Yamaha YAS-207 Soundar with DTS Virtual:X Hands-On - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #91 of 113 Old 12-05-2017, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dts

Hi, thanks for review and all the comments, i'm getting close to buy this bar but have a question.
Is using DTS Virtual:X possible via hdmi-arc or optical connection? Or only direct hdmi input.
I'm curious because this bar has only one hdmi in and i have 3 sound sources including ps4 which will have benefit from this a little.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 12-06-2017, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Virtual X is a simulated format and not an encoded format so it will work via ARC or optical and the source can be anything from stereo or better and it will try to place sounds where they think they would be.
roy.t likes this.
post #93 of 113 Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanks for reply, and that suits me.

However after lots of reading including your posts in other threads i'll go with 107 + external sub if i'll find some small 8'' one that fits into my room

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 113 Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After reading these thread and also other one about 207 , and knowing about SUB problem , I finally decided to take the risk and buy it (couldn't find anything else in price range here in the UK( £300-£350).
Bought this one for £300 but it's kinda not worth it. I am so underwhelmed ,man , this is YAMAHA ! why on earth dialogue coming out of sub ?

I was torn between this one and JBL 450 , but JBL is £200 more expensive here (it is £500) but know it's gone on sale for £350. shall I go a head and return this and buy JBL? any other soundbar around this price you guys suggest ?

Unfortunately We don't have all the brand here in the UK ,specially KLIPSCH , I heard so many good things about them , but not available here

I appreciate some hep to chose a decent sounder or I might just stick and deal with it's downside .

Cheers
post #95 of 113 Old 12-08-2017, 01:45 AM

Sad to hear that @Roxhm7 - i was going to buy it too, but now i'm in serious doubt.

I have another question:
Can someone directly compare yas-207 and yas-306 models?

I went to my local store yesterday to look at them personally, but they didn't have them connected, only ysp-2500 and i dont' want to hear that
The thing is that the seller offered me yas-306 for price lower than 207 one, can i call it a deal?

I'm still closed to the 107 + external sub however, but 306 have also that output so it gets little bit tougher to choose now
post #96 of 113 Old 12-08-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 306 is a European model but from what i can tell it is the same as the Yamaha YAS-105 which is couple generation older version of the 107 without HDMI.
post #97 of 113 Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 AM

Yeah it's similar, but noticably bigger than 10x but probably drivers are similar if not same. Or the sound could be worse than on 107 ?

Most notable difference is musiccast which is nice improvement over simple bluetooth. Missing hdmi is painfull somewhat but i can use optical in exchange.
So since both has external sub input I have a choice between musiccast for extra ~100$, poorer virtual surround in exchange for hdmi and Virtual:X
post #98 of 113 Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the ATS-1070 which is supposedly the same as the ATS-107 but notice the DTS Virtual:X makes it hard to hear any dialogue in movies and if I turn it up loud enough so I can hear dialogue everything else is too loud (well not really, but my neighbor would think so). A sports channel sounded fine, though. So I switched back to regular surround.
post #99 of 113 Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any of these simulated modes trade off sound quality to get some surround effects. That is common with sound bars because the reality is you can't get as good of surround effect with audio trickery and speakers placed in the bar a few feet apart as having actual surround speakers.

I would look at a sound bar as a big improvement over the TVs sound and many choose to put the sound bar in stereo to get better sound quality instead of the surround effect. If you want better surround effect from a sound bar the Yamaha YSP series do it best with their beam technology, still doesn't match surround speakers though. And the YSP series is more expensive.
venus933 likes this.
post #100 of 113 Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Any of these simulated modes trade off sound quality to get some surround effects. That is common with sound bars because the reality is you can't get as good of surround effect with audio trickery and speakers placed in the bar a few feet apart as having actual surround speakers.

I would look at a sound bar as a big improvement over the TVs sound and many choose to put the sound bar in stereo to get better sound quality instead of the surround effect. If you want better surround effect from a sound bar the Yamaha YSP series do it best with their beam technology, still doesn't match surround speakers though. And the YSP series is more expensive.
...and the surround effect you do get is dependent on the room which I suspect is not ideal for most layouts. I mean if you have a room designed around a home theater system you're not likely to use a sound bar in the first place. My preference would have been to put more emphasis on a better sub and less on virtual sound effects for the YAS-207. But Yamaha figured, probably correctly, that DTS Virtual:X is a better marketing approach.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #101 of 113 Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 PM

Liked: 1
Picked one up for my bedroom on Black Friday, loving it.
post #102 of 113 Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Everybody wants it all Unfortunately, that is not possible is a sound bar with small speakers a few feet apart and when it comes to sales the marketing department knows best
Roxhm7 likes this.
post #103 of 113 Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 AM

I returned mine also. don't want to hijack OP's tread but has to be said ,this SB is faulty new out of the box if you intend to listen dialogue in low volume (say at night when children or neighbours sleeping ). and the DTS Virtual:X is not even a thing ! (software updated ) , when you put it on VX you can't even hear the dialogue . in my experience if you keep watching Apocalypto (movie with almost no dialogue ) DTS VX is good , but for other %99.999 it is let's say AWFUL .
post #104 of 113 Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
YAS-207 and LG C7

Setup is an LG C7, Dish Sat box, Sony Blu-Ray, and Apple TV. I have all three plugged into the C7. HDMI2(ARC) on C7 going to HDMI input on AS-207 and Optical from the C7 going to the 207 as well. Sound is fine using the optical route but I get nothing when switching the 207 input to HDMI. CEC on or off on the C7 makes no difference. I'm using high speed Belkin HDMI cables for everything. Any ideas?

Thanks,
post #105 of 113 Old 12-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb12 View Post
Setup is an LG C7, Dish Sat box, Sony Blu-Ray, and Apple TV. I have all three plugged into the C7. HDMI2(ARC) on C7 going to HDMI input on AS-207 and Optical from the C7 going to the 207 as well. Sound is fine using the optical route but I get nothing when switching the 207 input to HDMI. CEC on or off on the C7 makes no difference. I'm using high speed Belkin HDMI cables for everything. Any ideas?

Thanks,
The HDMI 2 ARC input is the default input. Hitting the HDMI button enables the sound from the non ARC HDMI inputs. In addition I believe you need to use the optical out from the TV to the soundbar to get audio from the TV's built in Apps if you have disabled the TV's internal speakers. At least that's where I am after a few days of playing with this. I'm hooked from DIrecTV 4k Genie to YAS-207 to LG 60SJ8500 ARC HDMI2. I have the DTV HR54 receiver on HDMI 1 and my PS-3 on another HDMI input (haven't tried that one yet). I have optical out of the TV to the soundbar as well.
post #106 of 113 Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 AM

Just picked up one of these, as an upgrade from an older Yamaha soundbar (which had neither a subwoofer nor HDMI). Overall I'm pretty happy with it, as others have noted the Virtual:X feature is so-so... I'm leaving it turned off (I also have Clear Voice and Bass Extension turned off, although only because I haven't experimented with Clear Voice yet).

I'm using the 'normal' HDMI input, not ARC from the TV, as my input switching is all handled upstream of the soundbar/TV combo. This has made a big difference in my setup, as my LG TV was unable to passthrough any 'fancy' encoded video formats to its optical port. I was also unable to ever get video/audio sync 'perfect' with the old configuration, but out of the box it's pretty good with this one.

We're experiencing one issue though: during playback of some content from a TiVo Bolt VOX (recorded from various cable channels), the sound 'flickers' between stereo and surround (and the green Dolby light flickers as well). It's as if the soundbar thinks the audio stream is switching between surround and stereo content. I've seen this happen with content from Animal Planet, TLC, and this morning from Showtime. I've not seen this happen with content from our Roku, so this could be a TiVo issue of some kind, but nearly all the Roku-sourced content has had DTS-HD MA audio, so that would use a totally different decoder in the soundbar. I've just added some more DD-encoded content to our Plex, so I'll try playing some of that to see what happens.
post #107 of 113 Old 01-27-2018, 12:24 PM

Well, this turned out to be totally unrelated to the soundbar. My HDMI-over-IP distribution system was slightly misconfigured, and the receiver feeding HDMI into the soundbar (and then to the TV) was dropping packets, disturbing the audio streams.
post #108 of 113 Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yamaha YAS 207 vs Sony HT CT 790/800

Hello guys,

I spent the past couple days searching on the web for the best midrange soundbar. Now im stuck between the YAS 207 and the Sony Ht CT 790/800.

The YAS 207 promises "only" 200W of power, but the 790/800 offers 320/350W of power. On the web i find that the YAS 207 is the best soundbar in its price range.

My question is, how do these models perform once against each other? I care more about sound quality, then wifi apps usage, etc as i will connect only a PS4 and streaming per netflix, youtube, etc from my TV.

If you have any experience with the HT CT models and want to give me some more info, i would be glad

Have a nice day!
post #109 of 113 Old 11-26-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi to everyone !

I have an issue with my Samsung HW-M550. The thing is I've updated my projection and source system and now I have an Optoma UHD51 and a Nvidia Shield TV. I want to project in 4K HDR and now I can't do that because the soundbar can't passthrough 4K.

I've been reading from different places looking for a new low-budget soundbar and I've found the Yamaha YAS-207. The thing is that in some places I've read this soundbar can passthrough 4K HDR and another ones people say that HDR is not possible, only 4K. Do someone has the same soundbar and HDR source and can confirm it works ?

The right connecion by HDMI should be Nvidia Shield-->HDMI In in YAS-207 / Optoma UHD51 --> IDM Out in YAS-207 ?

Many thanks
post #110 of 113 Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quim Quim View Post
Hi to everyone !

I have an issue with my Samsung HW-M550. The thing is I've updated my projection and source system and now I have an Optoma UHD51 and a Nvidia Shield TV. I want to project in 4K HDR and now I can't do that because the soundbar can't passthrough 4K.

I've been reading from different places looking for a new low-budget soundbar and I've found the Yamaha YAS-207. The thing is that in some places I've read this soundbar can passthrough 4K HDR and another ones people say that HDR is not possible, only 4K. Do someone has the same soundbar and HDR source and can confirm it works ?

The right connecion by HDMI should be Nvidia Shield-->HDMI In in YAS-207 / Optoma UHD51 --> IDM Out in YAS-207 ?

Many thanks
usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/968581/web_AV16-0010_YAS-207_om_UAB_En_B0.pdf

Yes, it supports HDR and 4K without problems, and 6 channels PCM from Nivida Shield.

Someone knows if it's possible to enable E-AC3 on Kodi to this soundbar?
post #111 of 113 Old 01-24-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Soundbar Is Not Being Controlled By TV

I bought the YAS-207 and hooked it up to my Panasonic Plasma set. I like the improvement in sound quality. It's a dramatic improvement in terms of bass and overall sound stage, etc.

I am really disappointed though that my tv will not turn the YAS-207 on and off, or control it's volume. I'm afraid this may be a deal breaker for me, as I don't want to have to turn it on and off every time I use my tv.

Question: is it possible I have wired it incorrectly? I have a super simple setup in this room. All I have is my cable box, TV, and soundbar. My HDMI connections are as follows:
- Cable Box to Sound Bar In
- Sound Bar ARC Out to TV ARC

Is it likely that I have an incompatibility issue between my particular TV (Panasonic TC-P65S2) and the Yamaha YAS-207???

Bummer

I hope someone might have some insight, or a solution!

Thanks

bikerneil

Music Room: McIntosh 6700 Receiver / Amp, Martin Logan Source Montis Speakers, Sony Z1ES Music Server, Martin Logan ESL Center Channel, Inwall Rears, Yamaha RX-V667 Surround Processor, Project Debut Carbon DC Turntable, Analysis Plus Oval 9 Speaker Cables. TV Room: Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha RX-A660 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 3.0 Fronts, Polk PSW1000 Sub, Bose Cube Rear & Presence, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Player.
post #112 of 113 Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently got this bar and having an issue with volume. Want to know if it is normal.

In media coming from the tv im experiencing low volume until about 30-40 (on tv scale of 100), and only from there the sound starts to really show some power. The connection is by ARC.

Realized that with bluetooth the sound gets much higher and at about 10 (on yamaha app scale of 50) it starts to appear. But even at this mode at a volume scale of 5 the sound almost disappears...

The soundbar itself behaves a bit like that or my unit can be faulty?

Thanks!
post #113 of 113 Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Has there been any solution or firmware upgrade to solve the problem with the bass dropping out, or other described problems having to do with the bass and vocals?

It's interesting that there are some very positive reviews of this soundbar, along with a certain group of buyers who are plagued with these problems. It's these inconsistencies that puzzle me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
dts virtual:x , soundbar , Yamaha , yas-207

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page