Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1331Likes

post #3721 of 5329 Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
From an email exchange with Nakamichi support this morning...this was the response to a direct question about 3.2 firmware on the 2018 9.2 system.

“​We are looking to release the 3.2 firmware for our 2018 model very soon. Kindly check back with us by the end of this month.

​​Regards
Alberto”

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 5329 Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
not sure if anyone saw this but firmware 3.2 is available for the 7.2 system now. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/72-dtsx-sse-firmware-upgrade
post #3723 of 5329 Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
not sure if anyone saw this but firmware 3.2 is available for the 7.2 system now. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade
Looks like I'll be busy after work.🙂
Thank you for posting that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 5329 Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM

Liked: 1
ok never mind scratch that. maybe that page is still in the works. the firmware download link takes you to the 9.2 download. though i’d say 7.2 is just around the corner if they’ve got the page for it all payed out
post #3725 of 5329 Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
ok never mind scratch that. maybe that page is still in the works. the firmware download link takes you to the 9.2 download. though i’d say 7.2 is just around the corner if they’ve got the page for it all laid out
They most likely just copied and pasted from the 9.2 page, and forgot to change the link, but I did try changing the 9 in the link address to a 7, just to see if they put the wrong link in...no luck. Lol. Another couple days won't matter, but it would be nice if they would get it up before the weekend.
post #3726 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
From an email exchange with Nakamichi support this morning...this was the response to a direct question about 3.2 firmware on the 2018 9.2 system.

“​We are looking to release the 3.2 firmware for our 2018 model very soon. Kindly check back with us by the end of this month.

​​Regards
Alberto”
Same here. They said they are finalizing the firmware and should be releasing it pretty soon. I guess they should be releasing it really soon.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #3727 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Has anyone been able to understand why in the HELL this is not available in Canada? Travesty........

Kev
post #3728 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
Has anyone been able to understand why in the HELL this is not available in Canada? Travesty........

Kev
Warranty only covers in US. That is why.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #3729 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
Warranty only covers in US. That is why.

That really does suck. Looks like a terrific soundbar that checks a lot of boxes.

Kev
post #3730 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

​​Regards
Alberto”
Good to hear about this...I have been experiencing rather long sound silence (up to ~10 seconds) when switching from one source to my DirecTV C61K 4K client box. I am hoping the new firmware improves on this, if not totally eliminating the issue. This is the only issue I have had with firmware 3.1 which I have had installed since Jan 1.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #3731 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
That really does suck. Looks like a terrific soundbar that checks a lot of boxes.

Kev
I live in south Korea and gave up that warranty and bought one. Happy with it so far.

post #3732 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I will be very upset if Nakamichi pulls a fast one and doesn't release the firmware for the 7.1 PRO DTS:X as it's been stated on their website for months and was the reason I bought it.

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...resource-guide
post #3733 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
I will be very upset if Nakamichi pulls a fast one and doesn't release the firmware for the 7.1 PRO DTS:X as it's been stated on their website for months and was the reason I bought it.

why would you say that?
post #3734 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
why would you say that?

Just commenting based on above posts saying something fishy is going on.
post #3735 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
Just commenting based on above posts saying something fishy is going on.
maybe the 7.1 will get the 32 version instead of the 31 next month
post #3736 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
FINALLY AVAILABLE....

Looks like they placed the 9.2.4 2019 version of the Ultra on Amazon today. Would love to hear how it works with Dolby Vision and Xbox and ARC. Need to see if the new capacitors speed up the switching and help some of the problems the earlier models experienced with some of the Home Theater equipment floating around out there.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #3737 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nakamichi 7.2 Soundbar

Disappointed!

I must say I had high hopes. The perfect solution to a smaller room. She thinks it looked good and unobtrusive. I ordered off Amazon last week. Arrived in 48 hours. Installed it over the weekend. It came with the 2.1 firmware.

I have a Samsung 55" smart tv vintage 2017. Spectrum cable box. A Samsung Blu-ray DVD player and a streaming media box. Completed the HDMI cable connections per the installation guide.

Exhibited strange operation on anything other than the Spectrum cable box. Spectrum is fine, plays several modes. When changing channels, sometimes the 7.2 gets behind on signal processing, but catches up - Lip Syncing, different audio modes. Now the fun begins:

1. Severe lag between changing HDMI inputs 2,3,4 - Charter, Streaming media and Blu-ray respectively. 10 seconds or longer. The Blu-Ray is invisible to the 7.2. After 10 seconds, it changes on its own back to the Spectrum Box (HDMI2). Called Nakamichi support. They had me move the HMDI inputs to the devices in different order. No change. Then, they had me disconnect everything from the HDMI cables, unplug each box to the 120v power, wait 15 minutes, then connect everything back including cables and 120v connections. No change. This is a big red flag. When the troubleshooting procedure is to re-boot everything....just sayin.

2. The Smart tv works fine when playing HDMI sources, however smart sources - Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Has no audio. I have to power off the 7.2 and unplug the power to it to watch streaming services on the TV.

3. Streaming media box does not play - it is stuck on it's splash screen. It looks like it has just been powered up.

4. Power on/off seems to take 4-8 seconds for the single LED to wink off. Not sure why the difference. Then it takes another 10 seconds for signal de-coding and the front panel to start showing things. 'Dolby', etc. Then mayne another 3-5 for a video to appear. Really?

My guess is that there has been inadequate testing of this new firmware with various devices beyond a cable box.

I'm ready to send it back and let you guys sort it out. She is pissed with all the plugging and un-plugging and powering up/off. She just wants to watch tv, like we used to with the visio. I don't want to be an Alpha/Beta tester. Just a viewer.

Last edited by dtebh; 04-24-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #3738 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtebh View Post
Disappointed!

I must say I had high hopes. The perfect solution to a smaller room. She thinks it looked good and unobtrusive. I ordered off Amazon last week. Arrived in 48 hours. Installed it over the weekend. It came with the 2.1 firmware.

I have a Samsung 55" smart tv vintage 2017. Spectrum cable box. A Samsung Blu-ray DVD player and a streaming media box. Completed the HDMI cable connections per the installation guide.

Exhibited strange operation on anything other than the Spectrum cable box. Spectrum is fine, plays several modes. When changing channels, sometimes the 7.2 gets behind on signal processing, but catches up - Lip Syncing, different audio modes. Now the fun begins:

1. Severe lag between changing HDMI inputs 2,3,4 - Charter, Streaming media and Blu-ray respectively. 10 seconds or longer. The Blu-Ray is invisible to the 7.2. After 10 seconds, it changes on its own back to the Spectrum Box (HDMI2). Called Nakamichi support. They had me move the HMDI inputs to the devices in different order. No change. Then, they had me disconnect everything from the HDMI cables, unplug each box to the 120v power, wait 15 minutes, then connect everything back including cables and 120v connections. No change. This is a big red flag. When the troubleshooting procedure is to re-boot everything....just sayin.

2. The Smart tv works fine when playing HDMI sources, however smart sources - Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Has no audio. I have to power off the 7.2 and unplug the power to it to watch streaming services on the TV.

3. Streaming media box does not play - it is stuck on it's splash screen. It looks like it has just been powered up.

4. Power on/off seems to take 4-8 seconds for the single LED to wink off. Not sure why the difference. Then it takes another 10 seconds for signal de-coding and the front panel to start showing things. 'Dolby', etc. Then mayne another 3-5 for a video to appear. Really?

My guess is that there has been inadequate testing of this new firmware with various devices beyond a cable box.

I'm ready to send it back and let you guys sort it out. She is pissed with all the plugging and un-plugging and powering up/off. She just wants to watch tv, like we used to with the visio. I don't want to be an Alpha/Beta tester. Just a viewer.
I'm running the same firmware on my 7.2. Your experience is not normal, fyi. A two-three second delay when switching inputs is normal...everything else you are experiencing is not.

Edit: Doing a hard reset is step 1 in their process of troubleshooting. Since it works fine with one of your devices, I'd be willing to bet it's an issue with the CEC settings or A/V settings on your other devices...possibly combined with HDMI cables that are not 'quite' good enough.

The sheer number of settings on the Naka, plus all the ways those settings combine with the settings on other devices, make setup a pain. It took me almost a month and two weeks of emails to sort out my issues. Having sorted them out, I'm delighted with the soundbar system.

Issue 1: my tv had an audio boost feature that had to be turned off.

Issue 2: All my audio settings on each device had to be switched to bitstream.

Issue 3: One of my HDMI cables had to be switched out.

Issue 4: My cable box had to be run directly into the soundbar (due to static sounds and bass sound dropouts)

If it makes you feel any better, my wife gave me hell for "pissing away $739," and insisted that I return it. She has since acknowledged that it was "worth it." ...Finally.

I'll admit that I would have returned it had there been any other system with Atmos, in the same price range, wattage, and with equivalent features...but there isn't. I'm glad I stuck it out, and once you get your issues sorted, you will be too.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-24-2019 at 10:46 PM.
post #3739 of 5329 Old 04-24-2019, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello folks,

I'm thinking about getting the older 7.2, but had a few of questions:

1. Is it possible to purchase additional rears later to make it 9.2?

2. Did they ever clear up the Dolby Vision issue? (They said the hardware could support it, but had not released it at one point.)

3. Had anyone been able to hear both the 7.2 and 9.2? If so, aren't we taking a massive difference in sound quality? Are there any additional differences other than the 2 additional rears and larger subs?

Thank you for baring with the newbie!
post #3740 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMoogle View Post
Hello folks,

I'm thinking about getting the older 7.2, but had a few of questions:

1. Is it possible to purchase additional rears later to make it 9.2?

2. Did they ever clear up the Dolby Vision issue? (They said the hardware could support it, but had not released it at one point.)

3. Had anyone been able to hear both the 7.2 and 9.2? If so, aren't we taking a massive difference in sound quality? Are there any additional differences other than the 2 additional rears and larger subs?

Thank you for baring with the newbie!
1. Nakamichi has said that it is not possible to upgrade a 7.2 to a 9.2 system. Aside from firmware differences, the 7.2 has one RCA jack in each subwoofer, and the 9.2 has two in each subwoofer.

2. Dolby vision is supported in the 9.2 DTS:X (with a firmware upgrade). It will also be supported in the 7.2 DTS:X in the forthcoming firmware upgrade at the end of this month.

3. While I do not own multiple versions of this soundbar, there is a poster in this thread who does. If you scroll back a few pages, he explains the difference. He said the sound from the 9.2 was more immersive and gives a better "surround" experience than the 7.2, but that 7.2 owners have nothing to complain about. He purchased the 7.1 and liked it so much he bought the 7.2, and liked it so much he bought the 9.2. Hopefully he sees your post and answers #3 better than I can.

As far as hardware differences...no. Bigger subs, and four extra speakers between those two extra rears. There's more going on with the software because of the hardware, and bigger is almost always better when it comes to subwoofers. You'll get a better bass response from a bigger speaker, and it can be turned up louder before you start getting distortion. The flow and directionality of sound will be better from the 9.2 as well, since the sound can be mapped to more speakers.

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-25-2019 at 05:36 AM.
post #3741 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Seems my choice was made for me. I was looking at refurbished models on eBay. The 9.2 sold out between the time I posted the questions and now. There are only a handful of 7.2s left. I don't want to risk missing out completely while waiting to see if the 9.2 comes back into stock.
The refurb 7.2 is $599 plus 39.99 shipping. Soooooo ... $160 difference after shipping.
The 9.2 was $850 plus $60 shipping.

The wife will be less likely to kill me for the expenditure as well. 😀
post #3742 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
FINALLY AVAILABLE....

Looks like they placed the 9.2.4 2019 version of the Ultra on Amazon today. Would love to hear how it works with Dolby Vision and Xbox and ARC. Need to see if the new capacitors speed up the switching and help some of the problems the earlier models experienced with some of the Home Theater equipment floating around out there.

You will not get ATMOS over arc from what I have been told. The limitation is in the HDMI port controller. It can't handle the bandwidth required. With the latest 3.2 firmware I suggest plugging every device that has ATMOS support directly into the soundbar.
post #3743 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMoogle View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Seems my choice was made for me. I was looking at refurbished models on eBay. The 9.2 sold out between the time I posted the questions and now. There are only a handful of 7.2s left. I don't want to risk missing out completely while waiting to see if the 9.2 comes back into stock.
The refurb 7.2 is $599 plus 39.99 shipping. Soooooo ... $160 difference after shipping.
The 9.2 was $850 plus $60 shipping.

The wife will be less likely to kill me for the expenditure as well. 😀

That is a pretty good deal on the 7.2. Grab the lastest firmware for it. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade

I can't say the 9.2 refurb won't come back on ebay from time to time but I think they were just getting rid of stock they had before releasing the 2019 version. What you will end up waiting on is the 2019 version refurb next year or you can get a 7.2 now. Or perhaps post in the classifieds asking for someone to sell you their used 9.2

Last edited by mpfjr; 04-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #3744 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfjr View Post
That is a pretty good deal on the 7.2. Grab the lastest firmware for it. https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...rmware-upgrade

I can't say the 9.2 refurb won't come back on ebay from time to time but I think they were just getting rid of stock they had before releasing the 2019 version. What you will end up waiting on is the 2019 version refurb next year or you can get a 7.2 now. Or perhaps post in the classifieds asking for someone to sell you their used 9.2

Man, that link was available for a bit and then they took it down. Was anybody able to download it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3745 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praag View Post
Quote:

Man, that link was available for a bit and then they took it down. Was anybody able to download it?

Refurbished units from ebay come with the latest firmware already installed.

As for the "link," if you clicked on it, it took you to the 9.2 firmware upgrade. The 7.2 atmos firmware has not been released yet, but at least we know they have the page ready to go.

Edit: Nakamichi's response to me:

"​The 7.2 Atmos firmware is scheduled to be released by the 30th of April. Once it has released, you will be able to find the firmware at the link below."

Last edited by PLANofMAN; 04-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #3746 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post

As for the "link," if you clicked on it, it took you to the 9.2 firmware upgrade. The 7.2 atmos firmware has not been released yet, but at least we know they have the page ready to go.

"​The 7.2 Atmos firmware is scheduled to be released by the 30th of April. Once it has released, you will be able to find the firmware at the link below."

I clicked the link obviously in order to copy/paste it above. Took me to a page that clearly said 7.2 atmos firmware. I did NOT however actually download the file since I have the 9.2Ultra and don't need it.

I assume they believe there will be no further changes to the 3.2 firmware but are waiting until all beta testers report back zero problems before they go live. Someone must have jumped the gun and updated the website and had to pull it down again. Too bad. Maybe someone has it and can PM people a google drive download link?
post #3747 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I clicked the link obviously in order to copy/paste it above. Took me to a page that clearly said 7.2 atmos firmware. I did NOT however actually download the file since I have the 9.2Ultra and don't need it.

I assume they believe there will be no further changes to the 3.2 firmware but are waiting until all beta testers report back zero problems before they go live. Someone must have jumped the gun and updated the website and had to pull it down again. Too bad. Maybe someone has it and can PM people a google drive download link?
I did click on the file, and it took me to the 9.2's firmware download page. The 7.2 atmos firmware was never uploaded to the website.
post #3748 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praag View Post
Quote:

Is is very good news! So within the next week or so, but it probably will not be posted on the website so you may have to let Naka know that you would like to be included in the beta!
post #3749 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Liked: 15
I'm thinking about ordering the 7.1 refurbished. Has anyone had any issue buying their refurbished units? I wonder if I should pay the extra for new one. I also heard they are picky about which HDMI cables you use. What are some goodHDMI cables to use. I currently have Mediabridge high speed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TechoGeek; 04-25-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #3750 of 5329 Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post
I'm thinking about ordering the 7.1 refurbished. Has anyone had any issue buying their refurbished units? I wonder if I should pay the extra for new one. I also heard they are picky about which HDMI cables you use. What are some goodHDMI cables to use. I currently have Mediabridge high speed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I bought a refurbished 9.2. No issues with the unit itself. The box was in rough shape when it arrived, but all components were pristine. All the parts, manuals, etc. were there. Shipping took about 2 weeks and there was limited communication until it actually shipped, but it arrived when they said it would.

I’m using these cables from Monoprice, but only for 1080p. I don’t have a 4K TV. https://www.monoprice.com/product/in...seq=1&format=2
TechoGeek likes this.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page