Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1346Likes

post #3691 of 5483 Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looks like Naka updated their site with the new model for 2019. However when you click the buy it now it links to Amazon but the 9.2 doesn't come up yet as available. Getting closer.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
I use bitstream. If you use PCM, dolby atmos and DTS:X will be downmixed to a 5.1 signal. It's not so much "uncompressed sound," but rather sound already assigned to individual speaker channels. It's best to let the Nakamichi reciever (soundbar) decode the audio and assign it to audio channels. I use DTS for now, but will switch to Dolby when the Atmos firmware upgrade is released.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense with how it sounded when selecting uncompressed LPMC. Much appreciated.
post #3693 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Red face

The nakamichi has a quad core cirrus logic chipset, its always been atmos capable. licensing is a whole different cost factor to the product so i am patiently grateful for the firmware update. even if it messes up things once i am able to go back to the previous firmware while they work on it im good
ari821 likes this.

SONY X900F 65"
XBOX 1 X (SCORPIO)
NAKAMICHI 7.2 ELITE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Here are the technical details on the quad core chipset, Nakamichi themselves do not state that this is the actual chip but its the only chipset from cirrus logic that has quad core processing.
Its bad ass:

https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs49834-44/

SONY X900F 65"
XBOX 1 X (SCORPIO)
NAKAMICHI 7.2 ELITE
post #3695 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Seriously, guys? They are giving us a FREE upgrade for previous versions. In 99% of the cases lately, as soon as a manufacturer has a new version you are stuck with the "upgrade or die" situation because they usually don't or can't support the latest firmware on the old product.

Let's repeat the first sentence "they are giving you a free upgrade" and stop there.

The 9.2 SSE product with Atmos support etc was announced long before the original proposed code release date, first stated as "November" without a specific date.

Right now, the only 9.2 soundbar you can buy is the one refurbished one Nakamichi has for sale on eBay, and even for under $900 it comes preloaded with the new (SSE / Atmos) code.

They really don't owe us anything. The fact that they are giving us the new code is almost a fluke in today's market, and they get nada for every single Shockwafe that exists already - zero, zilch.

Not exactly the best money making proposition for them, but we are going to get free updates and code for existing products. These days that in itself is unheard of. Be grateful, quit yer bitchin'.
RickD_99, tigerfan33 and DavAbq like this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 04-19-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #3696 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ratledge View Post
Seriously, guys? They are giving us a FREE upgrade for previous versions. In 99% of the cases lately, as soon as a manufacturer has a new version you are stuck with the "upgrade or die" situation because they usually don't or can't support the latest firmware on the old product.

Let's repeat the first sentence "they are giving you a free upgrade" and stop there.

The 9.2 SSE product with Atmos support etc was announced long before the original proposed code release date, first stated as "November" without a specific date.

Right now, the only 9.2 soundbar you can buy is the one refurbished one Nakamichi has for sale on eBay, and even for under $900 it comes preloaded with the new (SSE / Atmos) code.

They really don't owe us anything. The fact that they are giving us the new code is almost a fluke in today's market, and they get nada for every single Shockwafe that exists already - zero, zilch.

Not exactly the best money making proposition for them, but we are going to get free updates and code for existing products. These days that in itself is unheard of. Be grateful, quit yer bitchin'.
Nakamichi is amazing for doing that. They have a great product and earned a customer for life in me. They put Samsung to shame.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DavAbq and ari821 like this.
post #3697 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Does Apple, Microsoft/XBOX, Samsung, LG, Visio, charge for updates on devices less than a year old? No! You are so disconnected from reality! Look at yourself in the mirror and repeat, “this is 2019, free updates that make products work are the norm.”
post #3698 of 5483 Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Does Apple, Microsoft/XBOX, Samsung, LG, Visio, charge for updates on devices less than a year old? No! You are so disconnected from reality! Look at yourself in the mirror and repeat, “this is 2019, free updates that make products work are the norm.”
Aside from Xbox, which charges a $14.99 fee to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, I am unaware of any other manufacturer who has offered a free (or cheap) upgrade to give their product Dolby Atmos capability.

I do seem to remember that Denon(?) offers an upgrade, but they charged at least $100 for it. It's not like Dolby is licensing this stuff for free.

Edit: in 2014, when Atmos was first introduced to the home theater market, Pioneer and Onkyo both released a free atmos firmware update for their top 3 models of recievers. I didn't see any other results, but I didn't dig all that deep.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-20-2019 at 01:29 AM.
post #3699 of 5483 Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Aside from Xbox, which charges a $14.99 fee to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, I am unaware of any other manufacturer who has offered a free (or cheap) upgrade to give their product Dolby Atmos capability.

I do seem to remember that Denon(?) offers an upgrade, but they charged at least $100 for it. It's not like Dolby is licensing this stuff for free.

Edit: in 2014, when Atmos was first introduced to the home theater market, Pioneer and Onkyo both released a free atmos firmware update for their top 3 models of recievers. I didn't see any other results, but I didn't dig all that deep.

Pretty sure the dolby atmos they charge for is headphones the home theather atmos is free i used it with my sk10y before it didn't cost me a dime.
post #3700 of 5483 Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Pretty sure the dolby atmos they charge for is headphones the home theather atmos is free i used it with my sk10y before it didn't cost me a dime.
This is correct and I agree Nakamichi is top notch taking care of early adopters. They could have charged and did not. Love the 9.2 and love the company!
DavAbq likes this.
post #3701 of 5483 Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
did the 7.2 firmware drop yet or do they usually release it EOM?
post #3702 of 5483 Old 04-20-2019, 11:39 AM

It hasn't dropped yet. I'm not sure if they will do an email "beta" drop first, or if they will just put it right on the site. Hopefully we won't get five pages of teething problems with the upgrade like the 9.2 folks had.
Edit: If i remember correctly, they were planning to release at the end of March, and it got pushed back to mid April, and we'll probably get it towards the end of April, beginning of May.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #3703 of 5483 Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
It hasn't dropped yet. I'm not sure if they will do an email "beta" drop first, or if they will just put it right on the site. Hopefully we won't get five pages of teething problems with the upgrade like the 9.2 folks had.
Edit: If i remember correctly, they were planning to release at the end of March, and it got pushed back to mid April, and we'll probably get it towards the end of April, beginning of May.
I've been in touch w Naka for a while now and the last few times I've spoken via email, the last being about 2 weeks ago, they have continued to say the beta version will be out by the end of April.... Take it for what it's worth however as the have consistently pushed it back a few times already now
post #3704 of 5483 Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfjr View Post
Hi folks. Over the couple of months I've had the 9.2 Ultra with the upgraded 3.1 firmware I have noticed an issue with audio on xbox1x. Sometimes the sound drops out for a few seconds as if you mute and unmute. Sometimes instead it becomes corrupted or distorted where I have to switch HDMI inputs and switch back again to get it to re-negotiate and fix itself.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so were you able to resolve it?

I have bitstream/atmos enabled on xbox1x default settings on the soundbar (did both soft and hard reset).

I am using belkin 48Gbps cables as well if that means anything.
I have seen this using Roku ultra. It seems to happen on material that has dolby digital plus. Mine just drops out for a few seconds and then comes back. I am waiting for a newer firmware to see if it improves 2019 sse shows
New Improvements in Firmware 3.2
Improves overall system playback performance for better playback experience
Improves overall system compatibility for content devices (LG Blu-ray players, Direct TV and other Set Top Boxes)

. On nak site it says:

From time to time, the data transmission may not be 100 percent perfect due to multiple reasons such as network speed inconsistency and variable data bit-rate of the content. For streaming and broadcast content, video signal is always prioritized over audio, thereby causing potential intermittent audio drop outs for a very short period of time. This is especially prominent when it comes to any high resolution content, which requires more intensive processing power and bandwidth.
post #3705 of 5483 Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Are these wireless?
post #3706 of 5483 Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Are these wireless?
The subwoofers (one subwoofer for 7.1 or two subwoofers for 7.2 and 9.2 systems) are wireless. The surround speakers plug into the subwoofers with long thin RCA cables.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #3707 of 5483 Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop2020 View Post
Shop2020, It’s not an update. It’s a new feature. An update would be if it had Atmos, and updated it. Let’s see all your fancy companies adding 5G at no charge. Huh? They adding 8K to your tv for free? Where’s your comment now?? Grow up.
I have to agree. Let's not forget that they are also adding Dolby Vision passthrough as well, and SSE (though SSE might just be a fancy way of saying "we got Atmos to work!")

I do have a question for 9.2 owners here. Aside from Atmos content, did any of you notice an overall improvement in sound quality/spatial effects from non-Atmos/DTS:X sources when you upgraded your firmware? Something that could be pointed directly at Nakamichi's SSE (Surround Spatial Engine) processing?
post #3708 of 5483 Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Apple TV 4K boxes got a free Atmos update, FYI.
post #3709 of 5483 Old 04-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Shop2020, It’s not an update. It’s a new feature. An update would be if it had Atmos, and updated it. Let’s see all your fancy companies adding 5G at no charge. Huh? They adding 8K to your tv for free? Where’s your comment now?? Grow up.
So if you own an iPhone (hardware), you never upgrade the IOS (Free)? The free upgrade provides fixes, new features, security fixes, etc. The 9.2 system was advertised as having a free upcoming ATMOS firmware at time of purchase, so it is intrinsic that it was free. Look in the mirror and repeat, “free firmware, doesn’t work with major companies such as LG, XBOX, Apple.” If it did, this forum would not exist!
post #3710 of 5483 Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So if you own an iPhone (hardware), you never upgrade the IOS (Free)? The free upgrade provides fixes, new features, security fixes, etc. The 9.2 system was advertised as having a free upcoming ATMOS firmware at time of purchase, so it is intrinsic that it was free. Look in the mirror and repeat, “free firmware, doesn’t work with major companies such as LG, XBOX, Apple.” If it did, this forum would not exist!
The truth will set you free! Don’t be silent in China...
post #3711 of 5483 Old 04-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Apple TV 4K boxes got a free Atmos update, FYI.
I was just looking for audio recievers/soundbars, mostly. Using a TV's built in speakers for atmos is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo. Yes, it's an upgrade...but...anybody with any other alternative will still choose something else. It wouldn't surprise me if a stereo soundbar with subwoofer still sounded better.

Edit: so I did some more digging, because it didn't make sense to me. The Atmos in the apple tv is for streaming services...namely, itunes movies (plus netflix, hulu, etc). So functionally, it works like atmos does in the xbox. You still need an atmos capable reciever or soundbar to take advantage of it.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-22-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #3712 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The newest firmware 3.2 is available on 4/12. But it only can use for nakamichi shockwafe ultra 9.2.4 SSE (2019)
On February, I remember they said, the hardware is totally same on ultra 9.2.4 dts:x 2018 and 9.2.4 SSE (2019). We can upgrade by firmware change..

But, now is different. 2018 DTSX model cant upgrade to the newest firmware 3.2...

Have any one know how to do this?
post #3713 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

I just noticed that the 2019 9.2 system is available on Amazon. That’s new in the past few days.

post #3714 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I just noticed that the 2019 9.2 system is available on Amazon. That’s new in the past few days.
i saw naka post on FB saying they are now available last night
post #3715 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Does anyone know if we 2018 9.2 owners are going to get a firmware upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2?

LG 55C6P OLED Display/Apple TV 4K/2019 Roku Ultra
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console
post #3716 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Does anyone know if we 2018 9.2 owners are going to get a firmware upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2?
I’m wondering this as well. I recently had an issue with both audio and video dropouts while watching a 4K Blu-ray and wasn’t sure if it was related to the tv, Soundbar, or 4K player. FW 3.2 release notes mention better compatibility with LG players, so I’m hoping to be able to try it out
post #3717 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 張俊欽 View Post
The newest firmware 3.2 is available on 4/12. But it only can use for nakamichi shockwafe ultra 9.2.4 SSE (2019)
On February, I remember they said, the hardware is totally same on ultra 9.2.4 dts:x 2018 and 9.2.4 SSE (2019). We can upgrade by firmware change..

But, now is different. 2018 DTSX model cant upgrade to the newest firmware 3.2...

Have any one know how to do this?

hmmmm something fishy is going on here...
post #3718 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

From an email exchange with Nakamichi support this morning...this was the response to a direct question about 3.2 firmware on the 2018 9.2 system.

“​We are looking to release the 3.2 firmware for our 2018 model very soon. Kindly check back with us by the end of this month.

​​Regards
Alberto”

post #3719 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
not sure if anyone saw this but firmware 3.2 is available for the 7.2 system now. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/72-dtsx-sse-firmware-upgrade
post #3720 of 5483 Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
not sure if anyone saw this but firmware 3.2 is available for the 7.2 system now. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade
Looks like I'll be busy after work.🙂
Thank you for posting that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page