2017 VIZIO Sound Bar Collection - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #31 of 529 Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 517
IMO, 3.1 is better for dialog clarity. That's my #1 priority for getting a soundbar. Otherwise, I'd stick with TV speakers. There aren't many 3.1 soundbars out there. Cheap ones are all 2.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 529 Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yeah, I love the 3.1. the sound is great and the boom from that slim factor sub is great (my neighbors probably hate me right now). For the price I paid, I can't complain. Will prob stick with it but will most likely add the new Vizio 2.1 in the bedroom.

Gotta say, dollar for dollar the Viz bars are just great
post #33 of 529 Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamoon View Post
Please let us know how the replacement works out!
Finally got my replacement 36" Smartcast soundbar. Everything working perfectly so far, so second time's a charm.

Hooked it up to the P50-c1 using HDMI-ARC in a small room. I use this setup mostly for PC and console gaming, and occasional TV (Amazon/Netflix) watching.

Very pleased with the surround imaging... the soundstage is nicely balanced* and the panning objects seem very precise and in the right place. The subwoofer is fairly small and doesn't go subsonic, but with that said, I'm surprised at times for how deep it can get. And pretty loud, too.

*The sub's deep bass can be a little more isolated than I'm used to, probably because of the size. It's currently placed on my left, and some of the sound seems to be balanced on the left at times. I'm going to need to mess with position and room placement of the sub to try to centralize bass.

I haven't messed with the SmartCast option, and not sure I'll bother.

For $250, the Vizio SB3651-E6 is a solid 5.1 performer, especially with games - pleased with my purchase!
mastamoon, dapoktan and naustin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 529 Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently bought the SB3851-D0 only for Vizio to release the SB3651-E6 right after my purchase. The newer model has the wireless rear speakers that I wished my model that has to plug them into the subwoofer doesn't.

Besides that and 2" bar size difference, what are the other differences between the two models? The older model I have sells for $50 more on Vizio's website yet can be purchased new for far less like $179.88 at Sams Club whereas the newer model is hard to find many vendors and not much price flexibility between the few.

I have yet to come across a direct comparison article between the two especially by someone who professionally tested both but have come across articles that compare the 2016 model with older models. If anyone has seen such an article, please link me.

Any other information abiut differences is also appreciated.
post #35 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by polargirl View Post
I recently bought the SB3851-D0 only for Vizio to release the SB3651-E6 right after my purchase. The newer model has the wireless rear speakers that I wished my model that has to plug them into the subwoofer doesn't.

Besides that and 2" bar size difference, what are the other differences between the two models? The older model I have sells for $50 more on Vizio's website yet can be purchased new for far less like $179.88 at Sams Club whereas the newer model is hard to find many vendors and not much price flexibility between the few.

I have yet to come across a direct comparison article between the two especially by someone who professionally tested both but have come across articles that compare the 2016 model with older models. If anyone has seen such an article, please link me.

I got the SB3651-E6 last weekend ($228 at Walmart). It says it has wireless, but you have to plug the rear speakers into the subwoofer. The SB itself is wireless to the subwoofer.
It has HDMI video passthrough (HDMI out) but for HDMI 1.4 only. If you want to use with 4K TV, the video source has to go to the TV first then audio returned to the SB. If you do that and you want the SB to decode DD/DTS, then the TV's audio out has to support passthrough (bitstream).

The Chromecast feature is awesome. The Google home will recognize it and even turn it on to cast Pandora in 5.1.

The subwoofer power is manual switch only and not connected to the remote or wifi for power control. The output levels of the sub and rear can be changed with the remote or wifi though.
DaverJ, sparky7 and FlaSheridn like this.
post #36 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
What's the process of reconnecting?

Also, do you use CEC, so the soundbars/subwoofers automatically turn on when you turn the TV on?
I have the SB3651-e6. I haven't noticed any disconnects yet. The SB itself can be turned with CEC, but the Sub/rear has a manual power switch. There is also a connect button that I would think could be used if a disconnect happened. The LED on the sub will blink if it's not connected.
post #37 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I have the SB3651-e6. I haven't noticed any disconnects yet. The SB itself can be turned with CEC, but the Sub/rear has a manual power switch. There is also a connect button that I would think could be used if a disconnect happened. The LED on the sub will blink if it's not connected.
I also have the SB3651-e6. Don't really need to turn the Sub/rear on or off with the manual power switch, it goes into sleep automatically when the bar isn't being used, and wakes up when a signal is present.

So far, zero disconnects between bar and sub, and CEC is working perfectly.
post #38 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinNYC View Post
how well do these play with older TVs?

buddy of mine is considering the SB3651 for his family room. he currently has just an STB and 1st gen chromecast, and his tv is an old samsung beast (i think B750 series, circa 2008/9)

what would be his best method of hookup so that he can take advantage of the 5.1? i mentioned that since chromecast passes thru the TV, it will only be 2channel audio, and suggested going STB > TV with HDMI and STB>Visio with optical.

or should he use the SB as a passthru, and stick the chromecast right into one of the inputs?
The SB has a better chance of supporting different audio formats over HDMI than a 2008 TV does. The SB3651-e6 supports HDMI 1.4 (1080P) video passthrough to TV, so I would get an HDMI 1.4 switch box to go between STB and Chromecast with one HDMI to SB, then HDMI output from SB to old TV. I do that with a 2009 Sony Xbr9 and it works great.
The SB has built in chromecast audio as a bonus.
post #39 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Finally got my replacement 36" Smartcast soundbar. Everything working perfectly so far, so second time's a charm.

Hooked it up to the P50-c1 using HDMI-ARC in a small room. I use this setup mostly for PC and console gaming, and occasional TV (Amazon/Netflix) watching.

Very pleased with the surround imaging... the soundstage is nicely balanced* and the panning objects seem very precise and in the right place. The subwoofer is fairly small and doesn't go subsonic, but with that said, I'm surprised at times for how deep it can get. And pretty loud, too.

*The sub's deep bass can be a little more isolated than I'm used to, probably because of the size. It's currently placed on my left, and some of the sound seems to be balanced on the left at times. I'm going to need to mess with position and room placement of the sub to try to centralize bass.

I haven't messed with the SmartCast option, and not sure I'll bother.

For $250, the Vizio SB3651-E6 is a solid 5.1 performer, especially with games - pleased with my purchase!
What do you use for your video/audio source for Netflix or Pandora to the TV to use with ARC. Do you bitstream audio from the TV to the SB for Netflix to get 5.1 sound, or does the TV decode and send LPCM to the SB?
post #40 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you use for your video/audio source for Netflix or Pandora to the TV to use with ARC. Do you bitstream audio from the TV to the SB for Netflix to get 5.1 sound, or does the TV decode and send LPCM to the SB?
I set the TV's digital audio out option to bitstream. I believe it sends surround ok? The TV is a Vizio P50.

I only do minor Netflix casting with my setup, so I haven't messed too much with it. Mostly video games.
post #41 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I set the TV's digital audio out option to bitstream. I believe it sends surround ok? The TV is a Vizio P50.

I only do minor Netflix casting with my setup, so I haven't messed too much with it. Mostly video games.
Good, I was hoping the SB could decode Netflix (DD+/EAC3) over HDMI on it's own.
I play video games using a Nvidia Shield TV via gamestream from a PC. It plays in 5.1 on the SB without going through a TV, but I'm not sure how it's decoding because the game has DTS logos all over the intro screens, but the amber light on the SB never lights up.
post #42 of 529 Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I got the SB3651-E6 last weekend ($228 at Walmart). It says it has wireless, but you have to plug the rear speakers into the subwoofer. The SB itself is wireless to the subwoofer.
It has HDMI video passthrough (HDMI out) but for HDMI 1.4 only. If you want to use with 4K TV, the video source has to go to the TV first then audio returned to the SB. If you do that and you want the SB to decode DD/DTS, then the TV's audio out has to support passthrough (bitstream).

The Chromecast feature is awesome. The Google home will recognize it and even turn it on to cast Pandora in 5.1.

The subwoofer power is manual switch only and not connected to the remote or wifi for power control. The output levels of the sub and rear can be changed with the remote or wifi though.
If the satellite speakers have to be plugged into the subwoofer, then it is no different than the SB3851-D0. Might as well get the 2" bigger bar for cheaper at Sams Club for $179.88 or go to Best Buy and ask for a price match guarantee against Sams Club price.
post #43 of 529 Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If the satellite speakers have to be plugged into the subwoofer, then it is no different than the SB3851-D0. Might as well get the 2" bigger bar for cheaper at Sams Club for $179.88 or go to Best Buy and ask for a price match guarantee against Sams Club price.
Does that one have Google Home support with Chromecast audio features?
post #44 of 529 Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just notice a couple more videos popped up on youtube about this soundbar.

post #45 of 529 Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Does that one have Google Home support with Chromecast audio features?
Yes on both. I've used Chromecast but not Home. From what I am reading, a firmware update (which I did) is necessary to use Google Home but it does support it. I am not sure if Chromecast also needs the firmware update to be fully usable since I did the update before trying Chromecast.
post #46 of 529 Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yes on both. I've used Chromecast but not Home. From what I am reading, a firmware update (which I did) is necessary to use Google Home but it does support it. I am not sure if Chromecast also needs the firmware update to be fully usable since I did the update before trying Chromecast.
I see no reason to get the 2017 model. I have the '17 model, but I'm keeping it. There may be some improvement that isn't apparent right now. Maybe something like DD+ (HDMI only) support for Netflix. I don't want any surprises later on.
post #47 of 529 Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I see no reason to get the 2017 model. I have the '17 model, but I'm keeping it. There may be some improvement that isn't apparent right now. Maybe something like DD+ (HDMI only) support for Netflix. I don't want any surprises later on.
I don't know why bigger bars cost more money when they don't necessarily produce more sound but they do. They are surprisingly cheaper at Sams's Club with most merchants like Walmart and Bestbuy willing to price match Sams.

If you can't take back your 2017 model, not much point anyway. The difference will probably be the last firmware update towards the end of both models' lives but I could be wrong hence why I posted here to begin with.
post #48 of 529 Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM

The SB3851-e6 'EQ' settings have Direct, Movie and Music settings. This feature is not just an 'EQ', because it upmixes 2.0 sources to 2.1, 3.1 or 5.1 depending on the 'Surround' and 'EQ' settings. Pandora and Youtube (2.0 sources) will play in 5.1 if Surround is ON and EQ is Movie or Music. With Direct, it is 2.1. If Surround is OFF and EQ is Movie or Music, and the source is 2.0, it will play in 3.1.

That is weird!

Also the power button on the subwoofer doesn't do anything.
post #49 of 529 Old 06-13-2017, 11:21 AM

ok, so the subwoofer power switch does turn off the subwoofer if you turn it off before the main soundbar while the 'pair' LED is still on solid. If you turn off the sound bar first, the 'pair' LED on the subwoofer blinks to indicate it's not paired anymore, but the s.woofer's power button will not turn off the blinking LED unless you disconnect the power cord.
post #50 of 529 Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...the s.woofer's power button will not turn off the blinking LED unless you disconnect the power cord.
The LED will eventually stop blinking (off) after a period of inactivity/no sound. It will turn back on when it receives a signal from the sound bar, and will blink for a while when the sound bar is shut off.

In other words, the power button and LED light on the sub can be totally ignored - everything is set and forget.
post #51 of 529 Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM

BB has open box offer on this Vizio
SB3651-E6
soundbar. It's $70 off of their $249.99 price for a new one. Just brought one.

OPEN-BOX EXCELLENT (Product looks brand new and includes all original parts and accessories.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-sm...?skuId=5768100

Last edited by Chingu808; 06-20-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #52 of 529 Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
SB3651-E6

OPEN-BOX EXCELLENT (Product looks brand new and includes all original parts and accessories.)

Good deal!

I've used the replacement SB3651-E6 I got direct from Vizio for a couple weeks now connected to a Vizio P-50, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a solid performer, sounds very good (price considering), excellent soundstage, and no issues with ACR or wireless disconnects.
post #53 of 529 Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Good deal!

I've used the replacement SB3651-E6 I got direct from Vizio for a couple weeks now connected to a Vizio P-50, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a solid performer, sounds very good (price considering), excellent soundstage, and no issues with ACR or wireless disconnects.
I have seen the open box offer before the past few weeks but I could never add it to my cart & my local store never had them in stock. My final price was $138 after using some BB GC's. Passed on the 2016 models after reading all the problems people were having with them. Should be getting this by Thur or Fri.
post #54 of 529 Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone use the HDMI input on the soundbar? I have my soundbar hooked up via ARC to my Vizio M series and hooked up my Nvidia Shield to the HDMI input on the soundbar. For some reason though, the soundbar input will only show up as 1080p. If i plug in the device into any of the regular TV inputs, it shows up as 4k. Can the soundbar not pass through 4k video back to the TV? Thanks!
post #55 of 529 Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
SB3651-E6

BB just posted another open box offer for the Vizio SB3651-E6.
post #56 of 529 Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor343 View Post
Does anyone use the HDMI input on the soundbar? I have my soundbar hooked up via ARC to my Vizio M series and hooked up my Nvidia Shield to the HDMI input on the soundbar. For some reason though, the soundbar input will only show up as 1080p. If i plug in the device into any of the regular TV inputs, it shows up as 4k. Can the soundbar not pass through 4k video back to the TV? Thanks!
Nope, only 1080p

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #57 of 529 Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm new to soundbars. Are Vizio soundbars actually the best price/performance option or should I spend more on another brand/model?
post #58 of 529 Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZyWillie View Post
Nope, only 1080p

Thanks!
post #59 of 529 Old 06-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
I'm new to soundbars. Are Vizio soundbars actually the best price/performance option or should I spend more on another brand/model?
Go buy it, you won't regret it. Buy the 5.1 sound bar.

dishdude1 likes this.
post #60 of 529 Old 06-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody have a guess as to why the SB3651-E6 isnt being sold by Amazon yet? There is one listing for it now, but is a 3rd party and likely fake.

Trying to clear out their inventory before offering the newest stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page