Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1325Likes

post #271 of 5286 Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It's interesting to read the reviews for the Nakamichi on Amazon and Best Buy. These are people who have paid for their soundbars, have apparently received no inducements, and they are highly positive, including one from an audiophile/engineer who, although he faulted the equalization adjustments, and wanted a limiter on the subs, was impressed by the system

Why I expect the Nakamichi to do well in tests is that it has 9.2 discrete channels, and physical speakers to back them up. Virtualized channels cannot trump that. Of course the quality of the drivers is also critical.

All vendors push their own commercial interests, but I think it commendable that Nakamichi is making their systems affordable.

I also appreciate Sennheiser's low key approach in introducing their system, even if only a pre-release prototype.
I agree with you. Even though I was a preorder customer and wrote a review of my experience with the 9.2 over here, I think it is best to look at the Amazon verified purchase reviews for now, as we all wait for the professional reviews to surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5286 Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Remote control issue

I am having a strange issue with my 7.2. When I hit any button on the remote control (volume up example), when I go to use my DVR remote, every button I press turns the volume up. If I turn the bass up with the Nakamichi remote, every button I press on the other remote will turn the bass up. As I am fast forwarding through a show, every time I hit fast forward it will repeat the last command sent to the soundbar, which is annoying when the last button you press was volume up then you are blasted. I have trained myself to hit mute first before any other command on the other remote so that it toggles mute on/off.

The other remote is a Verizon fios remote.

I have stripped everything down to barebones, nothing connected to the soundbar except power and the issue is still there.

Any thoughts?
post #273 of 5286 Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Yes. Reach out to Nakamichi tech support. I don't even own one at this point, and they have been very responsive to questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 5286 Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
tppytel, there is space in the room to move the couch up, so if the rears for the Elite or Ultra were placed on the rear wall, how much space should there be between them and the couch?
Nakamici's help page provides setup diagrams and lots of other info. However, their diagrams seem a little sloppy in parts. Their optimal (detached) 9.2 setup shows a rear distance of 6.5 ft, however it's marked as angle of 90-110 degrees. That angle specification doesn't make sense for a rear position (it's correct for side placement). Typically rears are at angle of 135 to 150 degrees, which is what the diagram actually looks like. So I think the rear angle is just a typo. Taking the shallowest angle (135 degrees) and doing a little trig with 6.5 as the hypotenuse gets you a depth behind the couch of 6.5sin45 ~= 4.5 ft.
post #275 of 5286 Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
At least something from a professional reviewer

Quote:
Yes. We need independent tests and reviews for all the soundbars shown at CES.
Been looking around the web to see if there's been any professional reviews and found this video.

I'm guessing that Nakamichi invited some professional reviewers to their suite to witness the listening battle during CES, and if that's the case, perhaps we can expect some reviews to be up soon.
post #276 of 5286 Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
holy crap!!!
my 9.2 came in today
wow, i'm blown away
this thing rocks even with atmos sound track( which it doesn't support) it plays them as DDR but with amazing surround sound

it took me an hour to get used to it but I am really impressed.
this made my ST5000 looks like a 100 dollars soundbar ( glad i sold it )
but with all that praises there's always issues

for one, this soundbar can not display menu to the TV
so you will have to use a tiny LCD screen they have which is kinda hard to see
I had to actually read the damn manual and i rarely do.
I wish they would upgrade it and allow the menu to be displayed to your TV
would make things so much easier

other than that this thing is amazing. I really thought the reviews were paid off lol
my review will not be 5 stars but it is a 5 stars for sound for sure
will post my review on amazon it's a 4 stars for sure
they need to update it so far i'm in love
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_152453.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2349776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_152446.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2349778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_153120.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2349780  

Last edited by 4klover; 01-22-2018 at 03:23 PM.
post #277 of 5286 Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
holy crap!!!
my 9.2 came in today
wow, i'm blow away
this thing rocks even with atmos sound track( which it doesn't support) it plays them as DDR but with amazing surround sound

it took me an hour to get used to it but I am really impressed.
this made my ST5000 looks like a 100 dollars soundbar ( glad i sold it (
but with all that praises there's always something issues

for one, this soundbar can not display menu to the TV
so you will have to use a tiny LCD scren they have which is kinda hard to see
I had to actually read the damn manual and i rarely do.
I wish they would upgrade it and allow the menu to be displayed to your TV
would make things so much easier

other than that this thing is amazing. I really thought the reviews were paid off lol
my review will not be 5 stars but it is a 5 stars for sound for sure
will post my review on amazon it's a 4 stars for sure
they need to update it so far i'm in love
Can you hear sound above you? Also, how is the dialog sound.? Center channel with good clear dialog sound is most important in a movie sound setup.
post #278 of 5286 Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you hear any height effects with Atmos or DTS X?
What's the quality of the midrange, and how is it with music?
Do you have it set up in the 9.2 configuration?

You should send both your praise as well as your gripes to the manufacturer. I wonder if it would be possible to add on screen controls with a firmware upgrade. The other interesting review n Amazon was from someone in the audio industry, and he, like you, was more than impressed with the sound quality, but also wanted better controls. As a result he gave it four stars as well, for similar reasons as you. But he put it into perspective as he felt this soundbar provides tremendous performance and features for a price that is completely affordable. No mean feat.

Last edited by taichi4; 01-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #279 of 5286 Old 01-22-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Can you hear sound above you? Also, how is the dialog sound.? Center channel with good clear dialog sound is most important in a movie sound setup.
dialog is amazing. I had to play around with it in other to get it the way i want it. It had too much base in the dialog so i had to play around with it

Yes only for DTSX format stuff
Atmos, not so much but i can hear stuff behind me coming around me and stuff
i can hear tiny little details like if someone is talking far away in the background, going upstairs or something lol

Quote:
Do you hear any height effects with Atmos or DTS X?
What's the quality of the midrange, and how is it with music?

Do you have it set up in the 9.2 configuration?

You should send both your praise as well as your gripes to the manufacturer. I wonder if it would be possible to add on screen controls with a firmware upgrade. The other interesting review n Amazon was from someone in the audio industry, and he, like you, was more than impressed with the sound quality, but also wanted better controls. As a result he gave it four stars as well, for similar reasons as you. But he put it into perspective as he felt this soundbar provides tremendous performance and features for a price that is completely affordable. No mean feat.
music sounds amaazing on it. I wouldn't say it's better than ST5000 chromecast one but this one sounds better using bluetooth than the ST5000
The clarity and base is just amazing

I have it set up as the 9.2 configuration sorta. I don't have a lot of space so i can't really mount them
so each rear are 3 to 5 feet away from me and one sub is in front of me and the other is next to me since i have no more space LOL
i need to do some cleaning and throw some crap out
yeah, I messaged them. the tiny LCD screen is just not ideal at all
it's hard to get what you are looking for

I missed my ST5000 amazing control but i don't miss it when it comes to sound
NorthJersey and Micarina like this.

Last edited by 4klover; 01-24-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #280 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hello all. I just purchased the 7.1 DTS:X and I was curious about what audio settings to use on my Xbox One X. I'm only going to be gaming on my Xbox not watching blu-rays, the Xbox is being connected via HDMI to the sound bar. I was under the impression that using the "uncompressed 7.1" audio setting on the Xbox would be the best way to go when using HDMI but I'm now getting info saying that I should only use the bitstream option. My sound bar arrives today so I've yet to hook it up but if anyone that has an Xbox and this sound bar could give me their advice as to which one is correct I'd really appreciate it.
post #281 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
I have listened to the K950 in two local stores. The 9.2 will absolutely destroy it. After all virtual sex cannot beat real sex, right lol. The K950 is simulated and this is true discrete 9 channel surround sound. Peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
Hello all. I just purchased the 7.1 DTS:X and I was curious about what audio settings to use on my Xbox One X. I'm only going to be gaming on my Xbox not watching blu-rays, the Xbox is being connected via HDMI to the sound bar. I was under the impression that using the "uncompressed 7.1" audio setting on the Xbox would be the best way to go when using HDMI but I'm now getting info saying that I should only use the bitstream option. My sound bar arrives today so I've yet to hook it up but if anyone that has an Xbox and this sound bar could give me their advice as to which one is correct I'd really appreciate it.
This is a very informative thread. I currently have an older Vizio 5.1 set up and I'm doing research on newer systems. I want ATMOS but the only ATMOS system with rears is the Samsung K950. But, I found out through research that for now, that soundbar system does not support ATMOS over ARC. And, there is no guarantee if it ever will. I need ARC.

So, I have been researching the Nakamichi Shockwafe systems and it seems from actual owners here that the sound quality is on par with "ATMOS sound." With that being said I am looking at the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 or the Pro 7.1 DTS-X. Is the 7.1 DTS-X model worth the upgrade and what exactly are you getting over the 7.1?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #282 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
This is a very informative thread. I currently have an older Vizio 5.1 set up and I'm doing research on newer systems. I want ATMOS but the only ATMOS system with rears is the Samsung K950. But, I found out through research that for now, that soundbar system does not support ATMOS over ARC. And, there is no guarantee if it ever will. I need ARC.

So, I have been researching the Nakamichi Shockwafe systems and it seems from actual owners here that the sound quality is on par with "ATMOS sound." With that being said I am looking at the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 or the Pro 7.1 DTS-X. Is the 7.1 DTS-X model worth the upgrade and what exactly are you getting over the 7.1?

I purchased the DTS-X model because from the specs I've seen it has HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 inputs while the non-DTS-X model only has HDMI 1.4.
post #283 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:

I think you should go with the 9.2
I have it.
I'm so in love.
I have no idea if the 7.1 version will sound the same but I know my 9.2 destroyed my st5000 and will destroy the creative, Samsung one as well
post #284 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16170
I wish I was reviewing the Nakamichi, given that a Creative Sonic Carrier arrives this week. I'd love to know how they actually compare.

Unfortunately, two emails I received from Nakamichi have effectively tanked the review I was going to perform on the Shockwafe 9.2

First email:

"I just wanted to inform you that within the next 2 weeks, we are going to release an important firmware upgrade that addresses certain EQ opportunities for the 9.2 soundbar system based on some initial feedback by our customers. If you have not started on the first look of the bar, is it possible to hold it off until I send you the new firmware within the next 2 weeks?"

and then...

"Sorry to trouble you. We further discovered that your Ultra 9.2 soundbar, being 1 of our very first samples, has a firmware issue that cannot be fixed and is therefore not suitable for a review. Can I trouble you to send the unit back to us? We will provide you a prepaid UPS label."

This morning I sent an email to Nakamichi asking if a replacement review unit is forthcoming, or not.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #285 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since the timing of reviews is in your hands, why not just wait until Nakamichi sends you a new unit?
post #286 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Since the timing of reviews is in your hands, why not just wait until Nakamichi sends you a new unit?

I just asked for a replacement 9.2 system from Nakamichi, but I'm not going to hold up one review for another. If Nakamichi sends me something and the timing is right then I'll be able to make the direct comparison. Otherwise the comparison will be indirect, but in the same room with the same type of content etc. If Nakamichi sends a replacement, that is.

Plus, the reality is I have other soundbars in my review queue as well... Bluesound Pulse is what's next before the Creative Sonic Carrier.

My general feeling on the Nakamichi is that it's a hybrid soundbar/HTiB that comes with good subs and speakers... and that always counts for a lot. But it's a different use scenario than the Creative, at the end of the day optimal placement of physical surrounds is not as aesthetically clean as a single unit solution.

The price of the Nakamichi rig is undeniably appealing. I should have an answer on the review unit soon.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-24-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #287 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When will you be reviewing the Samsung?
post #288 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I just asked for a replacement 9.2 system from Nakamichi, but I'm not going to hold up one review for another. If Nakamichi sends me something and the timing is right then I'll be able to make the direct comparison. Otherwise the comparison will be indirect, but in the same room with the same type of content etc. If Nakamichi sends a replacement, that is.

Plus, the reality is I have other soundbars in my review queue as well... Bluesound Pulse is what's next before the Creative Sonic Carrier.

My general feeling on the Nakamichi is that it's a hybrid soundbar/HTiB that comes with good subs and speakers... and that always counts for a lot. But it's a different use scenario than the Creative, at the end of the day optimal placement of physical surrounds is not as aesthetically clean as a single unit solution.

The price of the Nakamichi rig is undeniably appealing. I should have an answer on the review unit soon.
can't wait for your review specially for the creative if it's worth the price but i know the naka will win hands down for sure.
post #289 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
When will you be reviewing the Samsung?
I don't have timing on that yet...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #290 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
Hello all. I just purchased the 7.1 DTS:X and I was curious about what audio settings to use on my Xbox One X. I'm only going to be gaming on my Xbox not watching blu-rays, the Xbox is being connected via HDMI to the sound bar. I was under the impression that using the "uncompressed 7.1" audio setting on the Xbox would be the best way to go...
Yes, that is the best way to go sound-wise. Game audio is natively LPCM, so there's no particular reason to DTS/DD encode it if your sound system can handle 7.1 LPCM (which the Nakamichi can). However, passing the console's HDMI through a soundbar or receiver always opens you up to potential bugs and incompatibilities. If you run into problems with the picture, input lag, etc. you could instead connect directly to the TV and then get the audio back out to the bar via ARC. In that case, you'd need to choose Bitstream in order to encode the game audio into DTS, as uncompressed 7.1 isn't going to work over ARC. (At least... it shouldn't. I seem to be able to get 5.1 PCM over ARC, and that shouldn't work either.)

Last edited by tppytel; 01-24-2018 at 04:23 PM.
post #291 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
With that being said I am looking at the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 or the Pro 7.1 DTS-X. Is the 7.1 DTS-X model worth the upgrade and what exactly are you getting over the 7.1?
I own the older 7.1 Pro, purchased before the DTS:X models were announced. You do get some real improvements with the DTS:X version. The most important one is likely the better passthrough support - the old model doesn't support full 4K/HDR passthrough. Being able to hook up a UHD player or PS4 or whatever to the soundbar and keep full HDR support should simplify your configuration significantly. The new model also supports true 7.1 channel input - the old one only supported 5.1 input despite the name. Now... you're still pumping those channels through the same physical speaker configuration, so it's not clear how much a difference it makes. I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison. You also get some unspecified improvements to the driver construction, DTS:X and DTS-HD support, 2-way satellites, a better remote, and an extra HDMI input.

If I were buying again today, I'd buy the 7.1 DTS:X for the extra $150. But I can also imagine a more value-oriented TV setup (maybe with something like a 55" 900E or similar) where you'd want better than average movie audio for a soundbar but not quite feel the extra bells and whistles justify paying about 25% more on audio. Most of the limitations of the older model can be minimized or worked around with some extra effort.
post #292 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I own the older 7.1 Pro, purchased before the DTS:X models were announced. You do get some real improvements with the DTS:X version. The most important one is likely the better passthrough support - the old model doesn't support full 4K/HDR passthrough. Being able to hook up a UHD player or PS4 or whatever to the soundbar and keep full HDR support should simplify your configuration significantly. The new model also supports true 7.1 channel input - the old one only supported 5.1 input despite the name. Now... you're still pumping those channels through the same physical speaker configuration, so it's not clear how much a difference it makes. I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison. You also get some unspecified improvements to the driver construction, DTS:X and DTS-HD support, 2-way satellites, a better remote, and an extra HDMI input.

If I were buying again today, I'd buy the 7.1 DTS:X for the extra $150. But I can also imagine a more value-oriented TV setup (maybe with something like a 55" 900E or similar) where you'd want better than average movie audio for a soundbar but not quite feel the extra bells and whistles justify paying about 25% more on audio. Most of the limitations of the older model can be minimized or worked around with some extra effort.
Thank you.

How are the two way satellites different then "regular" satellites?

I currently have my ATV 4K, FIOS box, and Oppo running to the tv...each via their own HDMI cable. I have 1 HDMI cable coming out via the ARC port. Would I choose bitstream?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #293 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How are the two way satellites different then "regular" satellites?
An "n-way speaker" divides the audio signal across n separate drivers, each playing a different frequency band. So a two way speaker has a separate woofer and tweeter. This allows for drivers that are physically more specialized to their range, and thus for more accurate sound reproduction than just having one driver do it all. I would say the satellites on my old 7.1 Pro system are adequate but not terrific. I'd expect the two way sats in the new system would sound a bit better. But we don't watch many action movies with a lot of surround sound effects, so it's not a critical issue to me.

Quote:
I currently have my ATV 4K, FIOS box, and Oppo running to the tv...each via their own HDMI cable. I have 1 HDMI cable coming out via the ARC port. Would I choose bitstream?
I'm not understanding your question. Are you asking about those devices assuming you buy one of the Nak bars? If so, which model?
post #294 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
An "n-way speaker" divides the audio signal across n separate drivers, each playing a different frequency band. So a two way speaker has a separate woofer and tweeter. This allows for drivers that are physically more specialized to their range, and thus for more accurate sound reproduction than just having one driver do it all. I would say the satellites on my old 7.1 Pro system are adequate but not terrific. I'd expect the two way sats in the new system would sound a bit better. But we don't watch many action movies with a lot of surround sound effects, so it's not a critical issue to me.

I'm not understanding your question. Are you asking about those devices assuming you buy one of the Nak bars? If so, which model?
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am asking about those devices with the Pro 7.1Ch DTS-X.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #295 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When the Nakamichi was first introduced I asked them a lot of questions via email. From what I understand all the drivers in the system have been upgraded relative to the original 7.1 system.
post #296 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am asking about those devices with the Pro 7.1Ch DTS-X.
I believe bitstream will be the best option to let the soundbar do the decoding job.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #297 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK. Then the simplest option - if you don't run into incompatibilities - is to run everything to the bar and then from the bar to the TV. That avoids any ARC messiness. You should also be able to bitstream just about everything - the DTS:X decodes DD, DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS:X and takes up to 7.1 PCM. The one slight problem would be playing a TrueHD track from the Oppo - the Nakamichi bars don't decode lossless TrueHD. They will, however, take the DD stream packaged along with it and play that automatically. Or you could set the Oppo to decode to 7.1 LPCM when you're playing a TrueHD track and that would get you lossless audio (not that you'd necessarily hear a difference). I'm also not sure about DD+ from streaming sources like Netflix. I think the bar will pull a DD core from DD+, which would be fine except in the rare case of DD+ streams with greater than 5.1 audio (not sure those exist in the wild, though). DD only goes to 5.1 channels, DD+ can have more. But the difference should be negligible.

The possible problem is that routing sources through a soundbar or receiver presents more potential for weird bugs to pop up. If you bump into one, you may end up wanting to connect that device directly to the TV and then you'll need to use ARC to get audio to the bar. Best to cross that bridge if you come to it. You can never tell if everything will play nicely together for sure until you actually hook it all up.
PlasmaHiDef and Micarina like this.
post #298 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is the best way to go sound-wise. Game audio is natively LPCM, so there's no particular reason to DTS/DD encode it if your sound system can handle 7.1 LPCM (which the Nakamichi can). However, passing the console's HDMI through a soundbar or receiver always opens you up to potential bugs and incompatibilities. If you run into problems with the picture, input lag, etc. you could instead connect directly to the TV and then get the audio back out to the bar via ARC. In that case, you'd need to choose Bitstream in order to encode the game audio into DTS, as uncompressed 7.1 isn't going to work over ARC. (At least... it shouldn't. I seem to be able to get 5.1 PCM over ARC, and that shouldn't work either.)
Theoretically speaking, the ARC can support more number of audio channel (up to 32 channels according to the standard) but it is down to how many output channel the TV can support. I heard from my friend that his new LG C7 TV can output dolby digital plus content which should go up to 7.1 channel.

Nonetheless, I think it is always better to let the soundbar do the decoding job since that is a dedicated device for decoding multichannel audio with corresponding channel mapping for the output.
post #299 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Ya I believe nakamichi soundbar and creative soundbar serve 2 types of target customers. one for the better surround immersiveness and even distribbuted bass with dedicated surround speakers and dual subs, while another one is for clean convenience wife-friendly setup with simulated surround effect which can be highly affected by its listening environment and narrower sweet spot.

The world is not perfect, yet.
post #300 of 5286 Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Theoretically speaking, the ARC can support more number of audio channel (up to 32 channels according to the standard) but it is down to how many output channel the TV can support.
Yes, but the limiting factor with LPCM should be bandwidth. By every account I've read, you can't ARC more than stereo LPCM because the ARC standard doesn't allow any more bandwidth. To get surround, you need DTS or DD to reduce the bandwidth enough for the additional channels. Except that I've tested it backwards and forwards and I seem to be able to ARC 5.1 LPCM through my LG C7 just fine. I don't understand how this is possible, but it seems to work. Nakamichi confirmed that it should work, but this assertion seems to contradict every other description of ARC I've read anywhere on the web. One person on the C7 thread suggested this was a fortuitous glitch specific to my devices, aided by a very short HDMI cable.

Quote:
I heard from my friend that his new LG C7 TV can output dolby digital plus content which should go up to 7.1 channel.
The LG OLED's can definitely ARC DD+. And DD+ can do way more channels - up to 15 theoretically. I don't know of any sources that go beyond DD+ 5.1, but I don't do much streaming either.

Quote:
Ya I believe nakamichi soundbar and creative soundbar serve 2 types of target customers. one for the better surround immersiveness and even distribbuted bass with dedicated surround speakers and dual subs, while another one is for clean convenience wife-friendly setup with simulated surround effect which can be highly affected by its listening environment and narrower sweet spot.
I think that's generally true. But I've always maintained that the 7.1 systems (new or old models) are really nice sweet spots between those extremes. A single wireless sub with two wired sats and a sleek soundbar in front is way more wife-friendly than a full 5.1 AVR setup, but also provides surround accuracy you can't get from simulation. Yet there's very little competition in this space beyond Vizio.

And FWIW, I don't care for the "wife-friendly" descriptor very much, even though I understand it's roughly accurate for many AVS'ers. But our system is set up in our family room, and I don't want a ton of speakers and gear piled up any more than my wife does. We want our family room to be a spot to hang out, read, and entertain as well as watch movies. I don't want it to scream "electronics geek den". I think it's sufficient to say that some soundbar systems are more "aesthetically pleasing" than other audio solutions.
NorthJersey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page