Polk MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar w/Stereo Dimensional Array Launched - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 73 Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by decbro007 View Post
Hi there

JBL Bar 5.1 sub woofer is unbelievable it shakes the room with amazing power and depth which I really like. However I need to keep charging the surrounds which I am finding slightly annoying, unlike the Magnifi Max SR which has powered surrounds.

My question is this:

Does the sub woofer have real depth and power? Can you feel it? Is it room shaking. This is the real deal breaker for me.

Thanks
Having owned the JBL Century 100's, forty-five years ago, I can appreciate your hunger for ultra lows. I recommend, since you have some time on your purchase, you buy the Max SR and audition the system in your house. If you remain with the JBL, return the Polk. If you like the Polk, return the JBL.

The Polk sub does its fair share of bric-a-brac rattling. Whether it's enough for you is your call to make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L100.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2334818  
LeeSoFl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 73 Old 12-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Personal preference is what it's all about. I'm finding subwoofer sound right on the money, with four adjustable ticks to either side of center default. I hung the surrounds yesterday (no easy task for all-concrete walls and ceiling.) As a quick example, ran the first couple of minutes of "Passenger," and the low-end kicked! A scene or two later, when he rides the elevator through the ship, the full effect was terrific. Went upstairs for a couple of minutes while the film continued, and I could fell the sub doing its thing. We're on a concrete slab with eight inches of poured concrete between the first and second floor.

I'm not sure store auditions are the best place to really get the feel of speakers, especially.

Happy here... only snag was getting Google Home to recognize the Polk. The modem is in the cabinet to the left of the bar, so it wasn't signal strength. Deleted the GH app, reloaded it and it found the device. Otherwise I would have snaked the ethernet through, glad I didn't have to do that.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year!
Do you know if this soundbar supports Dolby Digital Plus or is it just normal Dolby Digital and DTS. I couldn't get a straight answer from Polk Audio or Crutchfield.
J Ng is offline  
post #33 of 73 Old 12-25-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
Do you know if this soundbar supports Dolby Digital Plus or is it just normal Dolby Digital and DTS. I couldn't get a straight answer from Polk Audio or Crutchfield.
It doesn't specify since the manual says (regarding using the Aux input vs HDMI input,) "Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio decoding are not supported when using the AUX input."

But:

The discrete 5.1 “core plus extension”
design of Dolby Digital Plus ensures
the finest discrete surround sound
experience over both 5.1 and 7.1
playback systems. Blu-ray Disc
content providers can deliver—
in a single bitstream—a discrete
7.1-channel soundtrack while
simultaneously supporting a
fully discrete 5.1-channel mix.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...data-sheet.pdf
LeeSoFl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 73 Old 12-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks, soundbar companies are so vague with specific decoder types... I'll purchase this and test this so enough.
J Ng is offline  
post #35 of 73 Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Member
 
Topper_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys - i'm the one who has the MagniFi Max SR in Asia. Got it a couple of weeks back and really been enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
I had a chance to listen to the Polk Magnify Max in the store the other day. It was okay. The bass was very poor and a deal breaker for me, in my opinion. Other than that, I really felt the sound envelope me up to about 10ft away.
Must not have been set right or the sub might have been turned down way too low. I find the sub surprisingly strong and well defined for a sound bar sub. Really fills our room well. Next time your back at the store, ask to borrow the remote and try adjusting it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by decbro007 View Post
My question is this:

Does the sub woofer have real depth and power? Can you feel it? Is it room shaking. This is the real deal breaker for me

Thanks
It definitely has good depth and power... for a sound bar sub. Reminds me a lot of the Polk PSW111 sub if anyone's familiar with that. Can't think of any other sound bar i've come across with as powerful a subwoofer. (Last thing I want to do is hype anything up and highly recommend you audition it for yourself when you get the chance. But as soundbars go, its pretty awesome )


Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
Do you know if this soundbar supports Dolby Digital Plus or is it just normal Dolby Digital and DTS. I couldn't get a straight answer from Polk Audio or Crutchfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
Thanks, soundbar companies are so vague with specific decoder types... I'll purchase this and test this so enough.
It supports regular Dolby Digital and DTS via both the HDMI and Optical connections.
Topper_ is offline  
post #36 of 73 Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Long time lurker here.

I received the MagniFi Max for Christmas. The soundbar was intended to replace a 2.1 system with Polk studio monitors and a Yamaha receiver.
Bottom line: I was pretty disappointed and am returning the system

Since this is a new system and there are probably out there looking for feedback, I wanted to share some quick thoughts. For context. I tested on a number of sources in a rectangular room and downloaded the latest software. I'm not an audiophile, so these comments should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

The good:
1. Set up was a total breeze and, as a nice touch, Polk actually includes all necessary cables (optical/HDMI).
2. The bass is excellent. Very punchy and sounded particularly good on the Skorponok scene in the first Transformers movie.
3. Sounded very good with jazz, good tone, but....

The bad:
1. Complex orchestration was muddy, particularly on music (streamed and via disk through an Xbox) but also noticed it in Avengers. Quick percussion and dynamic shifts seemed to be particularly bad. "Postscript" by Ambitions was a complete train wreck. Surprisingly (given the good bass), the system also struggled with TUFF by Aesop Rock.
2. When the bass isn't fully engaged, the sound is clear but very thin.

Hope this is useful!
EyeSteet is offline  
post #37 of 73 Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSteet View Post
I received the MagniFi Max for Christmas. and downloaded the latest software.
Appreciate your comments. Anyone who owns the SR should be a valuable resource to Polk, since this hit the market only a week ago.

I've got it under a 75" TV and it does well with movies, (4K, UHD from Netflix, Amazon etc.) There's solid bass, not over- exaggerated, and the pair of surrounds (wall mounted) fill the space nicely. The room is 15 x 25, a family room, open to the kitchen area.

The disappointment for me is when watching news or two channel television. Without "Voice Adjust" at full, speech seems directionless, thin, and almost out-of-phase. There is a setting for two channel (music button pressed twice) but that does not give a satisfactory result. After having the Klipsch RSB-14 for a few months, I can say the Polk is better for 5.1 movie viewing, but the Klipsch had far better sound contour for standard television content.

Eyestreet- I do have a question about "downloaded software." I'm hooked up through Google Home and the wifi indicator is illuminated on the rear of the bar, but how did you download software and how can you tell if and when the Polk is updating?

Thanks, and Happy New Year

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 12-28-2017 at 07:51 AM.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #38 of 73 Old 12-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received the Magnifi Max SR 1,5 week ago. I totally agree with LeeSoFL about his experiences with the soundbar, the Magnifi performs good with movies from netflix and a good audio source. However I do feel the bar and the surrounds lack a little bit of bass. It makes the sound a little bit thin. Almost all of the bass is coming from the subfwoofer which does a good job actually.

Unfortunately I have a serious issue watching tv. While watching tv in cinemamode or sportsmode the rear speakers produce a hizzing/buzzing noise when someone is talking. I can best compare it with the disturbance you hear on a radio when someone is calling on a mobile phone. It's a high noise and makes watching tv inaudible, because off all the high pitch noises you hear behind you. It was the first sound I heard turning the soundbar on while watching tv. I was pretty dissapointed. I performed a reset with the reset button at the back of the soundbar, it didn't solve the issue. The soundbar is connected through HDMI ARC, no issues there. With a good audio source there is no buzzing noise when people are talking. I do hear noise, I think from the frequency, on the rear speakers, even when no sound is playing. This noise however is only audible when you put your ear in front of the rear speakers. I think it is in it's design or software and not a defect, because when I play music in music mode the rear speakers don't produce this high pitch sound.

Polk should adress this issue as fast as possible if this can be done by a software update. When I turned it on the first time I got a report from Google Home the soundbar is updating with new software, so I really hope this will solve the issue. Only then I feel its a good purchase. For now I will contact my reseller and try an exchange to see if the problem occurs on a different set too.
veniors is offline  
post #39 of 73 Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
John Wick 2 on Cinemax sounded very good. Great screeching and punches, lots of crash'em up. Dialogue (for what that's worth in this movie) was clear, cut through the effects well. The surrounds were crisp with quick response. (Some bars I know have significant lag getting the signal to the wireless rears.)

Tuned over to War Dogs on HBO and the sound was just fine. There's more music track on this movie and the Polk handled it admirably.

So why am I not more pleased with it ten days in? I wanted to watch a year-end review on MSNBC, and it felt as if the sound floor collapsed. Checked a few other channels (w/DD) and it's the same thing. Totally flattens out, directionless to the point I would swear it was out-of-phase. There is no way to fatten up the sound, and this is discouraging. The three sound fields options don't help.

I understand this is still a soundbar, not a five speaker setup where you'd need movers.

(also still not able to get Polk power off through the Comcast XR11 remote.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2337408   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2337410  
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #40 of 73 Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Eyestreet- I do have a question about "downloaded software." I'm hooked up through Google Home and the wifi indicator is illuminated on the rear of the bar, but how did you download software and how can you tell if and when the Polk is updating?


>> Sorry for the delayed response. When I added the bar to Google Home the app indicated software was downloading.
EyeSteet is offline  
post #41 of 73 Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSteet View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. When I added the bar to Google Home the app indicated software was downloading.
Thanks, GH shows the soundbar as a connected device. Polk told me once the soundbar connects to your home network, updates are automatic. Updates do not rely on being logged in to Google Home. When powered on, the soundbar will install the update.

I currently have version 71.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #42 of 73 Old 01-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Thanks, GH shows the soundbar as a connected device. Polk told me once the soundbar connects to your home network, updates are automatic. Updates do not rely on being logged in to Google Home. When powered on, the soundbar will install the update.

I currently have version 71.
I only saw the message the first time, so that tracks. That said -- only kept if set up for about 5-6 days so there may/may not have been additional updates. I intended to use the bar for music too, so the poor performance there on fast/loud music was a deal-breaker.
EyeSteet is offline  
post #43 of 73 Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got mines today. I'm mainly using it for movies. Agree w/ everyone that it depends on the audio source. My main issue w/ it is the lowest volume is still too loud for me. I need to turn on night time mode and set min bass and voice to be acceptable at night.

BTW, have anyone noticed that the subwoofer have intermittent crackling sound? The rear surrounds are fine, I do noticed that the rear SNR isn't the best but it's usable.
J Ng is offline  
post #44 of 73 Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
I just got mines today. I'm mainly using it for movies. Agree w/ everyone that it depends on the audio source. My main issue w/ it is the lowest volume is still too loud for me. I need to turn on night time mode and set min bass and voice to be acceptable at night.

BTW, have anyone noticed that the subwoofer have intermittent crackling sound? The rear surrounds are fine, I do noticed that the rear SNR isn't the best but it's usable.
Are you using ARC from a TV? How is it connected. Many TVs have an adjustment in the sound menu for either "volume offset" or "output level control" that can lower (or raise) the line level signal.

I haven't had any crackling but occasionally I get a split second "chirp" from the rear speakers. Has only happened a few times, and generally there is some shot change in the video.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #45 of 73 Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm using kodi via Nvidia shield and this device set the volume to max when a passthrough is used. However I accidentally was able to reduce shields volume and it's working better for me now. I tried both way arc and direct.
About the cracking crutchfield is exchanging this system for me so hopefully it'll work as I expected it to...
J Ng is offline  
post #46 of 73 Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sync drop?

Anyone here experienced frequent wireless sync drop out? Of 4 days I got 2 sync drop out. I'm getting this replaced due to hearing popping/cracking noise from the sub. I'm just curious if these two issues are related. Thanks
J Ng is offline  
post #47 of 73 Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exchanging this for a nakamichi 7.1 DTSX

After testing the sound bar for a few more days (exchanged w/ another Magnifi) I gave up and I'm going to try the Nakamichi 7.1 DTS:X for a small cost difference. The issue w/ polk is the subtleness of the woofer poping, losing sync, some audio track that has muffled voice, and low SNR on the rear speakers. I believe this could all be fixed w/ firmware update, but I just don't want to wait and see. I also like the Nakamichi because of all encoding support (compatible w/ both DTS:X and Dolby Atmos; not just normal DTS and DD). I also heard they fixed all the poping and muffled sound that polk is dealing w/ right now.
J Ng is offline  
post #48 of 73 Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
I'm going to try the Nakamichi 7.1 DTS:X
Good luck, hope it works out. The surrounds on the Nak are not wireless, and that would not have worked for me.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #49 of 73 Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Alexious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Was anyone able to compare the Magnifi Max to the Yamaha 207?
Alexious is offline  
post #50 of 73 Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
European owner of the Magnifi Max SR here. Having the same issues with crackling sub (mostly prevalent when there's only talking and little to no bass. Had my distributor exchange...same result.

I too believe this is something that could be resolved in software...it's definitely related to the handling of the audio streams so I hope to get Polk's attention to investigate and evaluate a software fix.

Other than that it's a great system...
Sebastian Mauer is offline  
post #51 of 73 Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Filed this with Polk (seems their european customer support is handled trough Denon (seems Sound United/DEI owns most of the brands out there now))
Found many more instances of customers with similar subwoofer issues across the web....it's about time they take it seriously.
Sebastian Mauer is offline  
post #52 of 73 Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Diesel Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We have a very large great room with vaulted loft. New Sony 900e. For years I have used Sennheiser wireless headphones to watch TV because the audio particularly for dialogue is so poor. We don't typically care to have a "moving" experience, just want to understand what is being said. I was looking at the Polk Soundbars and thinking the clear voice might help?
Diesel Pro is offline  
post #53 of 73 Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The disappointment for me is when watching news or two channel television. Without "Voice Adjust" at full, speech seems directionless, thin, and almost out-of-phase. There is a setting for two channel (music button pressed twice) but that does not give a satisfactory result. After having the Klipsch RSB-14 for a few months, I can say the Polk is better for 5.1 movie viewing, but the Klipsch had far better sound contour for standard television content.
I am debating between the Klipsch rsb-11 which is the same as the rsb-14 minus the wifi extras with ability to add surround and this MagniFI Max (with or without surround). I'm not too concerned about the surround speakers, I would like them but it would be hard adding them in my room with two couches side by side backed up to the wall. I'm sure both will sound great but is there a big difference between the bass?
Jay Pierce is offline  
post #54 of 73 Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pierce View Post
I am debating between the Klipsch rsb-11 which is the same as the rsb-14 minus the wifi extras with ability to add surround and this MagniFI Max (with or without surround). I'm not too concerned about the surround speakers, I would like them but it would be hard adding them in my room with two couches side by side backed up to the wall. I'm sure both will sound great but is there a big difference between the bass?
I've had the Polk now for two months. I must be getting used to the result with two-channel content (news etc) although this remains my biggest gripe. Last night (while the house was quiet) I watched the last half hour of "Wonder Woman" and was completely happy with the volume, clarity and room shaking bass I find in the sound of the Polk MagnifiMax(SR).

To answer one of your questions, I find the Polk has a more satisfying deep bass. The down-firing sub driver, IMO gives a richer thrust than the side mounted Klipsch. The Klipsch soundbar is a lot more substantial in size than the Polk, but I'm liking the quirky shape and appearance of the Polk bar. I'd posted a picture of my cabinet on the first page of this thread.

They're both good for 3.1 I would still go with the Polk.

Crutchfield and Polk (and I guess BestBuy that sells both) offer no hassle returns, so you might want to give the Polk an audition.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #55 of 73 Old 02-25-2018, 01:30 AM
Member
 
luism2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Mauer View Post
European owner of the Magnifi Max SR here. Having the same issues with crackling sub (mostly prevalent when there's only talking and little to no bass. Had my distributor exchange...same result.

I too believe this is something that could be resolved in software...it's definitely related to the handling of the audio streams so I hope to get Polk's attention to investigate and evaluate a software fix.

Other than that it's a great system...
I was having the same problem.. Polk didn't know what it was (it had just come out) But I fixed by somehow making sure that the outlet that I plugged to subwoofer was (i am guessing) not the same as the one for the bar .. once I did that the blips and thumps went away..

good luck
luism2008 is offline  
post #56 of 73 Old 02-25-2018, 01:31 AM
Member
 
luism2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Mauer View Post
Filed this with Polk (seems their european customer support is handled trough Denon (seems Sound United/DEI owns most of the brands out there now))
Found many more instances of customers with similar subwoofer issues across the web....it's about time they take it seriously.
will copy my answer :

I was having the same problem.. Polk didn't know what it was (it had just come out) But I fixed by somehow making sure that the outlet that I plugged to subwoofer was (i am guessing) not the same as the one for the bar .. once I did that the blips and thumps went away..

good luck
luism2008 is offline  
post #57 of 73 Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I have the SR model and the surrounds are only speakers that occasionally give me a problem. I get a momentary "high pitched snap," sort of like a chirp.

The other rear speaker issue is very low pops, almost like someone is shooting fireworks off in the distance.

All four speakers are plugged into different electric sockets around the room, although they're probably all on the same circuit.

I've done re-syncs of all four speakers, but the infrequent problems continue.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #58 of 73 Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I've had the Polk now for two months. I must be getting used to the result with two-channel content (news etc) although this remains my biggest gripe. Last night (while the house was quiet) I watched the last half hour of "Wonder Woman" and was completely happy with the volume, clarity and room shaking bass I find in the sound of the Polk MagnifiMax(SR).

To answer one of your questions, I find the Polk has a more satisfying deep bass. The down-firing sub driver, IMO gives a richer thrust than the side mounted Klipsch. The Klipsch soundbar is a lot more substantial in size than the Polk, but I'm liking the quirky shape and appearance of the Polk bar. I'd posted a picture of my cabinet on the first page of this thread.

They're both good for 3.1 I would still go with the Polk.

Crutchfield and Polk (and I guess BestBuy that sells both) offer no hassle returns, so you might want to give the Polk an audition.
So I got the Klipsch rsb-11 and loved the sound, however I had a hissing/static sound coming from the soundbar. It didn't get any louder when turning up the volume but it was there and I could hear it when the volume was low. It bothered me so much that I returned it for another and the replacement does the same thing. I have gotten a clean power strip that didn't do any good and tried other outlets in my house. There doesn't have to be anything else hooked up, just the power and it's also worse from the left side. I then got the Polk Magnifi max without surround and it does have more bass but the sound quality I feel is not as good as the Klipsch overall. I had both plugged in and switching back in forth while watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and there is a lot of missing audio from the Polk. The Klipsch has much better highs. There is much more depth in the sound quality from the Klipsch. It doesn't mean I hate the Polk sound, if I never got the Klipsch I would absolutely love the Polk, it sounds much better than the LG SH7B that I returned. I wish I could get the hissing to stop or at least lower it so I don't hear it at low volumes at night. My wife only hears it if it's low and I say something. It doesn't bother her, just me. I have found that others have complained about it online here and there so I'm not sure how big of an issue it is. I did go to BestBuy and listen to their display and could hear the same noise so it seems like a fairly big issue. Maybe most people just don't notice.. Did you ever notice any louder than normal hissing/static from the rsb-14?
Jay Pierce is offline  
post #59 of 73 Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pierce View Post
Did you ever notice any louder than normal hissing/static from the rsb-14?
I had no issue with a hissing with the Klipsch, and don't hear it on the Polk. The only issue I've mentioned on the Polk company forum is faint pops (almost like distant firecrackers) in the wireless rear speakers. Also an occasional loud chirp also from the rears.

No word on those issues back from Polk yet.
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #60 of 73 Old 03-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ng View Post
After testing the sound bar for a few more days (exchanged w/ another Magnifi) I gave up and I'm going to try the Nakamichi 7.1 DTS:X for a small cost difference. The issue w/ polk is the subtleness of the woofer poping, losing sync, some audio track that has muffled voice, and low SNR on the rear speakers. I believe this could all be fixed w/ firmware update, but I just don't want to wait and see. I also like the Nakamichi because of all encoding support (compatible w/ both DTS:X and Dolby Atmos; not just normal DTS and DD). I also heard they fixed all the poping and muffled sound that polk is dealing w/ right now.
How did the Nakamichi 7.1 DTS:X work for you? Just curious. I was looking forward to the Polk Magnifi Max SR but looking into other options.
Spidey322 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
magni-fi max , polk , soundbar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off