Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Official LG SJ8 Thread

I purchased this sound bar this weekend and have it paired with my LG C6 OLED. I didn't find a thread on it, so I figured Id start one.

I must say this sound bar sounds amazing and presents itself very well being only 1.5" tall.

Lets start a discussion and if anyone has any questions for me just ask. Thanks.

Link: http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ8-sound-bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LGSJ8 unboxing.jpg
Views:	1955
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2150586  

LG C6 / LG SJ8 / Oppo 203 / Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 05-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought one today from a slick deals link at a big discount, looking forward to how it sounds.
post #3 of 98 Old 05-27-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_ecc View Post
Just bought one today from a slick deals link at a big discount, looking forward to how it sounds.
I saw the same deal. i've been wanting to buy a new soundbar to go w/ my LG TV for MONTHS but am scared to pulled the trigger. I have 2 soundbars in my house for my other TVs and the Samsung underperforms compared to my Vizio.

I saw Slickdeals posted the SH7 a few days ago and I almost bought that one... There's also a Klipsch soundbar for $299. An RB-something model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 6
got mine yesterday and it's not working nicely with my TCL Roku tv. had an sh7b which worked just fine, but with the sj8 I have to change the tv output to stereo for streaming apps in order to get any sound. when set to auto detect DD/DD+/DTS it's nothing but silence. it works fine for antenna input. I really like it and eventually plan to upgrade that tv to the new TCL p-series, but I'm concerned I'll be stuck with stereo which is noticably worse. any ideas?
post #5 of 98 Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

That's really odd. Out of curiosity what other audio out settings are on your TCL and what type of connection setup are you using?
post #6 of 98 Old 06-01-2017, 08:00 AM

it's either auto detect or stereo, and the setting only applies to streaming apps. there's no setting for ota, and ota is working fine with "Dolby sound." hooked up via arc.

I don't have much time to troubleshoot until next week, but I'll have to hook it up to my b6 and see how it behaves.

Last edited by kellybrf; 06-01-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #7 of 98 Old 06-02-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf View Post
it's either auto detect or stereo, and the setting only applies to streaming apps. there's no setting for ota, and ota is working fine with "Dolby sound." hooked up via arc.

I don't have much time to troubleshoot until next week, but I'll have to hook it up to my b6 and see how it behaves.
I would definitely check out if it works with the B6. My guess is it's the TCL. I ran HDMI (ARC) no problems getting both DD and DTS from my C6. One thing I noticed that I don't like is that when running LG sound sync optical you only get PCM. The only way to get DD or DTS is with HDMI or Optical only. Then you lose control with the TV remote. My wife likes to use the TV remote instead of having to grab a separate soundbar remote for volume.

LG C6 / LG SJ8 / Oppo 203 / Sony PS4
post #8 of 98 Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
what about the sound quality and music flow, google cast functionalities? I have an SH8 with some H7s and H4s and was wondering how much of an upgrade the SJ8 is.

LG B6, LG SJ8, H7, H4s & GTX 1060
post #9 of 98 Old 06-05-2017, 12:32 PM

hooked it up to my b6 and all was well, also hooked it up to a second TCL I have and the same issue happened so it's something in the link between the two. it's frustrating, because the sh7b works perfectly so I'm guessing it's a s/w issue with the sj8. I really want to keep it for the 4k passthrough, but given that the current TCL will likely get replaced by the new TCL p-series in a few months I don't want to take the chance that it won't work with it. at least the sh7b sounds really good 😀
post #10 of 98 Old 06-10-2017, 12:56 PM

something is definitely wrong with the sw on this bar. I picked up the 55" leeco Walmart has on clearance and with the sj8 I get sound on streaming apps, but not live TV when the sound output is set to auto. if I force PCM sound works on both outputs. no issues with the sh7b and tv set to auto. I really want to love this bar and to have high res audio support and 4k passthrough, but it just doesn't work right.
post #11 of 98 Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by posadajulian View Post
what about the sound quality and music flow, google cast functionalities? I have an SH8 with some H7s and H4s and was wondering how much of an upgrade the SJ8 is.
Just got this from the SlickDeals $230 price. And already have it set up to work with google home, works flawlessly so far. Sub woofer has plenty of bass, find that I need to turn it down for the most part. Its not "surround sound" but its damn good for what it is. If you are in the market for a soundbar, and can get it at the SlickDeals price, this is a definite go imo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
posadajulian likes this.
post #12 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How does this compare to the SH7? This is about $50 more over the SH7 and wondering if it's worth returning and going for this instead. I'm concerned with voice/dialogue clarity.
post #13 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
How does this compare to the SH7? This is about $50 more over the SH7 and wondering if it's worth returning and going for this instead. I'm concerned with voice/dialogue clarity.
when working properly they both sounded very good to me. I'm returning the sj8 due to the issues I've had
post #14 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
when working properly they both sounded very good to me. I'm returning the sj8 due to the issues I've had
What issues have you had?

post #15 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I may end up just keep the SH7B then. I just figured maybe $50 was worth the upgrade to the SJ8, but maybe it's not judging from reviews and what you've said. Is the sound quality pretty similar between the two?

The other option is going with the SJ9, but that's a $300 increase so I'm pretty wary of that route.
post #16 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 AM

I have had no issue so far, I have it hooked up with the included fiber optic cable. Is there a disadvantage to use the optical vs HDMI?

post #17 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLampsM0M View Post
I have had no issue so far, I have it hooked up with the included fiber optic cable. Is there a disadvantage to use the optical vs HDMI?

No. They provide the same signal. Using ARC, you can control the soundbar with the TV remote, where optical does not have that capability.
post #18 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
No. They provide the same signal. Using ARC, you can control the soundbar with the TV remote, where optical does not have that capability.
I can control soundbar with my TV remote using optical. I have an LG B6.

post #19 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What issues have you had?

read the thread

Quote:
Hmm, I may end up just keep the SH7B then. I just figured maybe $50 was worth the upgrade to the SJ8, but maybe it's not judging from reviews and what you've said. Is the sound quality pretty similar between the two?

The other option is going with the SJ9, but that's a $300 increase so I'm pretty wary of that route.
I can't say I hear a difference, but I'm not an audiophile. the sh7b is 360w to the sj8 at 300, though both get plenty loud for me. keep in mind the sj8 is much longer than the sh7b.

Quote:

that's likely just an LG thing. my sj8 also works just fine with my b6, but it's for my bedroom where I'm not planning to get another OLED. so far it hasn't worked properly with two different manufacturers, and it's worked wrong differently with each.
post #20 of 98 Old 06-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's because you're using LG Simplink since you have an LG TV and LG soundbar. If you had a Sony soundbar running through optical, you wouldn't be able to control it with your TV remote.
post #21 of 98 Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Liked: 0
Is anyone else having an issue with audio-clipping and static/hissing at low volumes (under 10)? I've been through two of these units and both have had the same issue. Maybe audio-clipping isn't the right word, but sounds such as the keytone while navigating the menus on my PS4 and Nvidia Shield don't even register with this sound bar at low volume levels. Movie dialogue and music are barely audible under volume level 7 or 8.

I sent my first unit to be repaired by LG, and they sent me a brand new since the part they needed was back-ordered. Not sure if I want to ship it back again since the whole process took about a month the first time. Any ideas?
post #22 of 98 Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There doesn't seem to be much information about this soundbar out there. I currently have the Samsung HW-K650 hooked up to my SONY 75x940d and bought this soundbar on a whim when I saw the slickdeals post. My dilemma now is whether to keep the Samsung HW-K650 or hook up the LG SJ8 and sell the Samsung.

Anyone have any idea which is better and in what regard? I could probably sell the SJ8 brand new in box for about $100 more than I can for my lightly used HW-K650.

One difference I noticed with the SJ8 is that it has 4K/60p passthrough and HDCP 2.2. I am a total newbie in this area. Is this something that I can even take advantage of with my x940d?
post #23 of 98 Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have a Oled55c7p tv and the SJ8 soundbar. Since the TV stand is opaque, I hide some of the cables behind the stand, so when I'm sitting on the couch and watching my TV, I can't see the cables that run from the tv to the blu ray player that is on a shelf below the tv. I'm thinking of buying the matching tv stand for this soundbar for a cleaner look. Just wondering if anyone has the stand. If I use it, will the cables that run behind my television remain hidden, or is there a gap between the sound bar on TV which makes the cables visible? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-sound...?skuId=5846401
post #24 of 98 Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone auditioned the SJ8 versus the SJ9 at home? I listened to both at BB - actually preferred the sound from the SJ8. Since I don't live in a hangar it's likely a useless comparison - curious if the price difference is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 98 Old 07-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I purchased the SJ8 to go with an LG Oled65c6p I bought for a great price new. I liked the sound of it and the SJ9, but I was afraid our cats,would scratch on the cloth subwoofer cover of the SJ9. The SJ8 has a solid wire subwoofer cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #26 of 98 Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekjewel View Post
I have a Oled55c7p tv and the SJ8 soundbar. Since the TV stand is opaque, I hide some of the cables behind the stand, so when I'm sitting on the couch and watching my TV, I can't see the cables that run from the tv to the blu ray player that is on a shelf below the tv. I'm thinking of buying the matching tv stand for this soundbar for a cleaner look. Just wondering if anyone has the stand. If I use it, will the cables that run behind my television remain hidden, or is there a gap between the sound bar on TV which makes the cables visible? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-sound...?skuId=5846401
I use the stand from the Best Buy link with my B6 (which it's not advertised to work with) and can't really see much, if any, gap between the bar and the tv. I can post a pic later when I get home but assuming the 2017 match is as good/better (and it really should be), it's a pretty seemless look (almost like what the E6 looks like from the front but without the gaudy silver)
Roy Hashimoto likes this.
post #27 of 98 Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone having problems with the sound lagging on this soundbar? Everytime I switch channels, the sound will cut out for about 3-5 seconds. If I ffw a movie, the longer I ffw, the longer the sound will cut out. I have it hooked up to a 55KS8000 via HDMI ARC.
post #28 of 98 Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 AM

I want to get the LG SJ8 as a gift for my brothers new LG OLED55C7P. Anyone know where the best price online is for the SJ8 ?
post #29 of 98 Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Nguyen View Post
I want to get the LG SJ8 as a gift for my brothers new LG OLED55C7P. Anyone know where the best price online is for the SJ8 ?

Check out Fry's with email promo codes or go to a deal site (e.g. slick deals). Usually there are fairly regular sales that give good % off (have seen 50-60%) MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #30 of 98 Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend any rear channel speakers to pair with the SJ8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lgsoundbar , sj8 , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page