Polk MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar w/Stereo Dimensional Array Launched - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey322 View Post
How did the Nakamichi 7.1 DTS:X work for you? Just curious. I was looking forward to the Polk Magnifi Max SR but looking into other options.
I really like the NAK DTS-X 7.1 . The sound is balanced and after the Firmwave update, I like it even more with more. They increased the resolution of the volume to increments by 2 rather than 5, so I have more control. Its supports all DTS sounds, but my only issue is it's only DD compatible. This is only an issue if you use SHIELD and stream netflix, hulu, prime, etc where you don't have the full DD sound (the stream service are DD+, not DD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My apologies...searches aren't finding a non-SR Polk Magnifi Max owner's thread...if I missed it, please point me in the right direction. However, my issue should be applicable to both systems. Is it normal for DTS/AAC audio to be much lower volume on this soundbar than Dolby/AC3? I never had this problem on previous soundbar (Sony)...they were the same volume. Just curious if there is a setting I should look at on the source or on the soundbar?

Last edited by mikeynavy1; 08-18-2018 at 09:07 PM.
post #63 of 73 Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love it! Looks like I bought it at the right time, new firmware update, works flawlessly. I actually like it better than my 2500.00 Yamaha system that the max SR replaced. The only bad experience I've had so far is that the customer service absolutely sucks donkey dick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter1707 View Post
Love it! Looks like I bought it at the right time, new firmware update, works flawlessly. I actually like it better than my 2500.00 Yamaha system that the max SR replaced. The only bad experience I've had so far is that the customer service absolutely sucks donkey dick.
Having lived through the VERY LENGTHY process of having Polk get it right, you're lucky to have jumped to the head of the class with your new purchase.

Enjoy the sounds.
post #65 of 73 Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Quote:
Having lived through the VERY LENGTHY process of having Polk get it right, you're lucky to have jumped to the head of the class with your new purchase.

Enjoy the sounds.
One thing I'm noticing, however, is that the soundbar doesn't always respond to the remote's even in clear line of site; sometimes I have to press a button 3 or 4 times...but yes, sounds are simple but awesome.
post #66 of 73 Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
John Wick 2 on Cinemax sounded very good. Great screeching and punches, lots of crash'em up. Dialogue (for what that's worth in this movie) was clear, cut through the effects well. The surrounds were crisp with quick response. (Some bars I know have significant lag getting the signal to the wireless rears.)

Tuned over to War Dogs on HBO and the sound was just fine. There's more music track on this movie and the Polk handled it admirably.

So why am I not more pleased with it ten days in? I wanted to watch a year-end review on MSNBC, and it felt as if the sound floor collapsed. Checked a few other channels (w/DD) and it's the same thing. Totally flattens out, directionless to the point I would swear it was out-of-phase. There is no way to fatten up the sound, and this is discouraging. The three sound fields options don't help.

I understand this is still a soundbar, not a five speaker setup where you'd need movers.

(also still not able to get Polk power off through the Comcast XR11 remote.)
Not sure if you figured the remote out by now, but the ir learning function for the max sr actually works for the xr15 remote, not sure why or how, but out of desperation I tried it and it worked. So the x1 remote now controls the sound bar including power on/off.
post #67 of 73 Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 AM

Does anyone know if "music mode" and "movie mode" is saved to the input your using? Lile listening to music with chromecast the switching to tv or a movie...there is no indicator, it would be nice to know...otherwise I may be pushing movie or music button every time I change my programming source for no reason.
post #68 of 73 Old 09-22-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if "music mode" and "movie mode" is saved to the input your using? Lile listening to music with chromecast the switching to tv or a movie...there is no indicator, it would be nice to know...otherwise I may be pushing movie or music button every time I change my programming source for no reason.
GoGetter - I took the easy route for the remote control, using the 5 digit code from Comcast for Polk equipment. It gives me volume and mute, the power goes on when the TV is powered up. The only thing missing was power off, but I find the soundbar turns off after a short period of time when the TV is turned off.

The sound mode has to be selected each time if there are different choices for individual inputs.
post #69 of 73 Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM

I spoke too soon, soundbar wigged out and started maxing the volume out all on it's own. I took the batteries out of the remote, reset the bar, unplugged everything, and it still maxed the volume out every time I turned it on. They are now sending me out a new system. But this was a new system, wtf.
post #70 of 73 Old 09-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Is there a system with wireless wifi rears other than sonos? I want lossless audio.
post #71 of 73 Old 10-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Enjoy the sounds.
Hi Lee. I saw your comments on the Polk forum thread, too https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussi...are-updates/p3. Did the latest firmware solve your issues?

I was leaning toward the Sonos Beam, but an additional $1000 to add surround speakers and a sub was choking me. The Magnifi also checks boxes the Sonos Beam doesn't (DTS, multiple HDMI inputs/switching). While syncing with the rest of my Sonos speakers for whole-house sound would be nice, I can live without it for the price difference. Most of my family's usage will be broadcast TV (Comcast), Netflix streaming via AppleTV or Roku, and Blu-rays. We don't listen to a lot of music in that room.

Assuming the popping noise issues were resolved, would you buy the Polk Magnifi again?

-Duncan

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #72 of 73 Old 10-25-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Assuming the popping noise issues were resolved, would you buy the Polk Magnifi again?

-Duncan
Hi Duncan,

Short answer is, yes I would because it finally sounds good and it's flexibility fits perfectly in the room it's in. The rears are flanking French Doors with an outlet on each side. Full length curtain panels are on both sides of the door, so the thin surround power cord is hidden.

The performance of the Max SR is very good, I haven't experienced any loss of bass from the sub, and the previous (brutally annoying to me and the dog) pops and snaps have vanished.

The price ($500 on sale periodically) is reasonable.

A few months ago I got a 65" Sony F for the den and got the matching Sony soundbar, a 2.1 system with a feature called Vertical, and it sounds exceptional. The den is 12x15x9, so it's a lot smaller than the family room that has the 75" and the Polk. The Polk fills the space nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDI Sweep 2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2473232  
post #73 of 73 Old 10-26-2018, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Hi Duncan,

Short answer is, yes I would because it finally sounds good and it's flexibility fits perfectly in the room it's in. The rears are flanking French Doors with an outlet on each side. Full length curtain panels are on both sides of the door, so the thin surround power cord is hidden.

The performance of the Max SR is very good, I haven't experienced any loss of bass from the sub, and the previous (brutally annoying to me and the dog) pops and snaps have vanished.

The price ($500 on sale periodically) is reasonable.

A few months ago I got a 65" Sony F for the den and got the matching Sony soundbar, a 2.1 system with a feature called Vertical, and it sounds exceptional. The den is 12x15x9, so it's a lot smaller than the family room that has the 75" and the Polk. The Polk fills the space nicely.
Thanks for the reply, Lee. I ordered the system Saturday while it was still on sale for $499, with free shipping and no sales tax from Crutchfield. I'm hoping to set it up this weekend.
LeeSoFl likes this.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
magni-fi max , polk , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page