Official LG SJ8 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 98 Old 12-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have the SJ8 soundbar connected to a LG C7 OLED TV via an optical TOSlink cable, because I don't have a free HDMI port (all four are being used). Is there any advantage to connecting this soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC? My understanding is that HDMI ARC allows for some high bandwidth formats to be transmitted, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X. However, I think that the the SJ8 soundbar doesn't support any of these formats so is there no benefit to using HDMI ARC? According to the LG specs, the soundbar supports Dolby Digital and DTS Surround, but not the other formats. https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ8-sound-bar

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 12-02-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my understanding the main advantage to ARC is that it follows the volume control of the other device - I use it so that I only need to change the volume on the TV and the soundbar follows it automatically.
post #93 of 98 Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, can anyone comment on how this performs with Music Cast speakers for rear surround?

Is the wireless connection reliable?
Do you need to connect to the rear speakers every time?
Can any music Cast speakers be used, or should I stick to H3/H5?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just to let those here know, there's a newly released firmware for our LG SJ8 Soundbar (released 4/15/19).

You can download it at:

https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-SJ8

Here's how it's rather awkwardly described by LG:

Firmware update for SJ8 (Version :1904080)
Software_update_Guide_SJ8_190410.pptx 1542K 04/15/2019
MICOM_SJ8_1904080_FEA5_rev1850.zip 117K 04/15/2019
Reference
Firmware update for SJ8
1. Improvement : It’s cuts off first syllable (part) of the word, when there is totally silent pause between the words

2. Firmware Version : 1904080

3. Upgrade instruction is refer to the "Software update Guide_SJ8_190410" file

NOTE / TIP: The installation instruction methods in the downloadable Software Update Guide SJ8" seem pretty wonky - and unnecessarily so. If you have LG's "MusicFlowPlayer" app installed on your smartphone and if you are are on your wi-fi network, go to the app's "connected speaker" screen for your SJ8, or to the app's settings/version info. screen. Once there, the app should advise you there's a firmware update available for the SJ8 and will walk you through the easy process of installing it online through the network connection so you don't have to follow either of the two the more convoluted methods in the downloadable "Software Update Guide SJ8".
post #95 of 98 Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Just joined the forum in hopes someone can help solve my issue with my SJ8. I have it connected to the LG OLED 55B7A and mounted with the T8 bracket. Everything worked perfectly for the last 18 months since I bought this setup until a couple days ago.

I have had it connected through both HDMI/ARC and the optical cable. I always would use “LG Sound Sync (Optical) as my Sound Out choice to be able to control volume and power on by just the LG TV remote. The other day when I turned the TV on using the LG TV remote the SJ8 did not power on (stayed off with red light) I checked all the cables and reinserted them. I also replaced the HDMI cord with the one that works with my Xbox. SJ8 Still would not turn on when TV was turned on.

Tapping Power on the top right of SJ8 does nothing.
Pressing Power on the small remote that came with the SJ8 does nothing. (There is a chance the batteries are dead, I need to go buy AAAs to check this).

However unplugging the SJ8 from its power brick for 30 seconds and plugged back in does turn on the SJ8. It reads optical in white lettering. However I get no TV sound still. Interestingly enough the SJ8 will play the TV sound when I connect using Bluetooth. (SJ8 displays “Paired” briefly and then says LG TV in dim white letters) This is my temporary “fix” while I continue to troubleshoot. Anyone have any thoughts? When I turn off the TV using the LG TV remote the SJ8 goes into what I think is standby mode (it’s displaying a single dimmed white light).

The fact none of the buttons on the top right of the SJ8 work even when connected via Bluetooth and sound is playing is worrisome.

I noticed that the optical cord has a red light shining when I look at the end that should be plugged into the SJ8 but when I have it plugged into the SJ8 and look at the other end there is no red light. I read somewhere both sides should be showing a red light. Is this true?
post #96 of 98 Old 06-16-2019, 09:39 AM

Replying to myself above as I did some more reading and research and mistakenly didn’t realize the physical buttons for the SJ8 were on the back of the unit and not touch sensitive on the top. I confirmed the unit does turn on with the physical buttons and will cycle through inputs using F. I have reset the SJ8 by holding down the appropriate button (Two squares with a + in one of them on far right) until “RESET” appeared. Still no sound from LG TV through HDMI ARC or Optical cable.

Next test was “is it my LG TVs output that’s an issue?” So I connected the SJ8 to my laptop using the HDMI cable and the sound from my laptop played through the SJ8. Now this got me nervous because the LG TV is a lot more expensive to replace than the SJ8 (and at the very least I didn’t want to have to reset the TV just yet)....So I wanted to do another test to confirm it was the LG TV. I hooked up my other TV (Sony) with both the HDMI ARC, and also using the optical cable the same way as the LG TV had been working for 18 months and...no sound. What gives? Any ideas? I Will continue researching/testing
post #97 of 98 Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM

When SJ8 is Connected to the Sony TV the SJ8 will turn off and on with the TV and the volume level display will go up/down (no sound, just the readout on the SJ8).

Then when SJ8 is connected to LG TV and Optical/HDMI ARC is selected, I can’t adjust the volume with my LG Remote (I get the grey circle with diagonal line through it (not sure if this symbol shows up in this forum it does on my iPhone keyboard &#x1f6ab but on my universal remote from the cable company the volume display moves on the SJ8 but not on LG TV. Still no sound. With Sound Sync Selected the volume display on TV and SJ8 will move using both remotes, although the volume level displayed is not syncing. TV will say 20 while SJ8 says 15 for example.
post #98 of 98 Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Sorry for multiple posts. Just adding info as I discover it to hopefully help someone else in the future. The SJ8 will not turn on/off with the LG TV when Optical/HDMI ARC is selected on both devices. SJ8 will however turn off/standby with the TV (“GOOD-BYE” and dim white LED) once I connect it via Bluetooth (LG TV is displayed on SJ8) and turn the TV off. However when you turn the TV back on, the SJ8 turns back on but it defaults to “Optical” on the SJ8 display and sound comes out through The LG TV.

The sound from my laptop connected through HDMI only works on the “HDMI IN” selection of the SJ8. When connected to the TV with HDMI IN selected on the SJ8 there is no sound from SJ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lgsoundbar , sj8 , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page