Official LG SJ8 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 98 Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnk View Post
Can anyone recommend any rear channel speakers to pair with the SJ8?
Yes please I wiuld be very interested im thus as well. Its just not quite loud enough for my living room. Rear speakers would make this thing legit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone post a picture of this mounted on a 65C7 please. Thinking of getting this one
post #33 of 98 Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SJ8 "Perfect Fit" T8 stand holes

I have a question for anyone who has the "Perfect Fit" T8 stand that attaches the SJ8 to an LG TV. What are the holes on the stand shown on the attached picture for? I'm wondering if they can be used to bolt the stand to the surface it rests on, for earthquake security.

I tried to ask LG support this question, but they denied that the T8 stand was an LG product.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T8.png
Views:	353
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	2264664  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 98 Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I purchased the SJ8 from an online retailer thinking it would be a great compliment and ideal soundbar for an LG B7 TV. I was planning to add the T8 stand referenced above as well, but a couple initial observations on the SJ8:

1) Is there really no possible way to turn off the "LG OPT" LED light on the front of the soundbar (I connected to TV via optical)? Does this not bother other people? I called LG and they said it would dim after a short period of time, and while it does dim slightly, it is still incredibly distracting even in a bright room. Other forums suggested the Sleep button or the LG musicflow app, but neither turns it off. I guess I could "fix" it with a nice piece of black tape, but it is so odd that LG would produce such a clean looking TV and soundbar, and then put a permanent LED light right in the middle that distracts from the picture.

2) When watching content from a Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) cable box, the sound is both quite muted and seems slightly out of synch. I have played with settings on the cable box (Stereo v. Mono and so forth), and have also tried tweaking the synch settings on the TV itself. I haven't been able to fix either issue though, I am not an audiophile by any means but dialogue on screen seems to draw you to the sound bar and away from the TV, if that makes sense. I am wondering if there is no dedicated center channel on the soundbar that might affect this, so when watching people speaking it does not seem entirely natural and coming out of the TV picture itself. But I also don't know how to up the volume though on cable content, and this is not an issue through the TV's apps (sounds great on that content).

Unfortunately I would have to pay return shipping to return it to the retailer so am hoping to resolve these issues, appreciate any thoughts!! Thank you.
post #35 of 98 Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm also baffled by your first point. Been testing this bar for a few weeks now and can't believe there is no way to turn off that display.

Overall the sound for music is incredibly good but for movies I find it a little too "thin", with not a lot of definition.

For the deal from Fry's ($199) I think it's a great value but not sure I'm going to keep it, need more HDMI ports and fuller sound overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 98 Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexByTheSea View Post
1) Is there really no possible way to turn off the "LG OPT" LED light on the front of the soundbar (I connected to TV via optical)? Does this not bother other people? I called LG and they said it would dim after a short period of time, and while it does dim slightly, it is still incredibly distracting even in a bright room. Other forums suggested the Sleep button or the LG musicflow app, but neither turns it off. I guess I could "fix" it with a nice piece of black tape, but it is so odd that LG would produce such a clean looking TV and soundbar, and then put a permanent LED light right in the middle that distracts from the picture.
I also have been trying, we can turn of the LED Dot bellow the text using the app, but no luck with the text I love the SJ8 so far, for me this is the biggest problem

I do have a question that I searched but no luck. LG Soundsync Optical Vs LG Soundsync bluetooth wireless. The sound quality is not that different, is there any difference in features when using wireless? Dolby related? Or it's the same?

Best regards,
RD
post #37 of 98 Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi, i have seen it supports 4K HDCP 2.2, but it doesnt seem to support HDR pass throught.

Can someone confirm me if it supposts at least HDR10?
post #38 of 98 Old 08-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I tried to solve the permanent LED light issue with simple black electrical tape, but even that does not work. The sensor must be in the same location because with I covered up the ever present "LG OPT" display, keeping the bottom of that area where that single LED dot (that does turn off as Ricardo notes) uncovered, the remote quickly stops working and won't adjust the sound at all.

I also tried operating the sound bar both alone via optical and then via HDMI over ARC, and there is also an option to operate both the sound bar and the internal speakers at the same time. I tried this and while some inputs it sounded good, almost like adding a center channel for dialogue, on other inputs (Netflix in particular) the two sound sources were way out of synch. I tried to adjust the sound bar using the MusicFlow app but no luck getting the two to synch. And operating just the sound bar and not the internal speakers is out of synch when using my Spectrum cable box, even after multiple attempts to try and adjust the synch through the LG TV settings.

It does sound like many people are happy with this sound bar and the fact that it mounts directly to the bottom of an LG TV was appealing, but with all these issues I am quite disappointed and will probably end up putting it on Craigslist unless anyone has any other potential solutions.

And if others have suggestions on a good alternative sound bar for an LG OLED, particular if I do not have space for rear speakers, would welcome your thoughts!
post #39 of 98 Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hashimoto View Post
I have a question for anyone who has the "Perfect Fit" T8 stand that attaches the SJ8 to an LG TV. What are the holes on the stand shown on the attached picture for? I'm wondering if they can be used to bolt the stand to the surface it rests on, for earthquake security.
I didn't get an answer so I bought one to see for myself. The one I purchased is slightly redesigned from the one in the picture...and in particular it does not have the holes I was curious about.

However, I think that I could have holes drilled to serve my purpose. It is made out of metal - my guess is steel - so I may try taking it to a machine shop.
post #40 of 98 Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
LG H3s are close to perfect for surrounds if you can find a pair cheap. Music Flow is a little buggy but does give you a true 4.1 setup with proper channel separation. Quite happy with my OLED C6/SJ8/H3 setup.
post #41 of 98 Old 09-01-2017, 10:41 AM

After the latest update to LG's Music Flow app the surrounds are no longer properly separated. I tried Optical, LG Optical, and ARC inputs on the SJ8 and surround channels come from both front and rear. Hopefully LG will fix this but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Atmos compatibility as well. First world problems, I know...

It helps to set the H3's Effect setting to Boost, which bumps up volume along with EQ. Surround channels still come from Front/Rear but shifts the balance more to the back surrounds.

Last edited by Stan Chase; 11-23-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added Info
post #42 of 98 Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyway to get the SJ8 to default to ARC? When we turn on our LG 65UJ6300 TV with the Directv remote, the SJ8 goes to HDMI IN. We have to change to ARC every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by mwhals; 09-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.
post #43 of 98 Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
Anyway to get the SJ8 to default to ARC? When we turn on our LG 65UJ6300 TV with the Directv remote, the SJ8 goes to HDMI IN. We have to change to ARC every time.

No, unfortunately this is a common problem with ARC/CEC. The only solution is to use an optical cable from the TV to the SJ*, turn off ARC and get an inexpensive universal remote to control the system.
post #44 of 98 Old 09-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
No, unfortunately this is a common problem with ARC/CEC. The only solution is to use an optical cable from the TV to the SJ*, turn off ARC and get an inexpensive universal remote to control the system.
Why not go TV out to SJ8 HDMI IN since it always starts there anyway? The TV is LG, so it can control the volume through its link setup.

post #45 of 98 Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
The SJ8 HDMI in is for devices and you can't connect a TV to it. In a traditional system all devices connect to the receiver or SB HDMI inputs and then from the receiver or SB HDMI output to an HDMI input of the TV. As TVs progressed and became 'smart' they needed to get sound from the TV to the receiver or SB and ARC was created in HDMI version 1.4 about 7 years after the original version. Before ARC you used have to use an optical cable to get sound from the TV to the SB or receiver. The problem with ARC is it was added under CEC and that's what gives you control of the volume but often has problems with other areas of control like input switching and powering on/off of devices. If you could just use the volume part of it and not turn on the other control areas it would be better.

So the ARC connection on your TV is not an HDMI output and can not go to an input of a receiver or SB. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel and like I stated it was added to get sound back from source within the TV or connected to the TV. It has its issues and limitations like it can't do the lossless surround formats and CEC has to be turned on to use it.
post #46 of 98 Old 10-06-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,I have a big issue with lg music flow app on my iOS 11 devise. It seem to produce battery drain in my device. Can you tell me how today fix this or to suggest on other app to download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #47 of 98 Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sj8 or hw-ms650? The ms650 seems to have a lot of glowing reviews, but since I'm pairing it with an lg b7 the sj8 might be better aestheticly and size wise. The tv and sound bar will be on a desk with limited space since it's serving as a pc monitor. Will be in a small bedroom. Sj8 barely has reviews. I'm assuming the ms650 has better quality sound, but don't know if it's just marginally or way more than the sj8 to justify the much increased footprint.
post #48 of 98 Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Guys im not sure i got it right.

is it possible to connect the SJ8 with a B6?

Do i need to get anything extra?

LG B6, LG SJ8, H7, H4s & GTX 1060
post #49 of 98 Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think the only ones designed to work as 5.1 were the Music Flow H series, but that was explicit for the SH sound bars, i dont see anything about the cinema mode any more on the SJ8. Does anyone know if this is still an option?

post #50 of 98 Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Lets start a discussion and if anyone has any questions for me just ask. Thanks.

Link: http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ8-sound-bar
2 questions:

Have you had any lip sync issues, its making me crazy and i havent been able to solve it.

Have you tried the cinema mode seting using music flow speakers? I conected 2 H4s, and they work but i have a scratchting sound on both the speakers all the time.

post #51 of 98 Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
I use the stand from the Best Buy link with my B6 (which it's not advertised to work with) and can't really see much, if any, gap between the bar and the tv. I can post a pic later when I get home but assuming the 2017 match is as good/better (and it really should be), it's a pretty seemless look (almost like what the E6 looks like from the front but without the gaudy silver)
I've been wanting to buy this stand, but was scared of the fit. Can you please post a pic of what it looked like? I have the SJ8 and a 55" B6
post #52 of 98 Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just ordered a 65" OLED, the SJ8 from Costco, and the stand adapter from Best Buy. Hopefully in a week or two when everything has arrived I'll be able to post a pic of this setup. I'm pretty excited. I ALMOST bought the OLED 65E7P because it had the soundbar built in, until I saw this setup. I am a fan of "OEM" look and I think this'll fit that nicely while exceeding vastly the E7P's sound quality.
post #53 of 98 Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexByTheSea View Post
I tried to solve the permanent LED light issue with simple black electrical tape, but even that does not work. The sensor must be in the same location because with I covered up the ever present "LG OPT" display, keeping the bottom of that area where that single LED dot (that does turn off as Ricardo notes) uncovered, the remote quickly stops working and won't adjust the sound at all.
Is there still no way to turn off the LED display? I'm considering getting this soundbar but I think not being able to turn off the display would be a deal breaker.
post #54 of 98 Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think it'd be possible to cover the display without blocking the IR sensor:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lg sj8.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2316346  
post #55 of 98 Old 11-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Hello,

Just got my LG SJ8 today to improve my LG UJ634V TV sound quality.

My setup includes connecting the SJ8 and TV via a HDMI 2.0 cable (ARC).

The TV sound output is "Auto", also tried Dolby Digital.

No blocks like Night Mode or Auto Volume are set.

All went fine and sound is great but when I decided to push further the volume it stucks at number 40% with "Vol MAX" message.

No blocks like Night Mode or Auto Volume are set.

Already executed a reset but still the same, any ideas???

Much appreciated any suuport.
post #56 of 98 Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio.pinto View Post
any ideas???

Much appreciated any suuport.
Have you logged in with the app and done the firmware update?
post #57 of 98 Old 12-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL712 View Post
I've just ordered a 65" OLED, the SJ8 from Costco, and the stand adapter from Best Buy. Hopefully in a week or two when everything has arrived I'll be able to post a pic of this setup. I'm pretty excited. I ALMOST bought the OLED 65E7P because it had the soundbar built in, until I saw this setup. I am a fan of "OEM" look and I think this'll fit that nicely while exceeding vastly the E7P's sound quality.
Can you post the picture of your setup. Im debating whether or not to get the T8 stand. I have the SJ8 and 65B7.
post #58 of 98 Old 12-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
We have our LG OLED 55B7P, on its stock stand, sitting on our "Dynasty Media Cabinet"

[URL=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QOGKUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

http://https://amazon.com/gp/product...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our LG SJ8 sits on the cabinet, immediately in front of the 55B7P, with its rear immediately in front of or (at our option) just slightly underneath the 55B7P. This is possible because the height of the 55B7P's stand and the height of the SJ8 on its included (but optional) 3/4" high plastic feet are a perfect height match, such that the top of the SJ8 is just a hair below the bottom of the 55B7P's screen's bezel. Additionally, the width of the SJ8 and the 55B7P are exactly the same. So, an absolutely perfect physical/visual match & fit, with no adapter or bracket needed (assuming you're not wall-mounting anything)... I assume this could not be said for any other soundbar (LG or otherwise) that has a taller form factor than the vertically thin SJ8.

And as for the sound, we've been very pleased with the SJ8 on that score as well.
post #59 of 98 Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Liked: 2
I recently bought a 65OLEDB7A and was struggling with soundbar options. I had long been expecting to get a Sonos Playbar and sub but some of the details of my living room (new house) made this difficult. As a result after searching I ran across the SJ8 (and Costco's SJC8, which is $50 less than online pricing for the SJ8 but I pay sales tax, which is... about $50) and the somewhat elusive T8 stand. It's a very low profile setup keeping in theme with the very slim SJ8 soundbar. That's good because the 65OLEDB7A picture comes down to within perhaps 2" of the stand bottom, leaving little space for a soundbar. Someone had asked about the gap between the soundbar and the TV... there is one, but it's very small. If you use the cable management guide down the back of the stand I think you would be in good shape and probably wouldn't see any of them. I have some pictures but don't think I am allowed by the forum to post them yet.

I did try to talk to LG support a few times about rear speakers. They were pretty useless. One person told me the SJ8 wasn't Music Flow enabled, another told me I could join additional speakers as a group but not in a specific rear surround mode, and another one explained the features of the SH7B soundbar. In looking at the Music Flow app after adding the soundbar though there is at least a function for adding surround speakers, so I think it would work. Not going to ask support again though, after three tries I admit defeat!

Some observations:
1. The sub doesn't show up in Music Flow, but it's definitely outputting sound and has a solid green LED which indicates it is paired with the soundbar.
2. Essentially no sound tuning options of any kind, beyond a couple of settings for bass cutoff and dialog enhancement.
3. I have three connection options and don't really have a clue which one is "best". Currently I'm hooked up via HDMI ARC, but optical with LG's Sound Sync and bluetooth are also options.
4. We had installed a low profile outlet gang to allow for a TV to be as close the wall as possibe. LG outsmarted me by using low profile plugs. Low profile plugs in a low profile gang doesn't really work.
5. Access to the back of the soundbar is very difficult and requires use of lots of choice language to be able to make connections. I ended up using my mobile phone to take a close quarters photo to guide my somewhat blind fumbling. The HDMI ARC port is the hardest to locate as it is inset from the back of the soundbar.
post #60 of 98 Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 AM

Liked: 2
[QUOTE=Thoogle;55315862]... I have some pictures but don't think I am allowed by the forum to post them yet...

Let's see if this works... a series of pictures of the small gap for the B7A, T8, and SJ8 combination, assembly, the original stand, and the tight quarters in the back of the soundbar due to its low profile. Definitely better sound than TV speakers, seems plenty loud to me but I am not an audiophile. The only odd behavior so far is clipping from the sub when scrolling though selections in the webOS... seems most noticeable on YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171213_185952.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	594.0 KB
ID:	2330608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171213_185943.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	2330610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171213_185611.jpg
Views:	418