Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1307Likes

post #301 of 5211 Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
Yes, but the limiting factor with LPCM should be bandwidth. By every account I've read, you can't ARC more than stereo LPCM because the ARC standard doesn't allow any more bandwidth. To get surround, you need DTS or DD to reduce the bandwidth enough for the additional channels. Except that I've tested it backwards and forwards and I seem to be able to ARC 5.1 LPCM through my LG C7 just fine. I don't understand how this is possible, but it seems to work. Nakamichi confirmed that it should work, but this assertion seems to contradict every other description of ARC I've read anywhere on the web. One person on the C7 thread suggested this was a fortuitous glitch specific to my devices, aided by a very short HDMI cable.

The LG OLED's can definitely ARC DD+. And DD+ can do way more channels - up to 15 theoretically. I don't know of any sources that go beyond DD+ 5.1, but I don't do much streaming either.
Thats a good piece of information. Thanks mate. learned something new today. I don't do much streaming either but quite a few of them required DD+ for streaming which I decided to just plug into my TV.

Quote:
I think that's generally true. But I've always maintained that the 7.1 systems (new or old models) are really nice sweet spots between those extremes. A single wireless sub with two wired sats and a sleek soundbar in front is way more wife-friendly than a full 5.1 AVR setup, but also provides surround accuracy you can't get from simulation. Yet there's very little competition in this space beyond Vizio.

And FWIW, I don't care for the "wife-friendly" descriptor very much, even though I understand it's roughly accurate for many AVS'ers. But our system is set up in our family room, and I don't want a ton of speakers and gear piled up any more than my wife does. We want our family room to be a spot to hang out, read, and entertain as well as watch movies. I don't want it to scream "electronics geek den". I think it's sufficient to say that some soundbar systems are more "aesthetically pleasing" than other audio solutions.
As an owner of ultra 9.2, it took me awhile to convince my wife for the system and I am glad I did. My wife and I love the system in the living room and now we spend more time than ever in living room for drama and movies. the next upgrade for me will be a great 4k 65 inch TV.

I am actually agreed with you that 7.1 system can be a very nice sweet spot between the good immersive surround and simplicity. Im thinking to get a set of pro 7.1 dtsx for my bedroom and it should be fairly easy to fit into my small bedroom compared to my living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
question, if I decided to go with the Shockwafe 7.2 Elite, is there an upgrade path to add two more speakers to become like the 9.2 Ultra model?
some are made it seem that the base soundbar and the two woofers are the same between the two models
post #303 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
NorthJersey:

I think your best bet is to email Nakamichi, as only they would know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Another Happy Customer!

Just received and set up my Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 System and I am totally blown away with the sound quality and immersiveness of this product! Setup was a breeze (biggest headache was attaching the rear satellites to some stands I bought off of Amazon).

Without any changes to the out of the box settings I threw the 4K Jason Bourne disc which has a DTS:X track into my Oppo 203. Wow! Absolutely stunning reproduction of a very challenging sound track. As others have pointed out I think one of the very best features of the NAK is the attention paid to making sure dialog is crystal clear. I heard subtle nuances of sound that I simply never experienced on my older Sony HT-CT660 sound bar. I also sampled some Atmos demo tracks and was equally impressed; while I would obviously prefer that the NAK supported Atmos natively I think the Neural:X processing is sufficient to keep me happy and I don’t believe those of you on the fence regarding this product should view that as a negative when considering it.

I look forward to screening my remaining 4K collection using this system. Thanks to Nakamichi I can now say that I am finally getting full value out of those expensive 4K discs I have been purchasing!
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K

Last edited by RickD_99; 01-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.
post #305 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Just received and set up my Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 System and I am totally blown away with the sound quality and immersiveness of this product! Setup was a breeze (biggest headache was attaching the rear satellites to some stands I bought off of Amazon).

Without any changes to the out of the box settings I threw the 4K Jason Bourne disc which has a DTS:X track into my Oppo 203. Wow! Absolutely stunning reproduction of a very challenging sound track. As others have pointed out I think one of the very best features of the NAK is the attention paid to making sure dialog is crystal clear. I heard subtle nuances of sound that I simply never experienced on my older Sony 2.1 soundbar. I also sampled some Atmos demo tracks and was equally impressed; while I would obviously prefer that the NAK supported Atmos natively I think the Neural:X processing is sufficient to keep me happy and I don’t believe those of you on the fence regarding this product should view that as a negative when considering it.

I look forward to screening my remaining 4K collection using this system. Thanks to Nakamichi I can now say that I am finally getting full value out of those expensive 4K discs I have been purchasing!
yup it's gonna be hard to top this soundbar even with no atmos
have you lost signal with your oppo so far ?
I randomly lost imagine signal with it while playing movies
changed cable many times still happening.
i emailed naka but they told me to change everything to auto but kept happening randomly
maybe your HMDI are better than mine
what type of HDMI are you using ?
post #306 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
i emailed naka but they told me to change everything to auto but kept happening randomly
Nope no HDMI signal losses so far using either DirecTV or the Oppo 203 as a source. Regarding the Oppo 203 I am using a dual HDMI cable setup: the Oppo supplied HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI out directly to HDMI input 3 on my LG OLED C6. A second Amazon Basics HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI Audio out to the HDMI 4 input on the Naka.

As far as HDMI cables go I would recommend using only Certified Premium 4K cables. The Monoprice Certified Premiums on Amazon are currently about 6 bucks each for the 6 ft sizes so if that 6 foot size works for you you could replace all of the HDMI cables in your setup without breaking the bank.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #307 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
are you losing video or audio signal? if it's video, try swapping your hdmi cable out for high-speed 18gpbs certified hdmi cables. They are cheap on monoprice.com or amazon blue jeans cables
post #308 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
are you losing video or audio signal? if it's video, try swapping your hdmi cable out for high-speed 18gpbs certified hdmi cables. They are cheap on monoprice.com or amazon blue jeans cables
yeah already tried that with many 4k ready hdmi cables

Quote:
Nope no HDMI signal losses so far using either DirecTV or the Oppo 203 as a source. Regarding the Oppo 203 I am using a dual HDMI cable setup: the Oppo supplied HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI out directly to HDMI input 3 on my LG OLED C6. A second Amazon Basics HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI Audio out to the HDMI 4 input on the Naka.

As far as HDMI cables go I would recommend using only Certified Premium 4K cables. The Monoprice Certified Premiums on Amazon are currently about 6 bucks each for the 6 ft sizes so if that 6 foot size works for you you could replace all of the HDMI cables in your setup without breaking the bank.
very interesting
gonna try that now

thank you
post #309 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Regarding the Oppo 203 I am using a dual HDMI cable setup: the Oppo supplied HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI out directly to HDMI input 3 on my LG OLED C6. A second Amazon Basics HDMI cable goes from the Oppo HDMI Audio out to the HDMI 4 input on the Naka.
Is that configuration tested and stable for you? I tried it with my Oppo 203 and C7 and couldn't get it to work stably - pausing/resuming or seeking would break the HDMI handshake and mess everything up. But that was with the older 7.1 Pro model. It's possible the new ones handle this better. It's also possible that my problems could have been fixed by swapping around a bunch of ports and tweaking CEC settings, but I liked the way everything else was working and didn't want to mess with it.
post #310 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that configuration tested and stable for you? I tried it with my Oppo 203 and C7 and couldn't get it to work stably - pausing/resuming or seeking would break the HDMI handshake and mess everything up. But that was with the older 7.1 Pro model. It's possible the new ones handle this better. It's also possible that my problems could have been fixed by swapping around a bunch of ports and tweaking CEC settings, but I liked the way everything else was working and didn't want to mess with it.
Yeah I’ve been using the dual HDMI config since I purchased my Oppo 203 in December 2016. Worked perfectly with my previous Sony HT-CT660 sound bar for a year and so far ( fingers crossed) with the Nakamichi 9.2 as well. I am avoiding ARC in my setup because my 2016 LG OLED can’t pass Atmos (nor DTS:X I presume) via ARC. It seems from reading the Nakamichi manual that you must be using ARC in order for their version of CEC to work so by bypassing ARC I am also bypassing CEC. Kinda sucks having to manually select my source on power up but at least everything works the way I want it to so far.
tppytel likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #311 of 5211 Old 01-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Interesting - thanks for the details. I suspect CEC is the source of my problems and not a limitation in the 7.1 Pro. But CEC makes everything else so seamless and family-friendly that I don't want to blow that up. We have the TV and its apps, a Shield TV, the Oppo 203, a PS4, a WiiU, and an OSSC for retro games - and it basically all just works with the LG Magic Remote, which is pretty amazing. I only have to grab one of the other remotes from the basket if I'm tweaking or testing something, never for day-to-day playback.

As it turned out, I was able to get my C7 to ARC 5.1 PCM to the bar (shouldn't work by the specs, but it does) and that's the limit of what the old 7.1 Pro can accept. So I just set the Oppo to output 5.1 PCM and didn't end up needing the dual audio option anyway.
post #312 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Without any changes to the out of the box settings I threw the 4K Jason Bourne disc which has a DTS:X track into my Oppo 203. Wow! Absolutely stunning reproduction of a very challenging sound track. As others have pointed out I think one of the very best features of the NAK is the attention paid to making sure dialog is crystal clear. I heard subtle nuances of sound that I simply never experienced on my older Sony HT-CT660 sound bar. I also sampled some Atmos demo tracks and was equally impressed; while I would obviously prefer that the NAK supported Atmos natively I think the Neural:X processing is sufficient to keep me happy and I don’t believe those of you on the fence regarding this product should view that as a negative when considering it.

Thanks RickD_99 for another personal review. I too wish that NAK supported ATMOS but you are one of the numerous people who have now said the sound quality on these systems is superb without it. Makes my decision a no brainer now.
RickD_99 likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 01-26-2018 at 07:23 AM.
post #313 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
yeah already tried that with many 4k ready hdmi cables
Saying 4K ready is not good enough. It has to say Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with the silver and orange symbol on the bag. "4K ready" cables are not the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2351242  

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 01-26-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #314 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Saying 4K ready is not good enough, it has to say Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with the silver and orange symbol on the bag. "4K ready" cables are not the same.
4k ready as certified premium cables.
I have many of them bought off Amazon.
Dual set up fixed the issue but I want arc
Also I noticed the screen on the oppo screen wasn't blue enough where connect with one way step up
Just felt like the hdmi going through the arc isn't strong enough to produce great picture
post #315 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
4k ready as certified premium cables.
I have many of them bought off Amazon.
Dual set up fixed the issue but I want arc
Also I noticed the screen on the oppo screen wasn't blue enough where connect with one way step up
Just felt like the hdmi going through the arc isn't strong enough to produce great picture
What ARC issue are you having?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #316 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Interesting - thanks for the details. I suspect CEC is the source of my problems and not a limitation in the 7.1 Pro. But CEC makes everything else so seamless and family-friendly that I don't want to blow that up.
That's where I'm at. I bought the 9.2 but am running it with the surrounds in the dipole mode. I also have a C7 and it is my main viewing space but I also have a dedicated theater with a projector and more advanced surround, so I'll make do with the limitations. It's a huge step from everything that preceded it.

I also just want to throw a shout out to Nak support. I had an issue where the bar appeared to die on me, they really went out of their way to get it fixed - including offering to send me a new bar (I had thrown the packaging away at that point and really didn't want to ship everything back) - but at the last minute they sent me a firmware update and it fixed everything. I talked to two people on the phone one of them was pretty high up the company ladder by my impression. They were super to deal with, and given that they are overseas and not a giant, I have to admit I was very impressed by the support I got. Also to their credit they understood I was a fairly advanced user and didn't make me do all the basic troubleshooting I had documented before I went to them. Another big plus!

XBox: King Nuthin
post #317 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
What ARC issue are you having?
i have a C7 as well with oppo 203
my issue is that i lost signal to the TV while movie is playing but I had to switch input to get it back
it doesn't happen when I have dual set up
only when everything is connected to the soundbar via ARC

See the first pic? the image isn't so blue
that's via ARC

and this one the wallpaper and menu are very blue looking and not wash out.
that's straight to the TV via dual set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180126_113211.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	883.7 KB
ID:	2351342   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180126_113613.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	716.3 KB
ID:	2351344  
post #318 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you that have the Nakamichi 9.2 System is FW10 the latest firmware? That’s what is showing when I press info on the remote...

BTW I have had no issues at all with the remote as some had mentioned earlier in this thread...

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #319 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
For those of you that have the Nakamichi 9.2 System is FW10 the latest firmware? That’s what is showing when I press info on the remote...

BTW I have had no issues at all with the remote as some had mentioned earlier in this thread...
Have you posted your overall impressions of the Nakamichi?

Do you sense any height effects?
post #320 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sometime next month or two, I'm thinking about purchasing the Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X soundbar to replace my current Vizio soundbar. The Vizio is alright but I feel I'll be much happier with Nakamichi due to crap-ton of more features not to mention my Vizio doesn't support any DTS tracks, only Dolby. Should I go for it or wait a little bit?

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #321 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've had my Shockwafe 7.1 DTS-X for a couple days now and it's a huge improvement over my Vizio 5.1 sound bar. I am having one issue though and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar. A few times I've turned on the sound bar but the rear surrounds and subwoofer don't come on. The sound bar is receiving a DTS signal and everything looks fine, the light on the back of the subwoofer isn't blinking so it's connected, but there is no sound coming from the rears or the sub. I have to press the 'Surround on' button on the remote and then they start working. It only seems to happen when I turn on the sound bar but it works fine after that. Any ideas why that is?
PlasmaHiDef likes this.
post #322 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Have you posted your overall impressions of the Nakamichi?

Do you sense any height effects?
See my post # 304 above^^^

As far as height effects are concerned I did notice some helicopter effects during my screening of the DTS:X Jason Bourne disc but I would hardly classify them as mind blowing. I'm sure if I paid my local AV installer $5000 or more to install a full blown Atmos system with ceiling speakers the helicopter effects would (I would hope) be mind blowing. I'm not sure height effects are enough of an incentive to pay $4000 more for a setup. As always YMMV!

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #323 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:

yes, it came to with latest
no new firmware
post #324 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Sometime next month or two, I'm thinking about purchasing the Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X soundbar to replace my current Vizio soundbar. The Vizio is alright but I feel I'll be much happier with Nakamichi due to crap-ton of more features not to mention my Vizio doesn't support any DTS tracks, only Dolby. Should I go for it or wait a little bit?
Same boat as you. I currently have a older Vizio 5.1 setup and want the Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X. Sound is fine but I'm hearing these sound a lot better. I'm not in a rush so I am waiting to see if they drop the price a little more. These are new so I am not sure how long that will take.
Zoland2020 likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #325 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
I've had my Shockwafe 7.1 DTS-X for a couple days now and it's a huge improvement over my Vizio 5.1 sound bar. I am having one issue though and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar. A few times I've turned on the sound bar but the rear surrounds and subwoofer don't come on. The sound bar is receiving a DTS signal and everything looks fine, the light on the back of the subwoofer isn't blinking so it's connected, but there is no sound coming from the rears or the sub. I have to press the 'Surround on' button on the remote and then they start working. It only seems to happen when I turn on the sound bar but it works fine after that. Any ideas why that is?
According to post #316 above ^^^ their customer service is excellent. I would reach out to them directly and let them walk you through the troubleshooting process.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #326 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
You may want to reset your system, not sure if the 7.1 reset is the same as a 9.2
Go to HDMI ARC - Use setup button - Find Reset and then Enter
post #327 of 5211 Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Love my 9.2 so far. Do you know where I can find a professional review? This is the closest I have found.
https://www.facebook.com/Audioholics...5926319237165/
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
post #328 of 5211 Old 01-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I'm ready to go down to Best Buy today for a demo, if anyone can tell me whether or not they have the 9.2 and 7.2 in stock so that I can hear them.

It sounds like these models will fit my needs and my wallet all at the same time!
post #329 of 5211 Old 01-27-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I'm ready to go down to Best Buy today for a demo, if anyone can tell me whether or not they have the 9.2 and 7.2 in stock so that I can hear them.

It sounds like these models will fit my needs and my wallet all at the same time!
Well, that was a wasted trip, no Best Buy store in Arizona stocks Nakamichi. No demo for my butt!
post #330 of 5211 Old 01-27-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Admittedly I have not read each reply. My take of the Nakamichi Shockwafe DTS:X Ultra 9.2 Soundbar concerns setup and room shape. I do agree this system seems awesome yet the Nakamichi Shockwafe DTS:X Ultra 9.2 Soundbar is a full fledged, almost full size audio system requiring a defined shaped room, room size and dedicated speaker locations. Seemingly, this system is basically the reverse of a soundbars intent. That being a audio component which in itself and a sub to can provide excellent audio without taking up much placement space. I am sensitive to this issue since our home does not and can not provide the required physical parameters necessary for such a fantastic system. Sadly, the Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 seems to be too much of a good thing for many soundbar consumers. Heck, our room is such a odd design I can't even add rear wireless speakers.

Absolutely, no criticism intended. Simply my view point.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page