Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 Soundbar Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf View Post
I use this solely as a Chromecast speaker for music. its therefore obviously connected to WiFi and i can adjust the volume with the Google home app, but my Harmony doesn't recognize it as a WiFi device and it's nowhere near my hub. is there any way to get my Harmony to control the volume?
yes.

go to MyHarmony
Devices Tab

Add Device...

Manually input:
Manufacturer: Polk
Model Number: Magnifi Mini

Profit!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 09-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRusselo View Post
yes.

go to MyHarmony
Devices Tab

Add Device...

Manually input:
Manufacturer: Polk
Model Number: Magnifi Mini

Profit!~
thanks, and sorry for the late reply. that seems to be trying to control it via ir, not wifi. it's not near the hub so ir isn't going to work
post #33 of 36 Old 12-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK - I keep reading about the Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 and it seems like nothing but great reviews. I have an open mind, and am open to this new "small is better" concept.

I just purchased a 2nd hand SONY KDL-55W900A, and am using it strictly as a living room TV (I have a projection room for serious viewing).

According to this link provided by Ellebob, my SONY TV passes through Dolby 5.1, and thus for causal viewing the POLK MagniFi Mini 2.1 should be a perfect match to my TV.

LINK: https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tes...o-a-sound-bar/

To add, from what I'm reading in this highly technical thread,the TOSLINK Optical Cable works better and is more stable than HDMI or???

Please advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM

UPDATE:

My end game is to obtain a simple living room set-up for my SONY KDL-55W900A.

Bottom Line: I just wanted something to add some "pop" to mainstream movies that aren't worthy of my projection room, as well as watching Turner Classic Movies as I fall asleep on my leather couch next to the pellet stove

Based on all the rave end user reviews, and the multitudes audio/video websites that proclaimed it was a entry level game changer, I finally pulled the trigger on a factory refurbished POLK MagniFi Mini with a 1 Year Factory Warranty from Accessories4Less (an Authorized POLK Distributor)for $149. I really like that it comes with everything in one box: a real remote, HDMI & TOSLINK cables, and batteries for the remote.

Add to it $9 FedExGround Shipping and my Grand Total to my doorstep was $158. Simple and done! It's small form factor won't require that I re-arrange the living room, with wires running all over the floor and walls, I should be safe with the wife factor

Now I can move on with my life - I'll post my results when I get it and it's all hooked up!

Thanks, regards, and Merry Christmas
fast_dave
post #35 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Two Month Update

I've been using the Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 Soundbar for about two months now, and am very satisfied with my purchase!

To start, my soundbar was purchased for living room viewing. We have a projection room, but 80% of our viewing is in the Living Room. My biggest concern with this purchase was my wife. To clarify, I needed something that could be easily integrated while at the same time not seen. The wireless connection between the soundbar and bass module was a big plus towards meeting this requirement. Overall - for size and ease of placement without living room disruption, the Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 Soundbar completely met my requirements.

Our TV is a SONY KDL-55W900A. I utilize the built in swivel stand, and it sits on top of a IKEA wood video cabinet that holds DVD's, Playstation, CD's. The Center Horizontal Section has three horizontal shelves approx 19 inches wide. The first level (essentially ear level) now holds the Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 Soundbar, and the 2nd Level (middle shelf) holds a Upscaling DVD Player, and the bottom level has the Playstation. Perfect integration! My wife is happy. Other bars, due to their height and thus interfering with the remote pick-up on the TV, required that I would have to mount the soundbar above the TV, and that would have defiantly "not passed inspection"

As with most other reviews, professional and consumer/end-user, I have to remark about just how loud and clear this soundbar is for it's size. It's hooked up via HDMI/ARC. The center channel voice control works like a charm, so much so that sometimes I have to turn it down a notch or two! Finally - movie dialog is crisp, clear, understandable!!!

The bass module packs a punch, and more than meets my expectations. Our viewing sofa is in the center of the room, and the bass module has been placed behind it, in a corner. Our living room is hardwood floors with area carpets. The bass module is sitting on hardwood floor, and reflects perfectly. It puts out more than enough punch to satisfy our needs while watching any action movie.

While watching streaming or dvd material, 80% of the time the system is perfectly integrated and meets all my listening expectations. The 20% that it doesn't is made acceptable by fine tuning the settings on the supplied remote. In short, some viewing material, depending on how it was recorded at the studio or being streamed, is really soft and you have to turn the volume up to an onscreen rating of "90" to hear it. Other material is recorded/streamed so loud you have to turn down the onscreen volume rating to "60".

Most of the time (the 80 percentile) I find that the onscreen rating for the volume is between "66 - 76". The bass setting is left in the middle (there are 7 settings for bass, 3 to lower it, 1 to leave it as recorded, and 3 to increase it). The vocal/center channel also has 7 settings, and most of the time it is set at 2-3 steps above the center setting. We watch everything on the "music" equalizer setting.

The only problem I've encountered in the past two months was one time the wireless handshake setting between the sound bar and bass module disconnected. The result was the bass module wasn't putting out sound. A quick review of the user manual, the sequential pressing of a few buttons, and 5 minutes later everything was a-ok.

In closing - am I happy with my purchase? Yes.

Would I buy it again for another room (if needed)? Yes.

Would I recommend it to family, friends, fellow AVS Forum Members? Yes.

What changes would I ask of POLK? Please add more "finer" steps to the volume control of the sound bar. Sometimes I find that I have to settle on "just" too soft or "just" too loud. When that situation (infrequently) arises I usually choose the latter...

Hope that helps anyone sitting on the fence!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Last edited by fast_dave; 01-24-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #36 of 36 Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I just brought one of these home on a BF deal from Best Buy and I'm really enjoying the near-field listening experience. At 2 feet there's still spaciousness to the sound, at 18 inches there's no width to the sound field beyond the speaker.

For folks looking for something extra compact for use with a computer this does a great job.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
After listening to this for about a month I'm still very much enjoying my Polk MagniFi Mini, although I have noticed a somewhat "processed" sound on high frequency instruments (cymbals, bells). This seems to really show itself on small ensemble instrumental jazz, and some on small rock and Fusion groups (ie. Rush---- Gambale, Hamm, Smith), I only occasionally find it annoying since this is a casual listening setup.

I have the sub behind my monitor (just visible in the right of the picture in my last post) and think it's getting some considerable wall proximity boost. The bass adjustment seems to tame this quit well with 2 bumps down while using the "music" preset.

I have a Riva Turbo X on order for the bedroom/garage/job site, I don't expect it to have the bass that this Polk has, but it will be interesting to hear how the mids and highs compare. I'm looking at getting a long range Bluetooth Transmitter to tie this all together.

I'm driving the Polk analogue from my computer, JRiver MC 23, ASIO direct to Steinberg UR28M.

Cheers,
I purchased a new printer with a smaller footprint and have more space, so after a year I sold the Polk and purchased the iLoud Micro Monitors https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/.
The iLoud does not play as loud but is more spacious sounding and has surprisingly good bass (comparable to the Polk but not as loud) for it's small size. I'm not disappointed I had the Polk and think it did a great job for my situation at the time. I do consider the IK Media iLoud Micro Monitors an upgrade, it has none of the "processed" sound that the Polk did, I really don't need something at my desk that plays as loud as the Polk did. Depending on your space constraints and application I can give both the Polk MagniFi Mini 2.1 and the IK Media iLoud Micro Monitor a positive recommendation.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 01-27-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
chromecast , magnifi mini , polk , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page