Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1330Likes

Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a refurbished 7.2. No issues that were not caused by myself, no fault of the hardware. I used monoprice slimline high speed cables.

You do need to read the ebay page carefully, since they do offer scratch and dent sales (at an even deeper discount) from time to time. A refurb will look pristine, scratch and dent...not so much.

One guy here got a refurb that had blown speakers, which he replaced himself. They refunded him shipping and a good portion of the sale price. His experience is not typical.
TechoGeek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, by the time I went on eBay to order they had one more 7.1 left. I'm keeping my figures crossed that the new firmware is preloaded.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post
Thanks, by the time I went on eBay to order they had one more 7.1 left. I'm keeping my figures crossed that the new firmware is preloaded.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
i bought my 7.1 from them on ebay 6 weeks ago and it had the original firmware loaded, but they did provide the latest (2.1) on a USB drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Dtebh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtebh View Post
Disappointed!

I must say I had high hopes. The perfect solution to a smaller room. She thinks it looked good and unobtrusive. I ordered off Amazon last week. Arrived in 48 hours. Installed it over the weekend. It came with the 2.1 firmware.

I have a Samsung 55" smart tv vintage 2017. Spectrum cable box. A Samsung Blu-ray DVD player and a streaming media box. Completed the HDMI cable connections per the installation guide.

Exhibited strange operation on anything other than the Spectrum cable box. Spectrum is fine, plays several modes. When changing channels, sometimes the 7.2 gets behind on signal processing, but catches up - Lip Syncing, different audio modes. Now the fun begins:

1. Severe lag between changing HDMI inputs 2,3,4 - Charter, Streaming media and Blu-ray respectively. 10 seconds or longer. The Blu-Ray is invisible to the 7.2. After 10 seconds, it changes on its own back to the Spectrum Box (HDMI2). Called Nakamichi support. They had me move the HMDI inputs to the devices in different order. No change. Then, they had me disconnect everything from the HDMI cables, unplug each box to the 120v power, wait 15 minutes, then connect everything back including cables and 120v connections. No change. This is a big red flag. When the troubleshooting procedure is to re-boot everything....just sayin.

2. The Smart tv works fine when playing HDMI sources, however smart sources - Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Has no audio. I have to power off the 7.2 and unplug the power to it to watch streaming services on the TV.

3. Streaming media box does not play - it is stuck on it's splash screen. It looks like it has just been powered up.

4. Power on/off seems to take 4-8 seconds for the single LED to wink off. Not sure why the difference. Then it takes another 10 seconds for signal de-coding and the front panel to start showing things. 'Dolby', etc. Then mayne another 3-5 for a video to appear. Really?

My guess is that there has been inadequate testing of this new firmware with various devices beyond a cable box.

I'm ready to send it back and let you guys sort it out. She is pissed with all the plugging and un-plugging and powering up/off. She just wants to watch tv, like we used to with the visio. I don't want to be an Alpha/Beta tester. Just a viewer.
DTEBH, can understand your frustration. Mine was the first 7.2 batch sent and I drove myself crazy believing that all the device manufacturers got the CEC to play nice with each other. Finally turned ALL CEC OFF in every device. Then everything worked fine with its own remote. With CEC every device tries to steal control and it’s a mess. (For example, if watching tv and you turn on blue ray player to remove a disk or insert one to prepare near the end of your show, the player steals the tv from the source you are watching just as the plot climaxes.) The only CEC I have turned on now is Samsung tv, Naki sound bar and DTV. Everything else I control manually. The only problem I still have is half the time I must turn the sound bar on manually. And yep, the CECs can still get out of sync with tv on, dtv off or vice versa and sound bar favoring one or the other. Then it’s acrobatics with original device remotes trying to get them back in sync. But this is the industry problem, not Naki. Good luck.

Last edited by DavAbq; 04-26-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Clarification by example
Old 04-26-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone order the NEW 2019 9.2.4 yet. Anxious to hear how it handles switching and CEC.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The 2018 7.2 and 9.2 refurbished are back up on eBay.

7.2 for $600+40 shipping -- 4 left
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...%2F11008252665

9.2 for $850+60 shipping -- 4 left
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-S...s/273803460031
Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
3.2 FW has been released for 2018 9.2.4!!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Exciting stuff Sloanin! Anyone update their 9.2 2018 Nakamichi Yet?

Any tips to make installation easier? Any noticeable improvements? Any negatives?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloannin View Post
3.2 FW has been released for 2018 9.2.4!!
Thanks for the heads up. Off to download the update.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just updated to 3.2! So far so great. Seems they fixed the Amazon fire stick issues. Everything seems to be working like it should. Hope the DirecTV issue is fixed as well
Old 04-27-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The 7.2 is also available!!! I just got the email I was on their beta list so if you would like to try it shoot them an email!! Will download and install later this afternoon and report back!!!!
john morris likes this.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
The 7.2 is also available!!! I just got the email I was on their beta list so if you would like to try it shoot them an email!! Will download and install later this afternoon and report back!!!!
awesome, cant wait for the 7.1 upgrade....soon
atfree and limitz like this.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
awesome, cant wait for the 7.1 upgrade....soon
Me2

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Old 04-27-2019, 09:09 AM

For those that have the 9.2, what surround settings do you have it at? This is all new language to me after the update.. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
Me2

I have it as well. i have a question. How do I go about hooking up the soundbar with the latest firmware without using ARC? I want to get the full benefit of the Atmos update.

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john morris View Post
Quote:
Me2

I have it as well. i have a question. How do I go about hooking up the soundbar with the latest firmware without using ARC? I want to get the full benefit of the Atmos update.

Thanks in advance,
U still use arc to the TV but u connect all your externals (DVD, cable, Xbox ect) directly to the soundbar and use the soundbar to change sources
Old 04-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
U still use arc to the TV but u connect all your externals (DVD, cable, Xbox ect) directly to the soundbar and use the soundbar to change sources
Thanks, that is how I had it initially. I was thinking I had to something else.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Just installed the 3.2 updated on my 2018 9.2 bar. Everything seems to be working working well including dolby digital and dd plus over arc with my Samsung q8fn. That wasn't working for me in firmware 3.1. I'll keep testing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
OK just updated my 2018 9.2 system from firmware 3.1 to 3.2. As always I followed Nak’s upgrade instructions to the letter.

I am pleased to report that my one major gripe- the long sometimes 10 second audio delay when switching from one source to my DirecTV C61K 4K client box-is now *much* improved. The audio now locks 2-3 seconds after the video via ARC after switching. All other surround functions sound exactly as before the upgrade. The “Amaze” Dolby Atmos demo lives up to its name...incredible!

Looking forward to screening the new Alien 4K disc tonight!
dfkimbro likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K

Last edited by RickD_99; 04-27-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that is how I had it initially. I was thinking I had to do something else.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Me2

Me3

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
OK just updated my 2018 9.2 system from firmware 3.1 to 3.2. As always I followed Nak’s upgrade instructions to the letter.

I am pleased to report that my one major gripe- the long sometimes 10 second audio delay when switching from one source to my DirecTV C61K 4K client box-is now *much* improved. The audio now locks 2-3 seconds after the video via ARC after switching. All other surround functions sound exactly as before the upgrade. The “Amaze” Dolby surround demo lives up to its name...incredible!

Looking forward to screening the new Alien 4K disc tonight!
That’s promising. I will have to wait a few days to update my 9.2 to the 3.2 firmware (maybe next weekend).

Has anyone with a Shield TV who had a 4-5 second audio lag when starting a DD+ video (Netflix or other streaming service) tried the new firmware yet? I’m hoping for an improvement there too.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sigh, anyone know if there's a fix if you can't update (or downgrade) Firmware? I'm only getting the "No FW) Message

I've used USB drives I used in the past, including three other ones I haven't. Tried Fat32 and Fat16.

I was using a Beta firmware as I was trying to resolve an issue with my Chromecast Ultra when plugged directly into the Soundbar that started since FW3.0

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Usually reinstalling the firmware on the flashdrive will fix the issue.

It's always a good idea to download the previous version as a backup, just in case you want to switch back.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:45 PM

I've done that. I've tried older versions, the same version, newer versions, all getting the same NO FW.

I've also reset the sound bar and powered off multiple times.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj882755 View Post
Sigh, anyone know if there's a fix if you can't update (or downgrade) Firmware? I'm only getting the "No FW) Message

I've used USB drives I used in the past, including three other ones I haven't. Tried Fat32 and Fat16.

I was using a Beta firmware as I was trying to resolve an issue with my Chromecast Ultra when plugged directly into the Soundbar that started since FW3.0

Are the ones you tried USB 2.0 or 3.0 drives? I seem to recall trying a couple of newer 3.0 drives that did not work before settling on an old Lexar 2.0 8GB Drive formatted to FAT32 which ultimately did work. I even printed out a Nak label to put on the Lexar drive and put it in a safe place to use for future updates!

Definitely puzzling (not to mention annoying) characteristic of this sound bar...

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
Old 04-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Make sure you unzip the file using 7zip or other unzip program.

Also, reinstalling the firmware on the flashdrive has fixed the issue for other people experiencing the same issue.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:50 PM

To clarify, I was using USB drives I've updated the Soundbar with too. Literally ones that had the FW on the drive when I went to replace it with 3.2. I've used older USB 2.0 8GB to see if it helps.

I've gone through 5 firmware updates since getting the bar in December. I'm not new to the process. Most of them Beta/Lab firmware to try to resolve the aforementioned issue with my Chromecast Ultra and Bravia X900F using Enhanced HDMI mode (you know the mode that allows HDR)

Not sure if there's anything realistically I can do other than just waiting for support. Hopefully hear from them tomorrow when they open back.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj882755 View Post

I have an old drive reserved for FW upgrades. Make sure you reformat before downloading the update. Never failed me so far.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
Old 04-27-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
Make sure you unzip the file using 7zip or other unzip program.

Also, reinstalling the firmware on the flashdrive has fixed the issue for other people experiencing the same issue.
I'm going to try the same firmware on it again and report back

I may have pulled from the wrong one, since the Beta FW 3.1 I've been using doesn't really call it out. I assumed it was the last one I got from support but the timestamp on the zip file may have been altered.

FYi, I did reformat the drives after get the NO FW Message. Usually not needed.

As I said, I also forced formatted into FAT16 to see if it was this firmware acting up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar