2017 VIZIO Sound Bar Collection - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #61 of 529 Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I noticed Amazon doesn't sell the new 5.1. I ended up buying mine at Best Buy and got it priced match to Wal-Mart's price.

So far my experience with the 5.1 is good. The app is very nice to have and works well most times. The bass is more than enough for me and the center channel is a life saver when watching certain shows/movies where voices are hard to hear. Wish it had 4k passthrough. For the price, however, you can't beat it.

I noticed hissing coming from the satellite speakers and returned it for another one. The hissing/feedback or static is still there and I'm wondering if some better quality speaker wire like the Monoprice High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video) , will help reduce or even better eliminate the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 529 Old 07-05-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by therest View Post
I noticed Amazon doesn't sell the new 5.1. I ended up buying mine at Best Buy and got it priced match to Wal-Mart's price.

So far my experience with the 5.1 is good. The app is very nice to have and works well most times. The bass is more than enough for me and the center channel is a life saver when watching certain shows/movies where voices are hard to hear. Wish it had 4k passthrough. For the price, however, you can't beat it.

I noticed hissing coming from the satellite speakers and returned it for another one. The hissing/feedback or static is still there and I'm wondering if some better quality speaker wire like the Monoprice High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video) , will help reduce or even better eliminate the issue.
Not hearing hissing from the satellite speakers on my setup. Maybe try plugging the sub into a different outlet..?
post #63 of 529 Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Not hearing hissing from the satellite speakers on my setup. Maybe try plugging the sub into a different outlet..?
I was binging on my latest show late last night and didn't hear it once, and I had my surround sound levels pretty high. I will say though that I didn't have the overall volume too loud. Will check again tonight. This was through Amazon Video. Regardless, will my audio quality get better with those Monoprice audio cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 529 Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was binging on my latest show late last night and didn't hear it once, and I had my surround sound levels pretty high. I will say though that I didn't have the overall volume too loud. Will check again tonight. This was through Amazon Video. Regardless, will my audio quality get better with those Monoprice audio cables?
I wouldn't think so.

Maybe a little, but based on the limited size and efficiency of those satellite speakers, the cables don't seem like the week link in the chain.
post #65 of 529 Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't think so.

Maybe a little, but based on the limited size and efficiency of those satellite speakers, the cables don't seem like the week link in the chain.
I see.

I read somewhere that some people used other speakers as satellites. When I tried researching compatible ones, or satellite type speakers, they all had a power and ground. Are there speakers that have just one plug like the Vizio satellites or would I just need a specific wire to make it work with the typical power/ground set up on most speakers and the Vizio subwoofer?
post #66 of 529 Old 07-06-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I read somewhere that some people used other speakers as satellites. When I tried researching compatible ones, or satellite type speakers, they all had a power and ground. Are there speakers that have just one plug like the Vizio satellites or would I just need a specific wire to make it work with the typical power/ground set up on most speakers and the Vizio subwoofer?
I don't know the answer, but keep in mind Vizio matched the satellite speakers to the front bar. I would think changing the back speakers could potentially throw off audio imaging and balance.
post #67 of 529 Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't know the answer, but keep in mind Vizio matched the satellite speakers to the front bar. I would think changing the back speakers could potentially throw off audio imaging and balance.
That does make sense. I'll keep that mind while I continue to enjoy as is.
post #68 of 529 Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I see.

You should be able to find unpowered bookshelf speakers with RCA inputs like the Vizio uses.
post #69 of 529 Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
I see.

You have to replace the Vizio cable with these. Also make sure your replacements are 8 ohms and don't require much power.
https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Sp...MCPFGW74B569JD

Edit: I did it in 2014 for my 54 incher with its big 8 inch sub. No problems to date. YMMV.

Last edited by naustin; 07-08-2017 at 09:54 AM.
post #70 of 529 Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM

So the hissing/static feedback has come back. It is really annoying. I'm wondering what could be the issue. I hear it only from the two satellites. Any help is appreciated. Also to DaverJ, what are your audio settings. Maybe my settings are on the extreme levels. This is the original reason why I wanted the change the audio cables since they seem so thin.
post #71 of 529 Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Ok, so I continued messing with my settings and have seen a major improvements after setting my EQ to Direct. Both the Movie and Music setting cause the static. Must be some of the way they process the EQ? Not sure but I am very curious if anyone here also noticed an improvement when changing to this setting. I really hope this solves the issue for good. FYI I have everything set to zero except for Bass (3) and Surround Volume (5).
post #72 of 529 Old 07-08-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also to DaverJ, what are your audio settings.
I just reset mine back to factory default, but switched the EQ to movie mode and reduced the surround levels.

You shouldn't be hearing hiss from the rear speakers - there's either interference involving the sub (possibly power?), or you have a faulty system.
guacamoleparty likes this.
post #73 of 529 Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, so I continued messing with my settings and have seen a major improvements after setting my EQ to Direct. Both the Movie and Music setting cause the static. Must be some of the way they process the EQ? Not sure but I am very curious if anyone here also noticed an improvement when changing to this setting. I really hope this solves the issue for good. FYI I have everything set to zero except for Bass (3) and Surround Volume (5).
Hey @therest - what devices (TV, box, etc.) are you using with the soundbar, and what output settings is each device? If possible, can they all be set to "bitstream"?

I'm using a Vizio P50 TV that has Bitream as a Sound Option, and also game consoles that have bitstream output. I'm using an HDMI cable from the TV's input 1 to the soundbar, using HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) on the soundbar.
post #74 of 529 Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 AM

@DaverJ, I'm using a Hisense H8C with a Direct TV Genie Mini. Im using the Digital Optical connection. I didn't like the HDMI ARC (through the cable box) way because I use both the cable box and the TV apps and when I alternate between the two it seems like I have change the audio setting to make the sound come out when going from cable box to the TV apps. Anyways, Im not sure about the bitstream. Like I said in a previous post, once I changed the EQ to Direct the hissing/static went away pretty much completely.
post #75 of 529 Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
I'm not surprised you hear the hissing from your surrounds in "Movie EQ" and the surround volume boosted 5.

I noticed some faint hiss as well when set to "Movie EQ." and the volume was up a bit. This EQ setting is obviously boosting certain frequencys as well as the levels in certain frequency bands to give a little more oomph and to make dialogue stand out a bit more. In doing so it also raises the noise floor and thus your hear hiss from your surround speakers. Hopfully in future firmware updates they will do a better job at this to mitigate any hiss. I have also noticed though when watching 5.1 sources in "Movie EQ" the sound field narrows a bit.

I'm a bit torn weather to use "Direct" of "Movie EQ".... In some instances I prefer the sound and from Direct but it does lack some impact that "Movie EQ" brings to the table especially for action sequences.

I have it plugged in via ARC on my Vizio P50-c1.
post #76 of 529 Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gandalf View Post
I'm not surprised you hear the hissing from your surrounds in "Movie EQ" and the surround volume boosted 5.

I noticed some faint hiss as well when set to "Movie EQ." and the volume was up a bit. This EQ setting is obviously boosting certain frequencys as well as the levels in certain frequency bands to give a little more oomph and to make dialogue stand out a bit more. In doing so it also raises the noise floor and thus your hear hiss from your surround speakers. Hopfully in future firmware updates they will do a better job at this to mitigate any hiss. I have also noticed though when watching 5.1 sources in "Movie EQ" the sound field narrows a bit.

I'm a bit torn weather to use "Direct" of "Movie EQ".... In some instances I prefer the sound and from Direct but it does lack some impact that "Movie EQ" brings to the table especially for action sequences.

I have it plugged in via ARC on my Vizio P50-c1.
If all you get is a faint hiss when set to "Movie EQ" I would use it. I, on the other hand, have a very clear and loud hiss that doesn't make me think twice using "Direct". The hiss is the same when with all settings set to zero, including the surround volume, so it's a no brainer to use "Direct". Also, this coming from a non audiophile, got use to the "Direct" sound, so I don't miss the impact from "Movie EQ". Hope you get it all figured out. I'm starting to enjoy mines more, I just need buy some speark mounts to correctly position my satellites speakers.
post #77 of 529 Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
If all you get is a faint hiss when set to "Movie EQ" I would use it. I, on the other hand, have a very clear and loud hiss that doesn't make me think twice using "Direct". The hiss is the same when with all settings set to zero, including the surround volume, so it's a no brainer to use "Direct". Also, this coming from a non audiophile, got use to the "Direct" sound, so I don't miss the impact from "Movie EQ". Hope you get it all figured out. I'm starting to enjoy mines more, I just need buy some speark mounts to correctly position my satellites speakers.
The manual states that in 'direct' mode with surround off you will get 3.1 from a 2.0 source (Pandora)
With 'direct' and surround on, you will get 2.1 from a 2.0 source.
With EQ on 'movie' or 'music' you will get 5.1(Not true 5.1) from a 2.0 source. (I think its like Dolby Pro Logic II)
I think it's not just an EQ and can do some DSP stuff like Dolby Pro logic II upmixing.

In reality, sometimes this is true that you need to use 'movie' or 'music' for 5.1 from 2.0, but most of the time I get 5.1 from 2.0 no matter what the EQ setting as long as surround is 'on'.

I found that some odd sounds/ hissing from the rear speakers happen when the source isn't DD/DTS, but with a proper source, the rear speakers sound great. Maybe it's different when the SB is decoding the DD/DTS instead of being fed a multi-channel PCM source.
Using rear speakers with different resistance than the original can cause a change in levels, but the level options can be used to set them properly. Different signal wires won't make a difference unless they are shielded or put through a filter either active or passive.
naustin likes this.
post #78 of 529 Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do Vizio soundbars play nice with Sony TVs?
post #79 of 529 Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando457 View Post
Do Vizio soundbars play nice with Sony TVs?
I use the sb3851 with a Sony Xbr9 from 2009. It's a 1080 TV.
This is how it's connected: Sources => HDMI => Switch box => HDMI => SB HDMI IN => SB HDMI OUT => HDMI => TV HDMI IN

The HDMI passthrough for video to the TV works just fine for 1080P (HDMI 1.4), but will not pass through 4K video (HDMI 2.0).
If you get a 4K TV, you will have to put the video/ audio into the TV first so it can play the video and pass the audio out to the SB.
If you have to do this, it's up to the TV to pass the correct audio signal either coded or uncoded.
You can do this with HDMI ARC or SPDIF (optical or coaxial)
If you want DD+ out from the TV (for Nexflix), it can only be over HDMI ARC due to bandwidth, and the TV has to support DD+ passthrough.

The HDMI CEC controls work with my Sony also.

I don't see any reason why the Sony brand would affect the useage of the SB other than what features a specific model of Sony TV has.
post #80 of 529 Old 07-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have an issue with my wireless subwoofer. The soundbar is connected to a Vizio M50-D1 via HDMI-ARC. The soundbar will turn on and off with the TV. After a few hours of being off - the subwoofer will not automatically wake up when the soundbar turns on.

It's almost like a deep sleep as it will wake up after a few minutes of turning off the tv/soundbar and the subwoofer is "sleeping". (blinking light turns off)

I've tried a factory reset - but it still does it.
post #81 of 529 Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit4ever View Post
I have an issue with my wireless subwoofer. The soundbar is connected to a Vizio M50-D1 via HDMI-ARC. The soundbar will turn on and off with the TV. After a few hours of being off - the subwoofer will not automatically wake up when the soundbar turns on.

It's almost like a deep sleep as it will wake up after a few minutes of turning off the tv/soundbar and the subwoofer is "sleeping". (blinking light turns off)

Are you doing anything to the subwoofer - hitting any buttons?

My sub wakes up with the bar, and goes to sleep (blinking light, eventually no light) without any operation on my end. I'm connected to HDMI port 1 on a P50 and using HDMI-ACR on the soundbar with the TV's remote -- which automatically turns on and off the bar+sub when the TV turns on and off. There is about a 5 second delay when the bar comes on before the sub wakes up.
post #82 of 529 Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Not pushing any buttons to turn off. I'm forced to use the power button on the subwoofer to turn it on if its been asleep for a few hours.

One other issue (i think) is that the soundbar is coniuously broadcasting its SSID. Perhaps this is due to the way the smartcast app connects to the soundbar? I would assume that after setting up the soundbar and joining my network that it would not be broadcasting its own wifi network.
post #83 of 529 Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One other issue (i think) is that the soundbar is coniuously broadcasting its SSID. Perhaps this is due to the way the smartcast app connects to the soundbar? I would assume that after setting up the soundbar and joining my network that it would not be broadcasting its own wifi network.
Hmmmm... that might be a clue? I don't have the soundbar connected via Ethernet, and haven't set up the Vizio app. I've been changing settings via the soundbar's remote.

Good luck, I hope you figure out what's going on.

Last edited by DaverJ; 07-30-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #84 of 529 Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:

I have the same issue with my unit; that's what caused me to find this thread.

I like the soundbar, but if I have to turn the subwoofer on manually, it sort of kills the experience. Glad to know it's not normal behavior, but now I have to try and figure out what's causing it.
post #85 of 529 Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Vizio tech support had me turn off teh eco power mode - but it didn't seem to help. I have a bluetooth transmitter nearby - if the soundbar communicates with the subwoofer over bluetooth frequencies maybe that's the issue. I'll have to test.
post #86 of 529 Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie Zastrow View Post
I have the same issue with my unit; that's what caused me to find this thread.

I like the soundbar, but if I have to turn the subwoofer on manually, it sort of kills the experience. Glad to know it's not normal behavior, but now I have to try and figure out what's causing it.
What connections do you have to the soundbar? Have you tried re-pairing the sub+bar via the remote?
post #87 of 529 Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Only connection to the soundbar is the hdmi-arc from my Vizio m50-d1. My fire tv is connected to hdmi 2 on my tv. Unfortunately since the soundbar hdmi in is only hdcp 1.4 - I can't connect the fire tv directly to it.

I have paired them again...but still have the problem. They will turn on and off together fine within about an hour. After a few hours of being off, the subwoofer will not wake up.

Could someone who is only using the hdmi-arc connection confirm they do not have this subwoofer issue?
post #88 of 529 Old 07-30-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
What connections do you have to the soundbar? Have you tried re-pairing the sub+bar via the remote?
HDMI In, HDMI Out, AUX In.

I've used Chromecast to start playing audio, HDMI in source-on to start playing audio, and I've also tried powering on the soundbar manually; unless I recently turned off the soundbar, I have to power-on the subwoofer manually.

Re-pairing has been done multiple times: I've done it manually and via the app (not sure about the remote, but probably).

Today I also tried a factory reset, which didn't make the issue go away.
post #89 of 529 Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could someone who is only using the hdmi-arc connection confirm they do not have this subwoofer issue?
I am only using HDMI-arc and do not have that subwoofer issue.

Maybe a firmware thing...?
post #90 of 529 Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 AM

My firmware is listed as V0.4.0.2

-- Another issue I've come across is that the soundabr will only report stereo audio if my fire tv is connected to the soundbar hdmi in. If I plug the firetv into the vizio tv hdmi ports and then send the audio to the soundbar via arc - i get dolby digital +.

Seems like there is an issue with soundbar hdmi in edid??

Last edited by edit4ever; 07-31-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page