Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1005Likes

post #3661 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I don't think there is any soundbar or AVR in the market right now supporting low latency option as it is pretty niche for devices required high, speed sensitive performance for gaming. I think it is only available on xbox console as I rmb I do see the feature somewhere on my xbox.

Do you try to change to other HDMI cables to see if that helps. it sounds like the cable is not holding up the performance needed for xbox. just a thought
thanks for the info about the low latency its a pain switching to game mode in between my shield and watching movies not a biggie. Its the supplied cable that came with the xbox1x. I moved the xbox because of heat issues it wasn't getting good circulation the fan was running full speed constant ill see if that helps .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith10210 View Post
thanks for the info about the low latency its a pain switching to game mode in between my shield and watching movies not a biggie. Its the supplied cable that came with the xbox1x. I moved the xbox because of heat issues it wasn't getting good circulation the fan was running full speed constant ill see if that helps .
I use an hdfury integral 2 and I was able to set it up to allow auto low latency mode and get up to 7.1/atmos sound with the Nakamichi 9.2, but it can't do freesync. The integral 2 is also a two port switch and has a bunch of features. Be aware though that it's pretty expensive.

The other option would be to connect your Xbox directly to the TV and use 5.1 dolby digital through the arc connection but you will not be able to use atmos or 7.1 channel audio. Hope this helps.

https://hdfury.com/product/integral-2/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3663 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
I use an hdfury integral 2 and I was able to set it up to allow auto low latency mode and get up to 7.1/atmos sound with the Nakamichi 9.2, but it can't do freesync. The integral 2 is also a two port switch and has a bunch of features. Be aware though that it's pretty expensive.

The other option would be to connect your Xbox directly to the TV and use 5.1 dolby digital through the arc connection but you will not be able to use atmos or 7.1 channel audio. Hope this helps.

https://hdfury.com/product/integral-2/

Yes thats pricey wow ! ill stick with just using the tv remote and switching game mode on and off takes less than 10 secs. I could just hook the the xbox to the tv like you said but love atmos lol but dts is fine also when gaming. Im usually streaming movies on the shield with kodi and prefer having atmos with movies than gaming. Thanks for the info on that maybe i can find one used..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith10210 View Post
Yes thats pricey wow ! ill stick with just using the tv remote and switching game mode on and off takes less than 10 secs. I could just hook the the xbox to the tv like you said but love atmos lol but dts is fine also when gaming. Im usually streaming movies on the shield with kodi and prefer having atmos with movies than gaming. Thanks for the info on that maybe i can find one used..
You're welcome. I use it cause I also have a standard ps4. The integral 2 can upscale the ps4 image to 4k while also allowing me to split the audio and video signals. Pretty handy.

post #3665 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Per Naka last night (4/9/2019) in response to FB question: 7.1 DTS:X firmware will not be available until late May/Early June.
Ridiculous!!!
post #3666 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Per Naka last night (4/9/2019) in response to FB question: 7.1 DTS:X firmware will not be available until late May/Early June.
Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3667 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Yep... I think they're playing games to encourage sales of the new hardware which comes equipped with the new firmware. Basically shortchanging current owners.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #3668 of 3693 Old 04-11-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
starrfighter. Does the 9.2 blow the 7.2 away? Was the upgrade worth it? What are your thoughts going from the 7.2 to the 9.2?
I can't really say because it is apples and oranges due to the firmware differences. I can say it's louder, and that more is going on around me. I have it in signature mode as I have been doing various TV, audio, and even bed switch outs, and I'm researching new cell phones... Its upgrade year for everything. I probably won't have everything nailed down until July as I am also taking classes at harvard. I am freaking exhausted.

But I will say that the 9.2 will inherently sound better because there are more speakers and therefore more processing. and it does well. But if you already have a 7.2, the firmware will almost certainly make it louder and i'm pretty sure you will be happy. You should already be happy other than the lack of dolby vision passthrough and no dolby atmos. When almost everything is in Dolby now, you are not yet able to evaluate. When you get the firmware, you don't even get Neural X as an option anymore unless it is a DTS signal. It's a whole different ballgame.

Thats said, yes 9.2 is better, but it is processing completely differently on dolby signals, and now I have an ongoing bet on who is going to knock one of the speaker/speaker stands down and breaking something. There is no such thing as overkill IMHO, but unless you have a giant room and get some professionals to do the 9.2, There is a slight bliss in the 7.2, but I'm a freaking nerd, 9.2 is not necessary unless you are a person like me.

What is required apparently is patience. The firmware is coming.

post #3669 of 3693 Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I’ve been away for awhile...the new Nakamichi has Atmos AND Dolby Vision?? I looked on the website but I’m still kind of confused. It says you can adjust the speakers to point at the ceiling? But it also seemed like they were trying to allude there aren’t “height” speakers but more just an illusion like the Z9F.

Anyone have anything to add?
post #3670 of 3693 Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
I’ve been away for awhile...the new Nakamichi has Atmos AND Dolby Vision?? I looked on the website but I’m still kind of confused. It says you can adjust the speakers to point at the ceiling? But it also seemed like they were trying to allude there aren’t “height” speakers but more just an illusion like the Z9F.

Anyone have anything to add?
Yes atmos i have my speakers facing on their sides for my 9.2 i haven't tried them standing vertical yet.
post #3671 of 3693 Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
They are also updating the firmware of 9.2, 7.2, and 7.1 DTS:X sets to the new Dolby Atmos sets, so previous owners get the upgrade without the price hike.

As some of you were aware, I was having issues with my subwoofers sounding blown and was getting clipping on the subs and rear surrounds. Turns out the issue was with the Xbox One X hdmi cable. Replaced it with a slim high speed monoprice hdmi cable, and that fixed that issue. Like another recent poster, I then had issues with a lack of bass. Fixed that by doing a hard reset. Also confirmed that there is no xbox remote code for Nakamichi. According to them, they have reached out to Microsoft multiple times, but have been ignored.
post #3672 of 3693 Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question is the nakamichi right for my situation?

Nakamichi 600watt dts x 7.1 shockwave. I have a dilema. I want to get dolby atmos sound but am limited by a couple of factors.
a. my wife does not want clutter
b. size is not huge.
c. noise. I have an insane neighbor(we share a wall) that complains about not having anything tocomplain about. She once called to complain about the noise at my place when no one was home
d. obviosly cannot have wall shattering bass

Will the Nakamichi soundbar give me good seperation of sound and decent surronds even if it is not cranked up? Can it fill the room with richness even if it is lower volume?

I eliminatd the 7.2 thinking it would be too bass heavy, am I wrong in this thinking?

Finally are there any other alternatives that may be better options that still give me atmos at a low price point? Nakashimi seems best value and performance when all things considered.
post #3673 of 3693 Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Can’t comment on volume vs sound quality for the 7.1, since I don’t have that model. But note that you won’t get Atmos for a few months, when the updated firmware is released for the 7.1 systems.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #3674 of 3693 Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 PM

I cannot comment on the 7.1 either, but based on my experience with the 7.2, the volume is adjustable without sacrificing clarity. All dual subwoofers do is seperate the bass so it isn't localized to a single spot but rather fills the room. The bass can be fully adjusted from barely audible to wall rattling.
post #3675 of 3693 Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM

As for Atmos at the same or lower price point...not going to happen. The best you can hope for is to buy an atmos capable reciever, buy a wireless transmitter to eliminate cords to the subs and rear surrounds and reuse speakers from previously owned surround sound systems. I looked into it, and concluded that the entry price for a decent cobbled together atmos sound system would be about $1000 or a few hundred less.

The reviews for $500-700 atmos sound systems are universally pretty dismal when compared to better systems. The Nakamichi soundbar system being the one shining exception.
post #3676 of 3693 Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
As for Atmos at the same or lower price point...not going to happen. The best you can hope for is to buy an atmos capable reciever, buy a wireless transmitter to eliminate cords to the subs and rear surrounds and reuse speakers from previously owned surround sound systems. I looked into it, and concluded that the entry price for a decent cobbled together atmos sound system would be about $1000 or a few hundred less.

The reviews for $500-700 atmos sound systems are universally pretty dismal when compared to better systems. The Nakamichi soundbar system being the one shining exception.
Thank you all for the quick reply. Will probably get it and just hope my neighbor moves lol
post #3677 of 3693 Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark burrell View Post
Thank you all for the quick reply. Will probably get it and just hope my neighbor moves lol
the bass is fantastic, beware if you press the demo button on the soundbar itself!
post #3678 of 3693 Old 04-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Anyone with a apple tv the video will drop for a second on them?I know it's not the hdmi cable cause i tested the same thing with my sk10y and that never happens just with this soundbar only. I use all monoprice cables.
post #3679 of 3693 Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark burrell View Post
the bass is fantastic, beware if you press the demo button on the soundbar itself!
"Right subwoofer." *pause* "earthquake rumble."
"Left subwoofer." *pause* "earthquake rumble."

Babies cry, women scream, and grown men faint. (I may be exaggerating slightly).

Edit: it basically plays the two or three lowest notes you could hear from say, an organ. It's actually quite melodic, and unexpected, if you are not warned in advance. All the other speakers just do a voice saying the name of the speaker.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #3680 of 3693 Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Interesting you say that, I've noticed an issue with my 7.1 DTS:X.

If I hit the demo button, I get a good rumble from my sub. Of course, that rumble is during what is basically completely synced just with the sound from the sub. Meanwhile, if I turn on any movie, crank the Bass to +10, turn up the volume, and put my hand directly on my sub, I barely feel any vibration.

This is with DTS and regular Dolby Digital sources.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd say it was a bad sub, but the demo works fine. I don't see it being 5Ghz interference, because the rear channels that run off the sub work just fine.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by Merijeek; 04-16-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #3681 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merijeek View Post
Quote:
Interesting you say that, I've noticed an issue with my 7.1 DTS:X.

If I hit the demo button, I get a good rumble from my sub. Of course, that rumble is during what is basically completely synced just with the sound from the sub. Meanwhile, if I turn on any movie, crank the Bass to +10, turn up the volume, and put my hand directly on my sub, I barely feel any vibration.

This is with DTS and regular Dolby Digital sources.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd say it was a bad sub, but the demo works fine. I don't see it being 5Ghz interference, because the rear channels that run off the sub work just fine.

Any input is appreciated.
I had the same problem. A hard reset (as opposed to a soft reset) fixed that issue.
post #3682 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I had the same problem. A hard reset (as opposed to a soft reset) fixed that issue.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
post #3683 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Can you please explain how to hard reset?

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3684 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You do a full reset from the hitting the setup button a bunch of times until "reset" shows up on the sound bar. Once you see Reset select it to do the hard reset
post #3685 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
You do a full reset from the hitting the setup button a bunch of times until "reset" shows up on the sound bar. Once you see Reset select it to do the hard reset

To be clear, from Naka's site, what you described is a soft reset. A hard reset appears to be disconnecting everything, including power and HDMI, and waiting 10 minutes.
atfree likes this.
post #3686 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Anyone with a apple tv the video will drop for a second on them?I know it's not the hdmi cable cause i tested the same thing with my sk10y and that never happens just with this soundbar only. I use all monoprice cables.

Yes I drops for a second here and there on my Apple TV 4k. Same monoprice cables. Didn’t have issues with my LG sound bar but that was connected via optical.
post #3687 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I would contact Nakamichi about the buzzing. It could be a ground fault in one or more devices (and hard to troubleshoot and track down), or it could be faulty hardware, or it could be a “phantom” signal sent by the input device to keep the soundbar from going to sleep.

I get the audio lag, too, and also got it with my previous soundbar (different brand), and saw it sometimes with a previous 5.1 AVR setup. I also get a screen flash sometimes when changing inputs from my HTPC to my Shield TV. I suspect it’s due to an HDMI/HDCP handshake and the soundbar processing the signal to get the correct decoder, and I doubt that there’s a fix. Here’s a link from nakamichi that seems to be related https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...-to-play-audio.
To close a loop from a couple weeks ago, I reached out to Nakamichi about the audio delay and brief flash when starting a source. The simple answer is that the audio delay (and presumably the screen flash) is indeed due to the HDCP 2.2 handshake and identifying and decoding the audio codec. Nakamichi’s reply said that there’s more processing going on than there was with the previous non-Atmos firmware. It sounds like even if the video source isn’t using higher end audio/video formats like Dolby Vision or Atmos, the system takes a moment to scan and identify and decode the signal. So I don’t think there’s a fix for the brief audio delay.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #3688 of 3693 Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 PM

To ammend what was said previously, yes, you unplug the hdmi cables for ten minutes, but you also unplug all the equipment as well for 10 minutes.

My understanding is that this "resets" the hdmi protocols in the equipment.

Why this fixed the subwoofers, i don't know, but it worked when the soft reset didn't.

Edit: I did not unplug the subwoofers, but i did unplug the tv, xbox, soundbar, and cable box.
Nakamichi recommends that you rehook up the hdmi back up from extremities to source. i.e., hook up the tv to soundbar, soundbar to xbox, xbox to cable box.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-17-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #3689 of 3693 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Question for you all. For your gaming consoles, what are you choosing -- bitstream (i.e. DD or DTS) or uncompressed PCM?

For context, I have used both and bitstream seems to sound better than uncompressed PCM. Does Nakamichi not do a good job of interpreting uncompressed sound? So am I missing something.
post #3690 of 3693 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
Question for you all. For your gaming consoles, what are you choosing -- bitstream (i.e. DD or DTS) or uncompressed PCM?

For context, I have used both and bitstream seems to sound better than uncompressed PCM. Does Nakamichi not do a good job of interpreting uncompressed sound? So am I missing something.
I have the 9.2 with the atmos firmware and I normally use 7.1 lpcm for the Xbone one and lpcm for ps4. Use dolby surround for pure direct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar