Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1304Likes

post #361 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
I agree, even Vizio soundbars are kinda simulated-based & doesn't work as well as REAL 5.1 surround sound. I'm still debating whether I should go for the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 DTS:X or get a nice 5.1 receiver (either Pioneer or Denon) with speakers for about $200-300 less.

The upmixing is important too. I am very satisfied with dts neural X upmixing on 9.2 as it does handle all kinds of incoming audio content really well.

I believe the consideration is depending on what’s the objective you are looking at. If you want an all in one that works in a simpler manner, 7.1 dtsx will be a good choice to enjoy discrete surround. Meanwhile, a set of nice av receiver and speaker can be a good start for future upgrade. But that’s “poisonous” as you will keep thinking of getting system upgrade by spending more money. Haha I had been through that pain. Not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zoland2020 likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Most sound bars use phase shifting to create an illusion. Beam forming requires multiples of the same drivers. Yamaha does beam forming as well as phase shifting on its YSP series but not the YAS series. The YSP series can do a decent job in rooms without walls, the YSP not as good. Although sometimes you have to tweak the YSP series manually.

I know YSP is technologically impressive but it has quite a fair bit of limitation in terms of placement and sweet spot. I think it was a good try.

I haven’t hear any YAS series with virtual X technology. I wonder how does it sounds. Nonetheless, it is all about virtualization and I do not have high hope on them.

Still trust discrete surround for more consistent result.

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #363 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitypwny View Post
Is anyone having issues with bluetooth having little to no bass from the Subwoofer? I just bought the 7.1 DTS-X and the sound via bluetooth is very tinny.

Try connecting a bluetooth device and playing a song you're familiar with and has a lot of bass.

You can try to activate stereo mode by pressing the stereo button on remote. It should sounds better in stereo mode. Bluetooth is transmitting in stereo and it is not with the most fantastic audio quality. Still, it is convenience to have wireless audio and you just have to play around the system a little bit more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
How "hearty" is the Nakamichi, WRT it's life expectancy, when compared to a traditional receiver and speaker setup? Yeah, I know you don't know the answer to that, but then neither do I.
No, I think the answer is clear. A comparable AVR setup will have a higher cost of entry but also considerably more upgrade potential, at the cost of simplicity and aesthetics. Nakamichi can't do anything with firmware upgrades beyond the capability of the hardware. But good speakers last a very long time, and upgrading a receiver 5 years down the road to keep up with new tech lets you retain your speaker investment.

This is why I personally find the 9.2 system - impressive as it is - less compelling than the more modest systems. At $1100, I'd be tempted to look at a discrete system - even one with very modestly sized speakers - to provide a foundation to build on in the future. But if others value the clean appearance and simplicity of the Nakamichi system, that's fine too. For me, the $500-$650 price point of the 7.1 systems are unbeatable values for audio, and convenient to boot.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #365 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
You can get a wider sweet spot with the Yamaha but it might require some tweaking. Also, the models with more drivers do better at this. Some only use 8 of their beam drivers and that limits what it can do. But something like the 5600 which uses 32 beam drivers for fronts and surrounds and 12 for Atmos can really have very wide sweet spot. Its huge limitations are older HDMI chips and size, that thing is monster. But any company which has a limited number of beam drivers is going to have limitations on what it can do. That's why the majority of them just use phase shifting. I'm personally not impressed with Virtual X. sounds OK on some material but it is not going to really wow anyone that has heard a real Atmos system. Think of it as pro-logic for height.

I haven't heard the Nakimichi yet but I like its design from an acoustics point of view. Two decent sized subs, helps with better seat to seat coverage as well as the subs being large enough to have respectable bass. Having surround speakers will always beat virtual/faux surround systems. The big disadvantage to this system is many who are considering sound bars don't want speakers around their room. This is not much different than a 7.2 receiver with a passive sound bar and surround/rear speakers and two subs except you don't have to wire all the speakers to the receiver. I'm not surprised many prefer this over the other sound bars, it has a lot going for it.
Micarina and Zoland2020 like this.
post #366 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
No, I think the answer is clear. A comparable AVR setup will have a higher cost of entry but also considerably more upgrade potential, at the cost of simplicity and aesthetics. Nakamichi can't do anything with firmware upgrades beyond the capability of the hardware. But good speakers last a very long time, and upgrading a receiver 5 years down the road to keep up with new tech lets you retain your speaker investment.

This is why I personally find the 9.2 system - impressive as it is - less compelling than the more modest systems. At $1100, I'd be tempted to look at a discrete system - even one with very modestly sized speakers - to provide a foundation to build on in the future. But if others value the clean appearance and simplicity of the Nakamichi system, that's fine too. For me, the $500-$650 price point of the 7.1 systems are unbeatable values for audio, and convenient to boot.
I agree with some of your observations, but not your conclusion. As compared to a true surround system, with separate speakers, the Nakamichi is far more compact… unless you look at mini satellite systems like the SVS, the Cambridge Audioa Minx, or the Gallo orb shaped speakers, and all of which are much more expensive in a system.

The Nakamichi is not at all expensively priced for a 9.2 system. In fact it is a great price. For $400-$500 more than a Soundbar which will not give an immersive experience, you have a fully fledged home theater that will last you for years. Your argument would be valid for more expensive Soundbar systems in the $2000-$3000 range.

Why is it more likely that Creative would be anymore upgradable than the Nakamichi?
post #367 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
As compared to a true surround system, with separate speakers, the Nakamichi is far more compact… unless you look at mini satellite systems like the SVS, the Cambridge Audioa Minx, or the Gallo orb shaped speakers, and all of which are much more expensive in a system.
Yes. I don't think we're disagreeing there. It would cost more (maybe significantly more) to buy a compact, high-quality discrete system. The difference is that you can - if you so desire - upgrade a true discrete system to include overhead Atmos speakers or whatever the next audio tech innovation happens to be. And you can do it while retaining your speakers, good examples of which will perform competitively for a long time.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my 7.1 Pro system. I don't want to spend multiple thousands of dollars for audio that will only shine on a small slice of the content we watch. But for those who do, a discrete system provides better upgrade paths. And one with slightly more spacious speakers should also provide better dynamics than the cramped drivers inside the Nakamichi bar, though I find my bar does a respectable enough job for my tastes.

Quote:
Why is it more likely that Creative would be any more upgradable than the Nakamichi?
I didn't say anything about Creative. If you mean one of their soundbars, it wouldn't. Any soundbar system is pretty well locked in place by whatever hardware is available at the time. The value of a discrete system is to decouple the investment in quality speakers (relatively stable) from the investment in AV processing (constantly changing).
post #368 of 5163 Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If one doesn't own a good AVR, then buying one with sufficient power to drive a good system with sufficient dynamics and low distortion, and building not a 7.1 system, but a 9.2 with two subwoofers will cost much more than the Nakamichi. Is this large expenditure worth some future upgrade possibility in an audio landscape that may change in all kind of unexpected way?. If you have room, and the money to chose great loudspeaker, then it's a fine option. But the Nakamichi is a bargain.
CoreyM and Micarina like this.
post #369 of 5163 Old 01-30-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I realize that different people buy systems for different needs. In my case, I have a dedicated home theater that I would sink my upgrade needs into.

I bought the Nakamichi for my 65" C7 in my family room. The reality is I do 95% of my watching on this system, so I wanted something better than I had in my Vizio soundbar but that fits cleanly into my space. It's a compromise solution but it's a pretty damn good one.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #370 of 5163 Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
I realize that different people buy systems for different needs. In my case, I have a dedicated home theater that I would sink my upgrade needs into.

I bought the Nakamichi for my 65" C7 in my family room. The reality is I do 95% of my watching on this system, so I wanted something better than I had in my Vizio soundbar but that fits cleanly into my space. It's a compromise solution but it's a pretty damn good one.
Is the compromise in terms of space utilization, or sound? What's your impression of the unit?
post #371 of 5163 Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the compromise in terms of space utilization, or sound? What's your impression of the unit?
I'm just mostly reflecting on that you are trading convenience and a relatively cord free set up for the sound quality you would get from a receiver or separates + full range speakers across the board.

For a living/family room set up, the latter was not an option and I think I get more discrete located sound than I would from some of the popular Atmos soundbar options. Plus in my research they had a lot of their own tradeoffs and I would actually sacrifice features from my trusty Vizio soundbar.

Things that I don't love? Well I wish there was an OSD/Menu system so I could see more detail about the system set up, what the incoming source was, how it was output, etc. I am getting surround from an unexpected source, and while I don't mind it at all, I would like to figure out where in the chain it comes from. I think it's definitely a bit less musical than my other soundbar but it's been tuned for movies/dialog up front and I haven't done a lot of experimentation with it. I also wish you could completely turn off rather than just dim the LED display - since I have OLED and a pretty dark room at night, I'd love to get total black. But this is a minor complaint.

The dual sub configuration is nice, and it is rich deep bass for a soundbar set up. I definitely will consider a dual sub setup in my dedicated space down the road.

Other things I love about this vs some of the other popular soundbars is number of inputs, plus they kept both optical and coax digital ins, plus analog aux and BT. This affords a lot of flexibility.
Micarina likes this.

post #372 of 5163 Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are getting surround sound from unexpected places, then there's the possibility that there is something amiss with your setup, which will affect overall sound quality.. I think you should reach out to the manufacturer.
post #373 of 5163 Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are getting surround sound from unexpected places, then there's the possibility that there is something amiss with your setup, which will affect overall sound quality.. I think you should reach out to the manufacturer.
I would but it doesn't really bother me that YouTube TV is getting surround sound despite having the DSP off on the Soundbar and the best of my knowledge being that YTTV does not have surround sound. It's more a question of curiosity and having an on screen display would give me more tools to figure out what's going on.

At the end of the day, I actually like the surround sound, simulated or otherwise. That's why I bought this system!
Micarina likes this.

post #374 of 5163 Old 02-01-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would but it doesn't really bother me that YouTube TV is getting surround sound despite having the DSP off on the Soundbar and the best of my knowledge being that YTTV does not have surround sound. It's more a question of curiosity and having an on screen display would give me more tools to figure out what's going on.

At the end of the day, I actually lik
e the surround sound, simulated or otherwise. That's why I bought this system!
The reason I brought it up is only because if it is anomalous it might be something in your setup that is affecting sound quality in other ways.
post #375 of 5163 Old 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The reason I brought it up is only because if it is anomalous it might be something in your setup that is affecting sound quality in other ways.
My understanding is they are releasing a new firmware for the Nakamichi Ultra 9.2 in a week or two. Is this correct? If I buy a retail unit now will it be the latest unit and eligible for the firmware?

Anyone know what the firmware fixes or addresses?

Thanks!

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #376 of 5163 Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Has anyone had the Samsung HW-k950 to compare to? I am wondering how much difference since the 950 is half the price right now. Right now I have the old Vizio 5.1 setup - one with the wide soundbar.
post #377 of 5163 Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got the 9.2 system today and I need some help. I have a Samsung KS8000 and in the manual for setting the audio on the tv, it says to change the hdmi audio format to bitstream. After that it says select audio format to do Dolby digital or dts, but for me those options are greyed out. I only have PCM or DTS Neo 2:5. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
post #378 of 5163 Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysocky View Post
I got the 9.2 system today and I need some help. I have a Samsung KS8000 and in the manual for setting the audio on the tv, it says to change the hdmi audio format to bitstream. After that it says select audio format to do Dolby digital or dts, but for me those options are greyed out. I only have PCM or DTS Neo 2:5. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

In order to enable the selection for Dolby digital or dts, you will need to play the content with the audio codec first. You can try to play Netflix from your tv that featuring 5.1 audio. You should be able to select Dolby digital for now.

post #379 of 5163 Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysocky View Post
DTS Neo 2.5
post #380 of 5163 Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Has anyone had the Samsung HW-k950 to compare to? I am wondering how much difference since the 950 is half the price right now. Right now I have the old Vizio 5.1 setup - one with the wide soundbar.
Would also love to know this since this is the soundbar I currently have and the lack of DTS:X or even DTS Master is dissapointing. At least with the Nakamichi I would be able to set my player to trasncode any TrueHD track to LPCM and not lose any sound quality (may lose some of the high effects though on an Atmos track)
Micarina and Zoland2020 like this.
post #381 of 5163 Old 02-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I just received a DTS:X demo blu-ray in the mail, not sure who sent it or why, there's no return address on the envelope. The only thing I can think of is I bought my Nakamichi system a couple of weeks ago and maybe Nakamichi sent it to me? Has anyone else received anything like this? It's got a bunch of DTS:X, DTS-HD sample movie clips which sound really awesome on my 7.1x.
post #382 of 5163 Old 02-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresm1126 View Post
Would also love to know this since this is the soundbar I currently have and the lack of DTS:X or even DTS Master is dissapointing. At least with the Nakamichi I would be able to set my player to trasncode any TrueHD track to LPCM and not lose any sound quality (may lose some of the high effects though on an Atmos track)
I am pretty sure the sacrifice of the high effect is definitely worth it. My 9.2 gives much more immersive surround effects than other soundbars I have heard so far
post #383 of 5163 Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
I just received a DTS:X demo blu-ray in the mail, not sure who sent it or why, there's no return address on the envelope. The only thing I can think of is I bought my Nakamichi system a couple of weeks ago and maybe Nakamichi sent it to me? Has anyone else received anything like this? It's got a bunch of DTS:X, DTS-HD sample movie clips which sound really awesome on my 7.1x.

I received one as well and had no idea why. I purchased the 7.2 Elite recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs
post #384 of 5163 Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I am pretty sure the sacrifice of the high effect is definitely worth it. My 9.2 gives much more immersive surround effects than other soundbars I have heard so far
Do you get any convincing simulated height effects when playing a dts x track or up mixing something else with the nakamichi? Not gonna lie, I'm a sucker for whenever I hear something fly above me when playing an Atmos soundtrack on my K950
post #385 of 5163 Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
I got one. Thanks for the reminder, I haven't used it.

post #386 of 5163 Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
I received one as well and had no idea why. I purchased the 7.2 Elite recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
I got one. Thanks for the reminder, I haven't used it.
Just registered my 9.2 purchased in January in hopes of getting this DTS demo disc as well!

I also have a September 2016 Atmos demo Blu-ray disc purchased from a UK vendor on eBay that sounds impressive in its own right though of course you don’t get the height effects from the demos that you would normally get from a full blown Atmos setup....

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #387 of 5163 Old 02-07-2018, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got the demo from them as well
I was so surprised when i got it. I was like what hell lol
anyway, loving my soundbar so far. it's amazing. no longer getting disconnected like i reported before.

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
post #388 of 5163 Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone on here help me with the shipping dimensions/weight? I'm going to have to get creative to get this overseas.

Last edited by TrickyAirman247; 02-08-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typo
post #389 of 5163 Old 02-10-2018, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any recommendations on a good place to get this soundbar? I see them at MSRP, do dealers etc. discount this? Any deals?
post #390 of 5163 Old 02-10-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk2 View Post
Any recommendations on a good place to get this soundbar? I see them at MSRP, do dealers etc. discount this? Any deals?
Originally this soundbar was estimated to go for hundreds of dollars more, but Nakamichi seems to have decided to market it for less, which is great for the consumer. Given this, I don't think you'll find it for any less than what a vendor like Amazon, or Best Buy is offering at. It is an amazing deal for the money as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page