worked for the internal tuner if using an antenna and not for the HDMI connection. I don't know if that is the situation with your TV. You can always get a sound bar with an HDMI input(s) and connect the Chromecast into that and the HDMI output from the sound bar goes to the HDMI input of the TV. There are many models that do this, if you have more devices you would want one with multiple HDMI inputs. If it is only the Chromecast the models with only one HDMI input and one HDMI output will work.
Thanks. I picked up a Craigslist soundbar with digital coax in and it works great!
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool. I'm glad your TV sends the HDMI audio to the digital coax.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Every TV that I have used will send HDMI IN audio out through the coaxial or optical output but often in 2 channel versus 5.1 channel audio. I have not encountered a TV that would not output any audio from HDMI inputs.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have, a lot of the older RPTVs and first generation flat panels that had HDMI.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I have, a lot of the older RPTVs and first generation flat panels that had HDMI.
Good to know. I learn something new everyday. I guess I never tried it on any of the very first flat panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page