Possible to add just subwoofer to LG OLED? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stevenkha

post #1 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Possible to add just subwoofer to LG OLED?

Is it possible or even a good idea to add just a powered subwoofer to my LG OLED65G6P via the optical out and use the built in sound bar for mids and highs? I reside in a small apt studio so I'm not looking for anything overkill but I also don't want any crap subwoofer if adding just that is even possible? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED65G6P-U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
You could try an optical to analog converter and then add a sub to the analog connection
post #3 of 17 Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

That's true since I'm not seeing any standalone powered subwoofers with an optical in. Anyone one else have ah other suggestions without going all out with a complete sound bar system? Those analog converters aren't cheap either.

LG OLED65G6P-U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkha View Post
Is it possible or even a good idea to add just a powered subwoofer to my LG OLED65G6P via the optical out and use the built in sound bar for mids and highs? I reside in a small apt studio so I'm not looking for anything overkill but I also don't want any crap subwoofer if adding just that is even possible? Any recommendations?

if the sub you plan on using has a cross over adjustment built in you should have no problem to get rid of the higher frequencies Its not optimal as you are not using a true sub output from an amplifier but should work. Monoprice.com has a optical to rca converter for $11.99.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
if the sub you plan on using has a cross over adjustment built in you should have no problem to get rid of the higher frequencies Its not optimal as you are not using a true sub output from an amplifier but should work. Monoprice.com has a optical to rca converter for $11.99.

Will the volume be variable where it goes up and down with the tv volume? I would hate to have to constantly be adjusting the subwoofer volume manually. If that's the case I won't be going that route.

LG OLED65G6P-U
post #6 of 17 Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Will the volume be variable where it goes up and down with the tv volume? I would hate to have to constantly be adjusting the subwoofer volume manually. If that's the case I won't be going that route.

Not sure I 100% understand your question, but yes the volume of the subwoofer will always go up and down regardless of the system you running with volume input. Or did you mean spikes in volume from commercials to programming etc?
post #7 of 17 Old 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure I 100% understand your question, but yes the volume of the subwoofer will always go up and down regardless of the system you running with volume input. Or did you mean spikes in volume from commercials to programming etc?
I was referring to the output volume of the optical out to the sub woofer. I am told my a few people that I would need to get a powered sub woofer that has a remote in order to the control the volume of the sub since the feed coming from the OLED unit would not be affected by the TV. Essentially if I turn the volume of the tv up the factory soundbar will go higher but I will manually need to go to the sub woofer and manually turn it up to compensate. I am getting conflicting answers that it does also adjust the sub woofer volume and others are saying the tv won't control the sub woofer volume as it is designed to have a set volume for the sub woofer/reciever to amplify and the volume and therefore controlled by that unit. Can you clarify?

LG OLED65G6P-U
post #8 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the output volume of the optical out to the sub woofer. I am told my a few people that I would need to get a powered sub woofer that has a remote in order to the control the volume of the sub since the feed coming from the OLED unit would not be affected by the TV. Essentially if I turn the volume of the tv up the factory soundbar will go higher but I will manually need to go to the sub woofer and manually turn it up to compensate. I am getting conflicting answers that it does also adjust the sub woofer volume and others are saying the tv won't control the sub woofer volume as it is designed to have a set volume for the sub woofer/reciever to amplify and the volume and therefore controlled by that unit. Can you clarify?
Ahh, yes in your situation you would definitely want a powered subwoofer and not a passive subwoofer. However to my knowledge there is no reason in either respect that you would need to adjust the volume separately on the subwoofer as again the increase or decrease in volume on the TV will drive the increase across the board on any speakers attached. Powered subwoofers do have a volume setting on them to set the over all level of bass from the source but never a need to adjust once you achieve the level of bass you prefer.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Possible to add just subwoofer to LG OLED?

Quote:
Ahh, yes in your situation you would definitely want a powered subwoofer and not a passive subwoofer. However to my knowledge there is no reason in either respect that you would need to adjust the volume separately on the subwoofer as again the increase or decrease in volume on the TV will drive the increase across the board on any speakers attached. Powered subwoofers do have a volume setting on them to set the over all level of bass from the source but never a need to adjust once you achieve the level of bass you prefer.

So I got a digital to analog converter yesterday from Amazon that got great reviews and what I found is that the volume is set through the optical out. You cannot adjust it via the TV as it is a set volume. I verified this by plugging in a wired headset into the converter and adjusting the TV volume had no affect on the headset volume. I also had to set the optical out to PCM instead of AUTO for any sound to come through the headset. So three things for anyone looking to go this route -

1) You will need a powered subwoofer that has a built in crossover as the optical out sends out the full spectrum of audio and the crossover will filter out the high end and feed only the lows to the sub

2) You will probably want to find a subwoofer that comes with a remote as it will be a pain to walk behind the subwoofer to adjust the volume of the sub to match the TV volume every time you adjust the TV volume. I am looking at the Polk DSW Pro 440 WI. I'm not seeing many models that come with a remote that aren't over priced

3) You can purchase a whole system like a sound bar set but I find that will negate showing the beautiful sound bar that the G6 already has since my TV stand only gives room for it to sit directly in front of it
meles likes this.

LG OLED65G6P-U
post #10 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Sorry I forgot to mention you would want a sub with a remote to control volume if using a DAC on the optical connection.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
So I got a digital to analog converter yesterday from Amazon that got great reviews and what I found is that the volume is set through the optical out. You cannot adjust it via the TV as it is a set volume. I verified this by plugging in a wired headset into the converter and adjusting the TV volume had no affect on the headset volume. I also had to set the optical out to PCM instead of AUTO for any sound to come through the headset. So three things for anyone looking to go this route -

1) You will need a powered subwoofer that has a built in crossover as the optical out sends out the full spectrum of audio and the crossover will filter out the high end and feed only the lows to the sub

2) You will probably want to find a subwoofer that comes with a remote as it will be a pain to walk behind the subwoofer to adjust the volume of the sub to match the TV volume every time you adjust the TV volume. I am looking at the Polk DSW Pro 440 WI. I'm not seeing many models that come with a remote that aren't over priced

3) You can purchase a whole system like a sound bar set but I find that will negate showing the beautiful sound bar that the G6 already has since my TV stand only gives room for it to sit directly in front of it
I'm amazed LG doesn't have an Atmos subwoofer add on to the OLED65G7P, OLED65E7P, and OLED65W7P. The E, G, & W series have dolby atmos sound bars built in. How easy would it be to add a configuration to link to one of their wireless sub's from the full soundbar? The OLED65W7P with its detachable soundbar uses an almost identical speaker system to the SJ9 Atmos soundbar with Sub.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a late comer to the OLED E7P (just got it 2 days ago) and besides it being a stunning tv, I too would love to somehow fit a subwoofer into the mix and use it with the soundbar that it comes with. The soundbar is actually quite nice and loud and clear, but no bass. Can anybody actually recommend a certain brand/model to get for this oled? and where would I be plugging it into exactly? my budget is no more than $500 for the sub. Thanks for any tips and info!!
post #13 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I would like to share some information since i was looking for a similar setup for my e7:

1. A subwoofer with (or without) remote.
2. A DAC- preferebally with a remote

For example: (im not sponsored to share)
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Digit...nverter”

Or if you decide to go with a DAC with no volume control than you can buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/MCM-CUSTOM-50...words=Mcm+line

This will allow you to manage volume coming in from DAC going into the sub. (This unit will be inbetween DAC and Sub)

3. RCA cables
4. Optical cable (most DAC will come with one)

So far im happy with the low frequencies that the built in soundbar is not capbale to produce.

I hope this helps!
post #14 of 17 Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow83 View Post
I would like to share some information since i was looking for a similar setup for my e7:

1. A subwoofer with (or without) remote.
2. A DAC- preferebally with a remote

For example: (im not sponsored to share)
[link removed]

Or if you decide to go with a DAC with no volume control than you can buy this:
[link removed]

This will allow you to manage volume coming in from DAC going into the sub. (This unit will be inbetween DAC and Sub)

3. RCA cables
4. Optical cable (most DAC will come with one)

So far im happy with the low frequencies that the built in soundbar is not capbale to produce.

I hope this helps!
Thank you so much since I am new to this. 2 questions: which subwoofer do u recommend? I am on a budget and would like to get the best bang for my buck. This sub will be in my 2nd floor apt. Secondly, if the sub came with the remote, is there a need to get a DAC with a remote as well? The 1st link u provided has optical input while the 2nd link doesn't?!??!

Thanks in advance
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For a subwoofer you can get:
1. Polk ps111 ($250+ usually)
2. Psw10 ($89 at the time of posting) can be had for lower than this if you look around in slick deals

The second question, No you dont need a DAC with remote if going with a subwoofer already has remote. The second link is an McM device only to control volume that will be coming in from a DAC that does not has a remote (this McM unit iteself is not a DAC just an RCA volume control device), you can basically get any DAC but one that can do dolby and dts will be better, Amazon has many so you will to reaearch each one (Wiistar makes a good one), thanks and pls let me know il b glad to help out 🙂
post #16 of 17 Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
2. Psw10 ($89 at the time of posting) can be had for lower than this if you look around in slick deals

The second question, No you dont need a DAC with remote if going with a subwoofer already has remote. The second link is an McM device only to control volume that will be coming in from a DAC that does not has a remote (this McM unit iteself is not a DAC just an RCA volume control device), you can basically get any DAC but one that can do dolby and dts will be better, Amazon has many so you will to reaearch each one (Wiistar makes a good one), thanks and pls let me know il b glad to help out 🙂
so right now all I have is the LG OLED 65G6P. I can get either:
1. a 5.1 receiver with 4K 2.2 HDMI HDR passthrough with a subwoofer
2. just a subwoofer with remote + DAC
3. just a subwoofer without remote + DAC w/ remote

which one do u think would be the best set up? The reason I kinda want the 5.1 receiver because I just want to use it as HDMI hub. Sound will be on my TV integrated soundbar and the subwoofer. What do you think?

my budget will be $300-500 max
post #17 of 17 Old 10-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

So I'm looking at these two subs - but neither have optical out/in or HDMI Arc. How would we connect this sub to the LG E7?

Also - doesn't the LG E7 support wireless? So in theory, couldn't we add a wireless sub like Sonos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page