Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1206Likes

post #3601 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I can select Native and choose a DSP setting I like or is it one or the other? Also what does Neural X and Pure Direct Do? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Ok. The speaker stands for 9.2, four of the Atlantics suggested here are coming. It is possible i may only need two stands because based on the diagrams and my room I can mount two rears on the wall DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF SETUP.

Since it will be a few hours before they arrive I am going to ask one more time (I have way more Atmos movies than DTS X.. got 24 for xmas, 20 atmos, 4 DTS so I am thinking we have a winner and its name is DOLBY.. there is 30 4k UHD discs at the Redboxes here in austin with zero overlap with what I own... only 2 are DTS).

Being that it looks like we are living in a DOLBY world and I will be setting up once and I dont want to have to do it twice since I had the 7.1, so good I changed to 7.2, so good I changed to 9.2. Help me please so I never have to go through this again...

PICK YOUR FAVORITE:

SIGNATURE

FULL ELEVATION

DIPOLE 1

DIPOLE 2

HYBRID ELEVATION 1

HYBRID ELEVATION 2

Explain why or just shout out your favorite. This thread is wonderful but I already read the last couple months and I dont remember a consensus whether ther was or not. So I have a couple hours just shout out your favorite, I know every room is different but I dont care. This is the third setup and finally has atmos and I want to be done and enjoy the best freaking system for the the value I have had since the 100 CD disc changer I had when I was 13 (I am a millennial but an elder one but I was pushy enough to make that happen.. if only I could find my book of 200 CDs when we discarded our jewel cases).

JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS SO PLEASE FOR YOUR FAVORITE SETTING AND / OR ANY ADVICE.PLEASE....

SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!!!!
(You got to have a party.)
(To the younger people that is a song by KISS that is on their final tour and... age aside, it's worth going, trust me.. there will never be shows that are so brazenly out of control with lights lasers, fire, breathing fire, flying more than once, blood, explosions... and more fire. Even confetti. And I am not even giving it all away. There wont be an act like this for a long time).

Sorry for that off topic, but I want my movies okay and I want to ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT, AND PARTY EVERYDAY!

With my naka soundbar...

seriously what is the best set up, I dont want to do it 4 times to find out and the stands will be here in a few hours.

Mods, sorry about the off topic portion. I'm just here twiddling my thumbs waiting. 9.2!

post #3603 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Do you have carpet? I'm not sure I feel like you may have said that but if you don't have carpet they have duct tape that looks like the floor that you can use too severely lesson the look of wires running around. I think the problem was positioning really just comes with the territory I mean how many living rooms or even theater rooms and unless you're in a basement has four walls and a door was opposed to usually three walls and then something like a kitchen nook and then other parts of the house or apartment and that is why I'm trying to figure out right now what is worse for people to best because this is my job today. But I appreciate your vote for signature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I think the “signature” layout is Nakamichi’s recommended setup.

And I know this isn’t the answer you want, but I really think what sounds best will depend on the layout of your specific room and seating position(s) and how much Atmos/DTS:X content you watch. Unless you’re really lucky or specifically designed a theater room, your room won’t be optimal. You’ll probably have to listen to the different layouts with the same content a few times to decide what you like best, unless you just default to a layout that fits your room well.

That’s where I am at the moment with a dipole setup with speakers in the rear corners of the room. It works for the room, I haven’t had time to test every possibility, and I haven’t convinced my wife to put more speaker stands in the room...yet. It also sounds pretty good, so I’m not feeling pressure to try the different layouts to optimize it. Plus I don’t have a lot of Atmos content yet, so I may not know what I’m missing.

Dipole just needs 2 stands total (one per dipole pair), but they need to support the weight of the doubled-up speakers and not be too top heavy and tip over.

I’d like to try different sub locations too, but I’m kind of stuck with them at the back of the room unless I want the wires strung across the floor. They’re hidden under/behind furniture, the bass sounds fine, and it isn’t noticeably directional or unbalanced. I also really don’t want them sitting where someone could use them like end tables for drinks, because I know that’s what my family and friends would do.
Also what you mentioned about dipole of my questions because I see the way it's marked up in that because I have that open space to the right I don't know if dipole is the best idea for me you might be right about signature but whatever elevation those can still be angled to go only towards the living area I have essential living area a desk area and the kitchen which technically is one room but it's gigantic when if you measure the living room area is considered "small" but there is an entire space I would love to just put a sound barrier over there but it can't I'm not married but I have a fiance just like everyone else so I'm thinking that dipole is not right unless are you doing dipole with on the sides and does that work or are you doing it from the back I'd rather aim sound at us on the couch but do I signature it or do I bounce it or do I do a hybrid it seems like dipole might not be right for me unless I'm completely wrong and please tell me if I am.

I got 99 problems and fourth wall is one of them God that such a bad joke unless you've been in theater in which he might be a worse joke I'm not sure thanks for your help though.

post #3605 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
It would be helpful if you posted some pictures of your room.

Obviously 4 speaker stands will provide the most opportunity and ease to configure your speaker layout.

For ME I would set up the 9.2 in this Nakamich FULL ELEVATION recomended layout. Why not experience what the Nakamichi 9.2 can do. Don’t worry about wires intially. You can tweek your setup to configure and conceal the wires. Once you have your final speaker and subwoofers positions.

Thank you for your response I am just curious and this is a pun but I can't avoid it does it feel like in full elevation that there are some sounds that should be more at your level when you're just watching TV and they all seem a little bit above your head? I know is barely upon but it had to be said because the question had to be asked I apologize.

post #3606 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrava View Post
Unfortunately Nakamichi has been nothing but a terrible experience for me.

After waiting almost a month to get the Soundbar and putting up with their atrocious overseas customer service, I hook everything up just to find out one of the satellite speakers is DOA.

Called them to ask for a replacement, obviously they don’t have any, so they tell me the only thing they can do is to get everything shipped back to maybe get a refund after they inspect the package.

Personally, my recommendation is to stay away from Nakamichi.

They might have a cool product, but they are light years away from proper quality control, support and customer service. The worst of all is that they have absolutely no respect for people’s time and money.
How do they not have any Replacements I don't understand have you tried talking to them again? They literally are releasing the same exact Hardware again like close to now the whole point of warranty is there a replacement I know they want to charge you a ridiculous amount just give it back to them but I haven't seen one person Actually on this thread although I may have missed it in wish Nakamichi actually ask for something back I hope however ended or if you're still trying it works out.

Last edited by starrfighter; 04-02-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #3607 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM

So I actually opened up my 9.2 box that was The Reef Irvine eBay from Nakamichi now I bought brand new the 7.1 decided nope needed to 7.2 and then decided nope that price is too good on eBay I need the 9.2. I've noticed a couple people here speaking about a DVD in all of the cases including the Nakamichi refurb I don't know if it's only meant for the 9.2 new boxes but I've never seen a DVD for setup of any kind in all three cases. Also although it doesn't really matter at this point they couldn't include Emmanuel apparently but again that's fine because it's different now and they gave me the older some very happy that I bought a new one off of Amazon because there's always a backup I guess but I'm a little disappointed because the reefer Boston didn't have the straps so you can tip the box over and then spin the styrofoam back to face upwards there are no diagrams I'm going to have to count all the screws and various items but Nakamichi really could have done a better job here.

All the same please as my stands are four stops away from Amazon let me know what your favorite 9.2 SSE setup is considering that it seems like besides Netflix everything most movies are Dolby Atmos at least from this last year and so is Netflix so I'm a little disappointed I am going to have to make sure that everything is actually here luckily I've opened two other boxes twice but this better all work I am not going to be happy at all after being very happy to the point where I kept trading them in and buying a next one up.

post #3608 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Thank you for your response I am just curious and this is a pun but I can't avoid it does it feel like in full elevation that there are some sounds that should be more at your level when you're just watching TV and they all seem a little bit above your head? I know is barely upon but it had to be said because the question had to be asked I apologize.

Unable to offer an opinion on “just watching TV.” Ever since I helped my friend setup his Nakamichi 9.2. They seem to really enjoy watching movies. Usually when I visit we will end up watching one of the latest 4K releases. I will say that the actual audio source material will have a significant impact on the audio quality of your overall listening experience. Physical media being the best. 4K, Bluray, DVD.

As I suggested in my previous post I recommend setting it up in FULL ELEVATION exactly as the speaker layout diagram shows. Recomend placing the soundbar just below the TV. In the owners manual there is recommended distances from each speaker to the MLP. Anytime I setup a surround system. I try to get as close to the recommended distances as possible. 1st set the distance from the screen to the MLP. If you search the forum or web you will find a recommendation for your seating distance (MLP) to your screen size. Move your seating to this distance 1st. Then setup your speakers around your MLP using the speaker layout diagram for FULL ELEVATION per Nakamichi. This will produce the best audio and video experience. You will experience audio that will image properly aligning with the action on the screen. Also when the camera zooms in you will experience the effect of being pulled into the action.

With this speaker layout the audio with be positioned properly as the director intended. Sounds that are intended to be at ear level will be at ear level. Sounds that are intended to be elevated will be elevated. I have experienced both elevated sounds and sounds that have transitioned from the rear to the front. Further I would think that Nakamich Engineers designed and engineered their speakers, hardware, speaker positions and layout to work within Dolby Atmos and DTS X specifications. Or tgey would not have received certifications.

You don’t need to allow the walls in your room to define your listening environment. If you set up your speakers just like layout diagram.

Again several pictures of the room would be beneficial to you. Good luck.....
starrfighter and cyberized39 like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 04-02-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #3609 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
So I can select Native and choose a DSP setting I like or is it one or the other? Also what does Neural X and Pure Direct Do? Thanks for the help!

Neutral X gives you best results for surround sound.
I leave mine on neutral x and movie on everything including tv.
post #3610 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Unable to offer an opinion on “just watching TV.” Ever since I helped my friend setup his Nakamichi 9.2. They seem to really enjoy watching movies. Usually when I visit we will end up watching one of the latest 4K releases. I will say that the actual audio source material will have a significant impact on the audio quality of your overall listening experience. Physical media being the best. 4K, Bluray, DVD.

As I suggested in my previous post I recommend setting it up in FULL ELEVATION exactly as the speaker layout diagram shows. Recomend placing the soundbar just below the TV. In the owners manual there is recommended distances from each speaker to the MLP. Anytime I setup a surround system. I try to get as close to the recommended distances as possible. 1st set the distance from the screen to the MLP. If you search the forum or web you will find a recommendation for your seating distance (MLP) to your screen size. Move your seating to this distance 1st. Then setup your speakers around your MLP using the speaker layout diagram for FULL ELEVATION per Nakamichi. This will produce the best audio and video experience. You will experience audio that will image properly aligning with the action on the screen. Also when the camera zooms in you will experience the effect of being pulled into the action.

With this speaker layout the audio with be positioned properly as the director intended. Sounds that are intended to be at ear level will be at ear level. Sounds that are intended to be elevated will be elevated. I have experienced both elevated sounds and sounds that have transitioned from the rear to the front. Further I would think that Nakamich Engineers designed and engineered their speakers, hardware, speaker positions and layout to work within Dolby Atmos and DTS X specifications. Or tgey would not have received certifications.

You don’t need to allow the walls in your room to define your listening environment. If you set up your speakers just like layout diagram.

Again several pictures of the room would be beneficial to you. Good luck.....
You rock. The only thing is it's hard to avoid watching tv (youtube tv, hulu, etc) in the main viewing space, aka the lg c8 and the naka. Before moving on from the 7.2 to the 9.2 it was so clear while watching movies that ultimately this is what it was for but at the same time it made Sports better and music better with neural X because if you actually selected the DSP for music it sounded like there was a serious house party going on at all times and was a little ridiculous but now that I'm going into Dolby Atmos and SSE territory elevation worries me some for all the times I'm not watching movies but you know exactly what you're talking about and I do too I just haven't set this one up yet or anything like it so I hear you and I and understand you and I'm going to go for the full elevation I just and there's this one little part of me that says why would they call something else signature if full of elevation is the way but I guess I'll find out I really appreciate your advice.

Thad said if anyone wants to refute this everything is heavy and I'm kind of tired today so just going to take me a little while so if anyone feels that this advice might not be the best although it seems very credible but I will be watching TV and listening to music on this thing as well please let me know although I'm kind of sold I'm going with the elevation but please stop me before I get all done if you have a good reason for disagreement but thank you again to the person who posted this multiple times for me you really seem like you have it going on.

cyberized39 likes this.

post #3611 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You rock. The only thing is it's hard to avoid watching tv (youtube tv, hulu, etc) in the main viewing space, aka the lg c8 and the naka. Before moving on from the 7.2 to the 9.2 it was so clear while watching movies that ultimately this is what it was for but at the same time it made Sports better and music better with neural X because if you actually selected the DSP for music it sounded like there was a serious house party going on at all times and was a little ridiculous but now that I'm going into Dolby Atmos and SSE territory elevation worries me some for all the times I'm not watching movies but you know exactly what you're talking about and I do too I just haven't set this one up yet or anything like it so I hear you and I and understand you and I'm going to go for the full elevation I just and there's this one little part of me that says why would they call something else signature if full of elevation is the way but I guess I'll find out I really appreciate your advice.

Thad said if anyone wants to refute this everything is heavy and I'm kind of tired today so just going to take me a little while so if anyone feels that this advice might not be the best although it seems very credible but I will be watching TV and listening to music on this thing as well please let me know although I'm kind of sold I'm going with the elevation but please stop me before I get all done if you have a good reason for disagreement but thank you again to the person who posted this multiple times for me you really seem like you have it going on.

You may want to consider closing the valve on the tanker size truck of caffeine you may be consuming.

Never stated or suggested to avoid enjoying TV or any other audio source while enjoying the Nakamichi 9.2. You may want to re-read my posts. Your audio listening experience is unique ONLY to YOU. That’s why Nakamichi offeres several speaker layout options. Try them ALL and see which one YOU like the best. Then you can work on concealing the wires. Good luck and have FuN.

I also really enjoy listening to upmixed music. I listen to my CD collection everyday withy my 7.2.4 system and wouldn’t have it any other way. Experiment I am sure you will enjoy your Nakamichi 9.2. It impresses ME everytime I visit my friend and enjoy a movie.
cyberized39 likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 04-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #3612 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You may want to consider closing the valve on the tanker size truck of caffeine you may be consuming.

Never stated or suggested to avoid enjoying TV or any other audio source while enjoying the Nakamichi 9.2. You may want to re-read my posts. Your audio listening experience is unique ONLY to YOU. That’s why Nakamichi offeres several speaker layout options. Try them ALL and see which one YOU like the best. Then you can work on concealing the wires. Good luck and have FuN.

I also really enjoy listening to upmixed music. I listen to my CD collection everyday withy my 7.2.4 system and wouldn’t have it any other way. Experiment I am sure you will enjoy your Nakamichi 9.2. It impresses ME everytime I visit my friend and enjoy a movie.
I think I actually need to increase my protein intake cuz I only have 90 mg of caffeine in the morning and a lot of B12 and B6 and a muffin. But maybe I can mitigate that with actually eating lunch and a shot of vodka since just like sound it's all about balance. But again thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.
cyberized39 likes this.

post #3613 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I will let you know how Dolby does versus neural X on the music because I absolutely agree whether you're using Bluetooth or a CD player or anything that plays CDs at all I hear new things I've never heard and I am an audiophile I've produced a couple albums and I have a long story musical past but apparently I talk too much so I'm just going to say this I have a Blu-ray remixed and remastered of yes close to the edge if you know who they are and I thought it could not get better than the multi-channel mix a guy named Steve Wilson produced and then I played it on the soundbar and then I played Prince on the soundbar and Paul McCartney on the soundbar and this thing I can't believe they haven't Unleashed the 2019 version I will let you know how's the Dolby rolls compared to the neural X. there's something special about still having a place to put a disc in and then have it be so much more detailed than it was probably ever intended to be or even Bluetooth that is even amazing. Cheers!

cyberized39 likes this.

post #3614 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I actually need to increase my protein intake cuz I only have 90 mg of caffeine in the morning and a lot of B12 and B6 and a muffin. But maybe I can mitigate that with actually eating lunch and a shot of vodka since just like sound it's all about balance. But again thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.
Your welcome good luck with your setup. Enjoy.........
starrfighter likes this.

post #3615 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Your welcome good luck with your setup. Enjoy.........
Okay. I have a couple more questions with elevation now that I've opened the stand box and read the instructions.

1.) There is no instruction for horizontal mounting. I remember seeing a picture of this but again, this thread has become extremely long and I have a feeling you know exactly what post shows this.

2.) There is 3M tape. Do I hold onto it in case I decide that a different formation is better later or is it required in full elevation?

3.) Do I want the stands at their tallest like I would use in signature formation, or shorter because I am bouncing the sound off surfaces like the ceiling and the viewing area is considered "small"?

post #3616 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will let you know how Dolby does versus neural X on the music because I absolutely agree whether you're using Bluetooth or a CD player or anything that plays CDs at all I hear new things I've never heard and I am an audiophile I've produced a couple albums and I have a long story musical past but apparently I talk too much so I'm just going to say this I have a Blu-ray remixed and remastered of yes close to the edge if you know who they are and I thought it could not get better than the multi-channel mix a guy named Steve Wilson produced and then I played it on the soundbar and then I played Prince on the soundbar and Paul McCartney on the soundbar and this thing I can't believe they haven't Unleashed the 2019 version I will let you know how's the Dolby rolls compared to the neural X. there's something special about still having a place to put a disc in and then have it be so much more detailed than it was probably ever intended to be or even Bluetooth that is even amazing. Cheers!

I also noticed the clarity of the audio from the Nakamichi speakers the 1st movie I enjoyed over my friends house.

A couple years ago when I setup my JBL Pro Synthesis speakers. When I played my CD collection for the 1st time with the JBL’s. I literally stayed up til 3-4 in the morning. I kept saying one more song, after this one. I was just amazed by the depth of clarity in the details of the music. Songs I heard 1,000 times. Sounded different to ME. In a really good way. They continue to cause my jaw to drop. The more songs I enjoy.

Myself when listening to music in 7.2.4 I prefer a DSP mode within my Pioneer called EXT STEREO. To my ears it produces a tonal quality that is natural. At keast to this old guitar twanger. Having produced music albums under your belt. I’m sure you will find a DSP mode that will appeal to YOUR ears.

For movies like ME. My friend usually chooses a DSP mode of Dolby Surround for Dolby audio. DTS Neural X for DTS audio. Atmos and DTS X are enjoyed in their native audio.

Good luck..........

post #3617 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay. I have a couple more questions with elevation now that I've opened the stand box and read the instructions.

1.) There is no instruction for horizontal mounting. I remember seeing a picture of this but again, this thread has become extremely long and I have a feeling you know exactly what post shows this.

2.) There is 3M tape. Do I hold onto it in case I decide that a different formation is better later or is it required in full elevation?

3.) Do I want the stands at their tallest like I would use in signature formation, or shorter because I am bouncing the sound off surfaces like the ceiling and the viewing area is considered "small"?

I do recall seeing a post with pictures with the speakers mounted horizontally. I’m sure if you go back about maybe ten pages. You should be able to scroll thru til you see the pic. I recall them using a L bracked fom the stand and securing it to the back of the speaker mounting hole thread.

Once the speakers are secured to the stand in a horizontal position. The tweeter and woofer will be angled toward the ceiling. Maybe about 45 degrees. Postion the center of the tweeter at ear height. The standard for ear height is 42.” From the floor to the center of the tweeter. Ear height is the recommended height in the Nakamichi owners manual.

If you setup using the speaker distances “BEST” diagram (I believe 6.5’) from Nakamichi owners manual. I would choose small to start. Then try medium. That’s controlling the timing of the audio to reach the MLP.

Good luck......

post #3618 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post

Yes, you can.

Neural:X uses DTS technology to upmix the audio to make use of all of the Shockwafe's speakers. Pure Direct uses whatever DSP mode you have selected to do the upmixing.
post #3619 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signor Cat View Post
Yes, you can.

Neural:X uses DTS technology to upmix the audio to make use of all of the Shockwafe's speakers. Pure Direct uses whatever DSP mode you have selected to do the upmixing.
I am repeating that yes I can since I dropped a bracket and a screw on stand one of 4. My floor is wood. I need kneepads. Ooh maybe amazon prime now

post #3620 of 4641 Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrava View Post
Unfortunately Nakamichi has been nothing but a terrible experience for me.

After waiting almost a month to get the Soundbar and putting up with their atrocious overseas customer service, I hook everything up just to find out one of the satellite speakers is DOA.

Called them to ask for a replacement, obviously they don’t have any, so they tell me the only thing they can do is to get everything shipped back to maybe get a refund after they inspect the package.

Personally, my recommendation is to stay away from Nakamichi.

They might have a cool product, but they are light years away from proper quality control, support and customer service. The worst of all is that they have absolutely no respect for people’s time and money.
How do they not have any Replacements I don't understand have you tried talking to them again? They literally are releasing the same exact Hardware again like close to now the whole point of warranty is there a replacement I know they want to charge you a ridiculous amount just give it back to them but I haven't seen one person Actually on this thread although I may have missed it in wish Nakamichi actually ask for something back I hope however ended or if you're still trying it works out.

We finally worked it all out, albeit how long it has taken and although it is clear that I have gotten a doozy (which is something that should never have happened in the first place).

They offered me another partial refund and they have shipped 1 new surround back speaker to replace the completely broken one I have gotten.

I found out exactly what was wrong with the speakers (two of them had blown woofers like in the attached picture and in one of them, the 2.2v capacitor on the 9ch-dipole circuit board was basically unsoldered).

I was able to find the exact woofers and tweeters they use on the surround channels:

https://eastech.com/standard/fsb031530-0801

https://eastech.com/standard/fsa245010-0801

Thus, I decided to use some of the refund to get replacement 3” Tymphany PLS Full Range speakers for all 4 surround boxes (I have to replace 2 woofers on the back channels, there’s no guarantee they won’t send me busted woofers again on the replacement surround speakers and I definitely don’t want them to sound different from each other).

This was undoubtedly a QC issue added to improper stock control (they sold more than they had in hand, then shipped out an unqualified unit instead of waiting for more stock) and it is clear I’ve gotten the bottom of the barrel of the refurb units (one that shouldn’t have been sold to anyone as a refurb or otherwise).

Another issue I noticed is that in the beginning of any source you start watching, it takes the Soundbar a while to get the sound going (one or two drops happening before it finally plays the sound uninterrupted).

Once it is all working, the system sounds amazing, which is the main reason I decided to keep it.

Also, unlike several reports I’ve seen from others, I have had zero issues with ARC or CEC with a Vizio PQ65F1 (will be replaced by a LG C9 later this year).

Once the warranty on the Soundbar runs out, I am also considering upgrading the woofers and tweeters in the entire system and can post impressions and parts used here if I get it all done.

If anyone else is interested in doing something similar, please reach out as I was able to procure the necessary technical info on every woofer and tweeter that this system uses.

Should this system work going forward without any other issues, I will be picking up a 9.2 system with HDMI 2.1 when it comes out (Nakamichi told me 2020/2021).

I’ve had my share of top of the line Soundbars in the past (Yamaha, Sony, Klipsch and LG) and not a single system can hold a candle to the sound prowess of the Nakamichi Ultra.

I can also attest that their build quality is a cut above their competitors, especially on their speakers and Soundbar housing, cabling, etc...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	984CAE3F-5F6F-48EC-92C8-D07200158C57_1554257496861.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2548100  

Last edited by lcrava; 04-02-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #3621 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM

Can anyone me link me to the much better RCA cables than come with the system? Still with the L shape into the speaker sides with the regular straight connect into the sub? I cannot seem to find the info via search then again also have an eye infection so reading every search hit is not what I need to do today. My antibiotic- I can barely see I forgot the brand/model of the the better RCA cables that have the same L shape and straight shape that goes into the sub. but after 10 min I cant, so I thought I would just ask. Thanks very much. Please help me today be a little less miserable than it is. I can't even see the text written with my voice so if anyone can help me do not keep searching you'll be awesome thanks.

post #3622 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Can anyone me link me to the much better RCA cables than come with the system? Still with the L shape into the speaker sides with the regular straight connect into the sub? I cannot seem to find the info via search then again also have an eye infection so reading every search hit is not what I need to do today. My antibiotic- I can barely see I forgot the brand/model of the the better RCA cables that have the same L shape and straight shape that goes into the sub. but after 10 min I cant, so I thought I would just ask. Thanks very much. Please help me today be a little less miserable than it is. I can't even see the text written with my voice so if anyone can help me do not keep searching you'll be awesome thanks.

Here is a good set, but you really don't need them. I have tried man different brands and gauge of wire and can tell no difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio...ronics&sr=1-10
cyberized39 likes this.
post #3623 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:

In fact, I settled on cutting off the ends of the original speaker cables and splicing them onto standard 20 gauge speaker wire since I had to go further than the original wire length to hide the wiring.
post #3624 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is my previous post to another person with a similar question. Good luck.......

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...l#post57621654

I highly recommend www.bluejeanscables.com for any cable needs. They can make you custom cables in any lengths and cable connections. Or you can purchase their premade cables in a length you select.

post #3625 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 11:08 AM

So I have a refurbished by Nakamichi 9.2 and it came with the Soundbar showing firmware 3.1. Is it possible they've made any other tweaks to the firmware that I might want to download it and install it again? Because honestly the refurb looks like it has been sitting somewhere for a long time everything's clean everything was wrapped but I have bought a new 7.1 a new 7.2 and then I went screw it you know did 9.2 refurbished too cheap to not just use that instead like I should have in the first place but there was a manual no diagrams no sign of the Fable 2 DVD in any of the additions I bought including this one , and it has the old remote good thing I bought a new one for SSE but

I want to know if I would do any harm by trying to upgrade the firmware from itself or if there was like a 3.1 a firmware and maybe a 3.1 B firmware I just find it very odd based on how the packaging looked from the outside at least, like the box is had been sitting there for awhile that it was preloaded with the 3.1 firmware. And I want to make sure that I'm getting the right experience.

I also don't want to screw anything up.

post #3626 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So I have a refurbished by Nakamichi 9.2 and it came with the Soundbar showing firmware 3.1. Is it possible they've made any other tweaks to the firmware that I might want to download it and install it again? Because honestly the refurb looks like it has been sitting somewhere for a long time everything's clean everything was wrapped but I have bought a new 7.1 a new 7.2 and then I went screw it you know did 9.2 refurbished too cheap to not just use that instead like I should have in the first place but there was a manual no diagrams no sign of the Fable 2 DVD in any of the additions I bought including this one , and it has the old remote good thing I bought a new one for SSE but

I want to know if I would do any harm by trying to upgrade the firmware from itself or if there was like a 3.1 a firmware and maybe a 3.1 B firmware I just find it very odd based on how the packaging looked from the outside at least, like the box is had been sitting there for awhile that it was preloaded with the 3.1 firmware. And I want to make sure that I'm getting the right experience.

I also don't want to screw anything up.

You can't download or backup the firmware from the soundbar. You can't reinstall or overwrite the current version you have on the soundbar now with another current (same) version. You have to flash a downgrade version then flash the current upgrade version.
post #3627 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Then again, if you’re on 3.1 already, no point in downgrading to then return to where you already are.
Just wait for the next update, you’re set as is.

75X900F / SHOCKWAFE 9.2 / Apple TV 4K / One X / PS4 Pro
post #3628 of 4641 Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I performed a FW upgrade on my 7.2 today to 21. Following the upgrade I get no sound from the soundbar or any speakers, even in Demo mode. Nothing else changed in my configuration and everything worked perfectly until the upgrade. A call to Nakamichi support gets no results as they don't answer. I've reset everything and started over as if it were right out of the box, still nothing. Any ideas what I can look at to fix it, I'd hate the think it broke the system. I know better than to upgrade when everything is working but I didn't see anything online about it breaking devices so figured why not. TIA.
post #3629 of 4641 Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
no sign of the Fable 2 DVD
You only get the Dolby Atmos Demo disc if you pay more money for the 2019 boxed version (same hardware) that isn't quite on shelves yet. You don't get the Dolby Atmos Demo is a refurbished 2018 model. And if it says "FW31", then you have the newest possible firmware.
cyberized39 likes this.
post #3630 of 4641 Old 04-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngettler View Post
You only get the Dolby Atmos Demo disc if you pay more money for the 2019 boxed version (same hardware) that isn't quite on shelves yet. You don't get the Dolby Atmos Demo is a refurbished 2018 model. And if it says "FW31", then you have the newest possible firmware.
Thanks
Was just checking. The refurb box looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of 90 lb boxes piled a hundred high, old and mistreated, and then FW fully updated. It was just odd to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page