Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1305Likes

post #3301 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
They're they're not at all proprietary the only thing is that one side that goes to the subwoofer is straight and the one that goes in the speaker has that kind of stand-up fixture was just makes it easier to mount somewhere but it is so not proprietary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Awesome. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
To repeat a point I've made earlier on this thread, ARC HDMI problems appear to plague all electronics, even LeEco TVs, which were mentioned earlier. As much as the industry likes to aim for standardization, the reality is that when you set up a chain of electronic devices there are all sorts of subtle interactions between devices from different manufacturers that in my opinion are somewhat unpredictable.

You might simply be lucky to have some particular combination of TV, streaming device, audio device, etc. and encounter few problems. Unfortunately, most people seem to be unlucky in this regard, and I continue to believe the ARC is an imperfect technology. To abandon an excellent soundbar over these issues may launch one into a new episode of frustration with other devices. One great thing about Nakamichi is that when they promise a firmware upgrade it actually happens. This is not necessarily the case with many other manufacturers.

Just plug in the name of any electronic device along with "HDMI ARC problems" (or a similar search) and you'll see that these problems are pretty much ubiquitous.
RickD_99 and stu5797 like this.
post #3303 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
Forgot to add, I had a problem as well until I checked 4:2:2 off in the system menu. Not sure if you tried this, but that did the trick for me.
Thanks for the idea. Tried every combination of 4:2:2 and hdr on/off i could think of. Still no luck passing 4k from the xbox one x.

AppleTV and PS4 both pass 4k fine.

It's interesting that people have issues with different devices. xbox, appletv, ps4 work fine on some setups and not on others......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrava View Post
Comcast is terrible all around. We only use it (TV and internet) because it is included with our HOA maintenance.

Only my wife watches TV. I cut the cord a long time ago.
I can't quite feel your pain because it's not as bad for me but I am stuck with Spectrum AKA The Old Time Warner and I have 400 Mb/s internet speeds but the way I had to fight for my price was insane and I think that ends this month and they know the my apartment complex has an exclusive exclusive deal with them so I can't use the power of them when to cancel although I kind of can because I could get Suddenlink but at a lower speed and the best part about Spectrum Charter is they actually have a gigabit plan and oh BUT they would want me to pay $400 for an upgrade which is why I'm not but if my Internet bill next month Rises to the same price as Internet and television I'm going to raise holy hell I'm going to call all the local news TV and the newspapers if they do not make me a new deal that said I do have that i had yo pretty much spend 2 days with retention to get. AND just to say I want to pay more for the good gigabit they havr but they want to charge me a $400 upgrade fee I don't understand what is wrong with them. Every single company sucks if you live in a condo or an apartment you're just locked Where You Are and that is terrible like there's eight other places here the all offer the same stuff and I cannot believe companies that Comcast or Charter or whoever or still monopolizing instead of trying to actually get money from customers who weren't there before.

Last edited by starrfighter; 03-06-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #3305 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
I had the same problem with a ps4 pro. Had to boot it into safe mode and then choose change resolution(with the ps4 turned off hold the power button for about 10 seconds --until second beep). After it rebooted i was able to get 4k pass-thru working.

I have the problem with my xbox one x, even after a reset. I can't get it to pass any video resolution higher than 1080p. It shows 4k hdr support but goes to blank screen and gives error message if i select 4k resolution.
Ok this solved my issue! Thank you very much for the help! Much appreciated my good sir.
post #3306 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
Thanks for the idea. Tried every combination of 4:2:2 and hdr on/off i could think of. Still no luck passing 4k from the xbox one x.

AppleTV and PS4 both pass 4k fine.

It's interesting that people have issues with different devices. xbox, appletv, ps4 work fine on some setups and not on others......
I had a Klipsch RSB-14 soundbar that would get bricked every time I would turn CEC or ARC on with any TV (tested on Vizio, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic).

I replaced the Soundbar for the same model 3 times, until finally giving up and getting a SK10Y which has zero issues.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the HDMI specification in general (including ARC, CEC, etc...) is not standardized and it is terrible even after all these years.

DisplayPort is 100 times better, but TV manufacturers have no interest in using it.
post #3307 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I can't quite feel your pain because it's not as bad for me but I am stuck with Spectrum AKA The Old Time Warner and I have 400 Mb/s internet speeds but the way I had to fight for my price was insane and I think that ends this month and they know the my apartment complex has an exclusive exclusive deal with them so I can't use the power of them when to cancel although I kind of can because I could get Suddenlink but at a lower speed and the best part about Spectrum Charter is they actually have a gigabit plan and oh BUT they would want me to pay $400 for an upgrade which is why I'm not but if my Internet bill next month Rises to the same price as Internet and television I'm going to raise holy hell I'm going to call all the local news TV and the newspapers if they do not make me a new deal that said I do have that i had yo pretty much spend 2 days with retention to get. AND just to say I want to pay more for the good gigabit they havr but they want to charge me a $400 upgrade fee I don't understand what is wrong with them. Every single company sucks if you live in a condo or an apartment you're just locked Where You Are and that is terrible like there's eight other places here the all offer the same stuff and I cannot believe companies that Comcast or Charter or whoever or still monopolizing instead of trying to actually get money from customers who weren't there before.
The problem is Ajit Pai and the FCC. This stuff doesn’t happen in Europe for example.
post #3308 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The problem is Ajit Pai and the FCC. This stuff doesn’t happen in Europe for example.
Oh I know I'm also actually thinking about moving to Europe anyway last time I was there there's something very special about it. I am a true New Yorker, Seattlite in the last 5 years Austin but I'm not going to say Austinite but I love London I'm not sure what I would be doing there but it crosses my mind frequently but they're going through with the brexit hell so I'm going to wait. All the same, I just the US needs a change pretty quick I think many of us need changes to be made as soon as possible

Or Vancouver

Last edited by starrfighter; 03-06-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #3309 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem is and the FCC. This stuff doesn’t happen in Europe for example.

I'm no fan of Ajit Pai, as he doesn't seem inclined to defend freedom of information, but I don't think ARC problems are unique to the U.S.. If you check out AVforum, which is based in England and Wales, you will see very similar complaints.

Europe is in many ways more advanced than the U.S., but Brexit, which was foisted upon the UK, will continue to make life there more difficult for a long time to come. On the other hand, London has some really great Indian restaurants.
starrfighter likes this.

Last edited by taichi4; 03-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #3310 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I'm no fan of Ajit Pai, as he doesn't seem inclined to defend freedom of information, but I don't think ARC problems are unique to the U.S.. If you check out AVforum, which is based in England and Wales, you will see very similar complaints.

Europe is in many ways more advanced than the U.S., but Brexit, which was foisted upon the UK, will continue to make life there more difficult.
We were talking about ISPs regarding Pai and the FCC.

ARC and CEC problems are inherent of the terrible HDMI standard and like most have said here, you are better off leaving that stuff off and getting a Harmony remote.
post #3311 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
I read that many people have an issue with black screen and audio drop outs with Apple TV on all different types of devices unless they use that 30 dollar Belkin HDMI cable that they sell I the Apple store

I’ve had my Apple TV hooked up to my LG soundbar and a denon receiver before going to the nak. No issues with previous setups and I had the thicker monoprice 4k certified hdmi cable but those didn’t fit with the nak so I got the slimmer monoprice cables instead.
post #3312 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Europe is in many ways more advanced than the U.S., but Brexit, which was foisted upon the UK, will continue to make life there more difficult for a long time to come. On the other hand, London has some really great Indian restaurants.
We are so off topic but that was wit and so you got to like because dot-dot-dot oh actually said... Except not the next time right after okay whatever

post #3313 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think some of you are confusing arc and cec. They are two different things.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3314 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

ARC and CEC problems are inherent of the terrible HDMI standard and like most have said here, you are better off leaving that stuff off and getting a Harmony remote.

Got it. This is such a lively thread, with posts suddenly appearing at breakneck speed, that I missed the post that spurred your response, and assumed that your comments were following the general recent theme of this thread.

Nevertheless, we agree about HDMI, CEC and ARC. What a mess.
post #3315 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
I’ve had my Apple TV hooked up to my LG soundbar and a denon receiver before going to the nak. No issues with previous setups and I had the thicker monoprice 4k certified hdmi cable but those didn’t fit with the nak so I got the slimmer monoprice cables instead.
Wow standard Port doesn't connect I am not surprised but I'm kind of surprised is there anyone else that can confirm this please before I buy any cables?

post #3316 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Got it. This is such a lively thread, with posts suddenly appearing at breakneck speed, that I missed the post that spurred your response, and assumed that your comments were following the general recent theme of this thread.

Nevertheless, we agree about HDMI, CEC and ARC. What a mess.
Before I had a good TV like the LG C8 65 OLED I had no problems with Arc or CEC I also didn't have the Nakamichi sound bar; old surround sound system from 2011 so like this is my upgrade year it should have come sooner but actually I'm glad I waited. so the point is it's like the technology gets better but it seems to work less: is that because we're getting close to a standard or is it because we are not standardized at all that's the question

post #3317 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM

After the FW 3.x, are the rear speakers louder? Currently with my 7.1 setup with FW 2.1, some games and stereo sources using the Xupmix don't add much loudness with rear speakers, even with them turned up to 10. Thanks everyone!
post #3318 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am currently using the Vizio 5.1.2 2018 Dolby Atmos system and do not have any arc/cec issues so I will be happy to report back any issues or non issues I have switching to the Nakamichi 9.2 system that will arrive Friday. I love this Vizio and probably should not be upgrading but if 5.1.2 sounds this good, I really can't imagine what 9.2.4 will sound like? Hope I am not expecting too much but can't wait to see.
post #3319 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I am currently using the Vizio 5.1.2 2018 Dolby Atmos system and do not have any arc/cec issues so I will be happy to report back any issues or non issues I have switching to the Nakamichi 9.2 system that will arrive Friday. I love this Vizio and probably should not be upgrading but if 5.1.2 sounds this good, I really can't imagine what 9.2.4 will sound like? Hope I am not expecting too much but can't wait to see.
It didn't win subset of CES two years in a row with the same exact hardware for no reason and even have the update yet... I only have a 7.2 but I'm going to tell you right now its a little quirky irritating but when you get that all straightened out it rocks.

I will never have one subwoofer again I will never not say what I used to hate which is essentially a DSP not process my sound again unless maybe it's the music situation maybe I'm not even sure I kind of like the object spatial sound onn music too. It has DTS it does it for me right now, so kicks ass, I mean a natural AV system with discrete channels per speaker is a totally different story but you want to go sound bar down this thing will destroy you and also make you very frustrated at first you have to get used to it that's all I can say and I apologize for any typos but I am on 1% battery so do not fear you will have a wonderful devuce if not guess what you get to return it or something is wrong they will replace it but I would recommend do you get it set up as soon as you get it and play with it as much as possible so that you don't get out of return area if it's not for you but when you're getting somethings that won first soundbar and high 90s for value two years in a row at CES you're not doing anything wrong

Get it

Last edited by starrfighter; 03-06-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #3320 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
It didn't we win subset of CES two years in a row with the same exact hardware for no reason and even have the update yet I only have a 7.2 but I'm going to tell you right now what's Corky irritating but when you get that all straightened out it rocks I will never have one subwoofer again I will never not that what I used to hate which is essentially a DSP not process my sound again unless maybe it's the music situation maybe I'm not even sure I kind of like the object spatial sound only has DTS does it for me right now so kicks ass I mean a natural AV system Waze discrete channels is a totally different story but you want to go sound bar down this thing will destroy you and also make you very frustrated you have to get used to it that's all I can say and I apologize for any typos but I am on 1% battery so do not fear you will have a wonderful nothing if not guess what you get to return it or something is wrong they will replace it but I would recommend do you get it set up as soon as you get it and play with it as much as possible so that you don't get out of return area if it's not for you but when you're getting Eddie some things first sound and almost 100 high 90s for volume two years in a row at CES you're not doing anything wrong

Just know there are still some Kinks but when they realized how many Atmos movies are coming out vs DTS X AND they didn't have to change their Hardware at all just the firmware and the few DTS x movies I have they're pretty much holy crap- I knew do not return
Just a little patience, yeeeeaaah.
epicoled likes this.

Last edited by starrfighter; 03-06-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #3321 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I believe ultimately the SSE mode is for different vertical effect strength. I always go with SSE 3 for the best effect. Based on your room size, according to the user manual, small room size setting is recommended. there is a "room size" button on the soundbar remote to change that.
Even though it's odd to have two settings relating to room size, the "Room Size" button controls a different setting in the soundbar, than the SSE buttons (+ and - buttons in the circular shape on either old or new remote). So theoretically if you have a small room, then you need to set both SSE to "SSE-1", and Room Size to "Small".

Last edited by johngettler; 03-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #3322 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
After the FW 3.x, are the rear speakers louder? Currently with my 7.1 setup with FW 2.1, some games and stereo sources using the Xupmix don't add much loudness with rear speakers, even with them turned up to 10. Thanks everyone!
Yes, they improve quite a bit for me after Firmware 31 upgrade.
post #3323 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Micarina:

When you have SSE engaged, do you hear palpable overhead effects?
post #3324 of 5192 Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Honestly I had a harmony remote (one so it was IR which gets annoying) with yamaha receiver and phased it out because cec worked perfectly and I only use a roku no other boxes. Using the roku remote for everything increased the acceptance factor of wife/gf/mothers etc. The biggest problem with harmony remotes is if you do not use them 100% exclusively it fails to realize where it is at. With the smart speakers having support for Roku (Google and now Echo/alexa) it becomes more of a pain with harmony remote. If I say hey google turn the tv on, it turns on but if you then grab the harmony you will not be able to power it off because it still thinks it is off.
post #3325 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Just an FYI if anyone is thinking about getting a refurbished unit it will take over 2 weeks from your order date to arrive at your doorstep.
post #3326 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Just an FYI if anyone is thinking about getting a refurbished unit it will take over 2 weeks from your order date to arrive at your doorstep.
I believe it's based on distance from the distribution center. Since it was coming from NorCal, it didn't take long for me to receive mine in the OC.
post #3327 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Maybe cause I'm in Cleveland,Ohio..

Nakamich says " To ensure best Dolby vision pass-through performances, use soundbar HDMI 2 and 3 inputs (processing prioritize ports)"

I will watch Dolby vision movies thru the Vudu app directly on my LG tv. Since that is directly from the TV to the ARC input in the Nakamichi, I am assuming I won't be able to get the best sound/ picture? Hope I am wrong.
post #3328 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
ok that makes sense. so for instance the user above said his kids complain about heavy bass at night so if he were to select 140 or 110 he would get less bass and the kids could potentially sleep better. i’m fine with my bass and would even like a little more some times so i’ll leave it at 180

That was me. Already set it for 110 but not for that reason. I wanted more low frequency for the center channel.

Cross overs represent the lowest frequency you want from the speakers and everything lower goes to the sub woofers. So setting it for 110 means that nothing lower than 110 is able to come from the sound bar or the rear surrounds. This usually is to prevent distortion because these little what are they 4" or 3.5" woofers can only go so low before they start distorting.

Most "full range" woofers of that size are 100-20000hz though. You need to move more air to go lower which can be achieved with passive radiators typically. There are some I found that do 80hz and up though. I think 110hz is playing it safe for them. I bet they could do 100hz.
post #3329 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This seems like an epic sound bar. Does anyone know if you can get one in Australia?
post #3330 of 5192 Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I haven’t been on in a while. I’ve had an issue with my Apple TV 4K intermittently dropping audio and video on certain apps. Currently my kids are swatching Nick Jr and every few minutes the screen goes black for 1-3 seconds and the audio sometimes cuts out with it. Tried video at 4:2:0 and 4:2:2. Using the Apple recommenced HDMI cables Belkin. Frame rate and match HDR are both on. I’ve not had issues with iTunes movies at all. Nak is the 3.1 official firmware on my 9.2 bar.
Anyone find a fix. I know this was an issue a month or 2 ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page