Polk MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar w/Stereo Dimensional Array Launched - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 73 Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15471
Polk MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar w/Stereo Dimensional Array Launched

The latest soundbar from Polk Audio—MagniFi Max—uses the Stereo Dimensional Array technology that company founder Matthew Polk invented to create a wide, detailed soundstage. It comes with an 8" subwoofer, and the SR edition packs wireless speakers ino the box for plug-and-play 5.1 surround-sound. Click this link to read more: Polk Launches MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar with Stereo Dimensional Array

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The latest soundbar from Polk Audio—MagniFi Max—uses the Stereo Dimensional Array technology that company founder Matthew Polk invented to create a wide, detailed soundstage. It comes with an 8" subwoofer, and the SR edition packs wireless speakers ino the box for plug-and-play 5.1 surround-sound. Click this link to read more: Polk Launches MagniFi Max SR 5.1 Soundbar with Stereo Dimensional Array
Product has potential Mark. I've always read good things about their sound quality. Unfortunately I've also read about their legendary poor reliablity. What are your thoughts on current Polk sound bars?
post #3 of 73 Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
My limited experience with Soundbars has been disappointing.

How many feet past this 43 inch wide soundbar will the 3 channel effect hold? 6 feet? 8 feet? 10 feet?

Then it (all or most soundbars?) transitions into a mono-sound like soundfield, how far away then is that mono-sound soundfield fully in effect? 12 feet? 14 feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 443
The Max SR has had a two-page inside front cover ad in S&V several times over the last six months. Polk's site says release Oct '17, so I'm looking forward to get this as soon as it's available. The reviews of the Mini have been very favorable, and hopefully the SR's will be too.

This would be my first soundbar. I just ordered the Sony 75Z9D and a BDI Sweep cabinet, which is almost 80" wide, so space along that wall has become a little tight.

The only question I have for (anyone) Polk is what the soundbar speaker layout looks like. Are all 7 drivers front-firing? My bar would be placed in open speaker cubby of the cabinet. Top or side firing drivers might prove to be a problem.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8438-cwl-6.jpg (278.3 KB, 95 views)
post #5 of 73 Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The Max SR has had a two-page inside front cover ad in S&V several times over the last six months. Polk's site says release Oct '17, so I'm looking forward to get this as soon as it's available. The reviews of the Mini have been very favorable, and hopefully the SR's will be too.

This would be my first soundbar. I just ordered the Sony 75Z9D and a BDI Sweep cabinet, which is almost 80" wide, so space along that wall has become a little tight.

The only question I have for (anyone) Polk is what the soundbar speaker layout looks like. Are all 7 drivers front-firing? My bar would be placed in open speaker cubby of the cabinet. Top or side firing drivers might prove to be a problem.
All of the drivers on this soundbar are front-firing.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 73 Old 08-28-2017, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
All of the drivers on this soundbar are front-firing.
Thank you for that information, imagic.

Blistering quick too!
post #7 of 73 Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDR Input Question

The inputs on my Sony TV show HDMI#2 and HDMI#3 being "18Gbps @ 60p" Since one of those is used for the ARC, how can you check whether a soundbar, for example, has the same quality spec for the inputs on that device? The Polk Max SR I'm looking at says, for all three inputs: "Pass-Through: 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision."

I contacted them to ask whether their read on HDR is 18G/60p or the lesser 10.2G/24p.
post #8 of 73 Old 11-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just ordered one today, although I don't think it's out yet. Anyone actually get one? Can anyone provide feedback on sound quality? I need a sounbar for my main floor set up. I have a full 5.1 set up with decent floor standers in my HT cubby downstairs, so this is just for casual watching and listening. TV is on top of the fireplace with no room for any AV gear, except a soundbar. I'm upgrading from a Boston TVee M30, which I've had for ages.

Based in the Magnifi Mini reviews, I'm hoping this will be a great soundbar. There seem to be no reviews out on this bar yet.

Here's what I like about it:
5.1 channels
4k pass through
WiFi music streaming via Google Cast
Low profile
DTS and Dolby 5.1
Price for the features

Here is what I don't like about it:
No DTS-HD or TrueHD
No high res audio or mentionable DAC like some other bars out there.

Any comments are welcome.
post #9 of 73 Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The MaxSR has not been released yet. It's been pushed to late December. Reviews earlier this year were very positive, especially as a big brother to the Mini.

From an email I received today from Polk:

""the official response to your inquiry is, "we are currently working on improvements to the product to make it the best release possible," and unfortunately this additional development has delayed the official release of the product.

At the moment I see no information indicating that another release pushback is something to expect, so the current release date is still slated for December 2017.""
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	90
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2316574  
post #10 of 73 Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the information. I suppose it's not a terrible thing if they delay to make the product better and work out any possible bugs. I'm in the application development industry and I know all too well what that is like.
post #11 of 73 Old 11-25-2017, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to see Polk posted several intro videos for the "Magnifi Max SR" a few days ago:

Makes me optimistic that the real thing is coming soon. Polk site says Dec 2017 and Crutchfield has 12/22 as (receive/ship) date.

I'm disappointed with the Klipsch RSB14 I have, and this Polk will replace that soundbar (for the Sony 75Z9D.)
post #12 of 73 Old 12-19-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

SR Max shipped today, just in time for Christmas!
post #13 of 73 Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
SR Max shipped today, just in time for Christmas!
Where did you order from!!? How do you know it has shipped?
post #14 of 73 Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss24 View Post
I ordered it from Crutchfield and they sent me the tracking number for UPS delivery on Thursday.
post #15 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered it from Crutchfield and they sent me the tracking number for UPS delivery on Thursday.
Thanks for the reply! I have ordered mine from there too. Hopefully this means that mine will ship soon too.
post #16 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I have ordered mine from there too. Hopefully this means that mine will ship soon too.
This has been a real "tooth pull." I ordered it mid August because Polk had been advertising it in Sound and Vision since May. In August, I got the Sony 75Z9D and Crutchfield said the Polk was on back order waiting for new product release. So I waited, and the Polk release date was moved to Sept, then Oct, then Nov and finally December.

Crutchfield told me in October they'd ordered 50 of them, so anyone who pre-ordered would get first shipment. You might want to call your sales rep and see if you were in their first run.

As for Polk, I have to question their marketing of this soundbar. There are two models, one with surround speakers for $600 and a $500 version without the rear speakers, (just bar and sub.)

They released the less expensive (two piece) model first, and although it was only a few days earlier, you'd think they would offer the $600 Max SR first, encouraging buyers to go for the extra $100.

Anyway, they're both available now, with Polk telling me a few times, "they wanted to get everything right before shipping them out."

Their recent videos on youtube (see above) were a good substitute until the real thing arrived.
post #17 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
This has been a real "tooth pull." I ordered it mid August because Polk had been advertising it in Sound and Vision since May. In August, I got the Sony 75Z9D and Crutchfield said the Polk was on back order waiting for new product release. So I waited, and the Polk release date was moved to Sept, then Oct, then Nov and finally December.

Crutchfield told me in October they'd ordered 50 of them, so anyone who pre-ordered would get first shipment. You might want to call your sales rep and see if you were in their first run.

As for Polk, I have to question their marketing of this soundbar. There are two models, one with surround speakers for $600 and a $500 version without the rear speakers, (just bar and sub.)

They released the less expensive (two piece) model first, and although it was only a few days earlier, you'd think they would offer the $600 Max SR first, encouraging buyers to go for the extra $100.

Anyway, they're both available now, with Polk telling me a few times, "they wanted to get everything right before shipping them out."

Their recent videos on youtube (see above) were a good substitute until the real thing arrived.

^^ Very helpful. I don't think Crutchfield is being helpful to me (may be lack of long standing relationship). When I tried to get any information from them, they pointed me to the 12/22/2017 date on their website. Chat and phone operator just repeated that line.

I guess I will just wait till 12/22/2017 for an update and then get something from bestbuy, we have people coming over for new years weekend.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know! Appreciate all your help.
post #18 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I tried to get any information from them, they pointed me to the 12/22/2017 date on their website.
Can you check online as to the status of your order?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	2333130  
post #19 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Can you check online as to the status of your order?
Says out of stock (see attached). Is there someone particular at Crutchfield you like working with?

Let us know how it is once you get your hands on it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2333138  
post #20 of 73 Old 12-20-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Says out of stock (see attached). Is there someone particular at Crutchfield you like working with?

Let us know how it is once you get your hands on it!
With my kind of luck, I'd be number 51 of the 50 they received. Crutchfield is a lead distributor for Polk, so I'm sure they're going to restock very quickly.

Took apart the component system today and put it in storage. Let you know how it sounds.

This was from someone who received it a few days ago (located in Asia):

"Its excellent in every way! I'm not normally one to get impressed easily but if you closed your eyes and didn't know better, you'd never in a million years guess its a soundbar playing all that beautiful music! I use a lot of Spotify so this aspect is particularly important to me and its great. Especially in all-stereo mode.

As for movies, it gets loud and really fills the room. And sounds very full (not thin). I like it better than the small blackstone setup. And the surrounds work great. Way better than I thought they would especially since they are so tiny.

I know it sounds like i'm hyping it up and there's no way its going to live up to it but that's why I'm encouraging you guys to hear it for yourselves. It really changes the game when it comes to soundbars. Every single friend who has heard the system in action has had their jaw drop."
post #21 of 73 Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
With my kind of luck, I'd be number 51 of the 50 they received. Crutchfield is a lead distributor for Polk, so I'm sure they're going to restock very quickly.

Took apart the component system today and put it in storage. Let you know how it sounds.

This was from someone who received it a few days ago (located in Asia):

"Its excellent in every way! I'm not normally one to get impressed easily but if you closed your eyes and didn't know better, you'd never in a million years guess its a soundbar playing all that beautiful music! I use a lot of Spotify so this aspect is particularly important to me and its great. Especially in all-stereo mode.

As for movies, it gets loud and really fills the room. And sounds very full (not thin). I like it better than the small blackstone setup. And the surrounds work great. Way better than I thought they would especially since they are so tiny.

I know it sounds like i'm hyping it up and there's no way its going to live up to it but that's why I'm encouraging you guys to hear it for yourselves. It really changes the game when it comes to soundbars. Every single friend who has heard the system in action has had their jaw drop."
Whats the good word!?

Anyone else get their shipping notification?
post #22 of 73 Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whats the good word!?

Anyone else get their shipping notification?
UPS delayed one day. It went from Roanoke to Jacksonville overnight, Wed to Thurs, due for delivery Friday 3PM.
post #23 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Now says in stock on Polk's website.
post #24 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now says in stock on Polk's website.
You might call Polk and ask about delivery time. Polk does charges tax, but no shipping. It would be about $40 more through them.

Also, although I'm not expecting to be disappointed, Crutchfield only charges $20, and they pay for shipping, if you're not 100% thrilled. Not so sure about Polk's return policy and pricing.

Polk: 800 377 7655
post #25 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You might call Polk and ask about delivery time. Polk does charges tax, but no shipping. It would be about $40 more through them.

Also, although I'm not expecting to be disappointed, Crutchfield only charges $20, and they pay for shipping, if you're not 100% thrilled. Not so sure about Polk's return policy and pricing.

Polk: 800 377 7655

Polk cant get it to me on time!

Any experience with https://www.crutchfield.com/p_305HWM...c&awug=9004116

Will also get the surround speakers.
post #26 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I listened to the Samsung 850 it was adequate, nothing outstanding... and expensive. UPS just arrived, going to unpack.
post #27 of 73 Old 12-22-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi there sss24 - this is sort of our personal thread. Merry Christmas!

The UPS delivery was just the store/stock box, no additional outer packaging, which I guess is good. Setup was quick as I had the Klipsch 14 there for the last month or two (loaned by friend.)

Sub and surround are well made, the surrounds are tiny, about the size of two packs of cigs. The sub is also very light compared to the Klipsch, but the bass really punches.

Polk recommends internet connection for potential updates to the software, which is more than likely considering its newness to the market. Wifi setup with Google Home is giving me some problem, it's seeing the device, but won't make the connection. Tomorrow, I'll just run an ethernet cable since the modem is in the same cabinet, just will take some fishing through.

Hope you get this model, it's very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2986.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2334260  
post #28 of 73 Old 12-23-2017, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a chance to listen to the Polk Magnify Max in the store the other day. It was okay. The bass was very poor and a deal breaker for me, in my opinion. Other than that, I really felt the sound envelope me up to about 10ft away.
post #29 of 73 Old 12-24-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
I had a chance to listen to the Polk Magnify Max in the store the other day. It was okay. The bass was very poor and a deal breaker for me, in my opinion. Other than that, I really felt the sound envelope me up to about 10ft away.
Personal preference is what it's all about. I'm finding subwoofer sound right on the money, with four adjustable ticks to either side of center default. I hung the surrounds yesterday (no easy task for all-concrete walls and ceiling.) As a quick example, ran the first couple of minutes of "Passenger," and the low-end kicked! A scene or two later, when he rides the elevator through the ship, the full effect was terrific. Went upstairs for a couple of minutes while the film continued, and I could fell the sub doing its thing. We're on a concrete slab with eight inches of poured concrete between the first and second floor.

I'm not sure store auditions are the best place to really get the feel of speakers, especially.

Happy here... only snag was getting Google Home to recognize the Polk. The modem is in the cabinet to the left of the bar, so it wasn't signal strength. Deleted the GH app, reloaded it and it found the device. Otherwise I would have snaked the ethernet through, glad I didn't have to do that.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year!
post #30 of 73 Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi there

I had been waiting for this sound bar to come out and because the release date kept getting put back I ended up with the JBL Bar 5.1. at the moment on a 30 returns policy. So I can still return it if the reviews are good about the Magnifi Max SR

Now the JBL Bar 5.1 sub woofer is unbelievable it shakes the room with amazing power and depth which I really like. However I need to keep charging the surrounds which I am finding slightly annoying, unlike the Magnifi Max SR which has powered surrounds.

My question is this:

Does the sub woofer have real depth and power? Can you feel it? Is it room shaking. This is the real deal breaker for me

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
magni-fi max , polk , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page