Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1277Likes

post #3331 of 5076 Old 03-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi just wondering how the atmos update actually sounds on the nakamichi 9.2. Can you tell a difference? How is the elevation effect with atmos content?

I'm thinking of getting the nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS-X version which will be getting the update sometime.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference will be with the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 SSE. It's supposed to be the new model. I'm wondering if it's actually new or if it's just the same model with the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 5076 Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has been really hard to keep track of this thread lately (used to read every post) so I apologize if it has been really about recently.

Any word on the update for the 7.2? End of quarter 1 is approaching.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3333 of 5076 Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
Has been really hard to keep track of this thread lately (used to read every post) so I apologize if it has been really about recently.

Any word on the update for the 7.2? End of quarter 1 is approaching.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Their website now state Q2/April.

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-sse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 5076 Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
I believe it's based on distance from the distribution center. Since it was coming from NorCal, it didn't take long for me to receive mine in the OC.
This made me realize how much I’ve been spoiled by ordering things with Amazon Prime.

Mine took a week to leave the warehouse. Communication of order status was nil until I emailed, and then just a standard response to wait for the shipping notification. It finally left the warehouse Monday, according to UPS, but there haven’t been any other updates since then. Current status is that it’s supposed to arrive next Monday. So, yeah, two weeks for delivery to the Eastern US (Tennessee).

Edit: I got an update that it’s somewhere in Illinois. I hadn’t checked in the last couple hours.

By the way, it also ships signature required, according to the UPS website.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #3335 of 5076 Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So when I shut my TV off the soundbar shuts off for about 3 seconds then turns back on and flashes "arc" even though it's not getting any signal from the TV..... Any suggestions? Very annoying
post #3336 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ugh. The Shockwafe keeps dropping audio streams from my TivoBolt when it fast forwards or when the audio changes during a commercial. I had to switch to PCM output to prevent these issues. It is on the latest firmware. I had these same issues with my RMC-1, but the latest firmware update fixed it. I wouldn't have expected issues like this from a mature product.

Tim
post #3337 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
This made me realize how much I’ve been spoiled by ordering things with Amazon Prime.

Mine took a week to leave the warehouse. Communication of order status was nil until I emailed, and then just a standard response to wait for the shipping notification. It finally left the warehouse Monday, according to UPS, but there haven’t been any other updates since then. Current status is that it’s supposed to arrive next Monday. So, yeah, two weeks for delivery to the Eastern US (Tennessee).

Edit: I got an update that it’s somewhere in Illinois. I hadn’t checked in the last couple hours.

By the way, it also ships signature required, according to the UPS website.
OUCH! Ya, that sucks. I hope UPS is wrong and it gets there sooner. Hell you could've driven out and picked it up by now.
post #3338 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
OUCH! Ya, that sucks. I hope UPS is wrong and it gets there sooner. Hell you could've driven out and picked it up by now.
I got mine around Thanksgiving time. Ordered on Amazon and delivery by UPS. They estimated 9 days to Los Angeles. I don't know where it was shipping from to be honest. But on the day it was supposed to deliver (a Friday) it stopped showing a delivery date. I didn't expect anything over the weekend but on Monday it showed a delivery date that was 2 more weeks away, which would make a total delivery time of almost a month. Box showed up at my doorstep three days later, so about two weeks to deliver.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3339 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinesca View Post
Hi just wondering how the atmos update actually sounds on the nakamichi 9.2. Can you tell a difference? How is the elevation effect with atmos content?

I'm thinking of getting the nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS-X version which will be getting the update sometime.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference will be with the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 SSE. It's supposed to be the new model. I'm wondering if it's actually new or if it's just the same model with the update.
If you can go to 7.2 Elite... no joke. two subs doesnt make it crazy bass police noise call... it just evens it out... soooo much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #3340 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Dual subwoofers improve sound tremendously, and even more so in the case of a soundbar.

Dual subwoofers compensate for standing waves and interference patterns, providing a smooth and full frequency response. Also, typical soundbars with crossovers above 80 hz tend to produce base localization, with the effect that most vocals (as well as part of the musical spectrum) get shared between the sub and the woofer in the soundbar. This can cause the placement of the vocals (and some instruments) to waver between the sources. Dual subs will tend to reduce localization.

Another thing about bass localization is that often you will hear lower frequencies coming from the single sub, rather than being omnidirectional as they should be.

So it's not just about how much bass output you get compared to one sub, but rather better frequency response and greater balance and accuracy in the sound. Definitely go for dual subs.

Perhaps the provision of dual subwoofers in an affordable soundbar is one of the most innovative aspects of the Shockwafe.
starrfighter and epicoled like this.

Last edited by taichi4; 03-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #3341 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Dual subwoofers improve sound tremendously, and even more so in the case of a soundbar.

Dual subwoofers compensate for standing waves and interference patterns, providing a smooth and full frequency response. Also, typical soundbars with crossovers above 80 hz tend to produce base localization, with the effect that most vocals (as well as part of the musical spectrum) get shared between the sub and the woofer in the soundbar. This can cause the placement of the vocals (and some instruments) to waver between the sources. Dual subs will tend to reduce localization.

Another thing about bass localization is that often you will hear lower frequencies coming from the single sub, rather than being omnidirectional as they should be.

So it's not just about how much bass output you get compared to one sub, but rather better frequency response and greater balance and accuracy in the sound. Definitely go for dual subs.

Perhaps the provision of dual subwoofers in an affordable soundbar is one of the most innovative aspects of the Shockwafe.
What they said.

(Thank you for doing the explaining backup. I wasnt in the mood at all to do that today)

post #3342 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
When pressing the Pure Direct button on the remote do you guys leave it on Neutral or Dolby Surround?
post #3343 of 5076 Old 03-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I know this is kinda random but I want to share just in case any of you guys are having the same problem that I had.

I've been having trouble with my internet since I got the Nakamichi soundbar (had no clue it was the soundbar). Thought it was 75/75 speed and upgraded to fios gigabit. So my speed was still awful and they came out here about five times to fix it. So I turned off the soundbar at night and realized my speed went up... so I turn the sound bar back on and my speed went back down tremendously. So I turned it off and on a few times and watched my speed go up andnd down. When off it went to where it should be. So now my router is 20 feet from the soundbar and it's better thank goodness.

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this would happen, but figured I would share in case anybody's having problems with their internet and the router is close to your soundbar. Still love my 7.2 no matter what have a great weekend all. Set them clocks forward
post #3344 of 5076 Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan78 View Post
I know this is kinda random but I want to share just in case any of you guys are having the same problem that I had.

I've been having trouble with my internet since I got the Nakamichi soundbar (had no clue it was the soundbar). Thought it was 75/75 speed and upgraded to fios gigabit. So my speed was still awful and they came out here about five times to fix it. So I turned off the soundbar at night and realized my speed went up... so I turn the sound bar back on and my speed went back down tremendously. So I turned it off and on a few times and watched my speed go up andnd down. When off it went to where it should be. So now my router is 20 feet from the soundbar and it's better thank goodness.

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this would happen, but figured I would share in case anybody's having problems with their internet and the router is close to your soundbar. Still love my 7.2 no matter what have a great weekend all. Set them clocks forward

2. Router interference (2% probability)

Our soundbars utilize industry standard 5.8Ghz wireless chipsets to send data wirelessly to the subwoofers. Why is the industry standard 5.8GHz? It is to avoid interference with 5-GHz Wi-Fi home routers, of which 99% of them operate on 5-GHz frequencies that are around the middle of the 5-GHz frequency spectrum. However, there is still a small risk of interference.

Go to this link and read the suggested frequencies for your router, made a difference on my 9.2:

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...dio-distortion
post #3345 of 5076 Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had the same problem with the Polk soundbar that I’m replacing with the Nakamichi. Using the Polk soundbar crashed the 5GHz band. Changed the router setting for the 5GHz to channel 36 which was the least congested and lowest one on my router. No more problems.

post #3346 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrady View Post
Ugh. The Shockwafe keeps dropping audio streams from my TivoBolt when it fast forwards or when the audio changes during a commercial. I had to switch to PCM output to prevent these issues. It is on the latest firmware. I had these same issues with my RMC-1, but the latest firmware update fixed it. I wouldn't have expected issues like this from a mature product.

Tim
DirecTV does the same thing. This issue is super irritating. Nakamichi has reccomend that we should hook cable/satellite provider box to TV and send audio to soundbar via ARC. This idea is bad because the it introduces lip sync issues. Also DirecTV can now do Atmos which should go to soundbar inputs. They need to resolve this issue.
post #3347 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this would happen, but figured I would share in case anybody's having problems with their internet and the router is close to your soundbar. Still love my 7.2 no matter what [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] have a great weekend all. Set them clocks forward
I had the same problem with the Polk soundbar that I’m replacing with the Nakamichi. Using the Polk soundbar crashed the 5GHz band. Changed the router setting for the 5GHz to channel 36 which was the least congested and lowest one on my router. No more problems.
It's pretty rare to see this issue but there are articles on the Nakamichi support site stating to change your wireless router band to alleviate interference. I would have thought you would seen audio cut out vs network speed degregation.
post #3348 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I am surprised tbe low end is the least congested, its usually default. Do you live in a busy area or apartment complex or does your area have room to breathe on frequency bands?

My co.plex is like 200 apartments and the bands are way less congested on the higher bands but I changed them for my 7.2 just in case.

I juat wonder where the 2% problem they say wifi interference comes from? A lot of routers default in the lower bands without manual intervention, is the 2% because of that-- meaning would that percent go higher in a significant way if router deaultes to high bands? OR, is it a rare 2% issue in general? Or is it just based on number of tickets resolved aand has nothing to so with hard data?

Can you tell data analysis is one of the things I do? A total curiosity question that will probably have no answer.

Another one... if they are using a weird wi-fi or bluetooth.... ummm I will just call it a prprietary transmission signal..

that can interrupt normal signals, why is wifi not built in?

Not being critical... just a curiosity post. Why try to live in between the bands, when can embrace them or avoid them?

Thought of day...

Really please just give me 7.2 firmware...

taichi4 likes this.

post #3349 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Despite the prevailing wisdom, there's some evidence that 5.8 GHz and 5 GHz can interfere with each other. So my question is whether any part of the system is near a wireless phone, or other transmitting electronics, or possibly next to a metal structure of some sort?
dfkimbro likes this.
post #3350 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
I am surprised tbe low end is the least congested, its usually default. Do you live in a busy area or apartment complex or does your area have room to breathe on frequency bands?
For some routers, “default” is an automatic setting which may or may not pick the least congested channel. Even though I live in the suburbs, I can usually see a couple dozen networks. With a WiFi analyzer I can see which ones are on which channels.

Quote:
I juat wonder where the 2% problem they say wifi interference comes from? A lot of routers default in the lower bands without manual intervention, is the 2% because of that-- meaning would that percent go higher in a significant way if router deaultes to high bands? OR, is it a rare 2% issue in general? Or is it just based on number of tickets resolved aand has nothing to so with hard data?
Likely “engineering judgment”, which is a term that’s often misused when someone doesn’t want to say they’re making a somewhat educated guess.

Quote:
Another one... if they are using a weird wi-fi or bluetooth.... ummm I will just call it a prprietary transmission signal..

that can interrupt normal signals, why is wifi not built in?

Not being critical... just a curiosity post. Why try to live in between the bands, when can embrace them or avoid them?
According to Nakamichi, their soundbar uses 5.725-5.875 GHz, which they say is an industry standard for soundbars with wireless peripheral speakers. That range overlaps with what’s referred to as “5GHz” WiFi channels 149 (5.745 GHZ) to 169 (5.825 GHz). I’m not positive, but I think those bands are somewhat unregulated for use by various consumer devices.

Sorry if this got too far off topic.
starrfighter and Micarina like this.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-11-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3351 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Despite the prevailing wisdom, there's some evidence that 5.8 GHz and 5 GHz can interfere with each other. So my question is whether any part of the system is near a wireless phone, or other transmitting electronics, or possibly next to a metal structure of some sort?
I don’t think there were any transmitting electronics in the room (other than phones/tablets) or in the AV cabinet that weren’t connected over ethernet, and the wireless access point is in a different part of the house. It was pretty obviously frequency/channel interference, especially when my Wi-Fi became usable again at full 150 Mbps speeds after changing the channel to the lower one. And when I say the Wi-Fi was in usable, I mean that the latency was so bad and the speed was so low that sometimes I couldn’t even complete a speed test on 5GHz.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #3352 of 5076 Old 03-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
So when I shut my TV off the soundbar shuts off for about 3 seconds then turns back on and flashes "arc" even though it's not getting any signal from the TV..... Any suggestions? Very annoying
This is a CEC issue, you can use optical instead of HDMI. Or wait for their upcoming firmware (7.2 and below models) to disable CEC.
post #3353 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 AM

Set up my 9.2 system and played with it this weekend. Watched Saving Private Ryan and its a whole new experience with this! Lots of positives!
there are a few negatives but One thing that is driving me nuts is when changing channels with Directv the volume just goes out. Will write up a little review later
post #3354 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,

What are going to be the hardware changes between the current (“old”) 9.2/7.2 and the upcoming 9.2/7.2 SSE soundbars?
Thanks!

75X900F / SHOCKWAFE 9.2 / Apple TV 4K / One X / PS4 Pro
post #3355 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarques View Post
Hi,

What are going to be the hardware changes between the current (“old”) 9.2/7.2 and the upcoming 9.2/7.2 SSE soundbars?
Thanks!
No hardware changes at all. The only difference is the new SSE models are priced higher so that Nakamichi can recover their R&D and licensing costs associated with the Dolby Vision/Atmos firmware development.
tmarques likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #3356 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
No hardware changes at all. The only difference is the new SSE models are priced higher so that Nakamichi can recover their R&D and licensing costs associated with the Dolby Vision/Atmos firmware development.
So getting a 7.2 bar today is the way to go then.
Thank you!

75X900F / SHOCKWAFE 9.2 / Apple TV 4K / One X / PS4 Pro
post #3357 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarques View Post
So getting a 7.2 bar today is the way to go then.

Thank you!
Upcoming model comes with new remote. That is only different thing.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3358 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
For some routers, “default” is an automatic setting which may or may not pick the least congested channel. Even though I live in the suburbs, I can usually see a couple dozen networks. With a WiFi analyzer I can see which ones are on which channels.

Likely “engineering judgment”, which is a term that’s often misused when someone doesn’t want to say they’re making a somewhat educated guess.

According to Nakamichi, their soundbar uses 5.725-5.875 GHz, which they say is an insudtry standard for soundbars with wireless peripheral speakers. That range overlaps with what’s referred to as “5GHz” WiFi channels 149 (5.745 GHZ) to 169 (5.825 GHz). I’m not positive, but I think those bands are somewhat unregulated for use by various consumer devices.

Sorry if this got too far off topic.
No it's not off topic for me I really appreciate the answers which I realized I actually knew most stuff but I don't know I had a curiosity moment sorry to anyone else if this was to off topic but I appreciate your answers very much thank you

post #3359 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
Upcoming model comes with new remote. That is only different thing.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Which you can buy for thirty bucks on Amazon it already I have it sitting here just waiting for the firmware

post #3360 of 5076 Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Finally arrived!!!!! Review of refurbished 9.2 after a weekends use. The box arrived after ordering the system over 2 weeks ago from ebay. The appearance of the box wasn’t the best, but most importantly everything looked perfect when opening it up. The wires were clearly used as expected but the speakers themselves look brand new so I was very happy with that! I set the speakers up and popped in Saving Private Ryan and I was absolutely blown away! When this system is working properly there just can’t be a better sounding system! I am coming from the Dolby Atmos Vizio 5.1.2 which was great, but this destroys it when working properly. I really cant imagine another system sounding better!
That being said there are a few things that are driving me crazy. I am using an 18gps HDMI certified cable and connect my directv right to the soundbar but directv has audio dropouts. Sometimes you change the channel and the volume just does not work. I have to change the input source on the soundbar and then change it back to get it working again.
I have turned off all CEC features on all devices so I was able to get everything to turn on using my Logitech elite remote. If using the logitech remote, change the power on delay settings on the Logitech software to 6 seconds for this Nakamichi device. This helped everything turn on smoothly for me.
I am also having a frustrating time getting the Nakamichi to power off. Again, I am using the Logitech elite remote so when I hit the power button everything powers off except the Nakamichi at least 50% of the time.
The Nakamichi remote is an absolute joke because you have to be 2 feet in front of the system for it to work properly. A Logitech remote is a must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page