Soundbar Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Question Soundbar Help

So currently I have an older Zvox 580 sound base in my living room, and have been happy with it. However I've gotten the itch to change things up a bit -- just not sure what direction to go. I have a dedicated theater for serious listening, but appreciate anything that can provide better fidelity in the open living room.

I've been toying with the idea of the Martin Logan Vision (older model) as Cruchfield has them on sale now for $699. Also toying with the idea of something that has a sub out, and getting an SVS SB1000 that could fit in my Salamander cabinet.

Any thoughts / input would be appreciated...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
IMO sound bars are great for smaller rooms, but not living rooms. I have one in the bedroom and it sounds amazing. At one point I considered replacing my livingrooms in walls with a sound bar so I moved it from the bedroom to the living room and it sounded awful.

My 2 dollars (since pennies are pointless)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
IMO sound bars are great for smaller rooms, but not living rooms. I have one in the bedroom and it sounds amazing. At one point I considered replacing my livingrooms in walls with a sound bar so I moved it from the bedroom to the living room and it sounded awful.

My 2 dollars (since pennies are pointless)
I agree totally, but having a dedicated space already I'm just trying to find a solution that might be a litter nicer than the zvox. Otherwise I suppose I could just add a sub to the 580 I have now, and call it a day...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 3141
Putting a sub into a cabinet often results in the worst possible sound. Not only do you lose out on the ability to correct dips and peaks in the frequency response by moving the sub around in the room (look up "sub crawl" for more on this idea), but you end up with all sorts of reflections and resonances from the cabinet itself. My suggestion would be to let the sub breathe free!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Putting a sub into a cabinet often results in the worst possible sound. Not only do you lose out on the ability to correct dips and peaks in the frequency response by moving the sub around in the room (look up "sub crawl" for more on this idea), but you end up with all sorts of reflections and resonances from the cabinet itself. My suggestion would be to let the sub breathe free!
That you for the input -- I am aware of this. I'm simply looking for for something that might be a nicer solution than the zvox in my living room, and looking to those who have more experience with the newer soundbars than I. I'm not concerned with nailing down into all the nuances of SQ for this purpose -- it is a soundbar after all. I have a dedicated and fully tuned media room for that purpose (4k projection, full dsp correction, flat to 14hz at reference).

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
I'm glad you are realistic with "it is a sound bar after all". That being said I think you will notice a big upgrade with the Vision sound bar, especially in detailed midrange and highs. The vision even among newer models is near the top of the heap for sound quality with sound bars. I'm not sure how the bass in the vision will compare with two 6.5 woofers in the Zvox. I would guess the Zvox would have more output in the bass range, I'm not sure about better bass though. A small sub would certainly be a welcome addition to either system but in cabinet placement would not be recommended. A small sub to the side of that cabinet should not be too intrusive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page