Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1206Likes

post #3481 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrsvet View Post
Should the rear speakers on new 7.1 system be placed vertical or horizontal on bookshelf about 6' behind the listeners?
I also have a similar question. On the 9.2 system, should I lay the rear speakers on their backs (horizontally) pointing to the ceiling or have them sitting vertically pointing to the back of my head? (The side speakers will be sitting vertically on pedestals directly left and right from my ears).

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 9
According to the Nakamichi YouTube channel, the 7.2 system will be updated during April.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3483 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAND-DUMB-THOUGHTS View Post
Greetings...brand new here. Nak just uploaded a youtube vid 'setting up your 2019 9.2.4' so they must be close to selling those now???

https://youtu.be/crlIDpSPbDY

lets see if i can post a link correctly lol
If you watch the unboxing video, it shows at the 1:06 mark that the new 2019 SSE boxed version has a Dolby Atmos Demo disc included, which the 2017/2018 DTSX owner didn't get. The disc cover appears to also have the Nakamichi logo on it. A search on ebay shows these (or similar) are going for about $59 is any DTSX owner want to get one. The "Sept 2016" version appears to be the newest version of this disc put our by Dolby Labs. Beside the obvious Dolby Atmos content, music, movie, tv and audio only clips, there are test tones provided for 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6. It would be interesting to hear about the 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6 test tones come through the 9.2 SSE 3.1 firmware using the various DSP modes like Native, Dolby Upmix and Dolby Surround.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolby-Atmos...YAAOSwsDZb5dRk

Last edited by johngettler; 03-21-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngettler View Post
It would be interesting to hear the 7.1.4 test tones come through the 9.2 SSE 3.1
The Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 test tones are available on Dolby’s website.
https://download.dolby.com/us/en/tes...ones_7_1_4.mp4

The Dolby Atmos trailers are available to download at no cost on Dolby’s website.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-trailers.html

Have FuN

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #3485 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My TV does not support Dolby Atmos so if I plug the USB into the TV I will not be able to listen in Dolby Atmos. Is it possible to play these Dolby Atmos clips by plugging the USB directly into the nakamichi?
post #3486 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
My TV does not support Dolby Atmos so if I plug the USB into the TV I will not be able to listen in Dolby Atmos. Is it possible to play these Dolby Atmos clips by plugging the USB directly into the nakamichi?
no, usb is for firmware updates only. Sorry I do not have any suggestions for you.
post #3487 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngettler View Post
If you watch the unboxing video at the 25 second mark, it shows the new 2019 SSE boxed version has a Dolby Atmos Demo disc included, which the 2017/2018 DTSX owner didn't get. The disc cover appears to also have the Nakamichi logo on it. A search on ebay shows these (or similar) are going for about $59 is any DTSX owner want to get one. The "Sept 2016" version appears to be the newest version of this disc put our by Dolby Labs. Beside the obvious Dolby Atmos content, music, movie, tv and audio only clips, there are test tones provided for 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6. It would be interesting to hear about the 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6 test tones come through the 9.2 SSE 3.1 firmware using the various DSP modes like Native, Dolby Upmix and Dolby Surround.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolby-Atmos...YAAOSwsDZb5dRk
Huh...the 9.2 refurb I got a week or so ago included the disk, still in shrink wrap. It’s Nakamichi-branded and is dated August 2018. Same logo/image on the front as the one on eBay, but it’s in a cardboard pouch instead of a blu-ray box. I don’t have an Atmos disk player, so I haven’t listened to it yet. I thought I might rip the disk and play it via Plex or Kodi on my Shield later on when I have a chance.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?

Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-20-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #3488 of 4641 Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
The Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 test tones are available on Dolby’s website.

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/tes...ones_7_1_4.mp4

The Dolby Atmos trailers are available to download at no cost on Dolby’s website.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-trailers.html

Have FuN

But I think most of the Atmos demos are not playable from Xbox one s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3489 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[quote=johngettler;57777314]If you watch the unboxing video at the 25 second mark, it shows the new 2019 SSE boxed version has a Dolby Atmos Demo disc included, which the 2017/2018 DTSX owner didn't get. The disc cover appears to also have the Nakamichi logo on it. A search on ebay shows these (or similar) are going for about $59 is any DTSX owner want to get one. The "Sept 2016" version appears to be the newest version of this disc put our by Dolby Labs. Beside the obvious Dolby Atmos content, music, movie, tv and audio only clips, there are test tones provided for 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6. It would be interesting to hear about the 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6 test tones come through the 9.2 SSE 3.1 firmware using the various DSP modes like Native, Dolby Upmix and Dolby Surround.

The disk you get from Nak does not include all of the items from a disk I found on google. So this is not the $59 disk on ebay with tones and such.

I can't post pics until i have 5 posts ... lol. No test tones on the Nak disk just 7 items.
The Nak disk has: Nature's Fury, Amaze, Rainstorm on/off, 747 takeoff, Leaf, Santeria on/off and Helicopter.

Also nice to meet another member from MN.

Can't post a link now...funny it worked for the youtube vid ?

Just search google for > Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Aug 2018)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolbydisk.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2542118   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolbydisk2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	2542120   Click image for larger version

Name:	demo disc 2018 copy.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2542122  
johngettler likes this.
post #3490 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 AM

Dang... said I couldn't post pics. than it posts them anyway but i messed up the quote. can't figure out how to edit it....oh well.
johngettler likes this.
post #3491 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any news about eARC support? Is it coming?

eARC is a part of coming HDMI 2.1 but eARC portion can be added now to some HDMI 2.0b based devices via a firmware update, provided manufacturers have made this part of the equipment design.

Quote:
In short, with eARC: 1) the audio bit rate goes all the way up to 38 Mbps compared to 1 Mbps for ARC; 2) the discovery mechanism in the eARC connection uses a 2-pin signal that is much more robust and reliable so that it works every time among different brands of products; and 3) it has required lip-synch built-in so pictures always match to sound, even when shipped over multiple components.

What’s more, manufacturers will no longer have to make the AV receiver or the sound bar the control hub in the system, unless desired, and those audio devices will no longer be required to handle video signals, which has created road blocks in the past when new formats like high dynamic range (HDR) video profiles were introduced. Further, eARC will allow the same high quality signals to be sent both downstream and upstream between the television and audio component, unlike today’s narrow band ARC.
post #3492 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Also nice to meet another member from MN.
Rolling deep with MN folks in here.

Anyway, just got my 7.2 the other day. Set up was pretty easy, but still unsure if I am sold on the system. Its clean, it sounds nice and its simple, but the dual subs don't give me that punch I was hoping for. Maybe I just need to tweak some settings a bit more or change inputs. Currently have only tried it with streaming from Chromecast and Firestick.
RAND-DUMB-THOUGHTS likes this.
post #3493 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Having a very bad experience with the Shockwafe Ultra 9.2

Been trying for 4 days to get this system to work and I have tried every combination the sound just will not go thru the arc HDMI and I really do not have time for any device that needs to be reconfigured everytime I use it and the sound well I never got that far. I have a samsung Series 8 65 inch TV and it should work but does not. I do not know what else to try. I even had my 23 year old son who works in IT try to set it up and we both are looking at each other saying WTF. Really it is just a sound bar and not the space shuttle. I may give their tech support a try tomorrow but I am thinking this is going back no mater what it costs to ship back.
post #3494 of 4641 Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
Any news about eARC support? Is it coming?

eARC is a part of coming HDMI 2.1 but eARC portion can be added now to some HDMI 2.0b based devices via a firmware update, provided manufacturers have made this part of the equipment design.
I have this response from Nak in regard to eArc. I asked if it was coming out soon. Their reply was:

nakamichi-usa:

eARC is a good feature but we won't be supporting it until our next generation which will come out 2021 the earliest.
nota bene likes this.
post #3495 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I have this response from Nak in regard to eArc. I asked if it was coming out soon. Their reply was:

nakamichi-usa:

eARC is a good feature but we won't be supporting it until our next generation which will come out 2021 the earliest.
We have to be happy with lossy DD+ version of ATMOS then as we can have only lossy DD+ version of ATMOS via ARC rather than lossless TrueHD Atmos via eARC (and also DTS-HD MA).

It's a pity Nakamichi didn't hold eARC in mind designing Shockwafe as many manufacturers added eARC support with a firmware update to its HDMI 2.0b based devices.
_https://hdguru.com/firmware-updates-for-earc-begin-to-arrive/
RAND-DUMB-THOUGHTS likes this.
post #3496 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 02:52 AM

That sounds nice and I am glad you are enthusiastic about eArc. Their is no way my 4k DVDs with Dolby Atmos can sound better than they do right now. Every DVD I watch, its as if it's the first time I'm watching as I am noticing sounds and detail I never knew exhisted. My son was playing fortnight on ps4 and I enjoyed listening to the sounds of the game. You can hear the shots behind you and whether they are to the right or left of you. It really is amazing!
atfree likes this.
post #3497 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBE-Tony View Post
Been trying for 4 days to get this system to work and I have tried every combination the sound just will not go thru the arc HDMI and I really do not have time for any device that needs to be reconfigured everytime I use it and the sound well I never got that far. I have a samsung Series 8 65 inch TV and it should work but does not. I do not know what else to try. I even had my 23 year old son who works in IT try to set it up and we both are looking at each other saying WTF. Really it is just a sound bar and not the space shuttle. I may give their tech support a try tomorrow but I am thinking this is going back no mater what it costs to ship back.

Unfortunately hdmi arc will work for some and not others. Even with the same display and sound system it is very inconsistent.
You can try to reset hdmi laid out on the Nakamichi website if you have not tried yet.
post #3498 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Did anyone try to place rear speakers under ceiling? Or even rear and side speakers? Will it break the sound algorithm or may work fine?

All 6 recommended placement schemes are meant to place speakers in the same plane with viewers head. But maybe someone tried and it worked? :-)

Nakamichi recommended setups:
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-sse

If ceiling variant is totally unworkable then what about little Dipole 2 variant adjustment like on the attached photo.

Is it ok? I worry about losing side speakers sound as they shoot away from a sofa in a TV direction.

Thank you for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nakamichi.png
Views:	50
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	2542732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dipole2.png
Views:	38
Size:	1,011.7 KB
ID:	2542734  
post #3499 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
We have to be happy with lossy DD+ version of ATMOS then as we can have only lossy DD+ version of ATMOS via ARC rather than lossless TrueHD Atmos via eARC (and also DTS-HD MA).

It's a pity Nakamichi didn't hold eARC in mind designing Shockwafe as many manufacturers added eARC support with a firmware update to its HDMI 2.0b based devices.
_https://hdguru.com/firmware-updates-for-earc-begin-to-arrive/
I believe the 2018 DTS:X units are HDMI 2.0a not 2.0b, and the 2019 units are supposed to be the same specs with better capacitors. In that event, it doesn’t seem like it could be upgraded to eARC via firmware. Happy to be corrected if someone has a link to specs showing HDMI 2.0b.

EDIT: found it...specs toward the end of the page...https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockw...92-dolby-atmos

HDMI VERSION HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2

Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-22-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #3500 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 07:23 AM

My rear speakers are mounted in the back corners of my living room, under the ceiling, and pointed down to ear level. Sounds amazing!
nota bene likes this.
post #3501 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you’re having a bad time of it. As previously mentioned HDMI ARC can be hit or miss, and may require changing multiple settings on the TV.

Did you ensure that ARC is enabled in the TV settings? Those settings can be buried deep in the menus, and may be in multiple submenus in different places. You may have to disable the TVs internal speakers or enable external speakers, too, which can be in yet another submenu. Skim the manual for any settings related to ARC or CEC (or whatever Samsung’s proprietary term is). Also, check Nakamichi’s help desk for Samsung TV settings https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...msung-hdmi-cec.

The problem could be the encoding for the audio you’re trying to send (DolbyDigilal, Dolby Digital Plus, etc.). Even some newer TVs are very limited in what signals they will passthrough over ARC. This can also be dependent on the source of the signal (native TV signal or streaming app, blu-Ray player, Roku, etc.). Check if your TV is listed here https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough to determine what signals it can send over ARC. The TV manual or specs may also be useful to determine passthrough capability.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? That’s often the cause of connection problems. Try a brand new certified high speed cable. It does not need to be an expensive one with gold plated connectors. This one from Monoprice should be just fine https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cer...Z9TRM1KHQSE2P2.

It’s also possible that the HDMI port on the TV or soundbar is broken. Those ports are fragile and can be easily damaged, especially if the cable has been plugged in and out a number of times, or if the weight of the cable stresses the port. If you connect a known working source device (Like a DVD player) to the soundbar and connect the soundbar ARC output to the TVs HDMI ARC input, do you get video to the TV? How about if you connect to a different HDMI input on the TV? Do you have another TV where you can check the soundbars ARC port?

If none of that works, email Nakamichi tech support. Ray is very responsive and helpful. Be sure to tell them the specific model number of the TV (not just that it’s series 8), how the TV settings are configured, what devices are connected to which ports on the TV and soundbar, and what troubleshooting steps you’ve performed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-22-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #3502 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
To get ARC, you have to enable Anynet+ on your Samsung TV.
post #3503 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Amazing that a soundbar this expensive doesnt have ARC
post #3504 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
It has ARC not eARC unless that is what you mean?
post #3505 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
It has ARC not eARC unless that is what you mean?
Yes, typo
post #3506 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 02:04 PM

Still not working... I have been emailed a “special firmware” but issues continue.

Setup components = LG OLED, Apple 4K, Xbox One X, Xfinity 4K box.

When all above are connected to LG OLED HDMI ports I get Dolby Vision on LG OLED. On Naka 9.2.4 only Dolby Surround vía ARC.

If I use Naka Passthrough 4K and my super HDMI cables 48Gps (and certified HDMI 4K cables as well) from above devices to Naka, then ARC to LG OLED, I get Dolby ATMOS sound, but flickering video or black screen.

Apple is so cool, they even have a built in app that checks your video/cables and it reports that Naka is not sending Dolby Vision through to TV.

I am at my wits end with being a beta tester spending countless hours reading this forum, unplugging power to all my devices and resetting Naka. I paid over $1000 to not have it work.

Background, I had an LG soundbar that played Dolby ATMOS directly from ARC on LG OLED (which had all devices directly connected to LG OLED HDMI ports, but didn’t have the nice bass and power that the Naka 9.2.4 has.

I love the Naka sound, but without Dolby Vision or even 4K video, it is a paper weight!

The benefit of LG soundbar was it was plug and play, it worked out of box, no “resets” like Naka.

If Naka had done their homework, there wouldn’t be 351 pages to date on this forum.

How do we get a refund?

Also, the display on the Naka is almost unreadable with the metal mesh that covers the screen, they should have removed.

If anyone has a similar setup to above, and it works, please let me know.
post #3507 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Did you turn off cec and eco on the nakamichi?
post #3508 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
Did you turn off cec and eco on the nakamichi?
Been there tried that!
post #3509 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? It has ARC.

post #3510 of 4641 Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, typo
If you mean eARC, which soundbar has eARC then?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page