Samsung HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #91 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
What is the difference between the MS650 and the MS660?
I just ordered the MS660
Is there a difference in sound quality when connecting thru optical or HDMI?
Thanks
I have not tested the optical connection myself but have read the HDMI sounds better.

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I got the MS660 today (presumably virtually the same as the MS650)
I had a hard time getting ARC to work, never used it before (only optical)
How do I get the soundbar to stay on?
It seems to shut down when I exit Netflix or another app

Last edited by jake51; 01-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #93 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need help in deciding !

Bought Samsung MS650 ($300)

Might have to spend more for the sub later (W700 sub $225. Already little over budget) .. total $525

I am not completely blown away with the sound. Especially the first 4K movie from Netflix I played was not sounding great.. The sound was not the loudest. Could've being firmware update issue or 5.1 sound coming from Netflix into soundbar. FYI: soundbar connected via HDMI (ARC) with the TV.

Can somebody help me make a decision of whether I should upgrade (or is it even an upgrade).
++ For additional $75; I can get MS750 (and then add W700 sub ($225) for later. Well over budget total $600)

++ For additional $100; I can get Samsung K850 ($400) (BUT sub-woofer is included .. total $400)

++ For additional $300+; get Bose Soundtouch 300 ($600) (no-sub with already so high price point).. total $600... (w/sub $1100.. way over budget)..

OR

should I stick with MS650 (add the sub when ready for it). Update the firmware, connect the soundbar via some other port (HDMI, optical etc) and/or some other suggestion. In essence, is it with saving $75 (MS750) or $100 (K850) I am compromising on the performance. I'm already spending close to $500; my expectations are much higher on this.

I don't plan to install the rear speakers for any of the above setup as the reviews are not great. This would add another ~$50 for all three setups. (Bose rear speakers +$300)

Please do recommend any other more worthy soundbar near this price point (~$400). Need a good reason if its more money.

My uses are: Movies, General TV viewing, Music via BT or Wifi (if available). Preferable to have the one remote ARC but ok with carrying 2 remotes.
Set up: Living room setup (standard rectangle room) with flat 10" ceilings. Soundbar would be mounted below the wall-mounted LG 65 OLED B7 TV, either to the wall or TV.

Last edited by morphtk; 01-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtk View Post
Need help in deciding !

Might have to spend more for the sub later (W700 sub $225. Already little over budget) .. total $525

I am not completely blown away with the sound. Especially the first 4K movie from Netflix I played was not sounding great.. The sound was not the loudest. Could've being firmware update issue or 5.1 sound coming from Netflix into soundbar. FYI: soundbar connected via HDMI (ARC) with the TV.

Can somebody help me make a decision of whether I should upgrade (or is it even an upgrade).
++ For additional $75; I can get MS750 (and then add W700 sub ($225) for later. Well over budget total $600)

++ For additional $100; I can get Samsung K850 ($400) (BUT sub-woofer is included .. total $400)

++ For additional $300+; get Bose Soundtouch 300 ($600) (no-sub with already so high price point).. total $600... (w/sub $1100.. way over budget)..

OR

should I stick with MS650 (add the sub when ready for it). Update the firmware, connect the soundbar via some other port (HDMI, optical etc) and/or some other suggestion. In essence, is it with saving $75 (MS750) or $100 (K850) I am compromising on the performance. I'm already spending close to $500; my expectations are much higher on this.

I don't plan to install the rear speakers for any of the above setup as the reviews are not great. This would add another ~$50 for all three setups. (Bose rear speakers +$300)

Please do recommend any other more worthy soundbar near this price point (~$400). Need a good reason if its more money.

My uses are: Movies, General TV viewing, Music via BT or Wifi (if available). Preferable to have the one remote ARC but ok with carrying 2 remotes.
Set up: Living room setup (standard rectangle room) with flat 10" ceilings. Soundbar would be mounted below the wall-mounted LG 65 OLED B7 TV, either to the wall or TV.
If it helps, I read on another forum where a user exhaustively tested a MS750 with the W700 subwoofer and said it transformed it. When asked, he advised that both the MS650 and MS750 were superior to the K850, when combined with the W700 woofer. I realise that's not empirical evidence but he sounded convincing! The subwoofer was the game changer and it is, by all accounts, a quality subwoofer, far superior to that in both the K850 and K950 sets.

I hope he's right, because I just bought the MS650 in part on the strength of that review. Will get it in a couple of weeks and will evaluate before buying the W700 a bit further down the line.
post #95 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM

sorry, new here and can't immediately see how to edit, but just wanted to add that the MS750 was noticeably better, but with the caveat that the MS650 wasn't bad at all. The general advice was that both, when combined with the W700, were superior to other units costing much more
post #96 of 148 Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 PM

well, how dumb do I feel. It was a thread on this very forum

I'd post the link but the bizarre forum rules won't allow me to post a link to its own forum pages, because I'm too new. What genius thought of that one? Just do a search for a thread titled "Samsung HW-MS750 Soundbar & SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub Hands-On"
post #97 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Need help in deciding !

OR

Where in the world are you getting the sub for $225? Is that a publicly available deal? Because if so, please PM me!
post #98 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

...if I add the SWA-W700 10" Wireless Sub to the HM-SW650 soundbar does the subwoofer then handle ALL the bass, leaving the soundbar everything else?
I'm just wondering if the soundbar will see a significant improvement is sound quality if it no longer has to handle all the low end bass frequencies if the sub is added?

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
post #99 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

...a follow up previous post...if the MS650 is paired with the sub, what are Samsung doing?....are they crossing over the bass from the built in drivers on the soundbar to the subwoofer or do they all play in unison?.....

post #100 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
...a follow up previous post...if the MS650 is paired with the sub, what are Samsung doing?....are they crossing over the bass from the built in drivers on the soundbar to the subwoofer or do they all play in unison?.....
Yes, all the low end frequencies are sent over to the sub-woofer freeing up the soundbar. This as reviewers have said, makes the soundbar sound even better.. I haven't put that to test myself though.
hsinnott likes this.
post #101 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Yoon View Post
Where in the world are you getting the sub for $225? Is that a publicly available deal? Because if so, please PM me!
Beachcamera every once in a while has the sub-woofer (open box) for $215 (thats correct $215) with no-tax (outside NJ) and free ship. They are very reliable/authorized retailer and prompt service. They also put the same item up for sale on amazon when available.
post #102 of 148 Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, all the low end frequencies are sent over to the sub-woofer freeing up the soundbar. This as reviewers have said, makes the soundbar sound even better.. I haven't put that to test myself though.
I'd seriously consider adding the subwoofer at a later date if the sound of the actual soundbar is improved...however i have not been able to find any reviews that go into detail about the subwoofer freeing up the soundbar when the sub is added...can you provide me with some links to such reviews...?

post #103 of 148 Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Has anybody owned both the Samsung MS650 and the LG SJ9?
Which soundbar has the best sound quality?
The SJ9 has a subwoofer, the MS650 does not
Dolby Atmos is not important to me
I got the Samsung a few days ago and like it
But now I can't stop wondering if I should have gone for the LG
The price is low right now for the SJ9
I would love to hear your experiences
post #104 of 148 Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Liked: 1
Problem with Audio pass-thru

Hey all, I swore I would never be one of "those guys" that can't figure out how to hook up their soundbar, but I can't figure out why I am not getting the proper coding being passed through. I have all my owner's manuals out trying to understand the formats and I just can't figure out what the settings should be!

I currently have all my video running thru my TV, and am running the soundbar from the digital audio out on my television (Panasonic TC-P50GT30 plasma). According to my TV owner's manual: "You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder and "Multi Channel" amplifier to the Digital Audio Out terminal. When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC channel is selected the output will be PCM."
According to the soundbar owner's manual, the "Supported play formats" are "LPCM 2ch, Dolby Audio (supporting Dolby Digital), DTS.
I understand that many times TVs only pass-thru 2 channels of audio, but here is where I am stumped: I get 3.0 channels from my Blu-Ray player, but only stereo from my Roku2 and cable box (it's an Arris box from WOW). I have all 3 set to output in Dolby Digital, so I can't figure out what setting is screwed up. It's either something in my TV or something is not being sent correctly from the Roku and cable box. Are there any experts that can help me out? Thanks in advance!
post #105 of 148 Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth57 View Post
Hey all, I swore I would never be one of "those guys" that can't figure out how to hook up their soundbar, but I can't figure out why I am not getting the proper coding being passed through. I have all my owner's manuals out trying to understand the formats and I just can't figure out what the settings should be!

I currently have all my video running thru my TV, and am running the soundbar from the digital audio out on my television (Panasonic TC-P50GT30 plasma). According to my TV owner's manual: "You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder and "Multi Channel" amplifier to the Digital Audio Out terminal. When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC channel is selected the output will be PCM."
According to the soundbar owner's manual, the "Supported play formats" are "LPCM 2ch, Dolby Audio (supporting Dolby Digital), DTS.
I understand that many times TVs only pass-thru 2 channels of audio, but here is where I am stumped: I get 3.0 channels from my Blu-Ray player, but only stereo from my Roku2 and cable box (it's an Arris box from WOW). I have all 3 set to output in Dolby Digital, so I can't figure out what setting is screwed up. It's either something in my TV or something is not being sent correctly from the Roku and cable box. Are there any experts that can help me out? Thanks in advance!
OK, maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that I had 3.0 running out of the Blu-Ray, but now that I listen again, it's only 2.0. Is there any way to pass-thru 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS to the sound bar from my television? Or is it limited to 2.0? I know my other television will output 5.1 if I select "external speakers" (this is how I have my living room set up). Will this TV not output 5.1, possible due to it's age?
post #106 of 148 Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 PM

I have bought the soundbar HW-M550/Za and I’m already thinking about returning it for HW-MS650.The total cost for 550 with the surround speakers is the same only for MS650. Do you think is a wise choice or not ?
post #107 of 148 Old 01-15-2018, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda View Post
I have bought the soundbar HW-M550/Za and I’m already thinking about returning it for HW-MS650.The total cost for 550 with the surround speakers is the same only for MS650. Do you think is a wise choice or not ?
The sound quality of the MS650 is amazing. We were watching curling for a few minutes on the TV, and we could clearly hear the rocks sliding along the ice, as if we were at the rink.

If you don't need or want a sub, then get this. The MS650 does well without a sub, but if you looking for a thunderous boom from explosions in movies, then you might want a system with a sub. Alternatively, you can get the MS650 and then buy the wireless sub later, if you feel it's lacking one.

I actually bought this as a gift for my bro/sis-in-law, and I was blown away by it. The wifi and bluetooth functionality also work well too. IMO, there's no reason to use bluetooth if wifi works well, but I digress. In my bro's case, he needed something for his upstairs bonus room to go with his 60" plasma. One of the issues he has is, the bedrooms are close to the bonus room, so he frequently turns down the volume while the kids/wife are sleeping. A system with a sub would be wasted on him, since they wouldn't be able to use it very often.

If you can find the MS650 for a good deal, then buy and try. Worst case, you return it if it's not to your liking, and get something else. The CSR I was talking to at London Drugs in Canada, was telling me a few customers returned the MS650 and went with a Klipsch soundbar system instead, since they were priced similarly at $400CAD during Boxing Week. I actually got a better deal, since another store (Memory Express) had them on sale for $300. I ended up getting that last unit in the store, which was open box, for $285CAD.
post #108 of 148 Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM

My MS650 arrived from Best Buy yesterday. $275 open box that pretty much looks brand new. Setup was a breeze. Used the optical input, My LG 4K tv doesn't have ARC(it's over 2 years old) I had tested it at Best Buy and was really impressed. Esp for the price. Setup was very easy. Was amazed with the sound. I put on Vikings, which I have been watching for years, and heard sounds on the opening credits I had never heard before. The movie mode definitely has a large soundstage feel to it. Tried some music using Tidal through Bluetooth on my Iphone and was really impressed. The bass was pretty impressive without the sub. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with people above and below me so doubt I will add the sub cause I don't want to piss off my neighbors. Debating on getting the rear speakers. Wondering how much that adds to the sound bar. Those on here seem to be mixed on that. While all agree the sub adds a lot haven't seen as much for the rear speakers. This soundbar is also a stopgap for the next year or two when i will upgrade to a Dolby Atmos/DTS:X soundbar as the quality of them hopefullly goes up and price goes down. Gotta say pretty impressed overall. I had a surround reciever and speakers for years but I am done dealing with wires and lots of speakers. Like the simplicity of having a soundbar.
post #109 of 148 Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i bought mine after reading this review and some others, couldn't be happier, my only concern was the wireless setup with samsung devices, it took some time to get it to work other than that the soundbar was amazing.
thanks very much
post #110 of 148 Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys- this is the most detailed and comprehensive review I have found for the HW-MS650 soundbar- truly a fantastic very detailed review which will answer 99% of peoples questions...please give him a thumbs up for such a great job!!....

post #111 of 148 Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I had bought a Klipsch RSB 11 that crapped on me in 2 days with loud static noise. I was considering for a reasonable alternative, and I want to give this a try.

So how does manufacturer warranty works on Open Box Excellent Condition Items from Best Buy? Does your receipt say anything about that? Is that 90 days or full 1 year ?

Does anyone have any opinion on comparison of Samsung MS650 with Klipsch RSB 11 or other model soundbars from Klipsch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoginit View Post
My MS650 arrived from Best Buy yesterday. $275 open box that pretty much looks brand new. Setup was a breeze. Used the optical input, My LG 4K tv doesn't have ARC(it's over 2 years old) I had tested it at Best Buy and was really impressed. Esp for the price. Setup was very easy. Was amazed with the sound. I put on Vikings, which I have been watching for years, and heard sounds on the opening credits I had never heard before. The movie mode definitely has a large soundstage feel to it. Tried some music using Tidal through Bluetooth on my Iphone and was really impressed. The bass was pretty impressive without the sub. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with people above and below me so doubt I will add the sub cause I don't want to piss off my neighbors. Debating on getting the rear speakers. Wondering how much that adds to the sound bar. Those on here seem to be mixed on that. While all agree the sub adds a lot haven't seen as much for the rear speakers. This soundbar is also a stopgap for the next year or two when i will upgrade to a Dolby Atmos/DTS:X soundbar as the quality of them hopefullly goes up and price goes down. Gotta say pretty impressed overall. I had a surround reciever and speakers for years but I am done dealing with wires and lots of speakers. Like the simplicity of having a soundbar.
post #112 of 148 Old 01-23-2018, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth57 View Post
OK, maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that I had 3.0 running out of the Blu-Ray, but now that I listen again, it's only 2.0. Is there any way to pass-thru 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS to the sound bar from my television? Or is it limited to 2.0? I know my other television will output 5.1 if I select "external speakers" (this is how I have my living room set up). Will this TV not output 5.1, possible due to it's age?
I had this same issue with my 2013 vintage Samsung F8500 plasma. That model only passes 2-channel audio through optical to the soundbar, unless you're using the TV's built-in apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc). Since I use an Apple TV for all my video streaming needs, I wound up getting an HDMI switcher, and now plug all my sources into the switcher, then run one HDMI cable to the soundbar. Couldn't be happier with the MS650, it's terrific.
post #113 of 148 Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Connect lg c7 Samsung HW-MS650 Sound by WIFI

Good evening
Im an happy owner of a Samsung HW-MS650 Sound , I notice that if i use the wifi connection with my tv it's works better than arc . I had a tv 49 samsung mu and it was possible to connect by wifi . i recently buy a lg c7 tv ( amazing tv ) but what it's drive me crazy is that i don't find any way to connect my sound bar using wifi instead of bluethoot on my new tv . Because as happened in my previuos tv i notice that the volume is slighty low if i use arc . Please help me , i would be so grate
thank you
Travis299 likes this.
post #114 of 148 Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi Valerio View Post
Good evening
Im an happy owner of a Samsung HW-MS650 Sound , I notice that if i use the wifi connection with my tv it's works better than arc . I had a tv 49 samsung mu and it was possible to connect by wifi . i recently buy a lg c7 tv ( amazing tv ) but what it's drive me crazy is that i don't find any way to connect my sound bar using wifi instead of bluethoot on my new tv . Because as happened in my previuos tv i notice that the volume is slighty low if i use arc . Please help me , i would be so grate
thank you
Ditto, I have the exact same problem with my LG 65B OLED TV & MS650.
post #115 of 148 Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I’m having a strange issue with my soundbar. Periodically my soundbar will all of a sudden shut off. Then it gets worse, it basically freezes up and goes into this infinite loop of turning off, turning back on and turning back off. Leaving it alone will eventually resolve it, however it seems to be getting worse. When it is stick in this loops I can’t use the remote or the buttons on the soundbar. It happens in both HDMI mode and ARC mode but seems to happen more frequently with HDMI mode.
post #116 of 148 Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Over the last couple of months I noticed that the MS650 has become less loud and crisp.
I constantly need to bump up the volume and treble to have it sound somewhat like it did out of the box.
If I don't use 'smart' or 'clear voice' the sound I'm getting from the tv is almost muffled.

anyone else experiencing this?

Or is the 'wow-factor' period over, and have I grown accustomed to the sound and finding it bland
I was thinking of getting the sub for it, but not too sure now.
post #117 of 148 Old 08-10-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Does anybody have any detailed descriptions on what the various sound modes do exactly? Reading things from other sites just give generic descriptions that don't really mean anything.

For example, what does "Movie" actually do vs "Standard"? Just internal EQ adjustments? Does it have any effect on the dynamic range?

And what does "Smart" actually do also? When watching a movie and comparing between Movie and Smart, there's a noticeable difference in sound. Same thing when listening to music and comparing between Music and Smart.

I can't find any real documentation on what Smart mode does other than generic speak like "adjust for appropriate content".

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #118 of 148 Old 09-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Problem with HW-MS650 Cannot hear dialogue

Got MS650 today, paired it with 700 sub. Dialogues are muffled to the point, I cannot understand the voices in the Movie or Standard or Smart modes. Only Music and Clear Dialogue sound normal. Any thoughts on that? What am I doing wrong?
post #119 of 148 Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 AM

Hello,
Anyone has this soundbar with a PS4 Pro?
How does it work with the 3.0 setup?
Can the PS4 use the center speakers as intented?

Cheers!
post #120 of 148 Old 09-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Does anybody have any detailed descriptions on what the various sound modes do exactly? Reading things from other sites just give generic descriptions that don't really mean anything.

For example, what does "Movie" actually do vs "Standard"? Just internal EQ adjustments? Does it have any effect on the dynamic range?

And what does "Smart" actually do also? When watching a movie and comparing between Movie and Smart, there's a noticeable difference in sound. Same thing when listening to music and comparing between Music and Smart.

I can't find any real documentation on what Smart mode does other than generic speak like "adjust for appropriate content".
I find SMART very loud and disturbing. I use Movie, Music and Clear Voice only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
ms650 , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page