Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1207Likes

post #3511 of 4652 Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
If you mean eARC, which soundbar has eARC then?

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Sony HT ST5000 and Z9F have eArc
nota bene likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 4652 Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
Sony HT ST5000 and Z9F have eArc
Thats only soundbar that have eARC right?
And most of tv doesnt have eARC unless it is 2019 model. Why do you need eARC? if your soundbar has eARC, your tv doesnt have eARC then it is useless.

post #3513 of 4652 Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Went ahead and brought this bar it's coming in monday.Just wonder what settings should i put it on for dts-x and regular dolby digital.Been reading the fourms and everything sounds confusuing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3514 of 4652 Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having a very bad experience with the Shockwafe Ultra 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBE-Tony View Post
Been trying for 4 days to get this system to work and I have tried every combination the sound just will not go thru the arc HDMI and I really do not have time for any device that needs to be reconfigured everytime I use it and the sound well I never got that far. I have a samsung Series 8 65 inch TV and it should work but does not. I do not know what else to try. I even had my 23 year old son who works in IT try to set it up and we both are looking at each other saying WTF. Really it is just a sound bar and not the space shuttle. I may give their tech support a try tomorrow but I am thinking this is going back no mater what it costs to ship back.
Well I did not get the HDMI Arc working and I tried several different cables and the like but I ended up hooking up a good quality optical cable to the TV and it seems the sound bar and sub wofs work but the 4 sates do not seem to be outputing anything except mumbles. I hooked up a 4k blu ray to the Ultra 9.2 sound bar and put in the NAK demo disk and that sounds fantastic I never expected that it was like the dolby in the movie theaters. So Is the optical a good alt or am I missing out on something. Will the HDMI Arc setup give us better sound and all sat speakers use? I really am impressed I cant wait to watch a 4k movie when the wife is not around!
post #3515 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Well I did not get the HDMI Arc working and I tried several different cables and the like but I ended up hooking up a good quality optical cable to the TV and it seems the sound bar and sub wofs work but the 4 sates do not seem to be outputing anything except mumbles. I hooked up a 4k blu ray to the Ultra 9.2 sound bar and put in the NAK demo disk and that sounds fantastic I never expected that it was like the dolby in the movie theaters. So Is the optical a good alt or am I missing out on something. Will the HDMI Arc setup give us better sound and all sat speakers use? I really am impressed I cant wait to watch a 4k movie when the wife is not around!
So if the 4k player sounds great going directly to the bar something is wrong with your tv settings. Make sure under the sound options (expert settings tab) you set it to input and output Bitstream., I believe you said Samsung 8000 correct? I have an 82MU8000 and it sounds fantastic through HDMI ARC to the Nak 9.2; all speakers work perfectly.Take a pic of your settings tab on the TV and post it and maybe we can help. Its a fantastic system once set up properly.
post #3516 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Did you update your firmware to 3.1?

After the firmware update to 3.1 you will be able to connect the device directly to the soundbar for the best Dolby Atmos experience.

You can get firmware here: https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade
post #3517 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
Did you update your firmware to 3.1?

After the firmware update to 3.1 you will be able to connect the device directly to the soundbar for the best Dolby Atmos experience.

You can get firmware here: https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Ultra with 3.1 firmware update.

Peripherals: DirecTV Genie with 4K / Dolby ATMOS, XBOX 1 X, PS4 Pro, LG 65OLED C7P

My findings are as follows:

Center channel dialog sounds "small speaker". Not full and rich enough. I think there is room for improvement there.
Overall atmosphere of SSE/ATMOS/DTS:X sounds great! The dolby ATMOS demo disk shook the house and scared my daughter who thought at 747 almost hit our house. This system loves to be loud.
Subwoofers need a few settings lower. Watching movies at night is a pain with getting text from sleeping family to please turn it down. Unfortunately the subwoofers are as low as they go.

Wish it had wifi or a network port and a app developed to adjust settings with a smart device.

Wish it had on screen display.

You are told to connect DirecTV or other sat boxes directly to your TV and then send sound from TV to soundbar via HDMI/ARC
When doing this you get lip sync problems that can not be corrected. The lip sync adjust on the remote only works, according to the manual, with optical and coaxial connection. NOT with HDMI/ARC. Thus you can't fix it and I tried anyways.
To resolve lip sync issues you must connect DTV directly to the soundbar. But this introduces other issues.

*Update- Forthcoming firmware will address the following:
((1) It will not negotiate or pass along confirmation of 4K so when going to a 4K channel it claims the TV does not support 4K. You must go into DTV settings and re-check the box for 4K under TV Resolutions. EACH TIME. Takes about 30 seconds but annoying. 2) When rewinding or fast forwarding DVR content the sound will sometimes, more often than you think, drop off. You must switch HDMI ports from current selection to a different one and then back again to get the sound to return. Nothing else I tried works.)

HDMI/ARC from TV to soundbar will does not support ATMOS. So if you have any content with ATMOS coming from the TV side of things to the soundbar will not work. This also can be found when using any WebOS app on the TV such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, or Plex.(these are the ones I tested). Thus when you select a movie that has ATMOS on the Netflix app, for example, the app does not see ATMOS and turns it off. I tested this by going with internal speaker which supports ATMOS (my tv has atmos on its own) and the content played fine in ATMOS as well as had the badge on the movie information screen. However going back to HDMI/ARC the badge disappeared. I am not talking about the pop-up badge on the TV, I am speaking of the badge on the movie selection on Netflix that tells you what the movie had. Eg, Vision, ATMOS, etc. This is due to eARC not supported by the soundbar so compressed ATMOS is not allowed. The ARC/HDMI port only allows something like 1Gbps allocated to sound where the rest is for 4K video. So the limitation is in the physical port not the cable. Upgrading to a higher bandwidth cable for ARC communications will not solve the issue. This is a bummer since I believe the future is all about smart TV's and you should be able to play ATMOS supported content using the apps on the TV. My LG for example even has a Dolby ATMOS demo app which is useless with this soundbar.
nota bene likes this.

Last edited by mpfjr; 03-25-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #3518 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Tv to HDMI arc will not support Atmos. That’s why you see Atmos using apps through the tv internal speakers and not through the sound bar. HDMI eARC is needed for both tv and sound bar and we are probably a year or two away with that happening. From my understanding it can be a firmware update but I wouldn’t count on it being sent to early year devices.
Directv has had lip sync issues for a long time to different AVR’s so I wouldn’t be too quick to blame Nakamichi.
post #3519 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
Tv to HDMI arc will not support Atmos. That’s why you see Atmos using apps through the tv internal speakers and not through the sound bar. HDMI eARC is needed for both tv and sound bar and we are probably a year or two away with that happening. From my understanding it can be a firmware update but I wouldn’t count on it being sent to early year devices.
Directv has had lip sync issues for a long time to different AVR’s so I wouldn’t be too quick to blame Nakamichi.

So the soundbar doesn't support atmos using LG apps like netflix etc.... That's very strange the sk10y does it no problem so don't understand why nakamichi couldn't do it. Yea it's dd+ lossy atmos but still atmos just lower bitrate. Earc iss the get the full bitrate.
post #3520 of 4652 Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
So the soundbar doesn't support atmos using LG apps like netflix etc.... That's very strange the sk10y does it no problem so don't understand why nakamichi couldn't do it. Yea it's dd+ lossy atmos but still atmos just lower bitrate. Earc iss the get the full bitrate.
I think its a real low rate like 1mbps vs 18 so nak probably does not want to give such a bad experience (https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/best-dolby-atmos)
post #3521 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I think its a real low rate like 1mbps vs 18/25 so nak probably does not want to give such a bad experience (https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/best-dolby-atmos)
post #3522 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Spoke w Naka about the 7.2 update and looks like they are set to send out beta to users in mid April so hopefully 3 more weeks
post #3523 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:

This is a Nakamichi thread so I fully understand people need to defend their purchase. However as other's have mentioned, other ATMOS sound bars have no problem supporting ATMOS from the TV Apps. My AVR doesn't have any problems doing so either. So whatever method LG uses and Yamaha uses they seem to play nice together. So if eARC is needed and Nakamichi doesn't support it but I guess everyone else does, who should be blame there? Someone posted right after you saying their ATMOS sound bar has no problem with this.

DirecTV lip sync issues are non existent when going direct to the soundbar. Just as they are when going direct to the AVR. The issue is they fail to negotiate 4K on 4K TV when going through the sound bar and fast forward/ rewind on DVR mute sound. Both of which should be firmware upgradeable and fix that concern.

Last edited by mpfjr; 03-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #3524 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Van Boven View Post
I think its a real low rate like 1mbps vs 18/25 so nak probably does not want to give such a bad experience (https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/best-dolby-atmos)

Which is better, having low bandwidth compressed ATMOS from the TV app or not having it at all? My budget Yamaha AVR that I got for $325 refurbished on amazon has no problem negotiating atmos with the TV apps like Netflix and giving me a great experience when using the Dolby demo app that is in the TV menu.

These days cables are 48Gbps nstead of 18 so there is plenty of bandwidth in the cables. I think I just paid $30.00 for a new cable. Will arrive today from Amazon with one day shipping free. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N83B9X

Last edited by mpfjr; 03-24-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #3525 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:

It is strange. Most people when given the option to press the Netflix button on their smart TV and select a movie will do that over booting up their xbox and navigating to the netflix app. I did this for over a year when I had my Yamaha AVR set up and never noticed a difference in quality even if it is compressed. I think people want to claim that they are getting full bandwidth atmos just like they insist on .flac quality music rips instead of 128 .mp3 because they can "totally hear the difference" when tests have been done and most people can NOT hear the difference.
atfree and RAND-DUMB-THOUGHTS like this.
post #3526 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfjr View Post
It is strange. Most people when given the option to press the Netflix button on their smart TV and select a movie will do that over booting up their xbox and navigating to the netflix app. I did this for over a year when I had my Yamaha AVR set up and never noticed a difference in quality even if it is compressed. I think people want to claim that they are getting full bandwidth atmos just like they insist on .flac quality music rips instead of 128 .mp3 because they can "totally hear the difference" when tests have been done and most people can NOT hear the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78
I can get atmos over dd plus from my Samsung q8fn's built in prime video app. It works just fine. I'm having an issue with getting regular dd content to play over arc. Dd plus or dd plus atmos plays fine on my setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3527 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
I can get atmos over dd plus from my Samsung q8fn's built in prime video app. It works just fine. I'm having an issue with getting regular dd content to play over arc. Dd plus or dd plus atmos plays fine on my setup.

Are you seeing the ATMOS badge on the Netflix program when using the internal TV app? See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	2543674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	2543676  
post #3528 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Are you seeing the ATMOS badge on the Netflix program when using the internal TV app? See attached photo.
Not in my Samsung. The Netflix app doesn't support atmos. The prime video app is the only one I've seen that supports it. At least it proves that it's doable. It's a matter of Samsung and Netflix reaching an agreement. It's like the situation with the shield tv and atmos on Netflix.

mpfjr likes this.

Last edited by Viscious82; 03-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #3529 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Only Lg(2018 or newer) and sony tvs support netflix atmos via internal netflix app. (which is arc)

Samsung tv doesnt support netflix atmos via internal netflix app.

He needs other devices like x box, apple tv4k...

mpfjr and limitz like this.
post #3530 of 4652 Old 03-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
Not in my Samsung. The Netflix app doesn't support atmos. The prime video app is the only one I've seen that supports it. At least it probes that it's doable. It's a matter of Samsung and Netflix reaching an agreement. It's like the situation with the shield tv and atmos on Netflix.

I had no idea. Maybe that is why Nakamichi was/is in no hurry to add eARC support? If most devices don't support ATMOS on their TV apps why go through the trouble for a small percentage of the population?

I am sure everyone knows this already but wanted to mention it just in case.

On the Naka remote there is a button on the right side about half way down that has a white box on it. Like a stop button. Pressing that button will display on the Soundbar what sound decoding it is using.

So if you are getting ATMOS it will scroll "Dolby ATMOS".
post #3531 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First time poster here. I've ordered a refurbished 7.2 elite DTS:X from Naka's ebay page. Plan to run it with a Xbox 1 X on a Phillips 55" 5000 TV. Per Naka support, the Dolby Atmos update for the 7.2 will be released at the end of April.

My wife is a soundbar enthusiast. I've always been a surround setup kind of guy, and have been really disappointed in the sound capabilities of soundbars. I finallly talked her into letting me upgrade our sound system to an "atmos capable system". Since it's technically still a soundbar, she's going to be happy.

I wanted to go with the 9.2 system, but couldn't justify the extra cost or the extra speakers...unfortunately. It helped that at the time of my order they didn't have any in stock.

I plan on controlling this system through the xbox kinect. Couch is up against the fireplace, which has been sealed off and is non functional. One subwoofer is going to go inside there. Not sure where I'm going to put the other one. I plan on putting the rear speakers on the fireplace mantel in upward firing configuration.

Looking forward to being a part of this community, and just finished reading through this entire thread. Hopefully I can avoid some of the issues others have had with their systems.
post #3532 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrava View Post
I also have a similar question. On the 9.2 system, should I lay the rear speakers on their backs (horizontally) pointing to the ceiling or have them sitting vertically pointing to the back of my head? (The side speakers will be sitting vertically on pedestals directly left and right from my ears).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I was wondering something similar, most atmos setups have dedicated height channels (thinking of an upgrade from samsung k950). I wonder what it would be like if you took the hybrid elevation setup but put the left or right speakers in roughly the same position? I don't want to lose the height channel, but I also don't really have room for 4 speaker stands.
post #3533 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This picture throws a monkey wrench into the best laid plans for set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190321-224418_Write on PDF_1553558575240.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	2544308  
post #3534 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Quote:

LG to LG you get ATMOS and Dolby Vision.

Naka to LG you get only sound, no video. Maybe next year when Naka has a class action lawsuit, will they hire another developer to fix this mess!
post #3535 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop2020 View Post
LG to LG you get ATMOS and Dolby Vision.

Naka to LG you get only sound, no video. Maybe next year when Naka has a class action lawsuit, will they hire another developer to fix this mess!

HDfury has several products that will enable full bandwidth Atmos from ARC. They are pricey but many people speak their praises.
post #3536 of 4652 Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just watched the American Sniper Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos. Thank you Nakamichi. Just Wow
atfree likes this.
post #3537 of 4652 Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Got my sound bar yesterday sounds amazing but one small issue using the pc in hdr 4k 60fps the screen will lose signal for a second and the crazy thing this is excatly the same cable i use with LG and it worked no problem. I take it naka is more picky then lg on hdmi cable.
post #3538 of 4652 Old 03-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Deleted

Last edited by starrfighter; 03-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #3539 of 4652 Old 03-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Just remember one thing the Xbox One S or One X has a big checkbox in the video settings of allow HDR in right under it allow Dolby vision. What they don't tell you is that the only have Dolby vision for Netflix even though good at it to the Blu-ray app at any time but they're not. I highly suggest anyone else who's interested in having double vision instead of a static hgr setting Sumner Xbox UHD player delivery app contact Microsoft and raise hell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #3540 of 4652 Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM

I asked you this before but since my 9.2 hasn't been shipped yet I still have time and I know I'm going to need two speaker stands but what I want to know is which speaker stands should I buy? And what configuration whether it be the rears mounted on the wall in the back or on the speakers understands what dipole mode regular mode which should be firing up if any and which stands should I buy? Can anyone help me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page